IGNORED

Josh - back to selling used cars in plain sight -Part 17

OnceUponATime

On June 1, 2016 at 7:18 PM, BabyBottlePop said:

Can one compartmentalize that much? If Josh really believed in an angry, righteous God, then how could he do what he did, and seemingly so easily? How would he not be shaking in his boots at the thought of his actions? Almost makes me think Josh saw the power benefits of Fundie Christianity but doesn't really believe.

I think a huge part of it is that their brand of faith in particular (Quiverfull types and fundamentalists) hyper fixates on "everyone is a sinner but no matter what if you love Jesus you get to go to heaven" as a main takeaway. Instead of focusing on Jesus' message to love and try to be good they end up just basically strutting around feeling smug and superior in the knowledge they are safe. He probably figured his "brand" of sin was no worse than any others in the eyes of God and either way he has a guaranteed spot in heaven so who actually gives a toss about consequences here on Earth? I honestly think he believes in God and that no matter what he won't go to Hell, and he took that as license to behave awfully. 

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not surprised that this is what Josh has gone back to. After all, selling cars was his original job/gig when he married. I'm also not going to fault the man for doing something he knows how to do well to support his family. He's basically unemployable when it comes to other more stable jobs, and I'm just glad to see he's earning an income for himself and his five dependents. I'd be more annoyed if he was sitting at home doing nothing. Him finding a way to provide for his family was one of my concerns after all this went down, so I for one am relieved to see him out there working. 

3 hours ago, ksgranola1 said:

As far as Josh goes, he has to be on the outside looking in at his Gothard family & thinking, "this is whack-o."

And has perhaps wondered why Gothard himself didn't go to Jesus jail.

52 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

OMG. I hadn't thought of that in relation to Joshley. Ouch. 

isn't josh a used car himself lots of dents and scratches and  not run well? so he is a perfect used car salesman as honest any any of them.

2 hours ago, Dandruff said:

Right?? They could've been cellmates.

47 minutes ago, doggie said:

isn't josh a used car himself lots of dents and scratches and  not run well? so he is a perfect used car salesman as honest any any of them.

I wonder why JB hasn't tried to get an endorsement deal with Rogaine? Not now of course, since they are pariahs, but in the past. 

I agree that Josh makes the perfect bloated, sweaty,shadey  used car salesman.

I won't be surprised if in about a year Smugs will be back to actually working on a lot financed by JB.  There are probably enough people who desperate for a cheap hoopdee that they could care less who's selling it.  For the time being it seems they are easing him back into it.

1 hour ago, MatthewDuggar said:

I won't be surprised if in about a year Smugs will be back to actually working on a lot financed by JB.  There are probably enough people who desperate for a cheap hoopdee that they could care less who's selling it.  For the time being it seems they are easing him back into it.

But the problem there is that Josh isn't selling these cars for cheap. It seems like he's really asking for a lot for used cars, which I think was his schtick the last time he sold, too.

1 minute ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

But the problem there is that Josh isn't selling these cars for cheap. It seems like he's really asking for a lot for used cars, which I think was his schtick the last time he sold, too.

True, true - bad choice of words on my part!

1 hour ago, MatthewDuggar said:

Why wouldn't he have a lot now? Lots aren't that expensive there. If he has spent over 6 figures on cars (most look like tough sells), he could have bought a lot. Actually I think he should have spent the money he paid for the cars on real estate. I remember when Dan Dillard's house was shown. I'm always curious about low priced real estate and his AR area had great schools, looked well maintained and had many cute started home for under 75k. With cash Josh could have bought 3 maybe 4 homes instead of this huge odd inventory of cars. Then he could have had a nice monthly income from rents. He could have thrown a few bucks to Josiah or another brother to collect the rent and know one would have to see Josh.

It must be way more uncomfortable for Josh to have to use another name and meet people at his home or the side of the road. If he had good cars at a fair price I could see some people overlooking it , if he was selling at a commercial location with a staff (or at least Anna or some of his siblings around).

7 minutes ago, silverspoons said:

Why wouldn't he have a lot now? Lots aren't that expensive there. If he has spent over 6 figures on cars (most look like tough sells), he could have bought a lot. Actually I think he should have spent the money he paid for the cars on real estate. I remember when Dan Dillard's house was shown. I'm always curious about low priced real estate and his AR area had great schools, looked well maintained and had many cute started home for under 75k. With cash Josh could have bought 3 maybe 4 homes instead of this huge odd inventory of cars. Then he could have had a nice monthly income from rents. He could have thrown a few bucks to Josiah or another brother to collect the rent and know one would have to see Josh.

It must be way more uncomfortable for Josh to have to use another name and meet people at his home or the side of the road. If he had good cars at a fair price I could see some people overlooking it , if he was selling at a commercial location with a staff (or at least Anna or some of his siblings around).

Well I'm sure there is still a sense of shame going on.  There's less of a chance for haters to come and vandalize his car lot, media to stalk him, etc.  Plus I have a feeling they are keeping him under their thumbs as much as possible.  Less chance of "working late at the office" when you don't have one.

10 hours ago, JenniferJuniper said:

Or maybe it ends up a good thing for some of them.

Josh was allowed out his parents' sight, but he was never an independent man.  And he behaved like a teenager who goes completely wild when his parents go away for a vacation.  A very repressed teen who suddenly got to experience all of the things he thinks his friends are doing and he's only been able to dream about.

I'm glad that the "kids" at home Joy's age and older aren't rushing into arranged marriages like Josh's just to get away.   I believe Jim Bob would have sold Jana and Jinger to the Devil's uncle for ratings so my hope is that they, and their brothers, are resisting until they can find partners on their own.   And hopefully what they "walked through" with the Josh experience taught them some important things.  While Jim Bob and Michelle are no doubt selling this as a big, bad world corruption thing - fact is, they raised this douche and the minute he was out of their sight he behaved very, very badly.   John and Jana aren't kids and they aren't nearly as sheltered as they would have been sans TLC.  And they may be able to connect a few dots between the parental repression and their brother's behavior.

Either way, something is preventing Jim Bob from marrying his daughters off and anyone who watched Counting On knows more marriages was a constant tease that has yet to come to anything resembling fruition.  I just don't think these young adults are as clueless as Boob wants them to be.  

How are the girls ever going to meet anyone? They are not allowed out alone and certainly are forbidden from conversing privately with men.

The only hope for those girls is for JB to exit, stage right. Those older girls are hosed.

Jill had to go to Nepal to meet her dad's prayer partner and Jessa was stalked by a teenager- it most normal homes, neither of these situations would have been given a green light. Without the show, Derick would have been a no go...so would the unemployed teen.

Derick just had I think two months left in Nepal when Jill went to meet him. So, in normal time, that is, no TLC money times, she would have waited til he got home to meet him in person. That was cray cray indeed. 

I have thought before that the girls left at home have no real way to meet people, but I don't know of course. They do seem to travel places to visit. Maybe a stray left over fundie guy hanging around. 

Is the land where the TTH is zoned commercial? Maybe that's why the used car lot is there.

However, in Maryland, it's fairly common for an established car dealer to "feature" a vehicle off the main lot- perhaps in a well traveled area, where it might catch the eye of someone who won't come to the lot. It usually has the vehicle, perhaps price, and a phone number on it. I called on an antique car once that led back to a dealership.

10 hours ago, SassyPants said:

How are the girls ever going to meet anyone? They are not allowed out alone and certainly are forbidden from conversing privately with men.

The only hope for those girls is for JB to exit, stage right. Those older girls are hosed.

I think Jim Bob's grip on everyone will start loosening once the show has been long gone and the public completely loses interest in the Duggars.   He isn't Rick Arndt, who has some sort of a magical hold over his adult offspring no one can figure out.  He's a fumbling, bumbling idiot who got lucky and landed a long-running TV show.  And he's the father of Josh Duggar, who didn't hesitate to break every rule he could get his hands on once he was out of his parents' sight, even though he was supposedly safely married and ensconced in Gothard values.

As the unmarried offspring continue to age and take his resources without giving that much back (Josie must be turning seven this year; J-slaves aren't as much in demand anymore) and if they continue not to take his courtship recommendations, I'm not sure how hard he's going to fight to keep them all at home.  Or how much attention they'll even pay to him.  

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 2:36 AM, silverspoons said:

How did Josh get this much money to buy all these cars? I have checked his posts everyday with my husband who knows cars (so he can say if they are over priced, I hide the price and we play guess Josh's price). He has posted over 500k worth of cars in 2 or so weeks. He has taken a few down and reduced a few. Of course they are overpriced so lets say he paid even 150k for them, how did he get that type of cash. I can see Jim Bob letting him live in a house to control him. I can see Jim bob paying for his flip phone, but 6 figures of cash to buy cars?

Since he is living most likely bill free why not buy cheaper easy to sell cars like older but relaible sedans like Honda or Toyotas  that appeal to many and start over gradually. I notice Josh is willing to trade for Cessna's or other planes. He could have bought a used Cessna instead of some of those big trucks, low riders, and classic cars. While maybe a few are consignment , would that many people allow Josh to sell their cars? and that type of variety of cars would not come from a single consignor.

But...but... your idea actually makes sense.  That's where the problem lies.

I did wonder the same thing.  But fundie-ness aside, if you want to raise financially responsible kids, you don't just throw around money and let them make questionable investments (like hard to sell cars.)  You make them know the value of a buck.  But it usually starts out with an allowance, then a lemonade stand, selling rubberband bracelets and other crafts, then on to babysitting, etc. They didn't go through any of those steps, at least as far as we can see.

I can't see how JB paying for the houses, all the travel and vacations, and whatever else he does is going to teach those kids anything about managing on their own. Of course maybe that's the point.

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 9:15 AM, devoe364 said:

Thanks @ksgranola1 - since the FLDS are my gateway fundies, I tend to use their words first and foremost, but it is good to know Michelle has actually said it.

Josh was the expirement and he failed. They let him out into the wide world and instead of living the life Jim Bob commanded him to lead, he led his own life and it wasn't the way Jim-Bob wanted him to live. 

What makes me sad is the fac that this likely means none of the other J's are getting out nearly that easily. 

This makes me wonder... What if JB and the family found out about the affairs, but it didn't become public.  Would he have brushed it under the rug and told Josh to stay at the job and just pray more, and hope it wouldn't be discovered. I have a feeling that's how it would have gone down.

30 minutes ago, anotherone said:

This makes me wonder... What if JB and the family found out about the affairs, but it didn't become public.  Would he have brushed it under the rug and told Josh to stay at the job and just pray more, and hope it wouldn't be discovered. I have a feeling that's how it would have gone down.

I think JB would have beat the shit out of Josh (just like he probably really did last summer). And they would have blamed Anna a lot more than they probably already did. And of course a LOT of time in the prayer closet and Meechelle would have probably recommended a new blessing for the relationship to heal.

The only reason why the affair came out was because of the Ashley Madison hack. If that didn't happen I honestly think Josh would be having an affair. 

22 hours ago, MatthewDuggar said:

hoopdee

:pb_lol: I haven't heard this term in years. But that's precisely what he'll be selling (although for a more spendy price, like someone upthread mentioned).

Only now maybe people won't be willing to pay the celebrity premium like they were apparently willing to before these scandals came out.

*snip*

Well, I read somewhere that at these Big Sandy Conferences, the fathers of marriage-able daughters get together w/fathers of same boys & they exchange thoughts & numbers.

Why does that sound so slimy?

International Business Times has an article stating Josh wants to be on television again.

I don't think he knows how to support his family in any other way.

There are also other articles on saving counting on, I don't think that there will be any regular series any more.  The ratings showed very little interest and very limited advertising support for a continuing show.

They may get income from specials like the Roloff's do.

1 minute ago, Percy said:

International Business Times has an article stating Josh wants to be on television again.

I don't think he knows how to support his family in any other way.

There are also other articles on saving counting on, I don't think that there will be any regular series any more.  The ratings showed very little interest and very limited advertising support for a continuing show.

They may get income from specials like the Roloff's do.

I doubt that the viewers (even many Duggar fans) will like Josh back in tv. Yes, the girls do have some appeal, they are young and pretty, and they aren't to blame for the horrible things Josh did. But Josh himself? I doubt it that anyone would want to see him. Maybe some people would watch the first episode, just out of curiosity, but if the girls can't get up the ratings, Josh surely can't either. If anything, he'll make them a lot worse.

I can see ratings for Josh once, and as for the girls, they're boring. Look at what they could have done with Jill in dangerous CA, and what they actually did. In my opinion, they're done. Maybe that's wishful thinking.

52 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I can see ratings for Josh once, and as for the girls, they're boring. Look at what they could have done with Jill in dangerous CA, and what they actually did. In my opinion, they're done. Maybe that's wishful thinking.

I think a realistic scenario would be that TLC drops them (or only brings them back once in a blue moon for a short special), but they get some other show on a much smaller tv station. I suppose there are some lunatic fundie/fundie-lite networks in the US? 

I didn't realize their ratings were low. Thought I heard it was good enough for another season. The rating might actually improve if Josh does make an appearance. Leg humpers all over the country would be glued to the TV. Remember "some" of them are actually ok with him being a curious teen boy who molested his sisters....

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived