IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozenty!!11!!: The 20th (THREAD) Achieved!

FundieFarmer

20 hours ago, sophie10130 said:

oof. how can she cook with her hair down? that was my first cooking lesson: always put your hair up before you start cooking and if you touch your hair, wash your hands.

the only times I've ignored my Mom's warning I found a hair in whatever I was mixing. NEVER AGAIN.

I doubt she is doing much work, just a photo op.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree it's a staged photo op and I'm trying to figure out what she's doing with the crusts. She's not crimping them because they're already baked into position. They're browned. The best I can figure is they use WAAYYY too much foil to protect the crusts and she's removing the foil after they are out of the oven? Does anyone have a better idea on the foil?

And even this looks staged, because why would this be the last one they remove baking foil from?

1 hour ago, livinginthelight said:

I agree it's a staged photo op and I'm trying to figure out what she's doing with the crusts. She's not crimping them because they're already baked into position. They're browned. The best I can figure is they use WAAYYY too much foil to protect the crusts and she's removing the foil after they are out of the oven? Does anyone have a better idea on the foil?

And even this looks staged, because why would this be the last one they remove baking foil from?

You are right, they do look baked.  I thought she was putting foil on, not removing, and that the badly crimped ones were "in progress."

That being said, the fact that the picture is posed at the end of the process doesn't mean she wasn't involved. It is not that hard (as I said before) and the odds are that all the females in the family pitched in.

My mother definitely did all her own cooking, including dishes far more challenging than pumpkin pie (She made terrific flan, incredible brazo gitano [like jelly roll but with custard instead of jelly], charlottes, puddings, caramel cakes and various labor-intensive main dishes--all of them from scratch.) But we have more than one photo of her "posed" by the food when she was almost done cooking, and almost none of her as she was doing the messier, earlier stuff.   So it doesn't follow that because Michelle is posed at the end of the process, she didn't do any work.

I am not trying to "defend" Michelle.  It just seems to me that sometimes, in our general irritation with the Duggars, we sometimes make a big deal of fairly innocuous things.  Michelle may have given over all her cooking responsibilities to the J-slaves, but that doesn't mean she never stirs a custard or make a sandwich. ;) 

JMHO

I'm betting that picture is from last TG.

And I do my pie crusts like that w/the foil. Give the woman a break. She was even criticized for not having her apron tied. And how many of you wear a hair net in the kitchen.

7 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

You are right, they do look baked.  I thought she was putting foil on, not removing, and that the badly crimped ones were "in progress."

That being said, the fact that the picture is posed at the end of the process doesn't mean she wasn't involved. It is not that hard (as I said before) and the odds are that all the females in the family pitched in.

My mother definitely did all her own cooking, including dishes far more challenging than pumpkin pie (She made terrific flan, incredible brazo gitano [like jelly roll but with custard instead of jelly], charlottes, puddings, caramel cakes and various labor-intensive main dishes--all of them from scratch.) But we have more than one photo of her "posed" by the food when she was almost done cooking, and almost none of her as she was doing the messier, earlier stuff.   So it doesn't follow that because Michelle is posed at the end of the process, she didn't do any work.

I am not trying to "defend" Michelle.  It just seems to me that sometimes, in our general irritation with the Duggars, we sometimes make a big deal of fairly innocuous things.  Michelle may have given over all her cooking responsibilities to the J-slaves, but that doesn't mean she never stirs a custard or make a sandwich. ;) 

JMHO

Now, now, in Michelle's own words "anyone can make your man a sandwich....." I think she gave up making sandwiches a loooooooooong time ago. LOL and Hey, Hey, Hey :output_eeMbjt:

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Now, now, in Michelle's own words "anyone can make your man a sandwich....." I think she gave up making sandwiches a loooooooooong time ago. LOL and Hey, Hey, Hey :output_eeMbjt:

Yeah, that was what I was alluding to.  Just because anyone can make a sandwich doesn't mean that she never makes them.  I mean, like maybe two or three times a year, maybe?  

Maybe she's making some sort of cheesecake/pudding pies, where you only bake the crust and then let it set in the fridge....

On June 15, 2016 at 1:44 PM, anotherone said:

OK, what do you serve from that bowl that would not remind you that a fetus lived there?? 

I so want a butt cast for my kids, wish they were around years ago.  I could blackmail my kids, when their friends come over, if they don't behave I will hang those things on the wall and show everyone.

Baby back ribs?   

Facebook recommended I check out Food Network's 50 most saved recipes. At #22 was something suspiciously similar to Chickenetti! I've never particularly cared for Ree although the some of her recipes seem good so I was surprised (I think they play up the ranch too much). It's not exactly the same since she uses real cheese and not velveeta and a different cream of crap soup but still close.

image.png

A member mentioned Ree Drummond made a recipe similar to Anna's chickenetti before. It still makes me feel queasy looking at it.

Chicken spaghetti is a big deal around here. You'll find it at every potluck dinner and in every church's cookbook. (Well, maybe not every, but most for sure.)

You could make a cream of chicken/ mushroom soup from scratch and then make the chickenetti. This is a foreign dish to me but it looks like a good use of leftover roast chicken.  Always looking for different leftover ideas.

We have three new graduates from Duggar Academy, Yes, that's what they call their "school."

tumblr_o9cssn4IVK1r9t2zdo1_1280.jpg

12 minutes ago, marmalade said:

We have three new graduates from Duggar Academy, Yes, that's what they call their "school."

tumblr_o9cssn4IVK1r9t2zdo1_1280.jpg

Duggar Academy... Now I've really heard it all.

I want to start off by saying I absolutely love food, and I will eat just about anything set in front of me. If I had to eat chickenetti, I'd go for the one with real cheese, good quality chicken, and (preferably) no cream of crap anything (it's unnecessary for this sort of dish, in my book). But honestly it sounds like something I would make while cleaning out the pantry and fridge at school. I'm a college student, so all of those ingredients are things I'd have on hand! Plus I'm a total sucker for pasta and cheese :)

19 minutes ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

Duggar Academy... Now I've really heard it all.

Maybe I am in a non-snarking mood today, but why not call it that?  I am sure it is just a name.  They aren't recruiting students from other families and charging tuition.

So someone decided to use the "certificate" template on Word and create family diplomas. I bet a lot of homeschoolers do that.  Even if the Duggars have had no real education in their "academy," they have completed the assignments and so forth.  

The truth is even regular highschool diplomas are worth very little beyond decorating walls.  A transcript or GED is what matters in the real world.  Let the Duggar kids enjoy their diplomas. It is a harmless piece of paper.

10 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

Maybe I am in a non-snarking mood today, but why not call it that?  I am sure it is just a name.  They aren't recruiting students from other families and charging tuition.

So someone decided to use the "certificate" template on Word and create family diplomas. I bet a lot of homeschoolers do that.  Even if the Duggars have had no real education in their "academy," they have completed the assignments and so forth.  

The truth is even regular highschool diplomas are worth very little beyond decorating walls.  A transcript or GED is what matters in the real world.  Let the Duggar kids enjoy their diplomas. It is a harmless piece of paper.

I said what I said because it's the SOTDRT is far, far from the level of education you'd find in an academy. It's a bit of a stretch for me to take that name seriously when I know just how much of a farce their education system is. It is nice that they made their kids a diploma because I'm sure there are some homeschoolers who don't. I will give them that.

I know some homeschooling parents called their households "academies" as a cute nickname. That doesn't bother me, but I'm sad none of these kids will experience a genuine college that is not a Bible college.

1 hour ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

I said what I said because it's the SOTDRT is far, far from the level of education you'd find in an academy. It's a bit of a stretch for me to take that name seriously when I know just how much of a farce their education system is. It is nice that they made their kids a diploma because I'm sure there are some homeschoolers who don't. I will give them that.

Why are they standing in  a construction site?

23 minutes ago, season of life said:

I know some homeschooling parents called their households "academies" as a cute nickname. That doesn't bother me, but I'm sad none of these kids will experience a genuine college that is not a Bible college.

Hell, not even Bible college. They've had one kid go for a one-year program -- somehow they made a stint at a useless school even more useless.

1 hour ago, gustava said:

Why are they standing in  a construction site?

Seriously, why is everyone paying attention to that shitty name thing and not to this?

13 hours ago, Meridae said:

I want to start off by saying I absolutely love food, and I will eat just about anything set in front of me. If I had to eat chickenetti, I'd go for the one with real cheese, good quality chicken, and (preferably) no cream of crap anything (it's unnecessary for this sort of dish, in my book). But honestly it sounds like something I would make while cleaning out the pantry and fridge at school. I'm a college student, so all of those ingredients are things I'd have on hand! Plus I'm a total sucker for pasta and cheese :)

Fellow food lover here. It's actually not a terrible recipe, there's a million combinations of pasta, cheese, and a protein. I would nix the chicken and broth (vegetarian), add more veggies, and use real cheese. 

What I think is bothersome is a poster noted how this recipe (as well as many others) use a lot of processed foods. Of course, someone jumped on them saying that "the kids look happy and healthy and we shouldn't judge them blah blah blah). It was literally just a comment. I would have to agree, in order to support a family that size and use the philosophy of "dirt cheap or bust!", you'd have to limit the use of fresher, more expensive foods (perimeter of the grocery store, if you will) and do the cheap, processed stuff. Then again, we also know that Jilly Muffin used to sneak food, so maybe meager portion sizes reduces the potential health ramifications. Everything in moderation, right?

2 hours ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

Oh, I agree.  Their "education system" is a disgrace and should be an embarrassment not only to the Duggars but to the state of Arkansas.

I didn't take the name seriously though.   Maybe Michelle does--if Jana is a concert pianist, the SOTDRT could be an academy in her eyes--but I just saw it as a way to give recognition for the kids' completion of what passes for an academic program.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • OnceUponATime unpinned this topic

Archived