IGNORED

Documentary: Virgin Tales

mrs

Sleepygirl1 = new favorite person!!!

I'm about 15 minutes in. I'd like to point out to Genius Kevin Moore, MD (where did you do your GYN residency again, you moron?) that every woman is at risk for cervical cancer whether she saved her first kiss for the altar or not. Anyone want to point me to a doctor who won't do a Pap upon hearing the patient was a virgin until marriage? No? Hm, WONDER WHY. And don't even get me started on divorce.

Secondly, I love this whole "we got to know each other and he proposed after 8 weeks!" shtick. Yeah I'm sure you learned EVERYTHING about him.

Ughgjsdbflshfksljrbfksljbf. I can't deal with the idiocy. Too much.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought he seemed pretty creepy in the documentary going on about the virginity of his sisters, and that video really disturbs me for some reason. I think it is because people are paying to send their young boys to an incredibly sheltered and probably disturbed 17 year-old to learn about honor from costumes and random quotes. Did his video even define "honor?" (I've had a few glasses of wine so I may have missed it. )

I've had a glass of chardonnay myself, but I don't think we missed it. It's just one buzz word after another with these people. No substance. The costumes are freaky and I can't imagine there are too many parents sending their sons to Godly Logan's Manly Playhouse for a whole week. At least I hope there aren't. The bring-your-own-teacup etiquette parties for girls seem bad enough.

I've had a glass of chardonnay myself, but I don't think we missed it. It's just one buzz word after another with these people. No substance. The costumes are freaky and I can't imagine there are too many parents sending their sons to Godly Logan's Manly Playhouse for a whole week. At least I hope there aren't. The bring-your-own-teacup etiquette parties for girls seem bad enough.

I hope there aren't many parents sending their sons too, but I'm afraid that with his father's position and the popularity of the purity balls he may have a fairly large audience. Requiring your guests to bring their own tea cups sounds like an etiquette fail from the very beginning; they probably get the silverware placement all wrong too.

I watched this on Showtime and made notes. Geek! :embarrassed: Here's what I learned:

Never watch stiff white teenagers in formal wear try to get funky to "How low can you go?"

When a virgin kneels before her daddy to be blessed, she is praised for being a compassionate beautiful flower. A virgin son is a warrior.

Jordyn, Khrystian, Kameryn, Kaalyn. Only eldest daughter Lauren escaped the "Y" curse.

A virgin will willingly roll on the floor to show off her leopard-print high heels. She also loves Bumpits, pearls and lots of makeup that makes her look like a 40 yr old (virgin).

Purity = harp music, gilded ballroom, chandeliers and lots of swirling chiffon.

Randy claims condoms are no protection becuz SCIENCE! Also, the first evolutionist was SATAN! And did you know that homosexuals have an agenda???

Being a virgin makes Jordyn extremely sad. When her family taunts her for not being married ("Married is better!"), she forces a smile and makes herself as small as possible, hiding by the fireplace like Cinderella.

All Manhood ceremonies should include homemade plaques, a child squeaking about warfare and going into battle while wearing a knight's helmet, plus the sheer LOLZ of an Oscar Wilde quote.

Randy likes to hold swords very erect.

The Wilson children are taught to practice their smiles in the mirror. Mum sez they must never be contented but not show it.

The Wilson parents were virgins when they married. Randy prays that God blesses the girls he kissed pre-marriage because "I don't like what I did." Hmmm....

There's no good reason for Jordyn to spend $$$ on college when she can hold a School of Grace to teach girls to be ladies by warming a room with their presence and countenance. This involves serving a formal tea and doing the Playboy Bunny dip so as not to show any cleavage. Textbook: Book of Etiquette circa 1921.

Why the Wilson males finish in two minutes: their only sex ed is fast-forwarding through movie love scenes.

While on a "No separation of church and state! Tolerance is terrible!" rant, Slick Randy is flummoxed by another man gently asking him why there are no religious texts in our supposedly Christian nation's founding documents. :::cue crickets:::

One cannot live a moral life without religion!

There's always room for a Palin quote: "Tea party--you're winning!" Hubris like Charlie Sheen. Foresight of a brick.

Apparently there are two extremes of fatherhood: the distant non-existent dad and the controlling, abusive types. Any guesses where Purity Dads fall on that spectrum?

/fin/

• 1 year later...

Very late to this thread :embarrassed:

I watched the initial Virgin Daughters documentary back when I first discovered the Duggars, and I'm just absolutely fascinated/stumped by it all.

While watching Virgin Tales, I was amazed that the father works for FRC! As I'm not from America, I wouldn't have picked up on it had I not known that Josh worked there.

These people give off the creepiest of vibes, but I'm endlessly curious about it all.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to be a stay at home wife and mother. But it is a choice. I cannot wait to be a stay at home mother/wife once I have children. But if I had not been encourage to attend college by my parents, I would never have met my husband. College education is more then a just a degree.

Most stay-at-home moms and dads eventually do want to work after the kids are in school or grown. So yeah, education is important.

Can't wait for this one to come out. I got Showtime set up on my TV because I thought it came out already (Yes, I'm a loser).

The problem with the emphasis on purity is that when young men and women slip up, it becomes a point of stress or even depression in their lives. All this emotional abuse over what amounts to imagined religious requirements.

It is a good relief that Penn&Teller's Bullshit is on the same network. I don't know if they have done a purity ball episode but my god, if they did, they would kill it.

• 3 months later...

The air of phoniness surrounding this family is intense. I have a feeling they hide a lot- about their feelings and about what really goes on behind closed doors. The father (and one day his clone son Colton) is abhorrent to me. Something so slick and shady yet smugly arrogant. How much do you want to bet he has Josh Duggar-style scandals just waiting to erupt?

Anyone that obsessed with sex and controlling the sexuality and bodies of women, especially his daughters, has likely got some serious issues himself.

Random things I noted?

1. Yes, it seems good ol' Randy is wearing a rug.

2. He seems totally disinterested in his wife and there is no way I believe that's the only woman he has had sex with.

3. Does Randy tell his kids what their names mean during every creepy blessing? Does he just repeat the same nonsense to them each time? Why do they have to kneel in a row like that? Like he's some medieval king?

4. The daughters totally bent over to lay their roses on the altar. So much for squatting down.

5. These kids get married so fast to someone they barely know because they are so repressed sexually- they can't even masturbate or fantasize about sex- and they are rigidly sheltered. They would do anything to get away from that.

6. Colton's wife seems to be withstanding marriage to him. Not enjoying it and certainly not in love. These poor people are not only forced to repress all sexuality before marriage and any negative feelings at any time, they are also forced to endure marriages to people they barely know or who they may not be compatible with, because they aren't allowed to ever be independent and discover what they like, they aren't allowed to date and discover who they like and since God drops a mate in their laps, they aren't allowed to determine that they made a mistake in picking a spouse they knew for 2 minutes.

7. Colton married someone who looks exactly like one of his sisters.

8. Ugh.

The full documentary is on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RRWflolvjU

Does anyone else find it weird that when the fundies talk about "no touching" courting, they always say something like "because there's no touching, they were able to really get to know each other"? Do they really think the two are mutually exclusive? Or do they say it to justify the engagements and marriages that take place only a few months after they meet?

• 8 months later...

So, this was a while back but I can still recall it fresh as ever. In the early 2000's there was a Swiss filming team that came to the states and stayed with The Wilson Family. 

The Wilson's reside in Colorful Colorado Springs, home to the New Life Church. They have seven Children ranging in age from 9 to 27. Lauren 27 (Married), Colten 25 (Married to another Anna :/), Khrystian 24 (Married), Jordyn 23, Logan 16, Kameryn 15, and Kaalyn 9. So, I bet your wondering why these people are so important they have their own documentary?

You got it, Randy and Lisa Wilson are single-handly responsible for spreading this creepy-eyebrow raising-incesty vibes- event. 

They claim: "We wanted to invent an event that would touch the intrisinic soul of a young girl and reinforce the natural order of the father being the ONLY male allowed to give some forms of physical affection." 

We follow them from one Purity Ball (Held at the imperial hotel known as The Broadmoor.) through Thanksgiving, Christmas, and ending on what is supposedly their last hosted purity ball. 

We get to witness the only job their daughter's is allowed to do: Teach edicate classes. This (huge waste of money) teaches your girls how to do such practical things as set a lovely table, not to bend at the waist over a water fountain, knees is where its at unless you are a whore, and pour tea. All I could think of when they were was of the scene from Mulan where she has to pour the tea to please her future inlaws.

As much as I rag on Jordyn, I did feel sorry for her. Sure she refers to going to college as a "waste of money and time" and spends most of her time practicing her 'ballet' for the next ball, but she has been trained to do this. It was obvious in her video journals how she constantly spoke about struggling with her 'joyful contentment til God chooses to bring her a godly Prince Charming.' It reminded me of a much younger girl, not a twenty-something but instead more of a ten year old. 

Both her brothers in law are involved in the Military. Something I find quite surprising as they ALMOST seem Duggarish, but at the same time they are allowed to wear pants, spaghetti-strapped gowns, and dance. Randy Wilson was once head of the FRC and gave what tours around Washington and gave 'right' information about the founding of our nation. 

Some of the creepiest parts of the film you will witness involve the younger Wilson children as Logan recieves a freakin sword, as if he were a rogue Viking heir instead of someone most likely destined to do nothing more than hang it above his bed. Oh and I forgot to mention he also gets a helmet too. THEATRICS!!

The real creep-factor begins with the younger daughter, who has just turned fourteen and is given a Hope chest. A concept I'm foreign with as all I recieved upon that age was my first cell phone. Apparently due to her becoming a woman, she must be sat on a stool and a leafy crown on her head. Weird enough? Oh we aren't done yet. Then ALL the family including the older brother's new wife, gather around and lay hands praying that her womb would be open when the time comes to recieve all that 'godly seed'. 

You also get to see them go to a large Homeschool conference and I believe I spotted The Maxwells in the background. If you have about an hour and a half to kill and want to watch this like a train wreck? I reccomend it. It honestly was fascinating to watch some of their struggles, such as when they Skype with Krystian and you can tell she is quite lonely since her guy is posted away on duty. 

The etiquette stuff is no surprise to me as that's pretty par for the course in etiquette and deportment books, but everything else is WEIRD. If I get a spare moment I will try to get my hands on this. It sounds divinely beyond strange.

I think I may have seen this. The sword and hot mess ballet around the cross stands out to me. Was there another family with an older daughter who broke her purity vow?

On 5/16/2016 at 9:36 PM, Geechee Girl said:

I think I may have seen this. The sword and hot mess ballet around the cross stands out to me. Was there another family with an older daughter who broke her purity vow?

The one you probably have seen is by the BBC I believe and involves the same family and others like minded, entitled The Virgin Daughters. The girl who broke her pledge ended up pregnant and after she miscarried she kinda ditched most of her fundy life. Heck she was even Ms. Colorado in 2005. I believe her name was Jessica.

Anyways, this documentary focuses more on the Wilsons and everything that goes on in their family.

Has anyone seen "A Courtship"?  I just downloaded it to watch when I'm on a flight next week. This is the synopsis:

"Kelly is following Christian Courtship - saving herself for marriage and relying on her parents and God to find her husband. But Kelly’s own parents think courtship is crazy, so she finds "spiritual parents" to search for her spouse."

13 hours ago, Caribou said:

Has anyone seen "A Courtship"?  I just downloaded it to watch when I'm on a flight next week. This is the synopsis:

"Kelly is following Christian Courtship - saving herself for marriage and relying on her parents and God to find her husband. But Kelly’s own parents think courtship is crazy, so she finds "spiritual parents" to search for her spouse."

I'm tempted to rent it from Google play. And once again I saw that stupid book The Princess and the Kiss being touted once more and MORE ballet. Man fundies really do worship ballet don't they?

I don't get their obsession with ballet either. Almost everything about ballet is defrauding. The barre exercises are not for the modest. No way they would be okay with a pas de deux with a boy. :pearlclutching:

48 minutes ago, Geechee Girl said:

I don't get their obsession with ballet either. Almost everything about ballet is defrauding. The barre exercises are not for the modest. No way they would be okay with a pas de deux with a boy. :pearlclutching:

I think its the image. Remember the early 1900's paintings. All the ballerinas looked very feminine and full of grace. I think its an idolizing of that honestly. Sort of like how the Botkinettes use those old pictures of rich families from the 19th century of girls reading, painting, sewing, and adoringly stairing at their father.. they idolize that time era, but don't seem to realize if they were poor women had to work too even in that 'godly' era. Infact most of those women were the hardest workers.

• 1 month later...
On 6/7/2012 at 9:10 AM, SisiL78 said:

That comment made me re-watch. I didn't see that the first time. Ya, that's modest?

What was with the photo of the back of a guy in fatigues (or something) and a woman in a ballerina outfit with her leg stuck straight up in the air. Was that their wedding photo or something? It was unusual and not very modest imho. But they make their own rules, we're just supposed to do as they say not as they do.

I read an article about this with that picture it's actually a girl and her dad in that photo not her husband !

On 5/17/2016 at 6:05 AM, Caribou said:

Did you end up watching it? What did you think of it?  I'm really curious to know how this movie is. I'm really thinking of getting it for myself. I love documentaries about fundies :bigsmile:

13 minutes ago, IreneIssh said:

Did you end up watching it? What did you think of it?  I'm really curious to know how this movie is. I'm really thinking of getting it for myself. I love documentaries about fundies :bigsmile:

Yes! It's very interesting - also frustrating, infuriating and rather sad. I'd definitely recommend it.

• 8 months later...

Just wondering if anyone knows how I can watch the Virgin Tales documentary? I can't find it anywhere online

• 6 months later...
On 5/14/2016 at 10:14 PM, PartriarchydefyinValkarie said:

The real creep-factor begins with the younger daughter, who has just turned fourteen and is given a Hope chest. A concept I'm foreign with as all I recieved upon that age was my first cell phone.

Hope chests were a thing a hundred years ago, and also in mid-2000s fundy culture. It's a wooden chest in which you place things for your future home. I knew many young women who would embroider tablecloth + napkin sets, or crochet doilies or whatever to put in their hope chests. It was hugely part of VF -- DPIAT sold several different styles in his catalog, and IIRC the cheapest was about $350-400. It was a very tangible reminder of your purpose as a Future Wife. 

Archived