IGNORED

Pulse Nightclub, Orlando Domestic Terror

SpoonfulOSugar

It sounds like homophobia was a big part of this. And yes, there are lots of people who will try to turn this into an ebil Muslim event instead of looking at how the anti-gay movement played into this and a discussion about the current gun laws in America. 

This is just such a tragic, senseless event. :my_sad:

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, bashfulpixie said:

@JesusCampSongs  That is really interesting.  I guess I just make that assumption because not everyone who is mentally ill is diagnosed.  I feel like something has to break in someone's brain in order to make them do something like that.  I like to hope that no sane person who ever do something like this.  I know I'm probably wrong, but it helps me sleep better at night...

As I often say, "Asshole is not a mental illness." 

Unfortunately, we Americans live in a society that has serious problems with racism, sexism, homophobia, xenophobia...the list goes on and on, and our political climate not only endorses these problems, it paints anyone in opposition to them as members of a hostile, alien force trying to take over and ruin the American Way of Life. So much ideological violence in this country, from abortion clinic bombings to shooting rampages against college-aged women to lynchings to murders of transpeople, are so much less about the aggressor having deranged ideas or being sick in the head and are so much more about following any number of fucked up, but nonetheless socially acceptable, views to their logical conclusion. And all the incendiary rhetoric of the twenty-four hour news cycle really doesn't help. 

4 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

It sounds like homophobia was a big part of this. And yes, there are lots of people who will try to turn this into an ebil Muslim event instead of looking at how the anti-gay movement played into this and a discussion about the current gun laws in America. 

Yeah, it would be nice if we could take a day to mourn the lives of 50 people without arguing about ideology at all, but obviously that isn't going to happen.

48 minutes ago, notsocommon said:

I don know how to post images here, but check out Dan Patrick's page (TX lt gov)

He posted an image with "God will not be mocked.... a man reaps what he sows."

I turned down a high paying state job once I found our I'd be under this asslord. Don't regret it one bit.

Edit: the POS deleted it. At least he has his ass handed to him in the comments!

image.png

absolutely disgusting and totally tone deaf. this guy should be fired.

famous people, especially politicians, shouldn't be able to delete anything they put on social media. it should be there forever! if they want to be assholes, they have to own up to it forever. not put something out there and then only apologize when people get upset about it.

26 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

The anti-gay movement and conservative religious ideology from all kinds of religions go hand in hand. Those idiotic politicians and clergy members who love to villainize the gays are partly responsible for crimes like this.

I wonder what the Republicans will say, since some of their members and some of their favourite preachers are the ones who love to incite the public against gays.

I didn't see a post concerning this, but really feel it should be discussed. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/orlando-attack-deadliest-mass-shooting-000000910.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/06/12/orlando-nightclub-shooting-about-20-dead-in-domestic-terror-incident-at-gay-club/?utm_term=.68530fd768c5

The shooting occurred at an Orlando club, Pulse, that's popular with the LGBTQ community. At least 50 people were killed and 53 were injured. The gunman was killed as well. His family is saying they do not believe religion played a role, but he did recently become enraged at the sight of two gay men kissing recently. I read that they offered their apologies for the attack and that they are in as much shock as anyone else over his actions.

This is an absolutely horrific crime. My heart goes out to all those who may have been impacted and my thoughts are with the loved ones of the victims.

25 minutes ago, Sundaymorning said:

The anti-gay movement and conservative religious ideology from all kinds of religions go hand in hand. Those idiotic politicians and clergy members who love to villainize the gays are partly responsible for crimes like this.

I wonder what the Republicans will say, since some of their members and some of their favourite preachers are the ones who love to incite the public against gays.

They'll just deflect the conversation away from homophobia they helped incite and inflame by inflaming and inciting more racism.

Donald Trump is turning is already saying that America needs to be "tough, smart and vigilant". He is going to turn this into an event to stir up more hatred against immigrants and Muslims all while ignoring that a good chunk of his supporters love to hate gay people. 

I just read about this a few minutes ago, and am still trying to process it. Its incidents like this, that make me break down and pray. I pray for the victims, I pray for their families, and I pray for humanity.I know it is way too much to ask for, but can't the hate and madness, just fucking stop already?

These souls did nothing to this guy, other than exist, and they got massacred for just existing. They didn't deserve that, NOBODY fucking deserves that. It makes me sick to my stomach, to even think that someone, had this much hatred in their heart, to do something this horrific.  

My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone that is affected by this, even if they weren't there. To all the posters here that are LGBTQ, I am sorry from the depths of my soul, that this happened to your community. It truly breaks my heart (and fills me with impotent rage), that you have to face so much senseless hate. 

1 minute ago, hoipolloi said:

I've given up trying to second-guess what the gun lobby & the NRA would actually think was reasonable. Gave up years ago, particularly after Sandy Hook.

If they're going to keep clinging to the idea that something that was relevant and logical in 1789 still is today, they should go all the way: I want to see them wearing powdered wigs and four-foot-wide skirts, using horse piss as a cosmetic, slashing their arms open when they get the flu, fighting over who gets to hand the president his underpants in the morning, putting criminals on boats to Australia, and letting spiders make nests in their hair.

Just after 2am this morning, there was a mass shooting at Pulse Nightclub near downtown Orlando. 50 dead and 53 injured by a lone gunman with an assault rifle. Some are calling this a hate crime because the Pulse was a gay club. Others are saying it might could be terrorism based on the identity of the shooter.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-orlando-shooting-pulse-nightclub-story.html

HuffPo is calling this "the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/terror-shooting-at-gay-club_us_575d5938e4b0e39a28add1b4?icdjbjtgevmwjyvi

Having been a past resident of Orlando and frequent attendee at Pulse, this really hits home for me. 

My thoughts and condolences to those who loved the victims. It's such a pointless and senseless act of violence that will leave people scarred and hurt forever. I'm grieving with you.

This breaks my heart. One of my best friends celebrated her marriage to her wife yesterday. Today is her birthday, and she's going to wake up to this news. :(

I'm so sick of senseless violence. 

I'm just now aware of the Orlando nightclub slaughter early this morning.  My heart breaks.

NBC News just mentioned a potential assault was thwarted in Los Angeles at a Pride event.  Which now freaks me out.  Because I have a family member at the Chicago Pride event (at least I think it's this weekend).

Regardless, such a tragedy.

45 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Donald Trump is turning is already saying that America needs to be "tough, smart and vigilant". He is going to turn this into an event to stir up more hatred against immigrants and Muslims all while ignoring that a good chunk of his supporters love to hate gay people. 

The man makes my skin crawl. Fifty people senselessly dead and he says he 'appreciates' being right. 

Ashamed that he is a presidential nominee.

7 minutes ago, refugee said:

Ha. If there is any truth in it at all (the claim that the post was created and scheduled last Thursday), then maybe the jerk is possibly reaping what he sowed.

I can smell the bullshit that is that statement he made all the way from here in Iowa.  You dry out what Patrick said and you could fertilize every yard in North and South America.

IF that post was prescheduled, it should have been quickly removed with a sincere apology and explanation.

I would be absolutely horrified and falling all over myself apologizing and explaining how it was a horrible coincidence and in no way reflected my actual feelings on the matter.

The lack of this on his page speaks volumes.

I know I shouldn't because it makes me mad and upset but I sometimes will read the comments on Fox News Facebook.  The comments today are disgusting.  50 people are dead and even more injured and all you're doing is complaining about what the president is saying.  Get a grip on your hateful nature, it's disgusting at a time like this.

This came up in my feed.

Wonder if it will get any real attention? Curious as to who one suspect is.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/12/us/california-west-hollywood-suspect-aresenal/index.html

I really want to deliver some well deserved smackdowns on FB, but I am in the middle of an extensive hiring process that involves an intense background check and no doubt a look at my social media.

I have to behave myself!

Holy crap, @notsocommon... from the initial article, looks like they got ahead of a possible tragedy.  Let's see if more info comes out on this one, or if it gets buried under other stories.   Thanks for sharing.

Archived