IGNORED

What's Going On in Maxhell? A Whole Lotta Nothing, Pt. 2

FundieFarmer

Sarah really doesn't understand what the word twist is supposed to mean does she? Although I'm sure in their isolated, dreary world any idea at all is exciting and new to them.

The best memory John could come up with was being put to work on the weekends? Geez. If that was a good day, what must a bad day have been like?

Seriously, their lives make me so sad if I think about it too deeply.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

I thought it was strange that Nathan and Christopher's memories did not include the ages they were at the time. So vague. According to Steve's fax to Sarah, she was apparently called Little Duck by Steve back in the day. And Steve mentioned the younger kids being challenging. Interesting! Poor depressed Teri, had to have 8 kids because Jesus.

What was strange about the fax was the total lack of saying anything kind, loving, or personal about who Steve-O was sending it to except for the "Little Duck."  Basically, he said "That was very surprising and kind that you sent me that note. Your gratefulness was very warming. (Seriously??) The younger kids really drive me crazy."  And that's IT! Nothing about Sarah herself. Tell her you love her, you ninny. Tell her about something endearing about her. Tell her how much she means to you. But no. It was only a fax about himself and not the Little Duck. She was Poor Sarah then too.

The fax was interesting. It didn't "read" like a note from a father to a daughter, it was more like an email between work friends. Steve thanked her for her interest and encouragement, rambled about his coworker handling his mail, hoped that her day wasn't too stressful with the "little ones", and cut it short to get back to work. It's not totally impersonal, but there is none of the tenderness of fatherhood in it.

That fax also really reinforces the idea that the Maxwell house was completely under Sarah's care during the years that the babies kept coming, and Steve was at work. 

14 hours ago, sparkles said:

Mary's comment is right up there with Anna's "I know I deserve death" thanksgiving post. A 5 year old's fondest memory of her father shouldn't be how he explained heaven, hell, sin and death. Oh, and Jesus. Darn and I just remember those special trips to the museum of natural history and the planetarium, or Radio City or best of all, when we used to build slot cars and race them together. I guess Dad was doing it wrong. 

Yeah, my fondest memories of hanging out with my dad at age 5 involved him teaching me how to do woodworking, going to the local diner to eat egg sandwiches for breakfast, or him taking me to the Disney Store at the mall. Or a bit later in my childhood, helping him home-brew beer. The memories the Maxwell kids shared are so impersonal and just show how little Steve is emotionally invested in his children.

Well, none of them involved Jesus other than Mary's. Maybe Sarah/Steve was worried by the lack of Jesus and wanted someone to add a Jesus-related memory? Who knows. Mary's is definitely the saddest.

Thinking about Anna's memory, I'm wondering if, since she was so interested in all the buildings she saw that day as well as the interior of the hotel, she might have pursued a career as an architect or an interior designer if given the chance.  But she had no chance and that makes me sad for her.

My father died when I was nine and my sister was three.  One of my favorite memories I have was when he took us for a short drive in his work van (think something like a UPS vehicle, except white).  We didn't go far, just up the road and over the bridge but since he worked in the city and was gone from before we got up in the morning until the evening, it was a treat for us to spend time hanging out with him.

On 6/19/2016 at 10:57 AM, nastyhobbitses said:

Hell, I'm 24, turning 25 in a few months, and I still like feeling a little special on my birthday. I remember how wonderful and appreciated I felt when my coworkers bought me a blueberry cheesecake (since they found out that blueberries are my favorite fruit and cheesecake is my favorite kind of cake) and sang "Happy Birthday" in two languages (English and Chinese) to me for my 23rd when I lived in Shanghai.

When I turned 49, I told my co-workers what I wanted for food, etc. for my 50th birthday. Then I would remind them periodically lol. So queen for the day, yes. And I ate cake for the next few days, so bite me Steve.

On 6/19/2016 at 11:12 PM, Pastors Daughter said:

What was strange about the fax was the total lack of saying anything kind, loving, or personal about who Steve-O was sending it to except for the "Little Duck."  Basically, he said "That was very surprising and kind that you sent me that note. Your gratefulness was very warming. (Seriously??) The younger kids really drive me crazy."  And that's IT! Nothing about Sarah herself. Tell her you love her, you ninny. Tell her about something endearing about her. Tell her how much she means to you. But no. It was only a fax about himself and not the Little Duck. She was Poor Sarah then too.

It is definitely odd and very Steve, but both my husband and my dad have a really hard time expressing emotions in writing, even though they are both loving people. I think it's a man thing to some extent. 

I am surprised that Steve used to leave notes for his kids. If a normal dad did this, it would be endearing, but Steve's notes were probably intended to guilt or shame the kids into behaving like Moody-bots.

I wonder how many of these stories were written by Little Duck or by the names they are credited to?

Intresting that Stud John could only come up with four lines - lol and Jesses fond memories of Stevie are going grocery shopping! Also note that only Artist Anna mentions the Jesus name.

But of course the fax proves again that Little Duck was the sister mum to the reversals whilst Terri had a rest on the bed.

I don't think my memories of my dad are any better than John's. It's partially because I've been angry with my father for about 30 years, and partially that I'm not very good at expressing sentimental emotions, especially publically. 

What a weird fax. Was that normal to send faxes to your residence? Why? Why didn't he just call home to check on the kids? 

My cousins (who lost their dad, my uncle, this year) shared memories on fb about their dad last Sunday. What a contrast to the bleak lives of the Maxwells! These stories were much more, um, colorful. Full of "remember when dad came home early and we had 150+ people in the house?" and "Haha remember the time he did this funny thing?" Maxwell memories are just so boring! Like their lives. 

Whoa. A secret rendezvous with the Bontragers! May is the month that the Maxwells had the mysterious guests that went with them to the zoo as well. Somebody must have put a few extra beans in the burritos in April. This is an unprecedented amount of seemingly non-business related socializing for the Maxwells.

But... I bet it is business related. The Maxwells don't have much left in the tank for their conference business alone. The Bontragers have a ton of similar interests (Ted Cruz propaganda on the blog, forcible evangelism to the elderly, etc.), and a bus that they drive around the country as a home base for their singing. Steve probably has bus envy, and a radical plan for pushing MOTH onto the unsuspecting Gospel Bluegrass crowds as some sort of opening act.

If by some miracle it's not about StevEnterprises, I guess this could be about encouraging a match between John to either Chelsy or Allison. Much like the Maxwells, the Bontragers seem to be struggling to marry off their adult children. They have 5 children over the age of 18, two of which are daughters, and all are still at home.

Side note: Weirdly, the Bontragers have a son named Joshua Maxwell.

Great find!  And my bet is a courtship between Allison and John.  He's the sprinkler guy and they have a farm -- match made in heaven!

2 minutes ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

Wow, lots of travels recently. Where do the Bontragers live?

They live in Iowa.  Obviously willing to move to the compound in Kansas is a pre-qualification for any kind of courtship, though.

Just now, WonderingInWA said:

They live in Iowa.  Obviously willing to move to the compound in Kansas is a pre-qualification for any kind of courtship, though.

Obviously;-)

Thanks for the info. 

I saw that photo of the Maxwells on the Bontrager family blog too. Courtship or not, I'm sure the Maxwell kids enjoyed the f*n and all the food the Bontragers serve! Way more than just two animal crackers!

1 minute ago, BiblebeltCath said:

I saw that photo of the Maxwells on the Bontrager family blog too. Courtship or not, I'm sure the Maxwell kids enjoyed the f*n and all the food the Bontragers serve! Way more than just two animal crackers!

And meat!  It looks like they had burgers.  The Maxwells don't normally eat much meat (though when asked, they have said they are not vegetarians).  They must have been thrilled.

Wow, they're socializing without parents present! Anna's smile looks more genuine than I've ever seen it. They're having fun! Good for them!

The Maxwell parents are enjoying sweet fellowship in Colorado, sans the kidults! Things are wild and crazy in Maxhell--the trip was planned in only 24 hours! Let's all thank the Lord who opened doors for them, and allowed them to find a cabin in which to celebrate their anniversary. Oh yeah, this celebratory trip came about because they are also going to a memorial service, 'cause death, y'all.

Note to the "children" remaining at home: the cats are away--play, little mice, play!

Make burritos...with meat!

Order a pizza with everything on it...and call your brother to remind him to pick it up!

Have a girls' day out...and leave the nieces and nephews at home!

Sleep in...and not have morning bible study!

Eat breakfast for dinner...and let Ellie sit at the table!

Clean the ceiling fans and scrub the cabinets...without a joyful heart!

Consume five animal crackers, sew a skirt without a pattern, take a nap--alone--in your room...Viva La Revolucion!

8 minutes ago, Season of life... said:

Note to the "children" remaining at home: the cats are away--play, little mice, play!

To the kidults left at home: Call up a sympathetic friend or relative and let them know you've packed your suitcase and are on your way! Take the whole damn bag of animal crackers on your way out. Slam the door so hard, the J in Jesus falls off the wall. See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya, Teri and Steve! 

My father memory would go something like this...

I remember it being Easter Sunday, being five or six and dressed in my Easter best, and my father told my mother that he was taking the kids to see relatives for a little while so my mother could cook Easter dinner in peace.  We went to church, then to some building that had outside steps that led to a basement.  My father knocked on the steel door, and was let in by someone probably named Vinnie or Big Anthony.  I sat on my father's lap while the men smoked and played poker, and knew when to shake my head and say "Oh daddy that's a bad hand."  Then I'd get paid off and come home to my mother asking if I had a good time at Aunt Ann's house.  My father memories are better than grocery shopping. 

12 minutes ago, theologygeek said:

My father memory would go something like this...

I remember it being Easter Sunday, being five or six and dressed in my Easter best, and my father told my mother that he was taking the kids to see relatives for a little while so my mother could cook Easter dinner in peace.  We went to church, then to some building that had outside steps that led to a basement.  My father knocked on the steel door, and was let in by someone probably named Vinnie or Big Anthony.  I sat on my father's lap while the men smoked and played poker, and knew when to shake my head and say "Oh daddy that's a bad hand."  Then I'd get paid off and come home to my mother asking if I had a good time at Aunt Ann's house.  My father memories are better than grocery shopping. 

What a cute memory!  I think Steve only wants the kids to have memories of Bible time and praying. I'm sure he only wants those for the grandchildren as well. 

23 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

What a cute memory!  I think Steve only wants the kids to have memories of Bible time and praying. I'm sure he only wants those for the grandchildren as well. 

My father was wild as heck though.  Religious as all get out, but wild.  Typical Italian..."When that bastard was alive, I wanted to break his legs, may he rest in peace."  He's in his 80's now and has finally calmed down. 

Oh, Sarah, that's not how you use "in xxx amount of time". Trying to think of how to phrase things better. But not like that.

Someone help out? :content:

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived