IGNORED

Escaping Polygamy - Mainly Kingston Clan - Otherwise Known as "The Order"

Just recently started watching this show and can't believe the Kingstons hide in plain site.  And that they still practice intermarriage with close relatives....

• Upvote 2

I watched the first season and glad to see they are back. My husband even got into watching it. 

The FLDS just floor me, the emotional and religious abuse is mind boggling and the amount of brainwashing. I wonder if and how it will ever stop. I really hope something/someone brings down the Kingstons and Jeffs. 

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, seattlechic said:

Great. Now I am obsessed with watching this. Anyone know if the first season is available online anywhere?

I watch it on a streaming site that's called (redacted) they have the whole of season 1 

Edited by samurai_sarah
Edited to remove name of illegal streaming site

Please neither link, nor suggest illegal streaming websites. It's against the TOU. Thank you!

It really is shocking how many people can get away with denying their children an education claiming that is a part of their religion.  So glad these three sisters were able to escape that life and that they are helping others.  I know how strong the pull of family can be to keep you in religious culture that is so obviously toxic. 

• Upvote 2

The Kingston rabbit hole is so deep, dark and twisted. I stuck my toes in a few weeks ago. It's very confusing. 

I watched Escaping Polygamy the other night. Three Kingston sisters helping their 18 year old sister escape.  She had over $60k from an accident settlement in the "bank".  After what seemed like a lot of persistence,  she was able to withdraw $5k - in the form of a check - that she was able to cash at another bank.  Very shady "banking" practices.  

She'll never see the rest of her money I imagine.

At least she left with $5k.  

The abuses are stomach turning. 

• Upvote 4

I know there was some discussion of the premiere in the Kingston thread, but I wanted to start a separate thread for people who may not be keeping up with that thread and because the show has featured other groups, too. I think this season will feature some women from the FLDS.

The last season definitely had a lot of "reality" and staging, but this episode, at least, seemed much more realistic, perhaps because it involved Jessica & Andrea's full sister and they also spoke more about their own experiences. I could definitely feel the tension when they went to their mother's house to get Jennifer's belongings. The photos of Jessica and her uncle and her stories of his grooming were awful. It's chilling to think that shit is routine in this group. The scene in the bank was also pretty jaw-dropping. I'm glad Andrea went in with her, because Jennifer definitely would not have had the skills to demand service the way her sister did.

I noticed when they were discussing the text Jennifer got from Daniel that he was saved in her phone as "Daniel #15." I'm guessing that's his number.

I also noticed that the statement at the end of the episode changed. Last season it always said that no one responded to requests for comment; on this episode it said that Daniel Kingston did respond to deny most of the claims against the Order.

I can't help but wonder about "The Insider." Are they just there for the TV show? Plot device? I'm so jaded; I just can't trust reality TV at the end of the day.

• Upvote 7

For an all new show that would make sense.  We're already on season two here where discussion had already begun on this season.   This isn't a lively topic either.

A&E has all the first season episodes on it. 

http://www.aetv.com/shows/escaping-polygamy

9 hours ago, dianapavelovna said:

I can't help but wonder about "The Insider." Are they just there for the TV show? Plot device? I'm so jaded; I just can't trust reality TV at the end of the day.

I wonder about the insider too. Seems too perfect. My guess is that person is already or now out of the cult and they previously fed info to the sisters. 

Sweet mother of all that is good and holy.

This is the weirdest fucking thing ever.

If anyone needs rescuing from the rabbit hole, I'll be up here with the ferrets. They're primed and ready to go. :ferret::ferret::ferret:

• Upvote 8

Without a doubt, this is a squicky group.  The local police are in the cult, too, and any outsiders to the town are followed... oddness.

There is a Jeffs compound here in SoDak, at the west end of the state.  Just about anyone I talk to about it wants it gone. (Not sure how much background on the FDLS these folks have.  ANY outsiders, compound or not, usually gets a side eye for a while.)

I used to go to SLC for biz travel, years ago, and unfortunately arrived on Pioneer Day, a state holiday, where everything is shut down and people push handcarts into town, in pioneer garb (festival, parade, holiday type events.) In the early 2000s, one could only get wine with dinner if they were staying in the hotel, as that gave them "membership" into an accepted club to serve.  I believe that rule has changed a bit.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, MarblesMom said:

I used to go to SLC for biz travel, years ago, and unfortunately arrived on Pioneer Day, a state holiday, where everything is shut down and people push handcarts into town, in pioneer garb (festival, parade, holiday type events.) In the early 2000s, one could only get wine with dinner if they were staying in the hotel, as that gave them "membership" into an accepted club to serve.  I believe that rule has changed a bit.

Good news- there is now an alternative movement to Pioneer Day in SLC- Pie & Beer Day, and a great many pubs partake, although of course the best are still the house parties if you can get to one! :)

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

Where are we finding more things about the Kingstons? This is a rabbit hole I'd love to go down but all I'm finding is the Rolling Stone article and Wikipedia.

3 hours ago, BabyBottlePop said:

Where are we finding more things about the Kingstons? This is a rabbit hole I'd love to go down but all I'm finding is the Rolling Stone article and Wikipedia.

At the first post in this topic a few pages are mentioned. From there one you should be able to go deeper in the rabbit hole

• Upvote 1

I clicked on the tumblr post. OMG the headache. I can't keep up with all the incest. I tried to keep it straight but wow.

Edited by Coconut Flan
Please link to much older posts or snip and paste the important parts.
  • Upvote 1

I thought you were being hyperbolic about the headache, @OyToTheVey!  Now I know better;  I can't figure out if it's the font, formatting or simply my brain stabbing me behind the eyes to stop me from reading any more of this sickening clan.    Seeing "The Kingston Clan" in the Unread Content feed didn't ever pique my interest as I conflated them with the Kingston Trio group my parents forced me to listen to all through my childhood.  That this level of sexual abuse and incest is going on and nothing is being done about it is simply horrifying.  

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

I clicked on the tumblr post. OMG the headache. I can't keep up with all the incest. I tried to keep it straight but wow.

I think I can only take this clan in small doses. Talk about major nausea & liberal doses of this: :brainbleach:

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, violynn said:

I thought you were being hyperbolic about the headache, @OyToTheVey!  Now I know better;  I can't figure out if it's the font, formatting or simply my brain stabbing me behind the eyes to stop me from reading any more of this sickening clan.    Seeing "The Kingston Clan" in the Unread Content feed didn't ever pique my interest as I conflated them with the Kingston Trio group my parents forced me to listen to all through my childhood.  That this level of sexual abuse and incest is going on and nothing is being done about it is simply horrifying.  

Nope! I got to the part where the author starts explaining who's who in the family and my eye balls wanted to bounce out of my head. I really tried to follow along but I think I got lost after I saw people with 2 Kingstons in their legal names.

57 minutes ago, LadyCrow1313 said:

I think I can only take this clan in small doses. Talk about major nausea & liberal doses of this: :brainbleach:

I've been watching Escaping Polygamy and I still have no idea whose sister is whose. I'm just gonna assume they all have the same dad lol

• Upvote 3

That's a good plan. The three main girls do all have the same dad. The blonde and the red head have the same mom too.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, violynn said:

I conflated them with the Kingston Trio group

@violynn  And I, of course, instantly connected the Kingston Trio to the Del Rubio Triplets.  Not even close.

• Upvote 1

I'm curious to know if the wives suffer with miscarriages often or if the babies are severely affected.  I know they do carry some issues due to the inbreeding, disorders and whatnot...I guess what I'm getting at is...at best, do new children of the group *only* have to worry about a disorder or mild deformities.  Basically, the children we'd consider "special" or in need of constant care are the strong ones who managed to survive.  

(I hope that was clear, I keep rereading it to see if I can make it sound more concise)

I've watched a few episodes of Escaping Polygamy and am completely creeped out by the scenes of little children declaring "Brother Paul is the man on the watch tower." That level of indoctrination in a 5 year old is bone chilling.

• Upvote 6

Last night's episode featured one of Warren Jeff's daughters. He sexually abused her (no surprise there) and then wrote creepy non apology letters. She escaped (with her children, thank goodness), and now wants to help one of her sisters get out.

Warren Jeffs is the devil incarnate, concentrated evil.

• Upvote 4

It's so icky that Jeffs kept his family in SD (I'm guessing they're gone now that is known.)  Nobody in SD wants a cult there, much less the FLDS. It was pretty common knowledge when they were moving in, and nobody was happy. (I think that's actually how I learned about the FLDS.) Warren Jeffs is disgusting and I feel terrible for his followers, like Yolanda from last season. When she first left, she was adamant that he was getting out of prison any day. When they followed up, she was obviously angry about the lies. 

These women have really gone through hell growing up. I'm glad they got out and are helping others while exposing these groups for what they are. 

• Upvote 1

I hadn't realized Jeffs bought property in SD and CO. In one of the many books I read one of them mentioned a compound up in British Columbia (I think) and that is where exiled members were sent. One of the books said it was a huge work and child labor camp. 

It was chilling to hear her say that Warren made the married couples feel guilty for loving each other. What complete brainwash control he has over most of these people. So heartbreaking. 

I still wonder what will break the spell and brainwashing of all these people.

• Upvote 2