IGNORED

Daniel Staddon and Kathryn Neely: the most convoluted courtship story ever

usedbicycle

18 hours ago, LadyCrow1313 said:

or a key and a lock  :my_sick:

Insert Tab A into Slot B, or just fall back on the old   :bird:s  +  :bee:s

12 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Do you think every bridesmaid got a gift of a "Confederate Candle"*  that the Neelys make and sell on their website?  http://neelymarketplace.com/product-category/confederate-candles/

*I assume these smell of treason, bitterness and the hold of a slave ship, but that is just one Southern gal's opinion.

So, so, so wishing you could hack into their "Neely Team Marketplace" and just slip that candle right into the line up. 

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I really want Confederate merch that isn't intended for Civil War reenactments or historical artifact collectors to come with a little recorder that plays Gene Wilder in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory yelling "You LOSE! Good DAY, sir!"

Or this could also be played in response to a Fundie that tries to convert someone & fails.

Gene Wilder was a genius in Willy Wonka. That's one of my all-time favorite movies & I've seen it a zillion times (I did like the Johnny Depp version, too).

I can't get beyond the idea that anyone, anywhere, thought it was a good marketing idea to sell a 'Confederate Candle,' no matter what it smells like. :pb_eek:

11 minutes ago, Loveday said:

I can't get beyond the idea that anyone, anywhere, thought it was a good marketing idea to sell a 'Confederate Candle,' no matter what it smells like. :pb_eek:

A friend & I went on a roadtrip this past weekend (in the Upstate NY area). Out in the sticks, we saw a house with a Rebel flag on it. We just looked at each other & shrugged; there wasn't a lot we could do about it, obviously (not that we would in the first place).

We also had been driving around in Amish country, & we got a kick out of seeing the Amish farms/marks in the road from the wheels/and the really cool way they took care of the wheat. We sadly didn't see any Amish folk, but considering that it was on a Sunday, that really wasn't surprising.

21 hours ago, LadyCrow1313 said:

or a key and a lock  :my_sick:

Or the pissers evidence of what sex is supposed to be of a screw & nut.

So apt in more ways than one.

3 hours ago, LadyCrow1313 said:

A friend & I went on a roadtrip this past weekend (in the Upstate NY area). Out in the sticks, we saw a house with a Rebel flag on it. We just looked at each other & shrugged; there wasn't a lot we could do about it, obviously (not that we would in the first place).

We also had been driving around in Amish country, & we got a kick out of seeing the Amish farms/marks in the road from the wheels/and the really cool way they took care of the wheat. We sadly didn't see any Amish folk, but considering that it was on a Sunday, that really wasn't surprising.

I've never understood it, but I always seem to see far more Confederate flags flying north of the Mason-Dixon line than south! :pb_confused:

Concernung sex ed: As a girl I was told that men and women were like to parts of puzzle that fit into each other perfectly. I was pretty jealous of the boys since I wanted to be the big part too and felt that it was unfair that women should be the smaller part...

Has anyone found any pics of the wedding or the happy couple?

19 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

I don't quite understand that specific argument.  How is this different to drinking being illegal one day and legal the next?  Or voting age?

I guess you could look at the drinking comparison this way. So before 21, you can't drink. You are told it will destroy your liver, tear you away from your family, bury you in a pit of shame and you will lose all self-confidence. You are warned that If you have a single sip of alcohol, nothing will ever feel the same. You will feel like a drunk and a failure, a shame to your family and a disappointment to God. If you are able to wait until your 21st birthday, however, then you will be able to truly enjoy a nice drink. You see ads with sun-kissed, laughing people sipping a martini on the beach and wish to be like them one day.

So you follow the law and made it to 21, hooray! In order to celebrate, you're taken to your first bar ever. It's smelly and crowded and you feel uncomfortable. But this is supposed to be fun, right? You have no idea what to order and end up with a pint of dark Guinness you are forced to finish. It tastes gross and makes you a little queasy. You feel like crying. You wonder what the big deal was about drinking in the first place.  How do people enjoy it so much? But everyone around is saying that drinking is no longer bad for you, in fact you should be having a whole lotta fun getting drunk! If you're a woman, you should NEVER refuse a drink! Get drunk all you want, God loves to see you drink, he invented alcohol after all! It's your duty to drink now. 21 year-olds drink, period. It's the way God ordained it, and God is good!

That first week after turning 21 is spent exclusively on drinking, trying new drinks, and unlearning how bad you thought drinking was. Sometimes you wish you could take a break. You can't help but feel that being in a bar is wrong. Even your DAD knows that you're drinking now - and you shudder with shame at that thought. You try really hard to enjoy it, but 20 years of conditioning against alcohol constantly resonates in your head. You wish you could be like those women casually joking about "Wine Wednesday". You remember yourself beaming with pride on your 21st birthday, not a drop of booze in your system! And now you feel like a stuck-up failure, unable to let go and just have fun with it.

And eventually, years down the road, you get there. Making margaritas in the summer becomes a fun way to relax! You think back to the novice drinker that you were, and wish that you could have started with a sip of strawberry wine cooler instead of chugging that Guiness on your first day. You wish your parents would have been more honest about drinking: that it's a fun activity but only if enjoyed responsibly, and that no one should force you to drink. 

This is basically why virginity culture is effed up.

6 hours ago, Loveday said:

I hope they follow up with Khmer Rouge, Empire of Japan, Napoleon's Russian Campaign, Wehrmacht, The Light Brigade, and Anyone Who Wasn't the Mongols Candles. Just have a series of people who lost wars and may or may not be over it.

2 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I hope they follow up with Khmer Rouge, Empire of Japan, Napoleon's Russian Campaign, Wehrmacht, The Light Brigade, and Anyone Who Wasn't the Mongols Candles. Just have a series of people who lost wars and may or may not be over it.

A Wars of the Roses candle might smell rather nice... :my_rolleyes:

On 7/17/2016 at 9:10 AM, usedbicycle said:

Is this supposed to be funny? 

Screen Shot 2016-07-17 at 10.59.35 AM.png

Well, if you only count the males as having "personhood" then here are only two persons (at most, three, if the baby is a boy) on the bridge.

My son and I went to Gettysburg last summer and were shocked by the sheer number of Confederate flag items for sale.  Of course this is redneck country and not that far from the Mason-Dixon line, but nearly every t-shirt store in the main part of town (a few miles from the actual national park site) had at least a few Confederate items for sale, many of them with pretty offensive sayings on them.  We were scratching our heads because the area is technically in the "North" and the Rebels were pretty soundly defeated at Gettysburg and were the losers in the battle.  So basically all of these tourist shops are appealing to those celebrating the side that lost.  (There were also a lot of vehicles from the local area with Confederate flags and/or stickers on them.)

I think someone mentioned upthread that the Staddons are connected to the Wallers. How so? I'm sort of fascinated by how intermarried all these fundie families seem to be (and how desperate J-Rod is to break into the big ol' Fundie Love Actually interconnectedness pile).

8 hours ago, refugee said:

Well, if you only count the males as having "personhood" then here are only two persons (at most, three, if the baby is a boy) on the bridge.

Yeah I already made that snark.

2 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I think someone mentioned upthread that the Staddons are connected to the Wallers. How so? I'm sort of fascinated by how intermarried all these fundie families seem to be (and how desperate J-Rod is to break into the big ol' Fundie Love Actually interconnectedness pile).

Robert Staddon and The Pecan Thief are BFFs. In most pictures they actually look happier together than they do with their respective wives.

3 hours ago, uber frau said:

Robert Staddon and The Pecan Thief are BFFs. In most pictures they actually look happier together than they do with their respective wives.

6 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

:my_biggrin: Indeed they do. And now they are distant relatives through marriage. David Waller's brother, Derick is married to Jennie Wilkes, who is Matthew Wilkes' sister, and Matthew is married to Amanda Neely, who is Kathryn Neely's sister, and Kathryn is now married to Daniel Staddon, who is Robert Staddon's brother.  

7 minutes ago, CatNap said:

6 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Indeed they do. And now they are distant relatives through marriage. David Waller's brother, Derick is married to Jennie Wilkes, who is Matthew Wilkes' sister, and Matthew is married to Amanda Neely, who is Kathryn Neely's sister, and Kathryn is now married to Daniel Staddon, who is Robert Staddon's brother.  

I think part of the reason why their seems to be a lot of marriages between the families is they know each other & they probably have the same religious standards. 

23 hours ago, fundiefan said:

Or the pissers evidence of what sex is supposed to be of a screw & nut.

So apt in more ways than one.

Hunh?  Screw and nut?  We're supposed to twist ourselves on?  I've obviously been doing it wrong all these years (explains our adopted kids) but how is that supposed to work?  Do you need some kind of big lazy Susan or something?

5 minutes ago, guitar_villain said:

Hunh?  Screw and nut?  We're supposed to twist ourselves on?  I've obviously been doing it wrong all these years (explains our adopted kids) but how is that supposed to work?  Do you need some kind of big lazy Susan or something?

He, of course, recorded one of his anti-gay sermons and used the screw & nut to show what it's 'supposed' to be like, then said the sodomites do it like this...and he started jamming two screws together. It was quite...well, quite Anderson of him. Grunting and all.

I'm at work but at home I saved a Youtube video compilation someone created of a bunch of his tantrums together and that's where I last saw it. If I remember, I'll post it tonight in one of his threads.

On 7/19/2016 at 9:27 AM, LadyCrow1313 said:

I live near a colony.  I get a real kick out of hearing horses and buggies going down the next street when I am out early in the morning.

12 hours ago, Snarkle said:

We were scratching our heads because the area is technically in the "North" and the Rebels were pretty soundly defeated at Gettysburg and were the losers in the battle.  So basically all of these tourist shops are appealing to those celebrating the side that lost.  (There were also a lot of vehicles from the local area with Confederate flags and/or stickers on them.)

I have come to the conclusion that *some* people don't believe the South "really" lost.

. . . and others are still fighting it.

8 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

Yeah I already made that snark.

Yeah, that's what happens when I don't read the whole thread all the way through... (Sorry to have slighted you. Wasn't intentional.)

ok, i've only watched half of the "daniel & kathryn memories" video and i'm hooked. it was the arrows that did it - first the arrows pointing out daniel and kathryn in every family photo even when they're close-ups with only three other people in the photo - which was very helpful to me but seems weird to do in a wedding video (like shouldn't you know your spouse well enough to notice him in photos? oh wait.); then it was the arrows in the group photos pointing out that despite them always being in the same place throughout their childhood, 'look how they weren't friends! they never stood near each other! isn't that cute!' (no, it's sad. they had years to be friends, decided not to be, but are apparently getting married anyway). 

i'm standing at the edge, ready to throw myself down the rabbit hole. neely-staddon fans: where should i start with these two families? 

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived