IGNORED

Rocco and bone cancer

Gossamer1

Sadie's great lament is that I have to keep her weight down and now she doesn't get as many treats. She really doesn't seem to care too much. I've been really lucky in terms of her recovery, in that there haven't been too many issues.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Gossamer1, the receptionist at my vet's office works the front desk on weekends at the emergency clinic.  I recall one day when I'd taken a one of the cats in (or was it one of the dogs?) and she was talking to an older couple that had a cat in kidney failure.  The poor kitty would need to be given fluids over the weekend to survive at the e-vets so Angie got a bag of the requisite fluid (Ringer's lactate?) and gave it to the couple to bring to the emergency clinic with them thus saving them a bit of money.  I thought that was so nice of her to do that.  She could tell that the money was a bit of an issue.

9 hours ago, Terrie said:

Sadie's great lament is that I have to keep her weight down and now she doesn't get as many treats. She really doesn't seem to care too much. I've been really lucky in terms of her recovery, in that there haven't been too many issues.

I understand how Sadie feels...

I don't know how she feels about veggies, but carrots and green beans are good snacks that tend to not add any weight on dogs (or humans...) Hot air popped popcorn with no oil is also a winner. My Dalmatian had serious health issues and those three things were the only treats she could have.

I just read this story on Unworthy about an elephant in Thailand that stepped on a landmine near the Thailand/Laos border and lost her right front leg.  A surgeon in Thailand noticed that the elephant was using her trunk to help her balance and has fitted Mosha with a prostheses.   There's a video with the story and it's really awesome to see.

Mosha's prosthetic leg

ETA: There's a linked video at the end of the video about Mosha about Dog Mountain in St Johnsbury, Vermont.  I've been to Dog Mountain and it's really cool!  "All breeds. All creeds. No Dogmas allowed."

• 2 weeks later...

Rocco had his second chemo treatment today. His blood work is all still in the normal range! He's also put 2.5 lbs back on and currently weighs 120lbs. The oncologist is very impressed with how well Rocco is doing post surgery and asked if I would be willing to talk with other pet parents about life with an amputee dog.

My next door neighbors had a party on Sunday. When everyone was done eating I brought Rocco over and he was a big hit! A surprising number of people didn't even notice that he was missing a leg. He thrived on all the attention. 

@Gossamer1 I'm glad to read that Rocco is doing so well! I bet he enjoyed the party -- if he's like my boy, he thought the party was for him!

Sophie and Rocco had their first real wrestling match just now! This is a really big deal since they hadn't wrestled since his biopsy almost 2 months ago. Sophie didn't go easy on him either. She wins all matches because she is the boss of him but she made him earn his loss.

• 3 weeks later...

Chemo treatment number three was done this afternoon! All his blood work is mostly in the normal range. There were two values out of the normal range but the doctor said they weren't a concern since Rocco isn't anemic. He has even put on a pound since his last visit, he is a healthy 121 lbs.

Rocco has had a few accidents in the house and the doc suggested I get Rx Clay. He hasn't experienced any vomiting and his appetite is fine but his stool is a little loose. The clay should help.

20160729_215235.jpg

Glad to hear he's doing so well!

20 hours ago, CrazyCatLady said:

I just want to hug him!

Not only does he tolerate being hugged, he actually likes it! He will seek out hugs from certain people. He will put his head on their shoulder and stay there wrapped in their arms until they tell me they can't breath anymore, then I make him get down.

@Gossamer1, the only way my dachshund can put her head on my shoulders is if I'm sitting on the sofa and she's sitting on the back.  The back of the couch is one of her favorite places to sit.  

I just found this thread, big hugs to Rocco! He is a very handsome fella!

My mom's dog is at the vet right now getting her chemo treatment for lymphoma. She's on week 4, I think. It's a rollercoaster of emotions, that's for sure.

Rocco is lucky to have you, and you definitely deserve that lottery win!

23 hours ago, Gossamer1 said:

Not only does he tolerate being hugged, he actually likes it! He will seek out hugs from certain people. He will put his head on their shoulder and stay there wrapped in their arms until they tell me they can't breath anymore, then I make him get down.

Rocco sounds so sweet. I have really enjoyed following his recovery. He has a great family!

Rocco is a champion - with a nose I dearly want to kiss.  I am so glad he is doing so well.

Go Rocco!

And Rocco is very fortunate in his owner. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Chemo number four is done! All his blood levels are in the normal range, including the two that were off last month. His weight is 123lbs now. They also did chest x-rays to see how he's doing.  

THE CANCER HAS NOT SPREAD!!!:Yes:

The final round of chemo is next month and then we discuss ongoing treatment.  The doctor suggested a micro dose of chemo via pills at home. 

Well done, Rocco! :happy-cheerleadersmileyguy:

And well done to you and his vets too!

@Gossamer1 I'm so happy Rocco has responded well. Give him a big hug for me!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived