IGNORED

Which fundie was it? Michael Pearl

JMO

I saw a copy of Created to be His Helpmeet at my local library bookstore for $1, but passed it up in favor of Somerset Maugham. I may go back and grab it at some point. I'd like to actually read it. And then maybe use it for target practice. 

4 hours ago, SweetFellowshipper said:

@ILoveJellybeans, that's not exactly true. She knew him from the time she was thirteen and he was in his teens or twenties. She saw him and supposedly knew she wanted to marry him. They worked together in ministry for a while and then she pretended to date another man to make him jealous. They didn't date. She told him once that she wanted to give him babies and then he said, "Let's get married."

Which might be even creepier. He was her childhood crush and then immediately abused her when she "got" probably the only man she'd really been around. 

Thanks-its been a while since I read the story, think I first saw it quoted on No Longer Quivering a while back.

I remember the bit about her having a crush on him in church, and then her way of asking him out was telling him she wanted to have babies with him, and then they got engaged and then married. Its still weird though, I am guessing that he knew she liked him and had for a while (and obviously he felt in whatever way passes for love for him), but still, you don't ask someone out with "I want to have your babies", surprised he didn't run away like most men would.

But then again, I am surprised she didn't run away after he tried to fuck her to death on their honeymoon. That would be cause for divorce and a crab in the pants while he's sleeping.

On June 1, 2016 at 11:20 AM, Eternalbluepearl said:

Oh my goodness. What the ever-loving-hell? That is a disturbing story! Divorce time!

Divorce time? I"m sorry, I think you mean "Write about this as an insightful tale of how to make a loving marriage work time!" 

Hint: The answer is for the wife to respond with sex no matter how much late-night crabbing is forced upon her! Because it's always her responsibility you know.

15 minutes ago, princessmahina said:

I saw a copy of Created to be His Helpmeet at my local library bookstore for $1, but passed it up in favor of Somerset Maugham. I may go back and grab it at some point. I'd like to actually read it. And then maybe use it for target practice. 

Grab it for $1 so other unsuspecting folks in your town don't pick it up and fall under the suspect of Pearl's weird teachings. At least you know that he's insane and won't follow the teachings.

29 minutes ago, ILoveJellybeans said:

But then again, I am surprised she didn't run away after he tried to fuck her to death on their honeymoon. That would be cause for divorce and a crab in the pants while he's sleeping.

Amen to that.  I can't help but wonder where her father was in the situation.  Did he know Mike?  Approve of the sudden engagement?  Ask his future son-in-law detailed questions and/or recommend pre-marital counseling?  Did he have any thoughts or suggestions after Mike published the honeymoon story for the world to read?

5 hours ago, princessmahina said:

I'm not for burning books but in this case I'd make an exception.

5 hours ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

Grab it for $1 so other unsuspecting folks in your town don't pick it up and fall under the suspect of Pearl's weird teachings. At least you know that he's insane and won't follow the teachings.

I bought several horrid fundie propaganda books (Pearls, Gothard, Duggars) for my masters' thesis. I still have them because I don't want to sell them or donate them anywhere someone who might take them seriously would find them and pay a few dollars each -- and then inflict that horribleness on their children.

And my roommate won't let me throw them in the yard-waste-to-burn pile. I think he's concerned that the toxicity is so seeped into the pages that it would poison our neighborhood.

23 hours ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

That's what I'm thinking. We have a fair number of fundies in my area who might want it. 

12 minutes ago, princessmahina said:

That's what I'm thinking. We have a fair number of fundies in my area who might want it. 

Well, in that case... Run back to that library! :P 

21 hours ago, Walking Cat Bed said:

I bought several horrid fundie propaganda books (Pearls, Gothard, Duggars) for my masters' thesis. I still have them because I don't want to sell them or donate them anywhere someone who might take them seriously would find them and pay a few dollars each -- and then inflict that horribleness on their children.

And my roommate won't let me throw them in the yard-waste-to-burn pile. I think he's concerned that the toxicity is so seeped into the pages that it would poison our neighborhood.

Are you interested in selling to a feminist Pagan who only has kittycats?---I collect propaganda, and promise to keep them well-contained. Quite serious.

Has anybody else here read I Fired God?  The behavior y'all are describing is so similar to the attitude and at times actions of the author's psychotic and abusive father.  The author writes that the morning after her wedding (to a nice husband with whom she eventually escaped fundamentalism), her father said things to her in public like, "Wow, did he wear you out that bad in one night?  I didn't know he had it in him!"  So much for purity and modesty.

7 hours ago, samira_catlover said:

Are you interested in selling to a feminist Pagan who only has kittycats?---I collect propaganda, and promise to keep them well-contained. Quite serious.

I'd prefer that to taking them to the used bookstore or throwing them away!

Debbi Pearl's book, Created to Be His Helpmeet, was analysed in agonising detail by Libby Anne (patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/created-to-be-his-help-meet). I found parts of the book utterly repellant, but Libby Anne's writing is wonderful. She is clear, logical, humorous and, above all, human in her approach to the book.

Another blogger (yllommormon.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/created-to-need-helpmeet-introduction.html) gave the same treatment to Michael Pearl's book, Created to Need a Helpmeet. Again, ugly book, excellent blog analysis and insight.

Libby Anne also analysed the Pearls' discipline/child-rearing manual, To Train Up a Child. During the blog series, I alternated between heartbreak and fury, especially for those parents who think that they're being given wise, Biblical counsel, and for the children on the receiving end of it all. The blog series starts at patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/2013/08/ttuac-introduction-the-goal-obedience.html

I'm so glad that there are people who care about the impact of religious fundamentalism, and who speak out against these vile teachings

Archived