IGNORED

Anna & the M Kids – Part 7

FundieFarmer

On 6/9/2016 at 5:05 PM, CorruptionInc. said:

I am honestly relieved to find out that we are not the only family who goes out to eat afterwards! 

That's the case with my family as well, sometimes it's at someone's house, or a restaurant that has to set up enough tables and chairs for my dad's large Irish Catholic family. After my grandpa's funeral, his brother set up something at the country club he belonged to.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never been to a funeral where there was not a gathering with food afterwards. We call it a Repast. It's usually at someone's house, restaurant or sometimes the church hall. 

2 hours ago, Henri205 said:

Your post made me laugh out loud because I suddenly pictured the Duggars as part of the Borg.  Thanks!  Made my day. 

:) also, like that analogy is that far fetched...we all know what happens when one of the kids strays from the pre-set cookie cutter mold they're supposed to fit into (see Joy and her tomboy "phase"as Meechelle liked to label it...they Duggar'd that out of her. I remember Joy in one of the Counting On episodes saying "I used to be a tomboy" or something like that...but she didn't look all that convinced herself. It must be so so easy for some of the Duggerlings who perfectly fit into this Gothard mold and be ok and happy with that lifestyle (like Jill seems to fit), which is perfectly fine but some of the Duggar kids just don't look super stoked on it all. Also the Duggar Borgs were more obvious when they all wore those frumpers and had the exact same hair. :) 

7 minutes ago, MakeItSo said:

:) also, like that analogy is that far fetched...we all know what happens when one of the kids strays from the pre-set cookie cutter mold they're supposed to fit into (see Joy and her tomboy "phase"as Meechelle liked to label it...they Duggar'd that out of her. I remember Joy in one of the Counting On episodes saying "I used to be a tomboy" or something like that...but she didn't look all that convinced herself. It must be so so easy for some of the Duggerlings who perfectly fit into this Gothard mold and be ok and happy with that lifestyle (like Jill seems to fit), which is perfectly fine but some of the Duggar kids just don't look super stoked on it all. Also the Duggar Borgs were more obvious when they all wore those frumpers and had the exact same hair. :) 

It'd probably be pretty easy to pick out a Duggar-Borg in a crowd....the dead eyes, bronzed skin, etc.  I have to say though, that having been recently pulled into the Fundie rabbit holes (became obsessed after Josh's indiscretions were publicized and the unforgivable abuse was reported) that Jinger is absolutely stunning.  She's gorgeous.  I hope she finds a way out because she'd give those Kardashian robot-trollops a bit of competition. 

38 minutes ago, Henri205 said:

It'd probably be pretty easy to pick out a Duggar-Borg in a crowd....the dead eyes, bronzed skin, etc.  I have to say though, that having been recently pulled into the Fundie rabbit holes (became obsessed after Josh's indiscretions were publicized and the unforgivable abuse was reported) that Jinger is absolutely stunning.  She's gorgeous.  I hope she finds a way out because she'd give those Kardashian robot-trollops a bit of competition. 

I'm with you there. I think Jinger overdoes it on the bronzer sometimes, too but yeah, she's pretty! And to be honest the Kardashians don't do it for me. I don't pay much attention to them either so I can't tell them apart haha

21 hours ago, socalrules said:

I have never been to a funeral where there was not a gathering with food afterwards. We call it a Repast. It's usually at someone's house, restaurant or sometimes the church hall. 

I am going to a funeral tonight at 7pm so I doubt there will be any food afterwards. Though the visitation is right before the funeral and usually snacks are set out for those around here. Otherwise ever other funeral I have been to had food afterwards- usually in the church hall or some other type of hall. Never been to one at an actual restaurant or the family's house though. 

23 hours ago, MakeItSo said:

I'm with you there. I think Jinger overdoes it on the bronzer sometimes, too but yeah, she's pretty! And to be honest the Kardashians don't do it for me. I don't pay much attention to them either so I can't tell them apart haha

Sorry I wasn't clear, I truly think she could be a model if she was allowed.  I loathe the Kardashians but those Jenner tramps Kylie and Kendall are so phony with the lip plumping, etc.  Ugh. Jinger, bless her heart is a just a semi-natural beauty (minus the bronzer). 

Speaking of funerals and such, my Irish Catholic family seems to follow the local tradition.  Wake is at a funeral home, as someone stated above the close family stands in a receiving line and people can go look at the deceased and kneel and pray if desired.  Nobody in this family is anything but a Cafeteria Catholic or just non-observant.  After the funeral somebody will host at a function hall or something similar, so everybody can go eat and drink and generally celebrate the deceased's life.  After my grandmother's funeral (I was 17 and didn't attend under orders) everybody came to our house (my mother had it catered) and yucked it up, told stories about her.  When my aunt died 40 years later I was allowed to attend the wake and the funeral, and my cousin hosted a rather elaborate buffet lunch at a function hall.  So I guess the going out to eat is pretty common.  It DOES help to mix and share memories. 

On 6/16/2016 at 3:09 PM, ADoyle90815 said:

That's the case with my family as well, sometimes it's at someone's house, or a restaurant that has to set up enough tables and chairs for my dad's large Irish Catholic family. After my grandpa's funeral, his brother set up something at the country club he belonged to.

In my culture, food immediately following a funeral is called a repast. It is usually at the church. Sometimes it is at a home, or restaurant. People tend to eat like vultures at home repasts, to the point where food for the actual family has to be set aside or they would get nothing. Sometimes people wander and "borrow" things that belonged to the dearly departed if the repast is in their home. After a formal repast, the family and closest friends may gather together informally. 

It is also tradition to bring food for the family once you have been notified of a loss, preferably casseroles, lasagna, things that freeze and reheat well.

Food is an important part of mourning rituals.

When my Nanna passed away people gave money instead of food, I was in charge of corralling the little ones and making sure they ate. It's pretty normal for people to eat because for some families like mine, that's the only time you see eachother. 

Here in my area of the southern US, we have "visitation" at the funeral home one day, more visitation and the funeral service the next day -either at the funeral home or a church. Then a procession to the cemetary with a gathering afterward at the home of a family member, or in the church hall. The meal is pot-luck and food is provided by family, friends and church members. 

I've never been to a restaurant or a catered event after a funeral. The majority of my family & friends are middle-class Protestants with a sprinkling of Catholics. (See what I did there? :my_biggrin:)

Edited to add: Children of all ages are usually welcome at the visitation and funeral. It's basically left up to the parents. Young family members of the deceased almost always attend.

As many have already stated here, families typically gather to eat after a funeral - usually in the church hall. No alcohol, but there were certainly a few beers afterwards at someone's home.

I wanted to add that after my great aunt's funeral about 12 years ago, we did something a little different that some guests have since tried at other funerals.  My aunt had been living in a home for many years so all she possessed was in that room.
My mother was the prime contact for her care and executor of her will, so she was in charge of emptying her room and distributing her effects.  Certain family members received momentos with a higher value - a watch, a ring... but afterwards, we were left with a few boxes of photos and personal items. We  set up two tables in the hall with her effects and invited guests to please take whatever made them happy.  People were thrilled to find a photo they never knew existed or snag a keepsake. 

23 hours ago, zenbaby said:

As many have already stated here, families typically gather to eat after a funeral - usually in the church hall. No alcohol, but there were certainly a few beers afterwards at someone's home.

I wanted to add that after my great aunt's funeral about 12 years ago, we did something a little different that some guests have since tried at other funerals.  My aunt had been living in a home for many years so all she possessed was in that room.
My mother was the prime contact for her care and executor of her will, so she was in charge of emptying her room and distributing her effects.  Certain family members received momentos with a higher value - a watch, a ring... but afterwards, we were left with a few boxes of photos and personal items. We  set up two tables in the hall with her effects and invited guests to please take whatever made them happy.  People were thrilled to find a photo they never knew existed or snag a keepsake. 

No alcohol? Every after-funeral party I've ever been to in a church hall always had wine and beer, but it - like all the food - was supplied by the family. Maybe that's just how my church/my family does it, though. Granted, the church doesn't really care about alcohol on the premises - you should see the after-party on the last night of the carnival. If you stay late enough, it gets pretty crazy.

On 6/16/2016 at 1:56 PM, Elvis Presby said:

Michael's birthday is the day after mine.  This means he is a Gemini, the cream of the crop!  He is probably talkative, intelligent, entertaining, witty, and a conflict avoider.  Unfortunately for him, he will probably be forced to fit into a one size fits all role in life because he is a boy.  He will be expected to marry a pure girl, father lots of children, and raise them all up to either be like him or his wife based solely on what is between his children's legs.  He won't be told, during these formative years of his life, that he should enjoy his own life and carefully consider his choices before he makes them. 

Happy Birthday from a fellow Gemini. :occasion-birthday:

48 minutes ago, TeaGrannie said:

Happy Birthday from a fellow Gemini. :occasion-birthday:

Happy Birthday to you!  I feel sorry for my kids because they aren't Geminis.  I have 2 cancers, 1 virgo, and 1 scorpio.  I am very partial to libras.  My scorpio was supposed to be a sagittarius, but he came early, he is really a giant dick head, as only a scorpio can be.  

My brother is Gemini. I'm Cancer. I don't notice star signs much apart from when playing The Sims because it can affect compatability and so on. Reading about Cancer, it's very me, except that I'm not particularly tenacious and can give up quite easily.

I was just browsing the Duggar Family official FB page and saw a photo of Jason and Meredith from 15th June. Looks like Meredith has pierced ears. She looks a lot like Mackynzie did as a baby. She's got a headband on, natch.

Someone mentioned a story about Anna in the second topic about Jinger's courtship, but the topic moved on to #3. I wanted to ask more about it, so I figured I'd post here so it didn't get lost.

Did Anna really call Kelly Bates and tell her that they shouldn't publicize relationships until an engagement around the time of the Zach/Sarah failed courtship? Was this discussed anywhere on FJ that I could read about, or can someone just fill me in on the details?

36 minutes ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

Someone mentioned a story about Anna in the second topic about Jinger's courtship, but the topic moved on to #3. I wanted to ask more about it, so I figured I'd post here so it didn't get lost.

Did Anna really call Kelly Bates and tell her that they shouldn't publicize relationships until an engagement around the time of the Zach/Sarah failed courtship? Was this discussed anywhere on FJ that I could read about, or can someone just fill me in on the details?

The Maxwells have gone one step further and only revealed Joseph's marriage once it'd happened. I don't know if that was specifically because of the whole Elizabeth Munck disaster, but I wouldn't put it past them to do the same with any future marriages. 

Sorry for thread hijack. 

But anyway, if it did happen, Kelly didn't listen. When Erin began courting Chad it was announced on the blog- same with Zach and Whit, Michael and Brandon, Alyssa and John. (Nathan and Ashley happened on BuB so not quite the same). 

Anna has a love for the Lord, and a servant's heart? I did not know that.

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

Anna has a love for the Lord, and a servant's heart? I did not know that.

Yeah I love their videos because I always learn totally new information about them every time I watch them. Such depth, you know?

OMG, they got Anna to clean bathrooms and do dishes and do the work nobody else wants to do. 

I really can't think of a response fit to print for this one. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived