IGNORED

Pulse Nightclub, Orlando Domestic Terror

SpoonfulOSugar

14 hours ago, FJismyheadship said:

The killer was identified as Omar Mateen, a US citizen of Afghan heritage from Port St. Lucie, Florida.

His parents emigrated here in the early 1980's.  I wonder if the president at the time will be mentioned, by name, in certain circles.  Not here, as we all know how to look it up if we can't recall before our morning cup of coffee.

I wish I were surprised that Darth Barbie and her even dumber daughter felt obliged to open up their nasty hypocritical selfish mouths to bray. 

I'm deferred from blood donation for another couple of months, but I'll lean on my elder child (who has donated in the past) to do so again.  I will also take this opportunity to lean on the Resident Adolescent to find the backbone to donate - despite utter and absolute terror of needles and getting overpowered by the smell of blood. 

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Blood donation is a complicated issue, and personally I don't think it's just about homophobia. Currently a man who has had sex with a man (MSM) since 1977 can never donate, and someone who has had sex with a MSM must wait a year to donate, but the policy is changing so that MSM will have a year-long deferral, rather than a life-long deferral. I think I agree with the change They turn also defer people who have engaged in various other risky behaviors within the past year, including getting a tattoo, staying in jail for more than three days, and visiting a country where malaria is found. (Source for all of the above.) I actually just got turned away a week ago because my heart rate was too high.

There is also a life-long deferral for people who have ever injected drugs (PWID), and I'm not aware of any plans to change that, even though the HIV prevalence in PWID in the US is much lower than in MSM in the US. (Source here and here)

I can understand screening out people who have lived in countries where blood-borne communicable diseases are very common and may be hard to prevent (you pretty much have to actively try, be very careless, or be the victim of some really, really bad circumstances to get HIV, but with other blood-borne diseases, all it takes is a mosquito, which you might not even notice, or touching poop, which is surprisingly easy to do without knowing) or detect (a lot of people who get malaria feel fine for a while...until they don't), but at this point, don't they screen all donated blood super-thoroughly? If someone who has HIV donates, the blood gets screened, whoopsies, it's infected, toss it out. Or if a person wants to donate, do you have unprotected sex? Are you using dirty needles? Do you have HIV? Yes? No donation for you. I think the rule against MSM and IV drug users is discriminatory and should be done away with.

I live in Adelaide, South Australia. Our football stadium is lit with rainbow lights and a vigil has been held, as they have across our country. We are far away physically but we are one world and all our lives are damaged by this.

A little late in the game but : All my thoughts are with you all! And I'll ask my grandma to pray for you ! The country of Freedom deserves way better than that.

I don't feel the need to read what the haters have to say about this terrorism attack, so I'll stop here but my motto is still the same :  keep smiling, living and fucking breathing until those motherf*chers of terrorists die.

12 hours ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

OneBlood did indeed say the FDA rules remained in place.  Part of the confusion appears to be that the FDA rules changed in December, but have not been updated by OneBlood yet.

Blood donation.png

12 hours ago, Dreadcrumbs said:

OneBlood denied the ban lift on Twitter.

Thank you for correcting what I posted by the BBC, I had hoped that the BBC had the correct information and feel sad that it was not true.

Like many others who have had their local landmarks lit up in support, my town lit up our local landmark in solidarity last night. My heart continues to break for the world in which actions of hate cause so much suffering.

@miffy thanks for posting PP response to what happened. He is an ass!!  I'm sure he said this to his followers!  

I'm so sad, sending all my thoughts and prayers to the victims.... And life and tolerance must triumph over hate....

Ugh. Can I just say I hate the people claiming "We're not homophobic... We're not afraid to be around homosexuals."? Fine, don't like the term? How about "bigot"? Is that a better one?

We had a prayer vigil at my church yesterday. I also spent the the past 2 days comforting my SIL and her wife and friends.

THIS INSANITY HAS TO STOP!!

I went to the local gayborhood (town could be Fire Island 2.0) last night looking for something in solidarity with Orlando and found nothing.  Even the gay bar there had nothing.

I wanted to attend a vigil.  

8 hours ago, EyeQueue said:

Absolutely. Queen and Princess Dumbass of the Northwoods need to shut their fucking yaps about things they know nothing about.

Which (it's been amply demonstrated) is pretty much everything.

Every time someone from that family speaks up I say fuck you very much John McCain for inflicting that family on us all.  Seriously.  If he hadn't chosen her as VP she'd just be another Republican Governor in a crowd and not the albatross around our necks forever. 

10 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Blood donation is a complicated issue, and personally I don't think it's just about homophobia. Currently a man who has had sex with a man (MSM) since 1977 can never donate, and someone who has had sex with a MSM must wait a year to donate, but the policy is changing so that MSM will have a year-long deferral, rather than a life-long deferral. I think I agree with the change They turn also defer people who have engaged in various other risky behaviors within the past year, including getting a tattoo, staying in jail for more than three days, and visiting a country where malaria is found. (Source for all of the above.) I actually just got turned away a week ago because my heart rate was too high.

There is also a life-long deferral for people who have ever injected drugs (PWID), and I'm not aware of any plans to change that, even though the HIV prevalence in PWID in the US is much lower than in MSM in the US. (Source here and here)

And if you were living in (certain countries? in) Europe, at the time of Mad Cow disease, you are (so far as I know) forever banned from giving blood in the US. My spouse is/was a universal donor, and the local Red Cross office used to call him every six weeks (I think it was... It was like one day past the earliest time you can donate, after having donated), like clockwork, to remind him to donate. We used to go in together to donate, as a matter of fact, even though I hated needles. (Still do.) But not since Mad Cow, even though it was decades ago.

1 hour ago, 47of74 said:

Every time someone from that family speaks up I say fuck you very much John McCain for inflicting that family on us all.  Seriously.  If he hadn't chosen her as VP she'd just be another Republican Governor in a crowd and not the albatross around our necks forever. 

On a DC visit, I ran into John McCain in the halls of one of the Senate buildings.  Upon telling my family about it, my grandfather (who used the term 'teabagger' liberally until his death last year) asked me why I didn't ask him why he never apologized for unleashing a rabid dog on this country.

This whole situation stuns and saddens me. And I hate how so many figures are using this tragedy to immediately push their own political or social agenda. This isn't an opportunity. It's a fucking tragedy. I just want to cry and hide from this horrible disgusting world. Love and prayers to all the victims and their loved ones.

*mod hat on*

Folks, there are people in our own community who are hurting from this.

Please be sensitive.  There are threads in NHB and elsewhere where you can take discussions of gun control, fundamentalism and other hot topics related to this.  If you cannot find one, start one.  But just as politicians using tragedy for points is distasteful, so, too, is a bunch of politicking here.

10 minutes ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

*mod hat on*

Folks, there are people in our own community who are hurting from this.

Please be sensitive.  There are threads in NHB and elsewhere where you can take discussions of gun control, fundamentalism and other hot topics related to this.  If you cannot find one, start one.  But just as politicians using tragedy for points is distasteful, so, too, is a bunch of politicking here.

I suggest that the mods will make two threads regarding the attack. One for condolences only, one for discussion. And, if possible, move the posts here to the right thread.

My brother is Transgender and Bi. So this has hit close to home for me - closer than I really wanted to admit. He was at a Conference in Philadelphia concerning Transgender issues last weekend. I keep wondering what could have happened if his Conference had been targeted instead and it makes my skin crawl.

Anyone who wants to help or show support - please consider donating blood to the Red Cross or donating time or money to one of the many LGBTQ advocacy groups across the country. Your blood may not help one of the victims of this shooting, but it could save another person and it's a wonderful way to honor those who were harmed so senselessly. Or, consider donating to the GoFundMe account setup by Equality Florida for the victims and their families. They've raised over 1.7 million dollars in one day.

https://www.gofundme.com/PulseVictimsFund

Hate only wins if we let it win. All my love to the victims, their loved ones, Orlando, and the greater LGBTQ community. 

There are days that if I could I'd leave the US and never return except for funerals of family members.  Yesterday and today are prime examples of such days.

And for the "Murica, love it or leave it crowd" I'm at the point where I have no issue pointing out that's the same sort of rhetoric that abusive people use against their victims to get them to stay in toxic relationships and that psychological garbage has no effect on me anymore.

The hatred I'm seeing on the internet makes me want to cry.

A supposed friend of mine went to the page of a drag queen I'm friends with and posted nasty hateful words about how he wouldn't want blood from a man who has "had it in someone else's shithole"

He has been blocked and I apologized to the Queen he said that to but it makes me want to cry. I nearly started blubbering right here in the middle of school.

I really don't understand the hate.

1 hour ago, Clementine said:

I suggest that the mods will make two threads regarding the attack. One for condolences only, one for discussion. And, if possible, move the posts here to the right thread.

There is no need to make two threads.  There is already a gun control topic available and all of that discussion is being moved.  I'm sure there are plenty of fundie threads also available.  Thank you to all who respect that and don't make me keep looking through this thread.

I'd also suggest that if you want to donate blood wait a week or so. A lot of people are donating right now, which is wonderful, but blood only lasts 42 days and the Red Cross will need more donors once the current rush has settled down.

I don't really know how to react to this news. A few days ago I had a conversation with friends about how I can't believe there are people who care about someone being gay. Gays can serve in the military now, marry who they want, adopt kids, work for government, work at schools, star in mainstream movies and television. Yes, some of this still requires sacrifice or struggle, but it can be done. Now a few days later a mass shooting because some guy can't handle living in a world with gay people? I really don't understand. The support of this has been abhorrent. I'm disgusted. 

The only positive thing to come out of this, is that a few homophobes I know are getting this "shoved in their faces" a little bit more. Light up moon in rainbow colors, I say. Let them see that gay people are people and are not going away. 

7 hours ago, Gellhorn said:

I will also take this opportunity to lean on the Resident Adolescent to find the backbone to donate - despite utter and absolute terror of needles and getting overpowered by the smell of blood. 

Please don't. As someone that used to be that terrified of needles, that's a really awful thing to do. There are other things that  can be done to help.

Courtney Enlow wife of Producer Scott Enlow of 19 Kids and Counting and Counting On is pretty vocal on her twitter page about different subjects happening in the news. She has quite a mouth on her in some of her posts . It looks like she supports the LGBT Community but then a piece she wrote a couple weeks ago spouted out about a White Society and how she remarked she is for it. I am surprised Jim Bob and Michelle haven't seen her messages on her LGBT support especially in light of the new murders down in Orlando and fired her and her husband. Enlow makes some thought provoking statements. She tends to lean to the very liberal side with a dash of Duggar Conservatism thrown in for good measure. She has been hanging around the Duggars too much. TLC must pay her and Scott some damn good money to put up with the Duggars shit.

Archived