IGNORED

Which fundie was it? Michael Pearl

JMO

I read a story on here about a fundie guy, who'd be middle aged now, who bragged about how he sleep deprived his bride on their wedding night.  He was trying to beat his friend's record for most sex on the wedding night and kept his new bride up all night and then the next day dragged her crabbing without shoes on a shell filled beach at dawn and then made her clean and prepare the crabs while he napped.  Then she finally snapped and lost it on him when he wanted to have sex again.  Cabinetman?  Or one of his friends? 

Yes, it was Michael Pearl. Didn't Debbie collapse or something? 

Just now, formergothardite said:

Yes, it was Michael Pearl. Didn't Debbie collapse or something? 

The thought sends a shiver down my spine.

Oh my goodness. What the ever-loving-hell? That is a disturbing story! Divorce time!

10 minutes ago, JMO said:

prepare the crabs(snip)

Too bad this didn't include live crabs snapped to his privates by their claws.

Yep, from the first chapter of "Prepared to be His Helpmeet".  It's one of the more disgusting things I've ever read.

Yup, because there's nothing that shows your love and respect and caring for your cherished Christian bride (who's probably tired and worn out from wedding stuff and travel) than seeing just how many times you can boff her in a night, while anticipating outbragging your bros next time you see them. (Modest and pure much?)

Oh yes, who could ever forget that nasty story-- really shows the true nature of Michael "Beat Them Harder If They Cry" Pearl. How fitting that such an ill-tempered brute who only wanted a wife so he could own a sex slave and servant should be a revered Christian Patriarch.  Just shows what the Pa6triarchy really stands for:  the man is the be-all and end-all of the family and his wife and kids are mere belongings to be used as he wills.

Michael's story just reeks of how selfish he is. Every time he had sex he got sleepy and went nap nap. But Debi wasn't allowed to sleep? What the hell? I mean there's lots of other horrors in there too, the mind reels. I feel sick. 

10 minutes ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

Oh yes, who could ever forget that nasty story-- really shows the true nature of Michael "Beat Them Harder If They Cry" Pearl. How fitting that such an ill-tempered brute who only wanted a wife so he could own a sex slave and servant should be a revered Christian Patriarch.  Just shows what the Pa6triarchy really stands for:  the man is the be-all and end-all of the family and his wife and kids are mere belongings to be used as he wills.

That's why it makes me scratch my head, the way his wife stands up for this stuff. Someone here mentioned "Stockholm Syndrome" on an old thread about the honeymoon. Plausible?

Every time someone thinks I'm exaggerating the threat of fundamentalist Christianity in this country I refer them to the Pearls.

Horrible! The stockholm syndrome thing sounds like it might be accurate. She seemed to stand up for herself at least a bit back then but now she's telling younger women to just do whatever their husbands say. I wonder at what point she just gave in? It's depressing to think about.

Michael Pearl sounds like a total psychopath.

The story sounds like he doesn't even recognize that Debi has feelings and is a separate entity from him with her own desires and needs....he isn't exactly the sort of person who should be teaching about parenting and relationships, because he cannot even comprehend that other people have feelings.

Also, have you heard the story of how they met? They barely knew eachother before they got married-they pretty much went from acquaintances with secret feelings from eachother (on Debi's part anyway at least, does Michael even have feelings?), to engaged, to married in a very short space of time. In fact, their first argument was about meat the day after they got married, I think it was because one wanted more expensive meat, but then Debi realised she shouldn't be arguing because she doesn't even know how much her new husband earns or whether he can afford it. 

7 minutes ago, ILoveJellybeans said:

Michael Pearl sounds like a total psychopath.

The story sounds like he doesn't even recognize that Debi has feelings and is a separate entity from him with her own desires and needs....he isn't exactly the sort of person who should be teaching about parenting and relationships, because he cannot even comprehend that other people have feelings.

Also, have you heard the story of how they met? They barely knew eachother before they got married-they pretty much went from acquaintances with secret feelings from eachother (on Debi's part anyway at least, does Michael even have feelings?), to engaged, to married in a very short space of time. In fact, their first argument was about meat the day after they got married, I think it was because one wanted more expensive meat, but then Debi realised she shouldn't be arguing because she doesn't even know how much her new husband earns or whether he can afford it. 

Somehow I'm reminded of a scene from The Burning Bed, where the woman was so ignorant (ETA: "kept in the dark" -- not meaning to imply any fault on her part) about sex that when the abuser kissed her on their first date, she thought it meant she had no choice but to marry him. 

Except that Debi didn't snap and murder her husband, she went over to the other side.

The hell. I read the book years ago (and thought it was ingenious) and I don't remember that part. Damn. Harsh.

Mike Pearl is the devil incarnate and pure evil. His books and other materials are dangerous and lethal, literally.

Can you imagine being a virgin and then someone having sex with you five times in a row?? The pain omg. I would be sick if that were me and would never want to have sex again.

I recently remembered this story and went back to reread it. Every time I remember, I get so horrified. Why are some people so fucking crazy?

@ILoveJellybeans, that's not exactly true. She knew him from the time she was thirteen and he was in his teens or twenties. She saw him and supposedly knew she wanted to marry him. They worked together in ministry for a while and then she pretended to date another man to make him jealous. They didn't date. She told him once that she wanted to give him babies and then he said, "Let's get married."

Which might be even creepier. He was her childhood crush and then immediately abused her when she "got" probably the only man she'd really been around. 

Archived