IGNORED

John Shrader Pt 8- Me, me, me missionary

samurai_sarah

John's new post is about the "translation of truth" into four local languages. Forgive me, John, but I think someone so concerned with the exactitude of only the KJV would mayyyybe want to know those languages himself before distributing material. 

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Freejin said:

John's new post is about the "translation of truth" into four local languages. Forgive me, John, but I think someone so concerned with the exactitude of only the KJV would mayyyybe want to know those languages himself before distributing material. 

They could be using John to print off a local newspaper for all he knows. :laughing-jumpingpurple: Maybe he should spend less time on FB and more time learning the local languages.

This reminded me of him(and Rea, pretty sure he is KJV only too):

http://babylonbee.com/news/kjv-church-still-staunch-defender-early-web-design/

34 minutes ago, Freejin said:

Meh, just run it all through Google Translate. Those benighted natives should just learn to speak English anyway. /s

3 hours ago, formergothardite said:

You can see kindness in the faces of John's siblings, that is something missing from John's face. He exudes smug arrogance. John is a bad person, and it shows on his face. 

I totally agree.  John's smile is fake and arrogant.  His good-looking brothers, however, have "real" expressions on their faces.

4 hours ago, Freejin said:

Yep.  The thing that is so disturbing is that, in spite of his arrogance, John is actually pretty naive--as evidenced by purchasing a $15,000 deal of a plane, sight unseen.  What is his guarantee that these "translators" are even educated enough to do a good job?  What is his guarantee that the translators aren't collaborating and printing:

What you are holding in your hands is the product of a White Savior nut job we happen to know in Kafue.  In his original language, he wrote a bunch of stuff he claims is the absolute truth but, of course, this "educated" man couldn't be bothered to learn even one of the languages of our people in the two years he and his populous family have lived on our soil.  He came to show us a better way, right?  So here are my suggestions on how to use this six-page booklet:  toilet paper, wall paper, origami boxes, paper mache, shredding into small strips and weaving small baskets, shredding into small pieces for your chickens to lay eggs on, paper fans, paper straws, paper cups, paper dolls, temporary stuffing for the hole in a wall that needs repair, kindling for fire, paper whisk brooms, spit wads, tiny shade huts for the small children, paper chains, wrapping for market purchases, emergency feminine hygiene, paper foot mats, wads for children to play soccer, in-ground pest barriers for plants, toy airplanes, paper beads for making jewelry to sell, window coverings, flyswatters, shoe liners, and much, much more! 

One of John's problems is that he won't ever take the time to think things through. Most people would pause for a second before spending $15,000 on a plane that has never been seen. But not John, he is so caught up in himself and his fantasy world that he doesn't think things through. If something bad happens, his dad will fix if for him and he doesn't have to deal with the consequences of his bad choices. But his behavior is getting so reckless that not even Daddy Shrader is going to be able to fix John's mistakes. 

$15,000 is just a mind blowing amount of money to have just thrown away. That isn't even counting the money wasted on his flight lessons! 

2 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

$15,000 is just a mind blowing amount of money to have just thrown away. That isn't even counting the money wasted on his flight lessons! 

Could someone pretty please explain the plane incident? John bought a plane and then never received it?

I wonder how long he is staying in Zambia? 

18 minutes ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

I wonder how long he is staying in Zambia? 

The people of Kafue: TOO long!

26 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

One of John's problems is that he won't ever take the time to think things through. Most people would pause for a second before spending $15,000 on a plane that has never been seen. But not John, he is so caught up in himself and his fantasy world that he doesn't think things through. If something bad happens, his dad will fix if for him and he doesn't have to deal with the consequences of his bad choices. But his behavior is getting so reckless that not even Daddy Shrader is going to be able to fix John's mistakes. 

The thing that I don't understand is why was there such a big rush to buy the plane? Why not just put the $$ in a savings account, and hold off and buy the plane after you've gotten to Zambia and can actually look at it in person? Oh, but then you'd actually be using the brain he gave you instead of "trusting God's divine provision" and we know what sounds better to John, obviously... Why use your brain when "Providence".  

27 minutes ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

Could someone pretty please explain the plane incident? John bought a plane and then never received it?

When he was on deputation, John heard about a plane that he could buy for $15,000, even though the engine components alone should have cost more than that. It was supposedly in great condition, and belonged to a missionary who was already in Zambia. Several people just on FB cautioned him about a deal that seemed too good to be true, but he was insistent and got a donor to give him money to cover the full cost. He posted pictures of this supposed plane, put it in his newsletter, and even used it as his FB cover photo for awhile. 

Since arriving in Zambia, virtually nothing has been said about the plane. When pressed heavily, he once said that the plane was locked up somewhere and he couldn't get the keys. He also delayed their departure so that he could take lessons and get a pilot's license, but not so they could get VISAs or vaccines. It's now been 2 years since he even sat in a cockpit, and the US pilot's license that he squandered money to get is a total waste. 

@clearingthingsup used to be part of his donor network, and heard that the plane is a completely unflyable bucket of junk. Which is all that anyone should expect from a plane that cost $15,000.

This is what Rea wrote about the plane. I can't find John's newsletter about it.

We are humbled to report that God gave us an airplane.

Then God scammed you!

It is a Zenair 801 STOL bush plane. It is located in Zambia, just 1 hour from the mission station. Valued at over $100,000 God gave it to us for only $15,000. And he provided the $15,000 as well.

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

John Shrader is about ½ way through his pilots training, as God has provided for this need as well. We should be able to take o and land from the mission station in the bush.

David should have used Google to figure out that this was a waste of time and money. I really don't understand teaming up with someone and then not even doing an iota of research into plans. Rea was supposed to be all involved in this and flying with John to the "bush", yet he didn't even do a tiny bit of research to quickly figure out that John's pilot training would be useless in Zambia. 

http://rea.teamzambia.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Rea-Family-to-Zambia-jan-march-2013.pdf

"God gave us a plane" just makes them sound like assholes. :puke-left:

It sort of pleases me that they didn't really get handed a functional, expensive aircraft for free. I do feel sorry for whoever felt the need to front the $15,000 however. 

John rushed off to buy the plane because it wasn't his money. He didn't  have get up every day to go to work and earn the required Dollars. In his usual manic way, like a child let loose in a sweet shop with birthday money, he just handed over the money.

Who did he actually pay for the plane? Did he even receive a receipt? Was there a proper contract and bill of sale arrangement? Was the transaction done over the phone/ internet?

He is a TWIT with no filter. 

If I'm not mistaken, I seem to remember it was done over the internet.  

Anyone got some swamp land in Florida they wanna sell John?

It sounds like someone gave the money to John and David to use to purchase the plane, but no one had actually seen it.. If I remember correctly John posted a picture of a plane, but it was never clear that was the plane he was buying or just a stock photo. 

And Gobsmacked is right. Rea and Shrader didn't work hard to earn $15,000 and since it wasn't their hard earned money, they didn't seemed to be inclined to make sure it was spent wisely. Rea was just as much into buying that plane as Shrader. They know missionaries in Zambia, why didn't they get someone to go check it out really well before they invested that much money? 

I'm still curious what has happened with John's magical witnessing well. Not one mention of it after he managed to get money to dig it. 

5 minutes ago, Gimme a Free RV said:

I think the previous owner was a Nigerian Prince :pb_lol:

John has commented that he isn't worried about losing another supporting church because right after that happened someone donated $9,000 for his children's education. 

He is totally going to use that money for himself if he can. I truly hope that whoever donated it did so in such a way that John can never, ever lay a finger on it. 

1 hour ago, clearingthingsup said:

The thing that I don't understand is why was there such a big rush to buy the plane? Why not just put the $$ in a savings account, and hold off and buy the plane after you've gotten to Zambia and can actually look at it in person? Oh, but then you'd actually be using the brain he gave you instead of "trusting God's divine provision" and we know what sounds better to John, obviously... Why use your brain when "Providence".  

John was behind the proverbial door when brains were handed out. 

On 6/5/2016 at 10:49 AM, Palimpsest said:

I mentioned them on the last thread.  If it is the same Deaf ministry - it is an off-shoot of Bobby Bonner's IAM Ministries.  The ones TeamZambia used in all their deputation materials.  Some of the IAM missionaries are still in Zambia.  @klavierspieler knows much more about them than I do and probably remembers some of their names.  The IAM website was taken down when Bonner retired.  It used to be on the wayback machine but my link isn't working anymore. :(  http://iamministries.info/index.php

I haven't finished the thread so apologies if someone else already found it, but the deaf ministry associated with I AM was headed by Yohannes Getaneh. The Sarras were the family left in charge of the mission when Bobby Bonner left and they are still there. 

Also try this link for the old I AM ministries page on the wayback machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20130116160821/http://iamministries.info/index.php  But I AM does have a current webpage, found here: https://internationalafricanmissions.org/

54 minutes ago, Gimme a Free RV said:

Opportunity knocks!  John can start an alligator farm with a special pool for believers to be baptized with 'gators! 

15 minutes ago, Granwych said:

Opportunity knocks!  John can start an alligator farm with a special pool for believers to be baptized with 'gators! 

Step right up, folks!  Git'chur baptism and martyrdom right here at Rev'rend John's Alligator Farm--easy 'n quick.  Two fer one!  Them gators'll bite so fast you won't realize you've passed...passed on to the pearly gates, that is.

3 hours ago, formergothardite said:

John has commented that he isn't worried about losing another supporting church because right after that happened someone donated $9,000 for his children's education. 

He is totally going to use that money for himself if he can. I truly hope that whoever donated it did so in such a way that John can never, ever lay a finger on it. 

Also, as well as tying the money up so John can never touch it, I hope that John is expected to account for exactly how he is spending the money now for the children's education( if he is already doing so) or will have to account for it when the children are older and possibly ( hopefully) gaining some form of higher education in the future.

John will never have a business to give to the boys (Duggar) or a business the boys can join him in (Bates).

I worry a lot about Johns boys. They are going to get no proper training from their useless father in money management, how to hold down a job, learn any useful skills for life or business.

I very much doubt they will be learning how to be a proper hands on father or how the look after a future life partner.

sorry if that sounds jumbled , I've had wine. John is not good for my liver!!

4 hours ago, Gimme a Free RV said:

I am sure he'd find it and buy if the opportunity arose.  John could even have souvenir of Africa (with his purchase of some Florida swamp land) since not only is Florida blessed with American Crocodiles, they now have Nile Crocodiles (and unlike their American cousins they are man eaters).   

6 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

John rushed off to buy the plane because it wasn't his money. He didn't  have get up every day to go to work and earn the required Dollars. In his usual manic way, like a child let loose in a sweet shop with birthday money, he just handed over the money.

Who did he actually pay for the plane? Did he even receive a receipt? Was there a proper contract and bill of sale arrangement? Was the transaction done over the phone/ internet?

He is a TWIT with no filter. 

Just for yucks I looked up details on the Zenair 801.  It's an inexpensive kit plane- the base price without options is about $30k, although you'll have to add an engine to it.

But the key word is kit.  These are experimental airplanes that get around some FAA certifications by having the owner being the primary builder. There is generally a minimum time to do this - you don't just buy the airplane and bolt a piece or two on.  You're going to be literally building an enormous jigsaw puzzle with tens of thousands of parts.  Assembly time by someone who is reasonably competent is going to be in the one to two thousand hour range, or six months to a year of full time labor.  As you might imagine, kit planes are notorious for never being finished.

My guess is that the plane exists, but is less than 50% constructed and that 50% has been done by someone with unknown skill.

/there are a couple of kit planes I drool over, then close the webpage knowing it ain't happening anytime soon.

1 minute ago, guitar_villain said:

Just for yucks I looked up details on the Zenair 801.  It's an inexpensive kit plane- the base price without options is about $30k, although you'll have to add an engine to it.

But the key word is kit.  These are experimental airplanes that get around some FAA certifications by having the owner being the primary builder. There is generally a minimum time to do this - you don't just buy the airplane and bolt a piece or two on.  You're going to be literally building an enormous jigsaw puzzle with tens of thousands of parts.  Assembly time by someone who is reasonably competent is going to be in the one to two thousand hour range, or six months to a year of full time labor.  As you might imagine, kit planes are notorious for never being finished.

My guess is that the plane exists, but is less than 50% constructed and that 50% has been done by someone with unknown skill.

/there are a couple of kit planes I drool over, then close the webpage knowing it ain't happening anytime soon.

So Johns plane REALLY could be sitting rusting in a supermarket trolley on a deserted runway in the  Zambian bush. Just a huge jigsaw of random parts never to be built.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived