IGNORED

John Shrader Pt 8- Me, me, me missionary

samurai_sarah

So I was explaining the John Shrader saga to my mother this evening, and she reminded me of a very important mission my sister and I had been involved in at Sunday School when we were in 4th grade. Our teacher was an elderly widow who announced on the first day of the school year that we were having a special fund for sports equipment to be sent to this specific African country. She had a jar all decorated for our financial donations, with the name for this fund.

"BALLS For BURUNDI"

Being innocent little nine year olds we went out to the car after Sunday School and announced that next week we would need to bring some money for the BALLS For BURUNDI fund. My parents both started laughing, then their faces turned red, and we had to ask what was so funny. It was on that day that we learned balls are not just things you dribble with or kick with your feet. And every Sunday for the rest of 4th grade my parents would always ask us how BALLS For BURUNDI was doing, cackling away. 

So I guess one could say I was helping fund a mission in Burundi. 

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John is so mean, commenting on the cake his eight year old daughter made :( Who cares that the neckline is a little low, I couldn't decorate a cake that well when I was eight! Bet he couldn't either. He should be so proud of her for her work.

9 hours ago, Gimme a Free RV said:

I bet Esther wishes she could reset his dingdong's calibration!

You know, I imagine Agape was so pleased and proud of the cake she and her sister made together.  It really is a nice-looking cake, too!  Then, daddy comes along and finds something wrong with how she decorated it.  If he voiced his displeasure about that, Agape will, for years, remember "Daddy didn't like the cake I made."

Someone actually commented this exact thing on Johns page, saying for him not to say things like that to his daughter for fear that he will discourage her. I'm sure he will delete the comment as soon as he sees it. 

20 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I don't think it was just his parents, though they played a big part in it, but at the same time he was surrounded by churches and people who played right into his narcissism. They gave him a platform in which to live out his fantasy of greatness with very little oversight or questioning. An environment was created where people like John thrive. 

I'd say John is a chip off the old block if you look at some of his father's self-centered statements.  Everything about Sarah's tragic death was talked about in relation to how it affected him, Rick Shrader.  Sarah's husband was hardly given a passing thought.

I think it is the religious environment too.   If someone claims enough conviction and spouts enough of the party speak they can get away with murder, it seems.

People/IFB churches appear to fund these missionaries on the strength of a video, a sermon, and one dinner conversation.  It's as though doing due diligence is attacking someone's faith!  The adults who funded John don't get a whole lot of sympathy from me.  They, and especially the pastors of those churches, should definitely be re-examining their decision-making policies and who they endorse.  I'm still angry about that poor teen girl who gave John all her baby-sitting savings.  

18 hours ago, Gimme a Free RV said:

Beloved, please forward to the 4:12 mark.  

Eat wheel poot eh smile awn yohr fehcez, beeleev me, brothahz ahnd seestahz.

(Arcade, good job of giving your testimony in English!  John can't even mutter a Bible verse in the local language.)

I think one of the reasons Zambia is so popular with IFB missionaries these days is that English is the lingua franca there.  Arcade, being from Burundi, may not speak the local language(s) either.  It makes sense to preach in English.  I'm really surprised the locals aren't pissed off at John imitating them though.  It sounds like mocking.

Dearly beloved, and those who are familiar with IFB churches,  is Arcade's baptism still valid and will John have to dunk him again?  

John baptized him with "the authority of Valley Baptist church."  As John has accused Valley Baptist of heresy (or whatever) I'd think the possibility of redunking ought to be fairly high.

1 hour ago, Freejin said:

Someone actually commented this exact thing on Johns page, saying for him not to say things like that to his daughter for fear that he will discourage her. I'm sure he will delete the comment as soon as he sees it. 

I just  can't resist bringing that comment over here, it's too good to be lost forever:

Please don't say that to them. Don't discourage them from something they enjoy. The bodice is showing nothing. Nothing at all. Next time they may decline decorating their cake for fear of disappointing you and hearing your negativity toward them.

Spot on, Mari, whoever you are. Spot on. :clap:

21 hours ago, clearingthingsup said:

What kind of parents result in a kid like John Shrader who is completely narcissistic and selfish, and a kid like Jace, who is obviously having lots of person inner-conflicts and seems quite troubled? Seems like there was a severe unbalance in the way ma and pa Shrader parented their kids and to me they seem like really sucky people. 

I think this is a bit harsh, although I think Rick Shrader has enabled and continues to enable John in taking exactly the same path he took himself.   As I just said, I don't think this bad apple fell very far from the paternal tree.  Unfortunately critical thinking is not encouraged in this particular form of Christianity.

As far as Jace is concerned he just updated his facebook, to my relief.  He sounds as though he is doing better and is receiving support from family and friends.  I'm very glad people are supporting him and wish him the best.   The other two Shrader brothers seem to be doing well, and have distanced themselves from Dad and John's particular form of religion.  The one who is a nurse is definitely involved with supporting Jace.

Look, mental illness can affect anyone at any time.  It may not have anything to do with sucky parenting, although sucky parenting won't help.  Growing up in a religious environment that considers mental illness the result of sin and tries to pray it away really won't help!

44 minutes ago, Loveday said:

I just  can't resist bringing that comment over here, it's too good to be lost forever:

Spot on, Mari, whoever you are. Spot on. :clap:

I was right!! He already deleted it. 

1 minute ago, Freejin said:

Whew. In the nick of time! :happy-cheerleadersmileygirl:

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

I'd say John is a chip off the old block if you look at some of his father's self-centered statements.  Everything about Sarah's tragic death was talked about in relation to how it affected him, Rick Shrader.  Sarah's husband was hardly given a passing thought.

I think it is the religious environment too.   If someone claims enough conviction and spouts enough of the party speak they can get away with murder, it seems.

John's dad seems to be the same sort of Christian con man that John is and IFB is the perfect environment for these two. I think it would probably be easier for the people in these churches to blame John's parents, but in the end, THEY are they ones who helped John get to Zambia. They are the ones who didn't question him. They are the ones who turned a blind eye to all the red flags and gave him money. Without all these churches, John wouldn't have been successful. So no tossing all the blame on John's parents, they hold a good share of the blame.

I wonder if Rea is teaming up with the Zambian deaf ministry we discussed here once a long time ago. The people were total jerks, almost on the level of John. I can't remember their names or the names of their blog. Anyone remember them? 

Another problem with sending missionaries with lots of children onto the mission field, instead of getting school supplies for the children of Zambia who need them, they get people to give school supplies for their own kids. 

Those poor kids who were so proud of their cake. You know John said something to them. :my_sad: John is just an all around bad person. 

Dang, having to make your own birthday cake and having your dad call your cake decorations too slutty? Free Agape!

4 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I wonder if Rea is teaming up with the Zambian deaf ministry we discussed here once a long time ago. The people were total jerks, almost on the level of John. I can't remember their names or the names of their blog. Anyone remember them? 

I mentioned them on the last thread.  If it is the same Deaf ministry - it is an off-shoot of Bobby Bonner's IAM Ministries.  The ones TeamZambia used in all their deputation materials.  Some of the IAM missionaries are still in Zambia.  @klavierspieler knows much more about them than I do and probably remembers some of their names.  The IAM website was taken down when Bonner retired.  It used to be on the wayback machine but my link isn't working anymore. :(  http://iamministries.info/index.php

59 minutes ago, Freejin said:

But he also seems to have deleted the comment he made about the bodice, too. I couldn't find it when I just went to look.

I'm sure he's no longer FB friends with Mari.

28 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

She got a foot spa for her birthday so she can wash her brother's feet.

Are you serious?  Please nnooooooooo.

18 minutes ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

But he also seems to have deleted the comment he made about the bodice, too. I couldn't find it when I just went to look.

I'm sure he's no longer FB friends with Mari.

Nope. His comment is still there. That's what makes it so arrogant. He can't accept the slightest bit of criticism and sticks to his guns with the original sentiment. I almost wish he had taken down his own comment. That would imply some reflection on his part. 

What a missionary is John!  He's been there all this time and has finally gotten his first baptism.  

I hope some day someone finds the heap of trash that is the plane and gets a picture and posts it.  

42 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I mentioned them on the last thread.  If it is the same Deaf ministry - it is an off-shoot of Bobby Bonner's IAM Ministries.  The ones TeamZambia used in all their deputation materials.  Some of the IAM missionaries are still in Zambia.  @klavierspieler knows much more about them than I do and probably remembers some of their names.  The IAM website was taken down when Bonner retired.  It used to be on the wayback machine but my link isn't working anymore. :(  http://iamministries.info/index.php

Thinking back, the missionaries I'm thinking of probably weren't IFB because the woman wore pants. I can't seem to find the thread where we discussed them, though. The husband was hearing impaired and she complained a great deal about the lack of gluten free foods and how she thought Zambia would be prettier. 

I wonder how much money is required each year to keep John in Zambia and how long he can keep getting that money. 

1 hour ago, gustava said:
2 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

She got a foot spa for her birthday so she can wash her brother's feet.

Are you serious?  Please nnooooooooo.

The spa is so that she can wash EVERYONE'S feet. And it's ok that her brother got a girly-ass "pedicure" because he "LOVES KNIVES AND ALL THINGS BOY" (not like those queer-o-sexuals who want to be women*) :pb_rollseyes:

*Not actually a quote from John, only implied. 

John wanted to make sure everyone knew that HIS son isn't slightly "girly". :roll: God help any of those children if they are gay. Being gay in that culture is bad enough, being gay in that culture with a father like John would be pure hell. 

7 minutes ago, slickcat79 said:

The spa is so that she can wash EVERYONE'S feet. And it's ok that her brother got a girly-ass "pedicure" because he "LOVES KNIVES AND ALL THINGS BOY" (not like those queer-o-sexuals who want to be women*) :pb_rollseyes:

*Not actually a quote from John, only implied. 

Thanks John, it's always so reassuring to learn that a child loves weapons. I was worried there for a while.

32 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I can't seem to find the thread where we discussed them, though. The husband was hearing impaired and she complained a great deal about the lack of gluten free foods and how she thought Zambia would be prettier. 

I wonder how much money is required each year to keep John in Zambia and how

Oh, yes.  I remember the gluten free food woman!  Not her name though.

These idiots are all over the place.  Look at this one -  Cherith Hunt.  

http://g4a.me/announcing-gods-call-to-full-time-ministry-in-zambia/

The past several years I have been learning American Sign Language (ASL), and through the process, God has been growing my love for the deaf as one of the largest unreached people groups worldwide. My burden continues to increase as I’ve heard estimates that 95% of the deaf have never heard the gospel of Jesus Christ! 

Well isn't that precious.  In Zambia they don't use ASL - they use ZSL.  A tiny little bit of research tells me that ZSL is closer to BSL, not surprisingly.  ASL and BSL are different languages. :roll:

At least she has a budget.

I’m writing to you today to ask you to join me in this exciting next step. Between now and December, I am trusting God to provide $2944 per month to meet my living, housing, insurance, ministry, and travel expenses. Would you consider a monthly commitment to help me raise my support?

I think I will pass.

She is learning the wrong language to go be a missionary. :shock: What is it about Zambia that attracts all these American Christians to go there and be "missionaries"? At least she isn't starting a printing ministry. 

40 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Oh, yes.  I remember the gluten free food woman!  Not her name though.

I can't remember her name either and I think she was just discussed in a thread, she didn't get her own. It might have been around the time Rea put up that idiot list about how expensive it was to buy stuff in Zambia, but it was just the American junk food. 

32 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

She is learning the wrong language to go be a missionary. :shock: What is it about Zambia that attracts all these American Christians to go there and be "missionaries"? At least she isn't starting a printing ministry. 

I can't remember her name either and I think she was just discussed in a thread, she didn't get her own. It might have been around the time Rea put up that idiot list about how expensive it was to buy stuff in Zambia, but it was just the American junk food. 

Zambia is still (comparatively) safe and stable, most people there speak English, and it is really easy to get missionary visas.  

That is actually Daddy's blog: Philip Hunt. Young Cherith (name sounds like Cherish with a lisp) is one of seven children who he seems to have been lugging around Africa for a while.  She's striking out on her own it seems.

Rea deleted his embarrassing shopping list where he got all the percentages wrong.  We still have it preserved here somewhere though!

The Deaf ministry that was connected to Bonner is this one, I think.  http://zambiadeafbaptistministry.org/  Is this the one Rea is working with.   

Also my brain unfroze. John Sarro was one of the missionaries at or near Kafulafuta featured in Shrader and Rea's original video presentations.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived