IGNORED

OMG, possible fundie in my backyard! Worth going?

samira_catlover

Did any of the other attendees talk to you afterwards and invite you to their church?  Did you practice your passive baby voice in anticipation of this?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JMarie said:

Did any of the other attendees talk to you afterwards and invite you to their church?  Did you practice your passive baby voice in anticipation of this?

And were there any single men there eyeing you up? 

15 hours ago, gibbsgirls said:

Hey Everyone,

@samira_catlover and I have returned from listening to this blowhard. It is late, and I am tired from listening to Dr. Anderson's drivel. First off he talks faster then anyone I know, so it was tough keeping up with my notes.  Plus, had so many rabbit trails and tangents that, I don't think, there was a ever a complete, concise thought.

There were  38 people in attendance that included 1 child; 2 teens; 1 pastor; 6 visitors (3 being men from a local Roman Catholic parish; I thought the pastor's eyes were going to bug out when they introduced themselves.)

Before Russell Anderson spoke, the pastor of the church lead us in singing, prayer and gave some brief announcements. One of which was sermon topic for the next few Sundays - Baptist History - It's Bloody History.  He stated (his words, not mine) that the Baptists were the only denomination to be hunted down, beaten and killed because of their beliefs.  OMFG! I almost stood up and said, "Bull shit!" and walked out. But as a subservient woman without my headship accompanying me, I kept my mouth shut.

@samira_catloverMy first impression of RA was that he likes to hear himself talk and likes to pat himself on the back. If he said, "I'm just an uneducated coal miner, but with the mind of Christ," once, he said it a dozen times. Also, "I have a business mind," quite a bit. Oy.

That seems to be the case with a lot of fundies - they have a deep, longstanding love affair with the sound of their own voices.

Your mention of how there were a few Catholics in the crowd reminded me of something.  Back in the 19th century there was a frontier priest here in the upper Midwest by the name of Samuel Charles Mazzuchelli.  One time there was a minister from another denomination who absolutely hated the Catholic Church and gave a series of six hour lectures on everything that he saw as being wrong with the Roman Catholic Church.  Upon learning of this Fr. Mazzuchelli invited the whole town to come attend the lectures with him and his replies the following Sundays.  Many Catholics around here still think the absolute world of Mazzuchelli over 150 years after his death and hope he's eventually canonized. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Charles_Mazzuchelli)

And what the fuck was that pastor of that church smoking to claim that Baptists were the only denomination in history to have violence done against them for their beliefs? 

3 hours ago, JMarie said:

A few people spoke to us before and after the service. Just the typical introductions, "how did you like the message?" and "please come back and visit again."  I wanted to bring in my WaWa coffee and asked a lady who had greeted me if it was allowed. She asked me if it was decaffeinated. When I told her, 'No, matter of fact, it's extra caffeinated," she nodded and said, "Just don't tell anyone."  I think she was serious.

The pastor did single me out at one point and said he liked the way I was enjoying singing the hymns. (I used to be fundy to fundy-lite and know the songs by heart. Guess I'm still used to putting on the fake smile.)

@polecat - I think there were several single men there, but they wouldn't be eyeing me or chatting me up one bit.  I'm a fairly plump, upper middle age woman (who was wearing pants, btw.) I didn't show any cleavage though (tough time finding something in the wardrobe that wouldn't).  But, I was wearing my hair down with a big ol' Sarah Maxwell-esque flower headband. Nobody was attracted to that. haha

35 minutes ago, gibbsgirls said:

A few people spoke to us before and after the service. Just the typical introductions, "how did you like the message?" and "please come back and visit again."  I wanted to bring in my WaWa coffee and asked a lady who had greeted me if it was allowed. She asked me if it was decaffeinated. When I told her, 'No, matter of fact, it's extra caffeinated," she nodded and said, "Just don't tell anyone."  I think she was serious.

The pastor did single me out at one point and said he liked the way I was enjoying singing the hymns. (I used to be fundy to fundy-lite and know the songs by heart. Guess I'm still used to putting on the fake smile.)

@polecat - I think there were several single men there, but they wouldn't be eyeing me or chatting me up one bit.  I'm a fairly plump, upper middle age woman (who was wearing pants, btw.) I didn't show any cleavage though (tough time finding something in the wardrobe that wouldn't).  But, I was wearing my hair down with a big ol' Sarah Maxwell-esque flower headband. Nobody was attracted to that. haha

I would have put a shot of something in that Wawa coffee!

Is Jack Schapp in prison now? Perhaps the writers of the SVU episode used his story for inspiration as well as the Duggars.

Jack Schaap is serving a 12 year sentence in federal prison for transporting a minor across state lines for the purpose of sexual activity. He was prosecuted by a female federal prosecutor. His (now former) wife divorced him.

@47of74, anyone who claims that Baptists are the only denomination to face discrimination know nothing about the French Wars of Religion, the Thirty Year's War or the sectarian conflict in Northern Ireland, do they?  Weren't the Know-nothings anti-Catholic?

58 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@47of74, anyone who claims that Baptists are the only denomination to face discrimination know nothing about the French Wars of Religion, the Thirty Year's War or the sectarian conflict in Northern Ireland, do they?  Weren't the Know-nothings anti-Catholic?

Yes the Know-Nothings were not only anti-Catholic but anti-foreigner as well.

In addition to the things you mentioned there was also the riots in Philadelphia where natvist scum attacked Catholic churches and institutions - including convents.  (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_nativist_riots).  Part of the reason the Midwest has a large Catholic population was that Catholic leadership reached out to immigrants to settle in the Midwest, away from the fuckhead segment of the population out east that burned churches and convents. 

Or the Klan, which after African Americans put the Catholic church near the top of their hate list.  And if that idiot pastor is tempted to argue the point I'd bring up the murder of Catholic priest James Coyle by the Ku Klux Klan (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Coyle)

A lot of the Catholics here in Iowa back when Lincoln became President weren't too comfortable with him or the Republican party because all the Natvist/Know Nothing elements that made up the party.  Now of course too many Catholics are in bed with these anti immigrant people.  They treat immigrants and people of other religions with the same contempt that their own ancestors were treated with.

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

FWIW, I damned near strangled on my own saliva on hearing that in the service, because around here we are sorta-kinda-knee-deep in Amish/Mennonite/Plain Folk, and I kept remembering the Martyr's Mirror. 

Not to mention the Jehovah's Witnesses who died in German concentration camps during World War II because they WOULD not pledge to a flag---any flag!---and the Quakers who got whipped out of New England, and the Catholic martyrs under Henry VIII of England (you know, Olde Pudding Face, who kept on chopping and changing), AND the English Protestants under Mary Tudor, and the US Mormons who died at Nauvoo, Illinois, and my Swedish ancestors who ran like hell to America, the glorious land of freedom (where they let you ELECT your pastors!!!--IMAGINE!!!! no official state church!!!!!!!!!!!!eleventy!--and no one CARED if you had prayer meetings in your houses).

Plus a few COs-for-religious-reasons in the USA who opposed WWI, and who went to Leavenworth---and some came out as corpses, because Not Weal and Twoo0 Amurican Patriots. Plus the Bahai in several lands, and the Jews in I-don't-know-HOW-many-countries-and eras, and I'll consider throwing in a whole lot of First Peoples in North America (Native Americans and Innuit), who got hauled off to (frequently-religiously) based schools to teach them how to be Pwoperly CIVILIZED (e.g., Sorta Kinda Whitish, or at least Not Reared by Wolves, and Definitely Christian), and we can try to forget your Dubious NonWhite NonAbrahamic Spiritual Heritage.

@polecat: Single men would have had to be wayyyyy desperate, since I'm late 50ish, curvy, post-menopausal, and WAYYYYY mouthy. @JMarie: When I work on it, can stop a mob in full cry with twenty full-voiced, deep-chested syllables. Baby voice?--everything that COULD run away from me did so months ago!

I will admit that folks seemed very cordial and inviting---but I honestly suspect that if they knew I was a renegade who hung out with Scary Peeps like Pagans and non-Christians, there'd have been a major "CONVERT!" mode switched on.  Which is actually quite a shame, because I'd have welcomed a chance to sit down with a pot of coffee and cheerfully pick brains, in terms of "OK, just how does this make your life BETTER, and how is it universal?"

This mode was wayyy standard when I was involved in an ecumenical group, but from what I've been reading about Indy Baptists, is likely to go way KLONK up against the separationist concepts.

Archived