IGNORED

Rocco and bone cancer

Gossamer1

@church_of_dog,  I think I've known with the last few dogs and cats we've had where I had to make the decision.  The only dog I was haunted by that question was my GSD who had a cerebral accident (a stroke?)  one day and was down in his hindquarters.  He couldn't walk and the vet said he was also showing some CNS affects.  We chose to have him put down.  If he could have recovered (and that's big IF), he would have months of rehab ahead of him.  I didn't think that was fair to poor Bosco.  My daughter did have a dog with idiopathic neuropathy, though, and her dog did have a partial recovery.  What Iris went through did make me question my decision with Bosco just a bit.  My only real regret with Bosco is that we didn't pay to get his ashes back but had the crematory scatter them in a mountain field.

Our other pets have had cancer (stomach, oral, and lung) or end stage kidney disease and it was much easier to make the decision.  We either needed to end their pain or just realize that, with my beloved Lucy, she was just at the end of her life.  The failure of her kidneys was causing her distress and she didn't want to eat.  She was telling me that it was time.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

I didn't realize vets don't like that question.  I think it's the best way to get a straight answer,

So do I.  Your regular vets who know you well are much more likely to answer honestly, IME.

Some of them dodge the question - especially at the big vet training hospitals when they don't know you well.  They just repeat the options again and again - they may be forbidden to answer for all I know.  This happened to us at a major teaching hospital a few years ago - grey with visceral hemangiosarcoma - AKA "the silent killer."  She was only obviously sick for a couple of weeks  but her spleen was destroyed by the time we got the dx. She was only 7.  The options were:  surgery, chemo and radiation (possibly buying her about 6 - 10 weeks); take her home with palliative care only, but be prepared for her to bleed out any second; and let her go.  She was utterly zonked on pain meds and still in pain when we made the decision to let her go right away.  It was a QOL decision.

The Vet told us afterwards that he was relieved we made the "right" decision because the pain was not controllable and that is what he would have done.  I wished he'd told us before when I had asked.  We use another Animal Hospital these days.   

When Luna's (in my avatar) time came, it started when she tore a knee ligament at age 12.  She had this same thing a few years earlier on the other hind leg, and we did the surgery and she recovered pretty well but still had a small limp because that knee had no meniscus left.  Fast forward a few years and the other knee tore.  When I went to get her tested prior to surgery, her kidney levels were too out of whack to operate, and they diagnosed Cushing's disease. We treated for that for several weeks, during which time she was not very mobile because of one bad knee and the other one not able to handle 100% of her load.  Fortunately it was mostly pleasant weather and she just stayed out on the lawn.  I wanted her inside with me so much and I know she wanted to come in too, but she couldn't go up the steps (or even the ramp) and I couldn't carry her (and wouldn't have wanted to cause her pain anyway).  

She wasn't improving much on the Cushing's (which I know is normally treatable) and then she stopped eating.  That was supposedly a side effect of the Cushing's medication, so we backed off on that medication and she still didn't resume eating.  That's when I knew it was time, and of course if I'd had a crystal ball I would have let her go a month or so sooner just to avoid the pain that we were hoping was temporary.  The vet came to my house and sat with her on the lawn.  He said he had the suspicion that there was something else going on at the same time, maybe a cancer, which affected why her appetite didn't respond to the reduction of medication.  Hearing that helped me feel better that it was time, too many things were hitting all at once and not reversible.  She was a lab mix and in theory could have had a few years beyond 12, but not many.  That also helped with the decision.

When I decided to let Marble's predecessor go, it was probably one of the top three hardest decisions I have ever made.  We love these critters; we put up with their crap and vomit and antics; they bring us such joy and love everyday.  I felt like I was playing "God" and did not re-dog for three years afterwards... I felt like I was "cheating" on the former pet by bringing in a new one.

I healed and now ..... I have a new love.

But that pain, that pain!  What a gash into the soul.

Good thoughts to anyone in that situation.  And a hug  :)

I received the official diagnosis today. I was sure it was cancer so it's not really a surprise but, I guess I was hoping for a miracle.

His amputation surgery is still on schedule for Thursday.  I'll be bringing him home Saturday. I asked the vet about giving him Tramadol after surgery instead of the Fentanyl patch. He was a big 'ol ball of anxiety by Sunday on the patch. He started to return to his old self within just a few hours of removing the patch.  She said at least a couple of days on the patch and then we could switch him to the Tramadol. 

I'm so sorry, even though I know you were expecting this.

I'll be thinking of you and hoping all goes well on Thursday.  Did they say how soon you could see him after surgery and whether they are OK with visits?

9 hours ago, Gossamer1 said:

I received the official diagnosis today. I was sure it was cancer so it's not really a surprise but, I guess I was hoping for a miracle.

His amputation surgery is still on schedule for Thursday.  I'll be bringing him home Saturday. I asked the vet about giving him Tramadol after surgery instead of the Fentanyl patch. He was a big 'ol ball of anxiety by Sunday on the patch. He started to return to his old self within just a few hours of removing the patch.  She said at least a couple of days on the patch and then we could switch him to the Tramadol. 

I'm sorry for the official DX. It's never easy to hear, even if you know it. I do agree with @Palimpsest to have a serious talk with the vet. You are Rocco's voice (well, except when he's howling from Fentanyl) and you have to do what you think is right for him. Many vets don't like being put on the spot with the "what would YOU do" question, but it's a fair one, especially if it's your long-term vet. I'm glad your vet has agreed to Tramadol after removing the Fentanyl.

I'll be keeping Rocco in my thoughts for a safe surgery and an uneventful recovery.

Rocco had his surgery today. There were no surprises or problems! He is awake and resting at the animal hospital. He has a catheter for now so he won't try to get up yet. Tomorrow they will get him up and moving around.

I've been on the fence about visiting him. I feel it would be more upsetting to him to have me show up and then leave him there instead of waiting a day and be abe to bring him home. 

He was out in the yard last night when a friend stopped by. He went charging across the yard to get to her (she is his second favorite human) and he did it on 3 legs. That was the most encouraging thing I've seen since this all started. I was unsure about how he would do on three legs, now I feel much more confident that he will be my happy, goofy boy again.

Thank you for all your kind words and prayers!

I was just checking in to see if there was any news of Rocco.  Thank you for the update @Gossamer1.

I'm so glad the surgery went well and there were no problems.  Go Rocco!  

I know what you mean about visiting.  Sometimes it just upsets them and you know your dog best.  Yes, it is surprising how well they do on 3 legs.  Watch Mystic run here - she is the faun greyhound in this video - 

Here's hoping that Rocco comes home tomorrow and makes a great recovery.  

Please keep us updated and yell if you need us!

Checking for another update on Rocco.  I hope all is still going well @Gossamer1.

34 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Checking for another update on Rocco.  I hope all is still going well @Gossamer1.

Yes! I spoke to the hospital just before I came home for lunch.  He is up and walking on his own already! :Yes:

The tech who checked him in gave me the update. When she came in this morning he was already standing up waiting for someone to pay attention to him! 

I am beyond relieved that this has gone as well as it has so far. I am feeling much more hopeful now. 

He will be coming home tomorrow around noon.

Yay!  I'm so glad he's doing well.  That is wonderful news!

How is Sophie doing without him?  I hope she's not missing him.

4 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Yay!  I'm so glad he's doing well.  That is wonderful news!

How is Sophie doing without him?  I hope she's not missing him.

She seems pretty content to have me all to herself!

That is very sweet.  I hope Sophie enjoys herself with sole ownership.:)

I have to say that my boys were adrift both when Miss P was in hospital and after we let her go.  They kept looking around to ask her permission to lie on a bed.  She owned all the dog beds and just let them borrow them.

They are doing well today - even though Boss Lady is no longer with us.   Mr C is now Boss Man, but it took a couple of weeks.

Sophie will willingly share her food and water bowls, her toys and 3 of the 4 dog beds in the house with Rocco, previous fosters and any doggie houseguests we've had . The dog bed right next to my side of the bed is hers and hers alone.  If another dog gets in her bed she will come get me to remove the intruder. I think she is testing me. 

Rocco is home!!!!!:dance:

He hated the ramps in my friend's SUV but everything went off without a hitch. He walked and went up the stairs like he had always done it on just three legs. First rounds of meds have been given and he's taking a well deserved nap now.

I still have Sophie and Rocco separated. Maybe later today I will have them hang together for a while.

I'm so glad he's home!  It's amazing how they compensate so quickly.  Honestly, I think that dogs really have 3 legs - and a spare. :)

Please keep us posted.

Oh, thank you so much for the picture!  Rocco is a very brave boy and look at him standing there.  What a trouper!

And there's 1,002 for your rep!   Well deserved.

(It is pure coincidence when I hit a round number (or 666) on reputation although I always try to be generous. :))

@Gossamer1 Thank you for the picture of your handsome boy! He looks great. I'm so glad the surgery went well and hope his recovery is rapid and uneventful.

He is doing well today. He fell a couple of times when we were outside for potty breaks today but is getting around great in the house, even on the tile in the kitchen.

Sophie has been mostly ignoring him. She came to check on him when he cried earlier today (just before medication time.) The pictures are from the first time she wanted to hang out near him since he came home.

20160522_175315.jpg

20160522_175300.jpg

Aww, I like the pictures of Rocco and Sophie! Thank you for sharing!

Archived