IGNORED

"Personhood" bill passed in Missouri House

Cleopatra7

The Missouri state House of Representatives just passed a "Personhood" amendment that would give fertilized eggs legal rights. Since there are only eight Democrats in the Senate outof thirty-four, it will almost pass:

http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article75948507.html

Hopefully, it won't be voted into law by a popular vote, but things are going so far to the right these days I wouldn't be surprised if it passes.

My native state irks me. You have Todd Akin saying the crap he spewed back in 2011 and now this! Texas will probably be next since we have our own fair share of insane people holding office!

Can  couples claim fertilized eggs in the freezer as dependents in their taxes?

I thought there was a personhood amendment a few years ago that got thrown out before ever showing up on the ballot.  Silly that they're trying this again.  Hopefully it's just a stunt. 

Anyway, if you leave your frozen embryos at a lab, is that child neglect?  What happens if you make more than you use?  Do they have to be legally adopted?  Is the sale of embryos human trafficking?  If no one else wants them, do you have to pay storage fees in perpetuity or else face charges for mass murder?

What if I have sex in Missouri while pregnant?  Is that lewd conduct or indecent exposure punishable by law?

http://www.house.mo.gov/billtracking/bills161/billpdf/intro/HJR0098I.PDF

6 hours ago, Julifornia said:

I thought there was a personhood amendment a few years ago that got thrown out before ever showing up on the ballot.  Silly that they're trying this again.  Hopefully it's just a stunt. 

Anyway, if you leave your frozen embryos at a lab, is that child neglect?  What happens if you make more than you use?  Do they have to be legally adopted?  Is the sale of embryos human trafficking?  If no one else wants them, do you have to pay storage fees in perpetuity or else face charges for mass murder?

What if I have sex in Missouri while pregnant?  Is that lewd conduct or indecent exposure punishable by law?

http://www.house.mo.gov/billtracking/bills161/billpdf/intro/HJR0098I.PDF

I honestly don't think personhood proponents have fully considered the ramifications of such a bill. If fertilized eggs are persons, then all heavy periods must be given formal burials with death certificates. All women of childbearing age, which could be anywhere from nine year old girls to fifty year old women, would have to be monitored to ensure that they aren't hiding evidence of a clandestine abortion. Even in the pre-Roe v Wade era fertilized eggs and the like weren't considered persons. If this bill does become law, it will probably create a Prohibition-like scenario, in which the wealthy backers expect the bill will limit the activities of the (abortion in the case of personhood and moonshine and cheap beer in the case of Prohibition), but are shocked that the bill limits their own activities as well (IVF and IUDs for personhood and wine and fancy spirits in the case of Prohibition).

Naw, the wealthy would do what they did until Roe, and that is "Go to Kansas to get things sorted out."  My mom was raised in SW Missouri, and she knew plenty of people who "went to Kansas" for a day or two. 
Actually even now, I think the only abortion provider in MO is the one in the Central West End; people in the KC area have to go over to Kansas. 

Restrictions/prohibitions on IVF would be interesting; there are a few really good IVF clinics in St Louis.

22 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Can  couples claim fertilized eggs in the freezer as dependents in their taxes?

Only to the extent to taking a fractional percentage off their electricity or propane bill.:tw_smile:

21 hours ago, Julifornia said:

Naw, the wealthy would do what they did until Roe, and that is "Go to Kansas to get things sorted out." 

That's what I thought would happen when Indiana just passed their new anti-abortion laws. But what it did instead was make the wealthy over-35 women really angry.

All of the wealthy over-35 women that I know (and most of them are Republicans) are now actively working to campaign against the people who wrote that bill. They're holding fundraisers and campaigning for their opponents. So far two of the people who helped write the bill have lost their primaries, and they're mobilizing to try to vote out everyone else who was involved in that bill, including the governor who signed it into law. And a lot of those women voted for this governor, and now they're so angry at him that they're doing everything they can to vote him out. 

Sigh, another blatantly unconstitutional law passed by people who know it will be overturned using tax dollars and time that could be spent making laws that do something for the people of the state.

How much more tax dollars will then be used to fight for this BS, unconstitutional law, when the federal courts rule it unconstitutional? And republicans claim to be the fiscally responsible ones.

Archived