IGNORED

Nathan (WAS) Courting Ashley (pt. 2)

SpoonfulOSugar

1 hour ago, Shouldabeenacowboy said:

Yes! It really is like that high school boyfriend/girlfriend/crush that you are crazy about in your head, and then you come to your senses and realize that it was all BS and what was I thinking???

I know there are people who marry their HS sweetheart and have happy marriages/lives, I know a couple in real life and it can happen, but first, none of them had the fundie courtship nonsense, rather a normal relationship that grew over time, and secondly, the vast majority of people would probably not fall into the "married my HS sweetheart" camp anyway.

I have know a few people who married their high school sweetheart.  I also know a couple who went to HS (they were in my class) who got together a few years after school. 

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, MorningMist said:

I understand how heavily edited these shows can be but there's something about Nathan saying they are still going to be 'friends' that gives me the impression they are no longer courting.

For me, it's him referring to her as one of the best girls he's ever met...

Here're how I see it: A few years ago back when 19KAC was still on, I remember there was a preview for an episode that included Anna going "BAAAYYYBBEEEEEEZZZZZZ" in a crazy way with a crazy face. When the episode aired and we got to that part, Anna was discussing how she wasn't yet pregnant. The actual quote was something more along the lines of "I'm not like BAAAYYBEEEEEZZZ all the time. I'm content..." I'm obviously paraphrasing very badly, but it was just not the craziness TLC wanted us to think it was going to be. 

It's a teaser. They want people to tune in, so they throw in something that looks dramatic and juicy. Whether or not it actually ends up being anything interesting doesn't matter. You've already tuned in. They could be broken up, or Nathan could actually have said "Even if we do break up we'll still be friends" or "Even though she's my girlfriend, we can still be friends, too." We just can't know until the episode. 

On 6/26/2016 at 3:23 PM, Dr. Fundie Stalker said:

No just curious and I maintain a judges record, how they were appointed, background comes into play and one only needs to look at the Supreme Court in the States. There is no question concerning where fundamentally these judges stand. I am not as familiar with the lower courts of which Mr. Bates Sir was a part of, what type of cases he presided over primarily, etc... I don't know about Judge Bates District, record, anything I was just curious. 

I assume you are talking about "Papa Bill" Bates? He was a COUNTY magistrate judge in South Carolina. He is now retired.:

http://www.independentmail.com/features/honea-path-couple-their-son-featured-in-new-television-show-united-bates-of-america-ep-407868706-348324271.html

14 hours ago, actuallyjessica said:

It appears that is some clever editing. The bit where they don't show Nathan talking is the bit where he says "still gonna be friends"... this could've been taken from any old conversation. I'm curious to see how this plays out, personally, I'm gonna go with not broken up but reevaluating certain standards in their relationship.

(Bolding mine)

Like the perfectly appropriate front hugs & I love yous that any normal young couple would be engaging in. Maybe they are confessing to G & K that they feel "convicted" about these and will be changing to absolutely no touching.... 

1 hour ago, Mela99 said:

I haven't watched the last three episodes... worth it? 

Not really although the Nathan and Ashley talk looks promising.  I'm sure it'll just be another doozy though

I watched it and either they are good actors or there really is trouble. He looked miserable - like verge of tears. If that was an act I'm impressed. 

Aww, they really broke up. And he cried. This was way more sad than I anticipated. Poor guy, no matter their views a broken heart is a broken heart. 

Watching now. It's over. They've decided to end the relationship. Nathan's pretty upset - he's crying. So maybe they've altered their TV timeline in order to spare the two from airing any undue pain.

Well they're broken up.  He says they broke up on good terms.  However he sounds extremely upset and talks about how much he loves her.  Kelly Jo made it seem like he was almost distraught, crying and all

Just now, HRM1216 said:

Aww, they really broke up. And he cried. This was way more sad than I anticipated. Poor guy, no matter their views a broken heart is a broken heart. 

Just watched it. I felt so bad for him. But I can see how the two of them could be so different. I don't she would have been willing to move from New York to Tennessee. 

RIP Nate and Ashley.

I do think they broke up fairly recently. The Bateseseseses were wearing clothing more suited for spring/summer. I suspect this happened around Big Sandy, maybe just after. So, UP monkeyed with a timeline, since the last time we saw them last week, it was Valentine's Day. 

I find it so weird they were pictured together all the way through Memorial Day. Is there any chance there is a them "getting back together" storyline? It just seems so very cash-grabby a la the Bates if there was a breakup-get back together plot line. Their own little fundie rom-com.

15 minutes ago, HRM1216 said:

I find it so weird they were pictured together all the way through Memorial Day. Is there any chance there is a them "getting back together" storyline? It just seems so very cash-grabby a la the Bates if there was a breakup-get back together plot line. Their own little fundie rom-com.

I just looked up the middle Bates boys' birthdays. One has a birthday in mid-May. I guess he was the one in the bedroom when Nate walked in. So, the timeline of a late-April/early May breakup look to be spot on. 

eta: The last pics I remember of her with the Bateses were driving back to TN from Big Sandy somewhere in Georgia. But as I recall, she was with the girls. Her Insta is scrubbed of All Things Bates. Hmmm.....

And how could Kelly post the following last week knowing good and well that it was all over? Not cool at all...

Didn't someone a while back say that they didn't think Ashley, a New Yorker would want to live somewhere else? I guess they were right. 

They got me.  I didn't think they really broke up but they did.  Weren't there pictures of Nathan visiting with her family around Memorial Day?  Kinda confusing.

Yes, just looked and there's a post on the BatesFam Instagram from June 1st of him visiting with her and her family and they said it was for Memorial Day.

Yup, I totally missed that one! So the breakup is even MORE recent than we thought! And UP REALLY mokeyed with the timeline, given the next scene had boys chopping wood in light jackets with no leaves on the trees. 

eta: Note that they are NOT touching in ANY of those Memorial Day pictures. I wonder if the breakup happened too close to Memorial Day for them to get a refund on the plane tickets? I think they may well have already been done at this point. 

UP probably wanted to get it out of the way to save Nathan and Ashley's feelings. Well I hope that's why anyway.

JEEZ. Didn't she excitedly think he was going to propose during the courtship-osal episode? that fell apart quickly. Imagine if he had! Glad they didn't end up moving as fast as she seemed ready to in that episode. 

ETA: @marmalade i totally agree. i thought they looked pretty awkward when they were first posted, though i didn't suspect a break up at the time

UP probably had no more Ashley footage. I seriously doubt the cameras followed them to cult camp at Big Sandy. But yeah, they really monkeyed with the timelines. 

36 minutes ago, marmalade said:

And how could Kelly post the following last week knowing good and well that it was all over? Not cool at all...

That is one of the oddest things Kelly has done if she was the one actually making the post. 

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived