IGNORED

New Gender Reveal Party Trend

roddma

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess people can do what they want, but I find gender (sex) reveal parties and announcements so tacky. You already have a baby shower and the birth of the baby to get assloads of free shit and attention; why are you having yet another party?
And if it's just an announcement, whoop-de-freakin' doo, your baby has genitals.

First of all: guns. Really? I don't know what else to say. 

Second of all: I'm unfortunately attending a gender reveal party soon and have no idea what to bring. Do you bring gifts or what? I've never been to one. All of the baby showers I've attended I've known the sex of the baby so I usually buy a few cute outfits and some practical things like diapers. I don't want to be cheap but I'm a little sad that I apparently will have to buy many things for this kid before it's even born haha

I always considered gender reveal parties to be a good opportunity to host a dinner and get the family/friends together. No gifts necessary. Perhaps it would be better and cheaper to combine gender reveal parties and baby showers for one huge party.

11 minutes ago, season of life said:

I always considered gender reveal parties to be a good opportunity to host a dinner and get the family/friends together. No gifts necessary. Perhaps it would be better and cheaper to combine gender reveal parties and baby showers for one huge party.

I think that would be so much easier!!  

I know I'm going to sound picky, but I get annoyed that people call them gender reveal parties instead of sex reveal parties. 

11 minutes ago, MyMilkshake said:

I know I'm going to sound picky, but I get annoyed that people call them gender reveal parties instead of sex reveal parties. 

Relevant: http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2016/05/gender_reveal_celebrations_for_babies_help_explain_transphobia.html

In fact, the gender-reveal phenomenon pulls off a rousing counter-progressive two-for-one: weapons-grade reinforcement of oppressive gender norms (sorry, feminists!) and blunt-force refusal of the idea that sex assigned at birth does not necessarily equate with gender identity (sorry, trans-rights movement!).

My family isn't patient enough to to keep the sex of babies a secret for a party.

Gender norms was the word I was trying to come up with. Im for responsible gun ownership, but associating them with  a baby party-not. If there are years between kids, a shower or reveal among close family/friends would be OK. My BIL wife had a shower for the almost 12 yr old twins because it had been almost ten years since the last kid. Baby stuff can get outdated.And so did my cousin.However, it seems a little much when there's less than three years between kids.

Sex reveals are so DUMB. I mean, who cares? And why does it matter if the baby has a penis or a vagina? (and what if there is some intersex going on?) I mean, way to reinforce gender stereotypes. Girls can wear blue! Boys can wear pink dresses! It's fine, who cares? 

Thank God they aren't a thing in Britain. Unfortunately, though, I bet it'll start becoming a thing. Proms are becoming big business over here. People love to bemoan how we're becoming the 51st state. They're overreacting, but we are importing a LOT of americanisms. 

4 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Thank God they aren't a thing in Britain. Unfortunately, though, I bet it'll start becoming a thing. Proms are becoming big business over here. People love to bemoan how we're becoming the 51st state. They're overreacting, but we are importing a LOT of americanisms. 

I was hoping you guys would take us back, because clearly we weren't ready for independence. Just tax us fairly this time. Deal?

30 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Sex reveals are so DUMB. I mean, who cares? And why does it matter if the baby has a penis or a vagina? (and what if there is some intersex going on?) I mean, way to reinforce gender stereotypes. Girls can wear blue! Boys can wear pink dresses! It's fine, who cares? 

I'm a woman and I've never been a fan of the colour pink and I detest glitter. lol 

47 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I was hoping you guys would take us back, because clearly we weren't ready for independence. Just tax us fairly this time. Deal?

Its not us taking you back, it's us becoming part of you. See it as revenge if you will. :pb_lol:

45 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Its not us taking you back, it's us becoming part of you. See it as revenge if you will. :pb_lol:

What I meant was it's unfortunate you're becoming part of us instead of taking us back! Help, we need an adult! :pb_lol:We can't have a Trump presidency. It's like when kids are out on their own for the first time and do tons of stupid things because they don't have a parent holding them accountable!

Ugh. "Gender reveal parties" are so annoying. I had a friend beg to throw me one with my third kid. I refused. I also won't attend. I just cant I have been invited to a lot and I just...just no. I love a good party and a chance to socialize, but nope. Not doing it. 

Also, a friend of mine recently shared pics of her gender reveal party. All the guys got together and agreed to wear blue. Because "blue is for girls" and when they were right with their defiant "guess" the mom to be said "Just look at all that testosterone? how could it not be a boy?" With a photo of all the guys in blue. 

Because, duh, wearing blue made the inside of the cake blue and made sure your baby grew a penis. 

This nonsense has spread to my extended family. My niece (19) married in Jan, and has a honeymoon baby on the way. She had a gender reveal party last month. I find it tacky to have another gifting occasion before the wedding thank you notes have been sent out. The first baby shower is in July. Plus, they're having professional baby bump pictures made. I blame Pinterest for all this. 

5 minutes ago, Geechee Girl said:

I blame Pinterest for all this. 

I was JUST going to write this.

I LOVE Pinterest, but it's really taken things to a whole new level of homemade, artisanal cray cray.

Why not wait until the shower to reveal gender? It makes me long for the days you had to wait and get surprised.

I found out with both my babies at the 20 week ultrasound.  I simply just told people.  No big announcement.  No party.  If someone asked if I knew the sex, I'd tell them.  Otherwise, I didn't talk about it.  No one wants to hear endless chatter about your fetus and people really don't want to have to spend both time and money just to hear you announce the sex like it's the most important piece of news they'll hear all year.  Other than the parents and their immediate family, no one really cares.

Speaking of baby parties I'd like to get ya'lls opinon on this. Oh and I agree gender reveals are silly..

"Mah baby has a penis!!!" :wow:

Friend of mine from middle school is pregnant again, first was a boy now its a girI, is having another shower considered tacky since she allready had one with her son? I've heard of merely having a sprinkle, but she's even registered at Target? I personally don't know if I really want to go much less bring a gift.

Guns or Glitter that's classy, I meant klassy. (shame on me for using the correct spelling).  :Where-in-the-world-is-matt-:

My cousin-in-law recently had a "ruffles or rifles" gender reveal party. I had no idea that baby blue plastic guns were a thing, but she had them everywhere. To represent the ruffles, she had humongous pink fake flowers. I thought it was a bit tacky, but I like her so I just ooohed and ahhhed my way out of actually having to compliment the decor with words. They announced the sex by cutting into the now traditional colored cake--it was pink inside. The icing was decorated with guns, flowers and question marks. 

As for gifts, we were encouraged to bring something to pamper the mother-to-be. I just brought a gift card so they could enjoy a dinner out. 

It was actually a fairly nice afternoon with happy friends and family. The huge production of it, though, was a little much since we will be having a nearly identical get-together in a couple of months for her shower. 

FJ was on my mind that whole afternoon because my eyes kept reading rifles and ruffles as "riffles". Everywhere I looked there were so, so many riffles.

17 minutes ago, CrazyCatLady said:

Next stop baby name reveal parties.

I wouldn't be surprised if that became a thing. Bin & Jessa had their humpers salivating with anticipation. Besides the magazine publicity, they could've had a party planned by Sierra.

Archived