IGNORED

John Shrader Pt 8- Me, me, me missionary

samurai_sarah

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Spoiler

A poem I wrote three years ago on my birthday, edited a bit for relevancy.

Thirty-nine years ago a preemie cried,
born two months early he almost died
Where he was born he could not survive, so in an ambulance they away did drive! 
There was a rough start but soon was found, that within this little guy much energy did abound! 
His parents were told by a faithless friend, "This busy boy your ministry will end!"
When starting the church a threat written in blood was found, "Quit and leave or we'll put your first-born in the ground!" (That was me!)
But God protected and no harm befell, whatever might have happened only God can tell! 
Then one day Holy Spirit conviction upon that boy's heart did fall, in his young heart repented and on Jesus as Lord for salvation did call! 
That year marked many a change, not just salvation but piano and accordian he began to play. 
He loved working with wood, had a lawn business too, he even began buying his own clothes and shoes. 
He learned the value of hard work and cash...one can do quite a lot with what others put in the trash! With his father he helped build the church and their home, and in the fields of Katy with his dog did roam
Then surrendered to preach at the age of ten, when the preacher sounded the call that God wants yielded men. 
And God directed his steps though at times he failed, God never stopped loving this soul redeemed from hell
Through private boot camp he went (only half graduated!) Mission trips to Mexico and Russia his soul greatly elated! 
Then Bible College and Seminary, times of preparing
There were tests not on paper that at his soul were tearing
But the Bible had answers for all the divisions, just believe what It says, and it will answer all questions! 
God's Word was preserved by God Himself, not by Catholic monks who sequestered it mutilated on a shelf (Psalm 12:6,7)
And the church is NOT Universal as the Catholic Augustine taught
Why he got that from Plato, with doctrinal error was fraught
Just read Revelation and you will see, Christ mentioned individual churches... not One "Catholic" (which means "Universal") mystical Body!
And the history of Baptists is precious indeed, from the very first century they for Truth did bleed! 
Now this young man was praying for God's Will for a wife, for he knew this was a vitally important part of life! 
God wonderfully directed through two years of praying, 
Then brought together two families, it was simply amazing! The courtship was short after so much interceeding, and the union was blessed by God's Gracious Leading! 
Five years as Associate beside his dad, there was times of pain as people left, but in salvation of souls his heart was made glad! 
One even discipled and still to this day, has a heart to disciple others and in the path of God's Truth stay! 
Then after four children God began to move, 
Took him out of his comfort zone, away from his "groove."
They journeyed to the Northwest, a mission field of its own, time simply does not permit how through that God has grown
Suffice it to say he was privileged to pastor and lead, to fully bear the burdens and for people his heart did bleed
God took him through breaking and trials untold, the final fiery one was designed to bring forth as gold
For God asked him to yield his deeply held desire, to train national pastors on the mission field, wanting to disciple was his inner fire
But he yielded all to the testing call, and put away his dream of missions - he thought - for once and for all! 
But was not the end, but only a test! When he surrendered to God then God blessed with His best! 
Now more than ever imagined it's all coming true, this is WAY BETTER than a fairy tale princess and her shoe!
A High-speed printer and Troop Carrier, and men to disciple galore, why the opportunities in Africa just leave him floored! 
Now Thirty-nine years may not be much to some, but boy, let me tell you there's been much in this run
I don't know what's ahead for my children and wife, but their all fully with me as we fulfill God's call upon our lives
A honeymoon romance and ten precious kids, a mom and dad who blessed me with a goodly heritage, 
A Lord to guide and protect and lead, no matter what happens our souls He'll keep!
YES I've been blessed more than words can say, but I just had to try at the end of this special day!

If you have an hour or two and take some anti-nausea medication with a strong beverage, you might be able to make it through this.

1 hour ago, MayMay1123 said:

dear Lord...i don't know whether to laugh or cry...that is one of the weirdest things i have ever read!

Laugh...definitely laugh. He is ridiculous.

I always thought the saying "feel one's gorge rise" was just a nifty way of saying someone was getting testy. Nope! I felt bile in the back of my throat after reading his poem, and I feel such anger that this narcissistic a-hole feels he is, quite literally, God's gift to humanity. So laughable as he does nothing and helps no one.

I sponsor a child and periodically I receive a mailing detailing the work of the organization. This morning I read that 47.8% of the population of Zambia is hungry. This was compared to the populations in certain American cities: the hungry in Zambia equals the populations of Utah and Kentucky combined. 

Such waste: the plane debacle, print wars, glass bible case etc., it goes on and on. I repeat--he does nothing and helps no one.

22 minutes ago, Gimme a Free RV said:
  Reveal hidden contents

There was a rough start but soon was found, that within this little guy much energy did abound! 
His parents were told by a faithless friend, "This busy boy your ministry will end!"
When starting the church a threat written in blood was found, "Quit and leave or we'll put your first-born in the ground!" (That was me!)
But God protected and no harm befell, whatever might have happened only God can tell! 
Then one day Holy Spirit conviction upon that boy's heart did fall, in his young heart repented and on Jesus as Lord for salvation did call! 
That year marked many a change, not just salvation but piano and accordian he began to play. 
He loved working with wood, had a lawn business too, he even began buying his own clothes and shoes. 
He learned the value of hard work and cash...one can do quite a lot with what others put in the trash! With his father he helped build the church and their home, and in the fields of Katy with his dog did roam
Then surrendered to preach at the age of ten, when the preacher sounded the call that God wants yielded men. 
And God directed his steps though at times he failed, God never stopped loving this soul redeemed from hell
Through private boot camp he went (only half graduated!) Mission trips to Mexico and Russia his soul greatly elated! 
But the Bible had answers for all the divisions, just believe what It says, and it will answer all questions! 
God's Word was preserved by God Himself, not by Catholic monks who sequestered it mutilated on a shelf (Psalm 12:6,7)
Just read Revelation and you will see, Christ mentioned individual churches... not One "Catholic" (which means "Universal") mystical Body!
And the history of Baptists is precious indeed, from the very first century they for Truth did bleed! 
Now this young man was praying for God's Will for a wife, for he knew this was a vitally important part of life! 
Then brought together two families, it was simply amazing! The courtship was short after so much interceeding, and the union was blessed by God's Gracious Leading! 
Five years as Associate beside his dad, there was times of pain as people left, but in salvation of souls his heart was made glad! 
One even discipled and still to this day, has a heart to disciple others and in the path of God's Truth stay! 
They journeyed to the Northwest, a mission field of its own, time simply does not permit how through that God has grown
Suffice it to say he was privileged to pastor and lead, to fully bear the burdens and for people his heart did bleed
God took him through breaking and trials untold, the final fiery one was designed to bring forth as gold
For God asked him to yield his deeply held desire, to train national pastors on the mission field, wanting to disciple was his inner fire
But he yielded all to the testing call, and put away his dream of missions - he thought - for once and for all! 
But was not the end, but only a test! When he surrendered to God then God blessed with His best! 
Now more than ever imagined it's all coming true, this is WAY BETTER than a fairy tale princess and her shoe!
A High-speed printer and Troop Carrier, and men to disciple galore, why the opportunities in Africa just leave him floored! 
Now Thirty-nine years may not be much to some, but boy, let me tell you there's been much in this run
I don't know what's ahead for my children and wife, but their all fully with me as we fulfill God's call upon our lives
A honeymoon romance and ten precious kids, a mom and dad who blessed me with a goodly heritage, 
A Lord to guide and protect and lead, no matter what happens our souls He'll keep!
YES I've been blessed more than words can say, but I just had to try at the end of this special day!

If you have an hour or two and take some anti-nausea medication with a strong beverage, you might be able to make it through this.

I got about ten lines into it. You weren't kidding. It sounds like an eight-year-old wrote it. (And that's an insult to some of the eight-year-olds I know.)

I'm trying to think of anyone (besides Jill Rodrigues) who might write something like that about themselves, and no one comes to mind. If a child wrote it about their parent, it might be cute, but it's just so self-serving. And I love how he mentions not one other person by name, even his wife and kids. Everyone in John's world exists only in how they relate to him.

So he half graduated from a private boot camp. Translation: he failed ALERT. 

I would love to know the real story behind the threat written in blood!

John really should not try to write poetry.  Especially about himself.

8 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Translation: he failed ALERT. 

I was just about to say that!  :pb_lol:

58 minutes ago, Gimme a Free RV said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Good heavens, hon, you should have slapped a stronger warning label on it.  Just got to the "threat written in blood" line, and my stomach and eyes are both rolling.  Send the rescue ferrets with the meds STAT, please.  (When am I gonna learn?)

And just that small sampling----argh, I thought VOGON poetry was bad, but....

Who writes the worst poetry that we snark on? I can't decide if it is John, Jill, or Raquel.

6 minutes ago, Ali said:

Who writes the worst poetry that we snark on? I can't decide if it is John, Jill, or Raquel.

So far John boy wins hands down. Total narsasitic clap trap. He needs to sit quietly in a calm consulting room and talk with a properly degreed professional. Someone who will talk to him in a peaceful manner whilst placing him into a nice comfy straight jacket.

what the hell did I just read?!?!  yes, tough call on whether John or Jill writes the worst poetry. 

I know it's been rehashed before--what if John and Jill had married each other; can you imagine if those two really did, and wrote their own vows?

5 minutes ago, catlady said:

I know it's been rehashed before--what if John and Jill had married each other; can you imagine if those two really did, and wrote their own vows?

You, Jill, take me John, to be the husband that you endeavor to deserve.  

28 minutes ago, catlady said:

what the hell did I just read?!?!  yes, tough call on whether John or Jill writes the worst poetry. 

It would be the longest wedding in fundie land! Even longer than Pecan and Priscilla's!!

Guests would be sleeping in the aisles, food and beverage( of some strange description ) would be passed around before the service finished just to keep guests sitting upright. 

Medics would be on hand to revive comatose guests. Also to attend to Jill' severely rasping over used vocal chords. Johns accordion elbow would need to be packed with ice bags to stop any godly severe swelling.

The Honeymoon suite would have to have purposely extended doors to fit both righteously big heads through it.

Enough, now I feel ill!!!!!

2 hours ago, formergothardite said:

So he half graduated from a private boot camp. Translation: he failed ALERT. 

I would love to know the real story behind the threat written in blood!

I think he meant that only half the people enrolled in the boot camp graduated, including himself. #SOTDRTstrikesagain

But I love your interpretation, so that's the one I'm going with! :pb_lol:

Is there anyone else on earth that could incorporate this little jab at Catholicism into a commemorative birthday poem about themselves?  :angelic-halofell:

ETA:  I really REALLY hope that defrauding cake topper got used again for John's birthday.  Slap a turtleneck on her and voila!

Here you go...His followers love it. I...don't. (Note--I am not on his FB and I could see it, so it must be public.) And you'll be happy to know that he learned the value of hard work!

Must be like me and calculus--I knew it for the year I took it, now completely out of my head.

And now, without further ado:

I'm sorry, you guys, I haven't read this thread.  I tried, I really did, but having been raised in a strict fundie religion, past the first few posts it made me want to bang my head repeatedly against a wall. :/  

Please pardon me, I need to vent.  

In a kiddie class at church in the late 60s we were introduced to the concept of missionaries who traveled to far-flung places to share 'the good news' with 'the native people'.  In SDA publications these natives we were supposed to be helping were pictured as brown people wearing grass skirts.  They lived in thatched huts on the beach and fished for a living. It sounded like a happy life to me but I digress...

One of our SDA beliefs was that if a person didn't accept the SDA religion then that person's soul would be destroyed by God at judgement day.  We didn't believe in hell, per se, but eternal destruction was bad enough.  

This seemed so wrong. I had friends who were being raised in different religions and they were good kids.  Their parents were nice too.  Often those parents were more interested in their children as people, what they were interested in, what bothered them, than they were about how all of that related to their particular religion.  It surprised me.  I spent as much time as I could at their houses.  I felt like I could breathe there.  And what about all the grass-skirted natives in far away places?  I felt like they must have been happy too. 

This bugged me so much that I finally got the courage to talk to my dad about it.  I was, IDK, 6 years old or something, arguing about religion with an adult with a PH.D. ;)

I finally wore him down with my child-logic that maybe if a person had never heard about SDA, they might have a chance at escaping eternal destruction.  He said he would take it up with our minister and get back to me.  He didn't. ;)

I couldn't help thinking about those 'natives' and their seemingly idyllic lives and what a tragedy it would have been for them to have SDA missionaries show up on their shores...

Tried to share this Pwem with the Dear Spouse.

He looked at me warily and asked "it doesn't have anything to do with THOSE books (the ATI and Pearl stuff I got secondhand), does it?"  

Slightly reassured, he sat down.  For about 15 seconds.  Then it was a mad frantic 'NOPE NOPE NOPE" and off he did run, muttering "I can't, just can't".  

Has anyone with a solid academic background in English tried to analyze that thing, or check it for anything resembling meter, or see if it scans?  I'd love a scholar's take---inquiring minds like mine want to know!

Some things are so awful that they're good. This piece (I can't even describe it as doggerel)is so terrible that it's gone eight past good and around to awful again.

21 minutes ago, uber frau said:

Some things are so awful that they're good. This piece (I can't even describe it as doggerel)is so terrible that it's gone eight past good and around to awful again.

Around so many times it has gone, it may now just be the one. Not all as amazing as John we can be, but you're all going to burn in fucking hell except me.

9 hours ago, samira_catlover said:

Has anyone with a solid academic background in English tried to analyze that thing, or check it for anything resembling meter, or see if it scans?  I'd love a scholar's take---inquiring minds like mine want to know!

I'm sure such a person could rip it to shreds...before balling up into a fetal position in a quiet corner somewhere.

John's children...oh, yeah--and also those of "his wife"...made a video about the story of baby Moses for the Zambian national holiday John's birthday.  The boys were very domineering in their roles and the girls, of course, very subservient to the male actors--except, of course, the princess who orders her male servant to bring baby Moses out of the water to her.

The most remarkable part of the video to me, though, is that the baby doll they used for Moses is dark-skinned! :clap:  This is the first (conscious?) effort I've seen from the parents (if they are the ones who provided the doll to their children) at doing something that is truly relevant to the culture in which they live.  Even if they weren't living in Zambia, I would applaud them for introducing a racially-diverse baby doll into their pasty-white family.

When I studied childcare in a Baptist seminary :pearlclutching:  years ago, we were taught that the baby dolls provided by a church for the children to play with in nursery and preschool classrooms should represent varied ethnic categories.  <--This was before the term "diversity" became the catchphrase.   At the time, the recommendation was to make available: a baby doll with light skin, a baby doll with dark skin, and a baby doll with light brown skin.  I did this with my own children's baby dolls and Barbie dolls.

Didn't John fairly recently talk about humility. All I can think of is the quote "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived