IGNORED

Nathan (WAS) Courting Ashley (pt. 2)

SpoonfulOSugar

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

CouldINathan possibly be moving out of t he house for a job?don't he the one learning to fly? 

On the show he said he wad learning to fly to help with missions i believe. I thought he helped Gil in the tree business. Good for him if he got another job.I dont see how Gil's business could support 2 families, maybe he's going into missionary work full time?

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Nashville92 said:

On the show he said he wad learning to fly to help with missions i believe. I thought he helped Gil in the tree business. Good for him if he got another job.I dont see how Gil's business could support 2 families, maybe he's going into missionary work full time?

I don't even know if the tree business is still up and running at this point. Some have said it's not, but I haven't seen anything super official.

I wonder if he'll be a real missionary or a grifting DerJill/John Schrader type grifter.

18 hours ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

I don't even know if the tree business is still up and running at this point. Some have said it's not, but I haven't seen anything super official.

I wonder if he'll be a real missionary or a grifting DerJill/John Schrader type grifter.

What people have said here is that the Facebook page for the Bates Tree Service is completely neglected and questions there go unanswered.  The webpage* has also been taken down in the last few months.  There is a phone number listed in the yellow pages so perhaps they are still working on inefficiently demolishing trees.  They certainly don't seem to be promoting the business.  The Facebook page is easy enough to find so you can check it out for yourself.

*Click on the dead link to the Tree Service webpage on Facebook at your own risk.  I got one of those fake malware virus infection warnings last time I clicked it.

Nathan will almost certainly be a Dillard type missionary - that is really all IBLP folk know how to do.   Shrader is a class of his own.  He's seriously the best grifter and worst missionary anywhere. :)

Thanks for clarifying, @Palimpsest! My only knowledge of it was from vague references in other topics and wasn't sure where to look myself. If I find the FB page, I'll be sure not to click the URL. Completely off topic but related to what you mentioned, but I think there's a special place in hell for people that feel the need to make malware and computer viruses :5624796c41285_DastardlyEviledevil:

8 minutes ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

Thanks for clarifying, @Palimpsest! My only knowledge of it was from vague references in other topics and wasn't sure where to look myself. If I find the FB page, I'll be sure not to click the URL. Completely off topic but related to what you mentioned, but I think there's a special place in hell for people that feel the need to make malware and computer viruses :5624796c41285_DastardlyEviledevil:

You are very welcome and I agree about viruses.

I think the cat in your avatar just read a Shrader thread!  That kitty is adorable. :)

2 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

You are very welcome and I agree about viruses.

I think the cat in your avatar just read a Shrader thread!  That kitty is adorable. :)

Cats are my favorite animal. For my fantasy football team, I use the same picture for the icon - a cat wearing a football helmet. In choosing my FJ icon, I looked for something that would always show general shock and/or outrage at all the ridiculous shit fundies pull :lol:

54 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Nathan will almost certainly be a Dillard type missionary - that is really all IBLP folk know how to do.

Exactly. What real skills do these two young, uneducated, unskilled people have that are needed by another country? So they will be Dillard missionaries. 

As far as the tree business fb page.  My uncle does restoration work.  He has a FB page but rarely posts.  Most of his jobs come from word of mouth or are repeat clients.  THe only people who like his FB page are his friends and family.  In other words the page exists in name only.

As far as seeking out a manual labor job (landscaping/tree work, construction, etc) it would never occur to me to use Facebook.   While other businesses do well on FB, this does not seem to be the type too.  Many don't even have websites, or have very basic websites.  I sought out a landscaper for my mom once by taking a picture of the business name/logo/number on the landscaping company's truck. 

In my opinion, I believed that Lawson had a failed "get to know" person, which is probably why (1) UP covered up Lawson's announcement with a train noise,

@sunshine could you clarify when this happened? I don't remember it. Thanks!

2 hours ago, OrchidBlossom said:

The end of the season.

On 5/21/2016 at 5:24 PM, OrchidBlossom said:

This occurred during the episode of Dolly-wood. After Lawson finished singing, he was asked whether there was someone new or special. While he was talking, they played a train sound over his voice but I could make out a few of the words. Since then, there have been little slights to his failed relationship. He likes girls but they don't like him. Lawson is good at helping Nathan in a relationship but not his. So on and so forth. I think Lawson will do well with someone like Whitney.

5 minutes ago, sunshine said:

Lawson will do well with someone like Whitney.

I sure hope he doesn't convince some non-fundie girl to go fundie for him like Zach did with Whitney. 

8 minutes ago, sunshine said:

This occurred during the episode of Dolly-wood. After Lawson finished singing, he was asked whether there was someone new or special. While he was talking, they played a train sound over his voice but I could make out a few of the words. Since then, there have been little slights to his failed relationship. He likes girls but they don't like him. Lawson is good at helping Nathan in a relationship but not his. So on and so forth. I think Lawson will do well with someone like Whitney.

Thanks! I would prefer a reverse Whitney. Some sexy co-ed can convince Lawson to go liberal and embrace the life of a heathen. 

Though I pretty much find Lawson totally arrogant and annoying to watch... but any escape is a good escape.

15 hours ago, OrchidBlossom said:

Thanks! I would prefer a reverse Whitney. Some sexy co-ed can convince Lawson to go liberal and embrace the life of a heathen. 

Though I pretty much find Lawson totally arrogant and annoying to watch... but any escape is a good escape.

It would be fun but probably not realistic. I think him sneaking off and get a kiss or two from a pretty girl is very likely if it hasn't already happened but I think Lawson is pretty comfortable in the world he lives in. I do however think that his ideal girl is one that is still in the same life style as he but less conservative than him/his parents. I don't think he would mind at all a girl who wears pants, perhaps works and who has no intention of competing with his mom and dad when it comes to the number of children but that will not challenge his "bigger" beliefs that much. 

Is anyone else surprised that Ashley has received only 2 donations on her Jesus-Pizza-for-India fundraiser? (advertised at the top of her Instagram)? I thought some of the rabid leghumpers (the kind who drive all day to attend a Bates graduation picnic)  would at least pitch in $5

10 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Is anyone else surprised that Ashley has received only 2 donations on her Jesus-Pizza-for-India fundraiser? (advertised at the top of her Instagram)? I thought some of the rabid leghumpers (the kind who drive all day to attend a Bates graduation picnic)  would at least pitch in $5

Nope. Prior to the reveal of her relationship with Nathan, her previous fundraising produce similar results. Those asking about the status of her relationship on previous pics did not comment on that picture to encourage her to get donations or congratulating on going overseas for a good cause. They are just hunger for pic over the prospective relationship so they can get traffic to their website. I hope they never posts pictures.

If she's going to India, I really hope that she/her organization gets proper missionary visas. A lot of states in India have incredibly strict laws regarding proselytizing, which is not surprising considering 1) the rather ugly history of missionaries' role in colonialism in India and 2) issues with vulnerable people being coerced, duped, or violently forced to convert by religious groups (Hindu, Christian, and Muslim groups in India have all done this). And if I'm right about the region she's going to (Northeastern India), they've actually had outright genocidal Christian groups there who want to create a separate Christian state and do so by killing Hindus and adherents to traditional tribal beliefs. One of the larger churches allegedly financed these militants. So yeah, I'm not calling what she's doing an exactly "good" cause.

4 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

If she's going to India, I really hope that she/her organization gets proper missionary visas. A lot of states in India have incredibly strict laws regarding proselytizing, which is not surprising considering 1) the rather ugly history of missionaries' role in colonialism in India and 2) issues with vulnerable people being coerced, duped, or violently forced to convert by religious groups (Hindu, Christian, and Muslim groups in India have all done this). And if I'm right about the region she's going to (Northeastern India), they've actually had outright genocidal Christian groups there who want to create a separate Christian state and do so by killing Hindus and adherents to traditional tribal beliefs. One of the larger churches allegedly financed these militants. So yeah, I'm not calling what she's doing an exactly "good" cause.

I have no proof, but I really doubt that any of the fundy young adults who go on 1 or 2 week praycations to India get a "missionary visa"

7 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I have no proof, but I really doubt that any of the fundy young adults who go on 1 or 2 week praycations to India get a "missionary visa"

I think missionary visas are for long-term visits (ie Jill and Derick).

I think a regular passport (something I don't have) would be fine for a praycation.  But someone correct me if I'm wrong.

2 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I think missionary visas are for long-term visits (ie Jill and Derick).

I think a regular passport (something I don't have) would be fine for a praycation.  But someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm reading through the Indian Board of Immigration's FAQ. They're pretty emphatic that volunteer/NGO workers should not attempt to do that sort of work on a tourist visa. If she gets deported for violating the terms of her visa, I will feel little to no sympathy.

42 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I'm reading through the Indian Board of Immigration's FAQ. They're pretty emphatic that volunteer/NGO workers should not attempt to do that sort of work on a tourist visa. If she gets deported for violating the terms of her visa, I will feel little to no sympathy.

I'll feel no sympathy as well, also while I have a good laugh about it. I don't know why these people think their belief in God makes them above the laws of any country.

1 minute ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

I'll feel no sympathy as well, also while I have a good laugh about it. I don't know why these people think their belief in God makes them above the laws of any country.

It's OK to flagrantly flout any legal or moral restrictions on behavior as long as you ask Jesus to forgive you.

According to the Bates wiki, these two are engaged.

Consider the source.

18 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

According to the Bates wiki, these two are engaged.

Consider the source.

Courtship isn't the same as engagement, though? And maybe some weird fan saw all the pomp and circumstance that went into the courtship proposal and thought they were engaged?

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived