IGNORED

Miss Raquel's 2nd Novel - Part 4

samurai_sarah

47 minutes ago, ari_belle said:

She posted a Father's Day pic on instagram. How many times a week does she mention her "Peruvian nose" or that her father is from Peru or that her mother is "Russian"? Jesus Christ.

Right?!?

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ari_belle said:

She posted a Father's Day pic on instagram. How many times a week does she mention her "Peruvian nose" or that her father is from Peru or that her mother is "Russian"? Jesus Christ.

What makes a nose Peruvian, dare I ask?

Just now, refugee said:

What makes a nose Peruvian, dare I ask?

And what makes her "mama's" cheekbones "Russian"?

Raquel, Raquel... I can't decide if I prefer to read snark about you, Erika Shupe, or Lady Lydia. At least the other two aren't sexual predators.

Aren't big hands a Russian trait too according to that first vlog?

She's on a romance tweet spree again. She's clearly changed so much from her latest trip.

Edit: Just checked her page. Sounds like college is a go. Best possible news for this poor "oregon human"

10 minutes ago, xRoo said:

She's on a romance tweet spree again. She's clearly changed so much from her latest trip.

Edit: Just checked her page. Sounds like college is a go. Best possible news for this poor "oregon human"

Poor campus humans.  

I have been craving to write

Oh Raquel! Go have fun at college. Just remember they don't like it if you copy stuff from Pinterest and try to pretend you wrote it.

Next week, I'm going to a little cabin up on an Oregon mountain to spend a few days.

She just took a two week vacation and now is taking another one? I'm not demanding money from God and I can't even afford to do that!

And plus, getting to start college and pursue a degree in a field that I am passionate about. 

She is going to try to be a journalist, I'm pretty sure of that.

I'm pretty sure I get bonus points for "hiking" in sandals (am I right?). 

Wrong, you get idiot points for that. 

Instagram had her bragging about how real northwesterners hike through wind, rain, 58 degree temps in sandals - or some such nonsense.  And had a pic of her standing on a rock.  Ummm okay, whatever.  I assume the location has something to do with her cabin in the woods (which is so far away she can still connect to social media)

We are talking about a human who was wise enough not to drive over a downed line when there was a storm but then got out and walked up a foot away from it to post it to her snap story, guys. 

Of course she hiked in sandals while it was raining. Probably one of the dudes she is with is the boyfriend, so the rain was necessary for the romance. 

"I, I, I."  She's fonder of that pronoun than the Donald of his self-tanner.

I hesitate to ask (especially because I'm new), but is there a way to see the stuff she's posted from her recent Peru trip? I ask because I think I've seen everything she posted from the previous ones, and didn't see anything that appeared inappropriate to me.

I've actually gone to Peru with that organization multiple times (though to different homes), and I'm confident that if she'd done something they considered inappropriate it would have been addressed immediately. They'll send people home for sneaking a cigarette, and wouldn't tolerate anything that might be detrimental to the kids or their mental health. The house parents and the group's guide (who is often the director of the homes, or his wife) are always around (usually tutors and a cook or two also), and groups are not allowed in the boy's rooms nor are the boys allowed in the group's rooms, if they're staying on-site. It seemed there was a lot of talk about her hugging the boys and laying in a hammock with one, and in my experience if you're in a hammock, there'll be a boy (usually age 7-10) climb in with you. The boys hug a lot, each other, the people from the groups, the house parents... they just do that. Sit long enough and one will snuggle up next to you or hang over your shoulder to see what you are doing - usually it'll be more than one doing it too. They tickle and arm-wrestle, and even the older ones act much younger than kids their age here would act. And they especially hug for photos, even if you were just sitting and talking before the camera came out. Many of them use the interaction with groups to help them work on their English, which can help them when they age out and the organization helps them find jobs or get into university. The house parents are pretty strict, so a "sleepover" on the porch would have had to be their suggestion and would have been supervised.

The organization is Christian but definitely not fundy, and is inspected by the government and do things strictly by-the-books. The groups are often church groups, but there are university groups that go as well, from both the US and UK. It's not a "church planting" type of "mission trip", it's a mixing concrete, sanding boards, replacing screens, building things and doing maintenance work type trip. When we've gone, most of our time is spent working. Socializing with the boys happens during meals and maybe in the evening when they're done with their homework.

I realize she's super immature and hypocritical and really needs to grow up, but I feel a lot of blame is being slanted toward the orphanage* when I know they're doing the best they can for these kids and would not tolerate anything that's being implied here. I'm wondering if it's just cultural differences viewed through Racquel's tellings and few photos that are making things seem inappropriate?

* They're not strictly speaking orphanages. It's kind of more like a group foster home situation - the house parents generally treat them as if they were their own children. Some of the kids are abandoned, but some get visits from their family, some were removed from their home due to neglect, some got caught for petty theft (stealing an orange from the market, for example) etc. Most if not all are getting counseling and some are working within the courts toward the possibility of reuniting with their birth families, although the system is so slow that they sometimes age out before that happens. They all go to school and have tutors at the home to help them catch up, and the organization helps each of them get established in university or the workplace once they've graduated school. I'm actually Facebook friends with a few of the kids I met on my first trip, and one of them speaks English fluently, has graduated college, and is working full time and traveling a bit as part of his work. Many of the members of groups I've gone with call them "my boys" when discussing going back. They're lovable.

She was not with the mission organization this time. It was a vacation and a surprise trip to the orphanage for the best friends birthday.

I would say this is inappropriate. A "gnawing soreness" to be held by him again? She took the hoodie of one of the teen boys so she could sleep with it and smell him. I'm sorry, that is totally inappropriate. If an adult male took clothes from an girl at a home like this so that he could sleep with the clothes and smell them, nobody would even be questioning if that was inappropriate. This alone should make is so she is not allowed back. 

Raquel is clearly using these boys to meet her need to be adored by males. 

I would put these in the inappropriate category too.

G.jpg

IMG_8014.jpg

Raquel does not need to be allowed back. And if they let her back, I'm going to judge them. One look at her blog, instagram, twitter feed shows a person who doesn't need to be at that boy's home. 

Another big difference is these kids aren't 7. She's not taking on a mother figure here. MAYBE it's cultural difference, I don't think so.

She talked about snuggling and whispering with some of these boys on a porch all night long. She is for sure not being a mother figure to these teen boys, she is acting more like a teen girl flirting with the, except she is a grown ass woman. 

15 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

She talked about snuggling and whispering with some of these boys on a porch all night long. She is for sure not being a mother figure to these teen boys, she is acting more like a teen girl flirting with the, except she is a grown ass woman. 

I'm sure that this was not one of the teen boys. I could be wrong, of course, but having been around these kids, I'm pretty certain. These kids know what the boundaries are, they know the groups are only there a limited time, and I've never seen one of the teens crawl into a hammock with a group member even when there were girls near their age in the group. It's always one of the younger kids. The kids are between 6 or so and 18, and skew toward the middle of that age range.

Thanks for the examples! With the exception of the Instagram post I'm still seeing the exact same sorts of photos everyone comes away with. I do not think she should be visiting on her own without a group and I think that she is projecting her need for attention on these kids. She needs to remember (or learn) where the boundaries should be.

I may find and follow her instagram and share it with the director of the homes. It's highly likely she's being closely supervised when she's there and the boys have been spoken to. I think what we are seeing is being filtered through her wanting to show off.

Also, these kids are pretty street-wise. They know that if she gets attached, that means good things for them down the road. She'll bring them gifts, maybe wire them money once they're on their own and friend her on social media. That sort of thing is heavily discouraged in the home, but once they're on their own there's not much to be done about it. She's not breaking their hearts.

Raquel seems to focus on the closer to 18 age. It is very concerning to me that what she did with that hoodie didn't automatically mean she was banned from coming back. I'm sorry, that right there is extremely inappropriate behavior. 

Seriously, just imagine an adult man posting pictures of himself with two teen girls kissing him or with a teen girl on his back and writing about longing and aching to be held by that girl. Or him taking her jacket and sleeping with it. Absolutely no one would question if that man was a predator who needs to be kept away from teen girls. It is no different when Raquel does it. So why isn't this place questioning her?

11 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

I think what we are seeing is being filtered through her wanting to show off.

I hope so, and if so, it is just another reason she should be banned from being there. She is making up fantasies and using these teen boys to show off. Not a good candidate to be in a boy's home, is it? 

Honest question why would they let her back? Do they think what she wrote and her taking a hoodie to sleep with is normal for an adult woman to do with a teen boy? 

Just now, formergothardite said:

Honest question why would they let her back? Do they think what she wrote and her taking a hoodie to sleep with is normal for an adult woman to do with a teen boy? 

Honestly I don't know why she is allowed back. And I don't know that we are getting the whole story, either. Did she take it or did he gift it to her? The age difference could be less than three years, did the house parents just think it was a cute "crush" thing to do? The kids like to give gifts (usually crafts or friendship bracelets or drawings), did they just think it was part of that? I don't know, and I desperately hope that she truly does just consider them brothers and friends as she keeps posting over and over. She's super young still, and other than the Peru stuff her posts are the same as every other 16-23 year old I am friends with on Facebook. Clueless and over-sharing, with every little thing being the world's biggest drama.

I do know that her Instagram is being followed by the home director's wife (who is in charge of the groups) and I know the two of them well enough to know that if they thought she was any danger to the boys she'd never be allowed back. The boys' well-being is their prime concern. She's not being left alone with them.

I just am bothered by the implication that this one clueless barely-adult girl is causing the whole organization to be looked on as suspect. She's been there less than 15 days total, it looks like, at one home. They have multiple homes, each helping up to 30 or so children, plus a school for the deaf and support for former residents of their homes. They're good people. This girl needs to GTFO and grow up.

No one is implying that the organization is at fault for her behavior as far as I have seen. We've mostly assumed they were unaware. I believe a member of FJ contacted the organization in the past to make sure they knew what was going on.

12 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

I do know that her Instagram is being followed by the home director's wife (who is in charge of the groups) and I know the two of them well enough to know that if they thought she was any danger to the boys she'd never be allowed back.

Well I hope that she saw this:

A dull pain. A gnawing soreness to be with them. It’s a desire to be held in their arms. A want to see their smile, hear their voice, smell their scent. 

which Raquel wrote about the teen boys and called her up to inform her that this is grossly inappropriate and Raquel isn't allowed back, But since Raquel appears to think she is going back in this year, I'm not sure that happened. 

Raquel is an adult. And people need to treat her as an adult. Trustworthy adults don't take clothing from teens and then write about how they sleep with it to keep the scent of the teen boy around. Yes, this organization will get judged if they know a person has behaved in such a way and they allow her back. There is no world where a woman sleeping with clothing from a teen boy she was supposed to be helping is okay. There is no justification for what she did. 

18 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

The age difference could be less than three years, did the house parents just think it was a cute "crush" thing to do

That is a bit concerning. They need to treat the adults that come in there as adults and make sure that the adults who arrive know that there needs to be some clear boundaries and to try to minimize the whole "crush" thing. At Raquel's age I was working with teens, and I had to be super careful to maintain boundaries and not encourage any crushes. Raquel seems to be wanting the crushes to feed her ego. 

Everything Raquel does is to get male attention. I knew girls like that in high school, it was quite sad and pathetic. She's the same way. Probably feels like she's the most beautiful thing on Earth and every guy falls in love with her the minute he lays eyes on her.

There's a term for this- low self-esteem.

I'm not sure the "best friend" and hoodie owner is a kid from the home. Would he be allowed to keep a cell phone? Or spend his day hanging out with Raquel? 

I got the impression that she met him at the orphanage and that he's come of age now, or something. I may have jumped to conclusions on that though.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived