IGNORED

Daniel Staddon and Kathryn Neely: the most convoluted courtship story ever

usedbicycle

Were her sisters the ones who played the processional music?

Weird. One of the photographers got a whole pew to herself. 

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy mackeral, was it really 30 minutes in the live stream and fifteen minutes into the ceremony before the bride even literally got to be in the picture?  It was difficult to tell what any of the dresses looked like, and yes, I totally wanted to shush that baby (babies?).  Perhaps they were in the balcony along with the video and they thought it wouldn't affect the sound?

And I agree about the courtship story - it's almost as if they are all from the same playbook and have to reach a certain number of Biblical citations, signs from the Almighty, and moments of doubt or it's not a "real" story.

Has the clown car been mentioned?? 'Cause that's A LOT of attendants walking in and I just pictured a tiny car at the church entrance with lots of red taffeta piling out of it.  I counted nine attendants and four children walking in!!!!

I saw that the video was nearly an hour and a half. SAY WUT?!? My daughter's ceremony was over in like 32 minutes. High fives all around. 

So the reception is usually longer than the actual ceremony, right? It just seems like it's unfair to hold your guests hostage like that. The speech at the beginning was very drawn out.

I didn't watch the whole thing. So how long was the wedding party standing up there? Because it's completely ridiculous to expect children to stand up there for a long time. Why not all them to sit in the first pew? I saw one little flower girl rolling all over the floor. Bored as fuck like everyone else.

1 hour ago, usmcmom said:

Has the clown car been mentioned?? 'Cause that's A LOT of attendants walking in and I just pictured a tiny car at the church entrance with lots of red taffeta piling out of it.  I counted nine attendants and four children walking in!!!!

I saw that the video was nearly an hour and a half. SAY WUT?!? My daughter's ceremony was over in like 32 minutes. High fives all around. 

My wedding with a full Catholic mass clocked in at just under an hour. 

And at a Catholic wedding, the wedding party, bride & groom included, get to sit down! One of my Protestant bridesmaids on hearing that she would get to sit in the front pew for most of it wondered why Protestants have never thought of it. 

34 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I didn't watch the whole thing. So how long was the wedding party standing up there? Because it's completely ridiculous to expect children to stand up there for a long time. Why not all them to sit in the first pew? I saw one little flower girl rolling all over the floor. Bored as fuck like everyone else.

The men (plus a few children) were up there for almost an hour, and the women and flower girls were standing there for 45 minutes. I don't know why they planned it that way. Poor kids. I also found it odd that the men just walked on the stage through a door on the left of the stage, and then the rest of the party came up the aisle.

48 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

My wedding with a full Catholic mass clocked in at just under an hour. 

And at a Catholic wedding, the wedding party, bride & groom included, get to sit down! One of my Protestant bridesmaids on hearing that she would get to sit in the front pew for most of it wondered why Protestants have never thought of it. 

Most Protestant weddings I've been to were short and the children in the wedding party sat in the front pew. 

I have never read a thing about these people but just watched their long-ass wedding mostly on fast forward.  I think a ceremony that long is just cruel and unnecessary and I felt sorry for all who attended. I also find it ridiculous to have sermons at weddings!  I noticed that no one stood when the bride came in. I've never been to a wedding where people didn't stand for the brides entrance. Regional difference? I live in Pacific NW.

15 minutes ago, AuLait said:

I have never read a thing about these people but just watched their long-ass wedding mostly on fast forward.  I think a ceremony that long is just cruel and unnecessary and I felt sorry for all who attended. I also find it ridiculous to have sermons at weddings!  I noticed that no one stood when the bride came in. I've never been to a wedding where people didn't stand for the brides entrance. Regional difference? I live in Pacific NW.

I don't think it's a regional thing. I've lived in the West and Midwest, and at all the weddings I've been to, the guests stand when the bride comes in.

On a different note, I just watched the two videos on their wedding site under the live stream video. This photo was in the parents video. According to the other video, Kathryn had braces in 2012, so this photo is relatively recent! I'm pretty sure that's a baby photo pose (to clarify: not a pose for teens). Squicky!

kathrynkissy.jpg

In the words of Alfred E. Neuman,  "Bleeech".

5 hours ago, maple802 said:

Were they coral? Or red? It was hard to tell on my monitor.

Looked like some garish red orange hybrid

4 minutes ago, hasunah said:

Looked like some garish red orange hybrid

Well SOMEONE's got to beat Alyssa Bates-Webster out for the brightest wedding colors!

4 hours ago, usmcmom said:

From what I could tell (my attention wandered a lot), most of the ceremony was for and about Jesus. 

I'm all for a sermon at a wedding, but ONE sermon, not 3! At my wedding, it was about as long as a regular church service; the intro/prayer, a couple songs, the sermon, and  then vows, rings, signing(to another song) and the pronouncement. This one is considerably longer, but one of the Mueller weddings was about 2 hours. If you want to bring people to Jesus and explain the seriousness of marriage, it doesn't have to take THAT long! And the parental involvement was a little over the top. But their vows were beautiful, and the singing(I think the piano pedal must've been broken, though) and the dresses. The end part of "you can turn the camera off now" was pretty comical.

I watched both slideshows as the wedding ceremony itself was unwatchable (poor quality video plus so fucking boring).  Some random thoughts from the slideshows:

Daniel's photos were much more interesting than Kathryn's. You could see he actually got to have some fun as a kid and had some achievements of his own, like the Bible Bee win. Kathryn, on the other hand, had little going on for her (based on the photos, of course) other than holding her newest little sibling or wearing matching outfits with her sisters. Like any good fundie bride, she was clearly molded to be a good helpmeet to her future Earthly Lord, and nothing else. Not surprising but _so_damn_sad_.

For some reason, Pa Neely gives me the major creeps.

Those Neely girls are all very beautiful but their matching clothing goes even beyond the normal fundy matchiness. And it's not just the girls but Mom Neely as well. They look ridiculous.

The Staddons are hard core ATI but they seem like a family who genuinely enjoys each others company. The guys seem to have real relationships with each other that don't seem forced. Without the IBLP shit they would probably be nice people to be around.

Does Amanda Neely and her husband's baby girl have a name at all?!? They have never mentioned it and she was referred as "little niece" in the slideshow, when everyone else was called with their names. If they want to keep it private I can understand it, but once again these are people who have public blogs on the Internet for anyone to see.

Don't forget to add Kathryn to the Upcoming Babies thread.

I'd love to know the name of that child. No idea why they've made it such a mystery. And while I'm on the subject of mysteries, were there any sightings of Derrick and Jenny Waller, who seem to have gone underground since their own wedding? 

17 hours ago, season of life said:

Yo, they're smooching and they're rocking back and forth like they got seasick or something. 

Perhaps the earth moved?

I've fast forwarded through it all, so help me.  Really, as Fundie weddings go, that was rather tame.  I do wish they would stop having a compulsory groom's song - but this one was at least ameliorated by his back-up singers.

Still, no 27 little bell-ringers, no pissed off infants in decorated wagons, no interminable sermons about Death (see Steve Maxwell), only an hour and a half, no Pecan Thief conducting everyone in song and practically smacking his bride in the kisser, no bride and groom running down the aisle after the ceremony?  Boooorrring.

They did hold the congregation captive for way too long after the ceremony for yet another sermon, but why did the ushers have to dismiss them row by row? There weren't that many people there. Perhaps from previous experience they were genuinely afraid of a traffic jam in the exits as bored out of their minds guests fled the scene of the crime ...

The only thing note-worthy was the absence of Gothard.

Jesus, take the bridge pylon.

Nothing screams "Uplifting start to a wedding" like Revelations, so I knew it'd be good very early on.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz............

I do like the red though, hate to admit it.

4 minutes ago, jozina said:

Jesus, take the bridge pylon.

Nothing screams "Uplifting start to a wedding" like Revelations, so I knew it'd be good very early on.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz............

I do like the red though, hate to admit it.

I barely watched any of it, but the hymn being played when the stream began is called "Beyond the Sunset" and is typically used at funerals. 

Lyrics for its final verse: 

"Beyond the sunset,
O glad reunion,
With our dear loved ones
Who've gone before;
In that fair homeland
We'll know no parting,
Beyond the sunset
For evermore!" 

My mother used to play the piano at church frequently and sometimes for weddings. My college roommate still does. I'm going to guess neither of them has used that for a prelude at a wedding. 

One question and two points: 

1. What was the issue that Sarah-Kathryn (?just Kathryn) struggled with (the one that brought her to the point where she was on her knees crying out to the Lord (she talks about it in the "about us" section of their wedding website).

2. Good thing he made a point of clarifying that the diamond he could afford for her was a grade "f" for flawless. Excellent humble brag!

3. Those are some BRIGHT wedding colors - I would have thought red gowns were too harlot like for the fundie crowd.

About dating, marriage and religion: In the (mainstream Christian) church I was raised, adults always said that God wants everyone to wait to have sex until they're married. That guy surely seems to care a lot about people's sexlives... ;) 

I'm now in my early twenties (and an atheist), watching other young adults get married because they are horny and want the SEX. Sex is seen as great between wife and husband, but impure until the very wedding. Imo, this creates a really unhealthy sexuality, because sex goes from bad and forbidden to good and encouragable in one single day! Sigh.

And they are so smug about their waiting, the married couples. "We made it, it was really hard sometimes but we trusted in God and abstained even though we wanted to fuck so bad!"  If two adults want to have sex, and they use protection, then WHY abstain? I mean, it's totally cool if you are asexual, you should never feel that you have to have sex, ever, but these people don't seem ace at all. Just holier-than-thou...

33 minutes ago, Queen said:

About dating, marriage and religion: In the (mainstream Christian) church I was raised, adults always said that God wants everyone to wait to have sex until they're married. That guy surely seems to care a lot about people's sexlives...  

I'm now in my early twenties (and an atheist), watching other young adults get married because they are horny and want the SEX. Sex is seen as great between wife and husband, but impure until the very wedding. Imo, this creates a really unhealthy sexuality, because sex goes from bad and forbidden to good and encouragable in one single day! Sigh.

And they are so smug about their waiting, the married couples. "We made it, it was really hard sometimes but we trusted in God and abstained even though we wanted to fuck so bad!"  If two adults want to have sex, and they use protection, then WHY abstain? I mean, it's totally cool if you are asexual, you should never feel that you have to have sex, ever, but these people don't seem ace at all. Just holier-than-thou...

And it's really not that amazing that they waited to have sex. They've been together a whole 4 months maybe? And they aren't allowed to be alone. And they most likely don't spend all their time together since I don't think they live a short car trip away. So why is it so great that they waited 4 months of barely seeing one another? That seems really easy actually.

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived