IGNORED

Daniel Staddon and Kathryn Neely: the most convoluted courtship story ever

usedbicycle

Or she first wanted the other guy, but he decided he didn't want her (heart). So she went with dear Daniel.

Just speculation of course.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, DutchMommy said:

Or she first wanted the other guy, but he decided he didn't want her (heart). So she went with dear Daniel.

Just speculation of course.

Maybe it was Lawson :my_cool:

16 hours ago, nonymouse said:

I'm calling it now: the next fundie courtship trend will be communicating only in semaphore, saving the actual first talk for the wedding ceremony.

IMG_20160607_151347.jpg

Daniel is trying really hard to emulate Robert. I think he wants to marry Kathdalyn. 

Excerpt from Robert's story: (http://robertloveskendalyn.com/)

I really wanted a clear word from the Lord! So I asked Him for it. Then I looked down at my Bible reading for the day. It just so happened to be “the wedding Psalm”! Psalm 45:13 jumped off the page to me: “The king’s daughter is all glorious within.."

Excerpt from Daniel's story:

I had been thinking a lot about Kathryn and seeing her and her family that weekend, so I was astonished when we turned to Psalm 45, the “Royal Wedding Psalm,” and read the first verse, “My heart is inditing a good matter: I speak of the things which I have made touching the king… The king’s daughter is all glorious within…"

17 minutes ago, Kak said:

Daniel is trying really hard to emulate Robert. I think he wants to marry Kathdalyn. 

I really wanted a clear word from the Lord! So I asked Him for it. Then I looked down at my Bible reading for the day. It just so happened to be “the wedding Psalm”! Psalm 45:13 jumped off the page to me: “The king’s daughter is all glorious within.."

I had been thinking a lot about Kathryn and seeing her and her family that weekend, so I was astonished when we turned to Psalm 45, the “Royal Wedding Psalm,” and read the first verse, “My heart is inditing a good matter: I speak of the things which I have made touching the king… The king’s daughter is all glorious within…"

Maybe mom and dad keep on putting bookmarks in that page.  Hint hint. Someone should try it with the Arndt boys.

31 minutes ago, Kak said:

If I think about that 'coincidence' too much, I may throw up. The implications are numerous, and none of them good, for anyone.

I just read Kendalyn's 'story' and there are similarities with Kathryn's. She wasn't gung ho at first either. I'm thinking she chose a boy but it didn't work out for whatever reason so she resolved herself to being Mrs. Staddon.

Through months of prayer and struggling to stay under my father’s protection and guidance, the Lord showed that Robert was the one He ordained and thus began our courtship on November 22, 2010.  Due to struggles of keeping my heart guarded and trying to stay under my Dad and where he was leading, I was emotionally drained from my lack of faith and trying to take matters into my own hands, even daring to question my heavenly Father’s direction and giving up when times got tough. Therefore, I was tired and wasn’t quite ready to talk to Robert that first night when he phoned.  But despite my tiredness, emotional drain, and slight disinterest, Robert patiently won my heart . . . by letting me go. He never pushed, never insisted, never demanded, but phoned regularly, listened as I talked, shared from the wisdom and experience in his life, and covered me in prayer.  Before too long, I was in love and wondering how the Lord brought such a man into a life that was so undeserving.

22 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

If I think about that 'coincidence' too much, I may throw up. The implications are numerous, and none of them good, for anyone.

My take on it is that it's probably just dull people (Staddons) making the family courtship model. The engagement ring close up on a red flower is probably going to be another theme for them. None of it speaks to me of genuine love, but of boys (I can't call them men) being told to marry. The Kendaryn/Kathdalyn bride type is godly and submissive, so fits the bill.

1 minute ago, Kak said:

My take on it is that it's probably just dull people (Staddons) making the family courtship model. The engagement ring close up on a red flower is probably going to be another theme for them. None of it speaks to me of genuine love, but of boys (I can't call them men) being told to marry. The Kendaryn/Kathdalyn bride type is godly and submissive, so fits the bill.

I suppose you're right. They are definitely cookie cutter people. But, to not even try for...truth...originality...something...anything?

I also suspect you're right about the engagement ring pictures as well as many wedding pictures.

It's all just so incredibly creepy to me. On levels that scare me to think too much about.

5 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

I just read Kendalyn's 'story' and there are similarities with Kathryn's. She wasn't gung ho at first either. I'm thinking she chose a boy but it didn't work out for whatever reason so she resolved herself to being Mrs. Staddon.

Through months of prayer and struggling to stay under my father’s protection and guidance, the Lord showed that Robert was the one He ordained and thus began our courtship on November 22, 2010.  Due to struggles of keeping my heart guarded and trying to stay under my Dad and where he was leading, I was emotionally drained from my lack of faith and trying to take matters into my own hands, even daring to question my heavenly Father’s direction and giving up when times got tough. Therefore, I was tired and wasn’t quite ready to talk to Robert that first night when he phoned.  But despite my tiredness, emotional drain, and slight disinterest, Robert patiently won my heart . . . by letting me go. He never pushed, never insisted, never demanded, but phoned regularly, listened as I talked, shared from the wisdom and experience in his life, and covered me in prayer.  Before too long, I was in love and wondering how the Lord brought such a man into a life that was so undeserving.

Kendalyn's story makes me sad, she had genuine dreams which she had to cast aside. I think her father treated her very poorly.

We need to get the word out that people's hearts don't actually care one whit about the handing around of metal keys.

Just now, ladyamylynn said:

Does anyone else find the Sara/Sarah-Katherine business kind of strange?

Just a little. I wonder if she really will change her name when they get married. Very weird. 

I clicked on this topic while waiting  (im)patiently at Walmart pharmacy.

I've only read their ridiculously long & twisted story. These pious idiots make my head hurts.  Cmon pharmacy with my migraine meds.

Good golly, Miss Molly. So glad my kids aren't this stupid. Sheesh.

P.S. can we please have "Holy Awkwardness" as a post count???!!!11!!!11

P.S.2.   Hey, @Kak -- I'll gladly so halvsies with you on the rubiks cube. Hell, I'll even spring for the  card -- "From all of us at FJ."

...wandering over to  Walmart card section...:content:

2 hours ago, ladyamylynn said:

Does anyone else find the Sara/Sarah-Katherine business kind of strange?

Very strange.  Both the mystical whoo-whoo stuff and that she never mentions wanting to change her name.

On one of the mornings of that same conference, I could not find my Bible and pulled what looked like on an unused one off a shelf in the Wilkes’ library. My regular reading plan was in Deuteronomy 28, and as I flipped to that page I could not believe what I found. Tucked into the Bible right on the very page where I was supposed to read for the day was a greeting card! I cautiously opened it to find a thank you note inside addressed to “Dear Sara-Kathryn…”

So he finds a greeting card in a Bible and thinks this is how the LORD is speaking to him?  That is really taking the magical thinking a bit too far, isn't it?  I think some Christians might call it blasphemous. People who think the LORD is speaking to them through billboards or car license plates or greeting cards might need some anti-psychotic medication.

Sensing once again that God had a special message to share with me. My reading for the day was in Numbers 26. At first it seemed like a boring list of genealogies and I started scanning through them quickly, but the LORD stopped me at verse 46. “And the name of the daughter of Asher was Sarah.” At first I was confused. Isn’t that the wrong name? But then I remembered something I had heard earlier, that the name Sarah had always been special to Kathryn and she planned to officially change her name to Sara-Kathryn at marriage! This was the final confirmation I needed from the LORD

Again we have the leap from a passage in the Bible mentioning Sarah to meaning Kathryn.  I'm guessing he would have continued to read the Bible until he came across a woman's name-- any name-- and then made the connection from this random woman in the Bible doing a random thing, that the LORD wanted him to marry Kathryn, when in actuality we all know it was his penis wanting to "marry" Kathryn's vagina.

4 minutes ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

Very strange.  Both the mystical whoo-whoo stuff and that she never mentions wanting to change her name.

So he finds a greeting card in a Bible and thinks this is how the LORD is speaking to him?  That is really taking the magical thinking a bit too far, isn't it?  I think some Christians might call it blasphemous. People who think the LORD is speaking to them through billboards or car license plates or greeting cards might need some anti-psychotic medication.

Again we have the leap from a passage in the Bible mentioning Sarah to meaning Kathryn.  I'm guessing he would have continued to read the Bible until he came across a woman's name-- any name-- and then made the connection from this random woman in the Bible doing a random thing, that the LORD wanted him to marry Kathryn, when in actuality we all know it was his penis wanting to "marry" Kathryn's vagina.

A former friend of mine thinks the universe speaks to her through ads on her Facebook page. Because she does not understand how internet ads work. So if she searches for something she wants to buy on another site and an ad shows up on Facebook for it, she thinks the universe is telling her to buy it. When people try to explain how the ads work, she sits there and repeats over and over again, "but I never put on Facebook that I was looking for (whatever it is)". She also sees the ads as signs from the universe about quitting her job, etc...

Just saying, the fundies don't have the market cornered on that nonsense. 

They are quite good at it, though. The randomly opening a Bible thing was huge at the fundie lite/charismatic school I taught at. I was always amazed at the way they could twist a random verse into a sign from God that what they wanted to say/do/think/pursue/change was God's will. 

Yes, the name-change thing is very odd.  I've known 4 people who changed their names later in life as adults.  Each of the four was weirder than the one before.  

7 hours ago, hasunah said:

Honest question , is there a fundy competition to see who can come up with the most idiotic and restrictive ways to courtship ?  Even Laura Ingalls went on unsupervised buggy rides and now they can't even talk to each other without making it official .

I was thinking this same thing. Don't any of them ever behave normally? Every courtship has to have drama and a time of waiting to get the go ahead, sometimes for years. They seem to try and outdo each other with how obedient they are and in how little they know the person they are going to marry. But the moment they're engaged they're in love!

How can two families be friends for 7 years and not know each other? Wouldn't you think someone in the girl's family would know Daniel fairly well? Normally, the kids from both families would hang out together. These families won't do that, but any boys from each would. Or they do the not-separating-by-age thing, in which case the entire family should get to know all the Staddons, parents and children. But no, even after years they didn't have a clue, other than that Kathryn thought he seemed too good for her.

3 hours ago, fundiefan said:

Or: I was tired, felt nothing for him, and generally thought it was a bad idea...but my dad liked him and he just kept calling.  So I fell in love with him instead.

Kathryn isn't in the Bible and even worse Kathryn's basically Katherine which is an evil fish eater Catholic saint's name.  Need a good proper Bible name like Sarah to cancel it out.  Better to be McKendaJingaling than an evil Pope name.

The LORDE and my feline headship hath laid upon my heart that Tom Hiddleston is actually the man for me.  I mean I heard John 20:24 about Doubting Thomas in church the other day and we thought we may have a peeping Tom so how can I argue?  And I'm only drawn to his good Christian qualities.  Off to track him down, pop a card addressed to Jozina in his Bible and await the bounty the LORDE and my feline headship hath prepared for me.

up until that point, never once had Daniel crossed my mind as a possibility. I personally did not feel like I knew him very well

The whole "at first he was an irrelevant nobody and I wouldn't have spit on him if he were on fire, but now that we're engaged HE IS MY ONE TWU LUV!!!!" thing will never be cute tbh!

My son is getting married this summer. He designed a Gorgeous ring -- a 1 carat oval stone in a vintage setting. The quality may not be perfect enough for Mr. Staddon, but I'll be damned if it isn't beautiful and perfect for his fiancée. 

And no - son & fiancée didn't jump through ridiculous hoops and make up pious shit about why they're more spiritual. 

They also understand honoring their wedding guests with a delicious dinner and showing appreciation to them. They wisely limited their guest list to under 200 in order to do it right.

No big gift grab either. I had to push them to do a registry, as some guests wish to  purchase gifts that way.

Perhaps I should send notes to the Duggars... ;)

On June 6, 2016 at 5:32 PM, Dandruff said:

Seems oddly apropos.  If you don't know what you're doing with a Rubik's cube, you go round and round and get nowhere.

I have had a long day and wanted to read this thread all day. I finally got my kiddos in bed, made some tea and went out to my back yard to enjoy my tea and read this thread. I found this statement profound.

@Gimme a Free RV I thought of Wuthering Heights too but hear Kate Bush singing in the background and in my mind their 'world wind' romance plays out like a Meatloaf music video.

7 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

We need to get the word out that people's hearts don't actually care one whit about the handing around of metal keys.

It sounds like a heathen practice to me.... Magical trinkets that make you love the dull guy that your father chose for you are nowhere in the Bible.

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived