IGNORED

What's Going On in Maxhell? A Whole Lotta Nothing, Pt. 2

FundieFarmer

I spoke too soon. There IS a birthday post for Tina up! Steve and Teri went to Nathan's place for an indoor picnic. Tina is full of spunk and witty comments! 

Her birthday dessert-y-thing was cookies, which spelled out Happy Birthday.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live in Wisconsin, and we use the word "takeaway" all the time to refer to the lessons or helpful tidbits I glean from something.

Nice post about Christina's birthday. Considering its rare that they do post about the extended family it was nice to see. 

So, Nathan must have a job away from the house if he wasn't at the kitchen floor picnic.

Maybe he was taking the photos?

In the Christina post Sarah says, "I think birthdays are such special days.", and I agree.

But, her own parents were willing to take any celebrations away if they thought the kids were becoming too self centered.

I'd love to know if the second generation Maxwells are raising their kids like that. 

23 minutes ago, kpmom said:

In the Christina post Sarah says, "I think birthdays are such special days.", and I agree.

But, her own parents were willing to take any celebrations away if they thought the kids were becoming too self centered.

I'd love to know if the second generation Maxwells are raising their kids like that. 

I never got that reasoning about taking birthdays away if the child was being self-centered.  

I think the next generation is being raised similar to the first. I doubt the kids have any friends outside the family & cousins. 

Birthday's are a great day for being self-centered. I'm 28 and I still like being treated in a special way that day. The Queen of the day 

31 minutes ago, MissAmelie said:

Birthday's are a great day for being self-centered. I'm 28 and I still like being treated in a special way that day. The Queen of the day 

The Maxwell's feel it's wrong for a child to be self centered on their birthday. I think they think if they are self-centered on that day they will be other days. 

Is Christina now four?  I was just wondering about the plastic bib. I'm only asking for information, not for snark purposes; but what do you all think is a reasonable age to let a child go without a bib?

I have kept my four-year-old great niece all day and her parents did not leave a bib. I did not even consider finding a bib for her and she was nearly spotless after each meal.  She IS four and a half; and at this stage those six months make a big difference, I know.  Just wondering if this is a Maxwell thing or a standard thing for a pre-school aged child.  I'm a bit beyond that stage so things are a little fuzzy in my memory.

The grandkids have given up bib before 18 months.  Daycare/pre-school where they go leaves off bibs at about a year.

@usmcmom, I think 4 is rather old for a normal child to be wearing a bib.  Now, if the child had CP or some other disability that caused them to be a messy eater...

Regarding bibs, it really depends on the kid. My 2 year old rarely wears a bib these days, but my 4 year old wore one regularly until about 3-3.5. He still uses one occasionally - I actually made him wear one today because he was wearing a white shirt and eating curry at a restaurant. He's too excited about eating to care about staying clean some days... 

Does it bother anyone else that they're having her birthday picnic all crammed in on the kitchen floor?  Wouldn't it have been better in a more open space, like the living room or a play room?  And if the issue is messes on carpet, could they not have pushed the dining table out of the way just for one day???

I don't know why this bothers me so much, but it really does. 

On June 17, 2016 at 9:22 PM, goldbu said:

Regarding bibs, it really depends on the kid. My 2 year old rarely wears a bib these days, but my 4 year old wore one regularly until about 3-3.5. He still uses one occasionally - I actually made him wear one today because he was wearing a white shirt and eating curry at a restaurant. He's too excited about eating to care about staying clean some days... 

I usually tuck a napkin into my collar and I turned 4, several decades ago!  It's worth the snickers when I leave the table without a stained shirt. ;)

On 6/18/2016 at 0:40 AM, MissAmelie said:

Hell, I'm 24, turning 25 in a few months, and I still like feeling a little special on my birthday. I remember how wonderful and appreciated I felt when my coworkers bought me a blueberry cheesecake (since they found out that blueberries are my favorite fruit and cheesecake is my favorite kind of cake) and sang "Happy Birthday" in two languages (English and Chinese) to me for my 23rd when I lived in Shanghai.

The father's day post is up. In a 'twist' (a twist in Maxhell, which is to say, not a twist at all) each kid shares a memory.

They are all very sad, to me. The only one that even comes close to a childhood memory that isn't forced to include god, is Nathan's. 

I am, again, reminded how very grateful I am to have grown up outside Maxhell. My parents weren't married, and my dad was only around sporadically, but even I can share stories and experiences with him that are about life and him as my father, that far surpass anything a Maxwell could come up with for their LORD and master. My father was no shining star, but he was a human being.

Jesus, that was depressing to read. If my siblings and I were asked to do a memory post for Father's Day (which to me sounds morbid) we would have nothing but funny stories and normal things to say about him. I thank God I grew up in a family with sarcasm, jokes, and freedom. 

Mary's comment is right up there with Anna's "I know I deserve death" thanksgiving post. A 5 year old's fondest memory of her father shouldn't be how he explained heaven, hell, sin and death. Oh, and Jesus. Darn and I just remember those special trips to the museum of natural history and the planetarium, or Radio City or best of all, when we used to build slot cars and race them together. I guess Dad was doing it wrong. 

I thought it was strange that Nathan and Christopher's memories did not include the ages they were at the time. So vague. According to Steve's fax to Sarah, she was apparently called Little Duck by Steve back in the day. And Steve mentioned the younger kids being challenging. Interesting! Poor depressed Teri, had to have 8 kids because Jesus.

5 minutes ago, Jingerale said:

There are a lot of similarities with Steve's fax to Sarah, and Sarah's writing style in the Moody books.

That all she knows. 

I actually think Anna and Sarah's memories were kind of sweet. The fax was a little formal but I would have been excited to get my own fax as a kid. I can understand Anna being excited by seeing a fancy hotel. I have done that when on vacation in a new place. I like to see the inside of the hotels I am not staying in. While in Hawaii, I drove to see the Disney Hotel Aulani and I wasn't staying anywhere nearby. 

On 6/17/2016 at 5:15 PM, Jana814 said:

I think the next generation is being raised similar to the first. I doubt the kids have any friends outside the family & cousins. 

Nathan's and Melanie's kids may have the best chance of meeting others outside of their Maxhell cousins or their maternal cousins, if the maternal cousins have friends and they are allowed to make their acquaintance.  

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived