IGNORED

"Man Selling Child-Training Whips is Back" MERGED

doggie

not sure if we talked about this ahole or not. 

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2016/05/18/this-christian-is-selling-child-beating-sticks-but-he-doesnt-want-the-internet-to-find-out/?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link

This Christian is Selling Child-Beating Sticks (But He Doesn’t Want the Internet to Find Out)

May 18, 2016 by Hemant Mehta 219 Comments

It was a decade ago when Steve Haymond, a fundamentalist Christian, wrote on his Biblical Child Training website about the best way to discipline your kids. Taking a page from Michael and Debi Pearl, authors of the infamous To Train Up a Child, Haymond sold a “chastening instrument” that would produce “the right amount of sting without injury!”

HaymondWhip.jpg

If he doesn't want the Internet to find out, it's too late now. Karma, baby, karma.

12 minutes ago, pamplemousse said:

If he doesn't want the Internet to find out, it's too late now. Karma, baby, karma.

The internetz is forever... muahahahahaha

ps: this guy is an asshat, but that goes without question

He doesn't want it on the internet? :shock:  Excuse me, but...

:laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling:

"Easily fits in pocket, purse, or diaper bag ."

:pb_cry::pb_cry::pb_cry:

31 minutes ago, smittykins said:

"Easily fits in pocket, purse, or diaper bag ."

:pb_cry::pb_cry::pb_cry:

That makes me sick. 

2 minutes ago, Loveday said:

That makes me sick. 

You beat me to it. Absolutely disgusting.

:my_angry: :my_angry: :my_angry:

I wonder if this provides the "right amount of sting" for the elderly or developmentally disabled who, like children, may not be understanding or obeying your godly commands fast enough (not actually advocating violence towards the elderly and disabled, but I find the question usually shuts them right up).

I don't think he's been discussed, they used to live in my neck of the woods before they fled to Montana. I know people who told him not to sell those lest he get sued. . .

1 hour ago, doggie said:
  1 hour ago, Geechee Girl said:
You beat me to it. Absolutely disgusting.
1 hour ago, doggie said:

Did she use one of these?

I'm not sure what you are asking.

Didn't Michelle advocate using something like this before she became famous? I seem to remember people were asking her where she got the flexible ruler. Don't know if she used this particular model. It's indestructible, which should appeal to the miserly Duggars. Lord have mercy.

46 minutes ago, Geechee Girl said:

@doggie is asking if she "beat you to it" with the child beating stick...

My parents would go buy these at Hobby Lobby to use solely for spanking. This kind of thing doesn't surprise me, but I think that if he didn't want the internet to find out then he should have reconsidered whether he should sell them at all.

Maybe it's a marketing technique. Saying you don't want something on the internet is a great way to get the internet to suddenly pay attention.

Stuff like this just reaffirms my belief that if they're right and I'm wrong, and Heaven is filled with people like this toddler-beating sociopath ... I'll be much, much happier in Hell!

18 hours ago, Geechee Girl said:

it was sarcasm you said you beat me to it I was asking if one of these paddles was used for the beating. 

Hevean forbid you by a beating stick that is not premium grade polyeurithane! these are the beating sticks that are in style, all the cool fundies are using them now! Why Mrs. Pennington buys them by the caseload! I wouldn't be caught dead with a cheap knock off version!

Back in the day  (when I was pregnant with my oldest, so late 90's) this man was talked about all over mothering boards.  Ezzo was huge and people loved Ted Tripp and the twit out of CO (too lazy to google name, always referred to him as the dog beater!) and I almost forgot about John Rosemond.  While none of the "experts" came out and said his name or product, they certainly approved.  Ezzo used to sell something similar but deferred to this guy by the time my son was born.  

Really surprised it took this long for him to be back.  Especially in the south (where I live).  Thank goodness as a new mom I was part of a Christian "gentle parenting" group.  I was already all sorts of messed up during that period, and I could see me going full face fundy.  

6 hours ago, TShirtsLongSkirts said:

Stuff like this just reaffirms my belief that if they're right and I'm wrong, and Heaven is filled with people like this toddler-beating sociopath ... I'll be much, much happier in Hell!

Although I leave it up to God to decide where people go when they die, I suspect a lot of these people will be very unpleasantly surprised when they find out their final destination.

Every once in a while when finding topics for the FJ FB, I find a real gem. A real damn gem. Now is one of those times. 

TW for abuse, feels, and having your day ruined by the "Wow, people really fucking suck" variety. 

Here's the article in its entirety below, and here's a link with the images, for your reference. 

The above image [in the article] is an advertisement that used to run in Christian homeschool magazines. “The ideal tool for child training,” reads the test below an image of a long, thin shaft with a handle, a rod intended for whipping children. “The means prescribed by God,” it reads. And there’s a poem: “Spoons are for cooking / Belts are for holding up pants / Hands are for loving / RODS are for chastening.” This “flexible nylon rod” with its “cushioned vinyl grip” was marketed by Steve Haymond, and was primarily purchased by Christian homeschooling families.

By 2006, the internet and the activism of several concerned homeschool parents had taken its tole on Haymond’s whip-selling business. Raymond had advertised his whips in Christian homeschooling magazines for years (see the image above), and had also begun advertising on the internet. But as the public caught wind of Haymond’s business, things went south. Under mounting pressure, Haymond shut the business down. In the years since, his rods have been used in several high-profile child abuse cases, and young adults who were beaten with his rods have spoken out. But today, Haymond is back—and he doesn’t want you to know.

A guest on podcaster Phil Ferguson‘s show recently provided him with a letter from Haymond announcing that he was starting his business back up, with newly designed rods, but asking that that information not be shared with the internet. Ferguson promptly posted the letter to Facebook. “Let’s show him how the internet works,” Ferguson wrote on his posting. “Please share.” 

Here is a transcription of the letter:

April 7, 2016

Dear friends,

I am contacting you as a former customer of Child Training Resources. As you may know, we stopped selling our chastening instruments and closed our business in 2006 due to external pressures and family reasons. Since that time and after 10 years of periodic request sand inquiries, we have decided to again making these chastening instruments available — but only on a private basis and without a web site or ANY internet exposure.

To jog your memory or for those of you unfamiliar with our instrument, the blue spanker is 9” long, 1.5” wide and 3/16” thick. Made of virtually indestructible polyurethane, it is extremely flexible and quite portable (easily fits in a purse, back pocket or diaper bag).

[price, shipping, and payment instructions]

One more I’m,portent thing. Feel free to let other Biblically-minded parents know about this chastening instrument, but do not post anything about it on the internet and please exercise discretion as to who you tell about them. Although proper chastisement is legal, there are some (even among family members) who mistakenly believe that spanking of any kind constitutes child abuse. Our willingness and ability to make these instruments available to parents who believe in Biblical chastisement depends both on their responsible use by us as parents (see our tips) and care in who we tell about them. Thank you for your sensitivity on this.

[closing and signature]

There’s a sort of perverse pleasure to seeing people who think they can keep the ethically sketchy things they’re doing off the internet find out it doesn’t work like that. But you know what? This story has to be about more than that. It has to be about more than laughing at Haymond, and sharing the story on your Facebook with something about how stupid people like him are to think they can hide things from the internet. It has to be more, because I was that child. 

I was a child when putting advertisements for whips in Christian homeschool magazines was a thing. My own homeschool mother used a wooden paddle, and liberally. The homeschool child rearing guru she followed advised using quarter inch plumbing supply line. At one point someone convinced my mother that she should spank us with rods we cut from the trees outside; she soon found that this approach drew blood, however, and returned to her ever-handy paddle. It may be hard to fathom, for some, but the debate over what implement should be used for beating one’s children into obedience was quite active in the Christian homeschool community of my youth. But it wasn’t just a debate—it was a business.

Haymond was never the only person selling whipping rods. As I remember it, you could walk into just about any Christian homeschool convention in the country and purchase implements for beating your children. I’m not sure whether this is still true, ten years after I left home for college, but I did go to a Christian homeschool convention several years ago, and guess who was there? One of Michael and Debi Pearl’s children, selling his child abuse manual. And yes, I think I can call it that—it’s all right there in his book, down to breaking children and beating them into complete and total submission, and much more.

The books, the implements, the conferences, the workshops. An entire industry has been built around helping parents beat their children into submission, and while Haymond may have shut his business down for a decade, Michael Pearl never did—and nor did many, many, many others. Some children have died, and many others have come of age haunted by a childhood spent in fear of an implement, of a hand, of a moment, the complete and immediate obedience whipped into them during childhood forever warping their adult interactions with their parents—if they decide to continue those interactions at all.

This story isn’t a funny read, or a punchline. It’s a travesty.

If we can help stop Let Them Marry, please can we do it for this too?? 

It's a different article and Libby Anne is great but this is a duplicate topic.  Merge?

Reporting my own post. :)

6 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

Hevean forbid you by a beating stick that is not premium grade polyeurithane! these are the beating sticks that are in style, all the cool fundies are using them now! Why Mrs. Pennington buys them by the caseload! I wouldn't be caught dead with a cheap knock off version!

It's not the parent who might end up dead with one of these.

A fundie trying to sell rods to beat children with decided it wasn't such a good idea after all. 

patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2016/05/21/the-christian-who-was-secretly-selling-child-beating-sticks-has-shut-his-business-down/

The other day, I posted about a fundamentalist Christian, Steve Haymond, who was once again selling “chastening instruments” (a.k.a. child-whipping sticks) after a decade hiatus. He sent snail mail letters about his business to his old customers, but unbeknownst to him, one letter was sent to a home with new owners… and the letter got back to podcaster Phil Ferguson.

The most entertaining part about the letter was that it explicitly urged customers not to post anything about it on the internet.

Phil talked about it on his show, we posted about it on this site, and it spread even beyond that. So much for secrecy.

Ferguson called Haymond to make sure this was actually being done.  Haymond picked up and when Ferguson told him he wanted a discipline rod of his very own confirmed this was an actual offer.  Afterwards Mr. Haymond decided he didn't like the exposure so he's shut the business down.

Archived