IGNORED

30 Yr Old Woman Wins Right to Sterilize Herself

roddma

Forgot to add: I can't even get a IUD that lasts longer than a year for fear that I'll change my mind. 

just fyi, most iud's i know of can be removed at any time. mine (paraguard) is good for 10 years, but i plan to have it removed in 3-4 years to try to conceive again. my doc said she's removed a few within months because the woman requested it. just because it can last for years doesn't mean it has to, so don't feel limited in your options because of that.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 29. Mai 2016 at 9:15 AM, CharlieInCharge said:

I just wanted to defend the docs a bit here. My understanding (from friends and my own doctors) is that a big reason some docs will not perform the procedure until their 'conditions' have been met is fear of lawsuits. Like someone else mentioned above it is not uncommon to sign your suing rights away before getting sterilized. Doctors don't want patients coming back years later upset because they changed their mind for some reason. I know it sucks for people who know their own minds, but I understand where the hesitation comes from. 

We live in a Coast Guard area and the local docs will absolutely NOT perform a vasectomy without written consent from the spouse because they've had problems with guys doing it on the DL. Sneaky. 

I totally agree with your point about possible future lawsuits. If I happened to be a doctor, you bet I'd have similar policies in place. No way would I get sued because some guy decided it was my fault I performed a vasectomy on him at 20 and now he's 35 and regretting it. 

I support people making their own choices about their body. However, I am aware of the fact that life circumstances and people change. It's great that many here are so sure about their decision and I applaud them for being so decided and firm on it, but I don't think the majority of people work that way. When I was 18 I was so sure I would never get married and I really disliked children, I was sure I'd never want any. I felt so invincible at that point in my life, I was smart for my age and still, I might have not been able to properly assess the severity of the procedure. People like me, who wake up years later with no bigger wish than to have a family are misadvised with that permanent a procedure.

I don't think it's fair to deny people their wish for a vasectomy or tubal ligation, or even a hysterectomy. However, there should be reasonable regulations. Reproduction is a vital part of our nature and permanent surgical intervention might have consequences that some people cannot assess when they make their decisions. I think it is reasonable to set the bar for availability at 25 and with counseling and a period of a few weeks to reassess the decision. Once people turn 30 or 35, it really should be available with no further regulations other than that the surgeon won't and can't be sued for performing the operation (unless it is a malpractice suit). 

In short, my point is:  30 is not the same as 18. 

Archived