IGNORED

I'm so upset about my cat's medical emergency

Coy Koi

On May 11, 2016 at 5:14 AM, Coy Koi said:

Wow, for some reason I didn't get any notification of replies! I actually felt a bit hurt about it! But thank you for all your well wishes! My kitty had her surgery and is doing great now :). I guess we just need to be really careful from now on about what the little monster can access. I'm so relieved and happy that she's okay. She, on the other hand, probably thinks I'm a huge jerk for shoving some weird liquid (antibiotics) down her throat twice a day. We'll both be glad when that's done.

I'm so glad your kitty is okay! And I agree, giving kitties their medicine isn't a fun job. I wish we could explain to them that we aren't torturing them for fun, and that the medicine will make them feel better.

One advantage of canned cat food is that cats will get the water they need from their food.  Cats eating dry food can tend to get dehydrated. They also tend to get a diet higher in meat if they eat canned food.  Cats don't need grains or any kind of carbohydrates as they lack the enzymes needed to digest carbs.  Some cats, however, like dry food better. 

@Coy Koi, I am so glad that your kitty made it through surgery OK!

My fur niece TK loves canned food.

tk.jpg

If anyone even moves near the drawer where Mommy and Daddy keep the canned cat food she is right there hoping that it means some wet food is in her future.  She won't even hardly let someone take the food out of the can before she's there trying to get at it.

She likes human food too.  Especially if it's made of hamburger.

What a great looking kitty!

Rattling of packages or using a can opener usually involves instant canine assistance around here  - - wanted or not  :)

My parents had a Australian terrier years ago that loved to help my dad (or anyone else) eat Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies.  The dog would be asleep in their bedroom at the other end of the house when the door of the cupboard where the Little Debbies were kept was opened.  She'd be there is a flash!  What made that particular door distinctive we never discovered.  She also knew the sound of a Little Debbie being unwrapped.

We also had several cats that loved corn! My mom would cut corn off the cob and these cats would come running to chew on the cobs. Another cat would eat any leftovers out of the bowl when we had corn.  She also tipped over glasses with milk left in them to get the last few sips of milk.

I began using coconut oil awhile ago, after learning about it on a diabetes forum (eating low carb, high fat).  I bought two big containers of it from Costco - one for the kitchen and one for the bathroom because I use it as a moisturizer/massage cream.  I have a small container that I keep by the couch.  My cat loves it.  She will lick it off my arm or my leg when I put some on.  I checked with the vet to be sure this wouldn't be harmful and he said he thought a little bit would be okay.  She definitely has shinier softer fur since I began using the coconut oil :)

@Coy Koi--I'm glad Freya is recovering nicely. It sounds like she gave you quite a scare. 

Isn't it funny the different foods our pets like to eat? I had a cat who loved a few bites of anything crispy and crunchy I was eating. Chips, Pringles, pretzels, dry cereal...  My parents have a cat who loves fruit. And years ago, my sister shared her Sugar Daddy candy bars with her cat. (Of course, we all only shared very small amounts of the foods, because we didn't want our kitties to have a digestive upset. Who wants to have to clean  up that?)

I also had a cat who was dangerously obsessed with eating curling ribbon, string, yarn, rubber bands, or anything else long and string-like. I was fortunate enough that she never needed medical care for something she ate, but I knew that any of those things could have caused very serious damage, or even ended her life. I learned to be super careful about where I kept things and how I threw away those things. She's been gone over 5 years now and I still tuck my shoelaces in my shoes when I'm not wearing them! The things we do for the love of our furbabies...

12 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

@Coy Koi--I'm glad Freya is recovering nicely. It sounds like she gave you quite a scare. 

Isn't it funny the different foods our pets like to eat? I had a cat who loved a few bites of anything crispy and crunchy I was eating. Chips, Pringles, pretzels, dry cereal...  My parents have a cat who loves fruit. And years ago, my sister shared her Sugar Daddy candy bars with her cat. (Of course, we all only shared very small amounts of the foods, because we didn't want our kitties to have a digestive upset. Who wants to have to clean  up that?)

I also had a cat who was dangerously obsessed with eating curling ribbon, string, yarn, rubber bands, or anything else long and string-like. I was fortunate enough that she never needed medical care for something she ate, but I knew that any of those things could have caused very serious damage, or even ended her life. I learned to be super careful about where I kept things and how I threw away those things. She's been gone over 5 years now and I still tuck my shoelaces in my shoes when I'm not wearing them! The things we do for the love of our furbabies...

My sister has to keep hair ties in a drawer when she's not using them or this little thief gets a hold of them and will try to eat them.

Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 11.26.20 PM.png

Hell Marvel would even take them right off her head while she was wearing them if he could.  There's been a few times when he managed to get into the drawer where she keeps them and scattered them all over. 

One of my kitties likes to chew on my mom's iPhone charger. My brother said she should be safe from electrocution because of the type of wire/charger, but it still worried me. Both kitties seem to love string the normal cat amount. Though one time I was trying to get little miss kitty out from a hiding spot  where I couldn't reach her so I foolishly waved the drawstring of my pajama pants to entice her, which she grabbed onto. Then her claw got stuck and she tried to pull back, but couldn't because the string was attached to me and she wouldn't let me help her. This is the only time I've ever heard her hiss. I'm glad no one else was around because the only solution I could come up with was to take my pants off as fast as possible before she hurt herself.

There's one toy with shiny string type things she keeps chewing on, I need to remember to put that away somewhere.

15 hours ago, 47of74 said:

My sister has to keep hair ties in a drawer when she's not using them or this little thief gets a hold of them and will try to eat them.

Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 11.26.20 PM.png

Hell Marvel would even take them right off her head while she was wearing them if he could.  There's been a few times when he managed to get into the drawer where she keeps them and scattered them all over. 

My cat loves to eat hair elastics too! I keep telling my daughter to throw them out when they start to lose their elasticity, not just put them somewhere that the cat will likely find and eat them. Weird cat...why does she even want to eat hair elastics? And weird daughter...why does she find it so difficult to toss the elastics in the trash? I swear, it's a wonder I haven't gone insane by now. But I sure love my crazy daughter and cat.

17 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

One of my kitties likes to chew on my mom's iPhone charger. My brother said she should be safe from electrocution because of the type of wire/charger, but it still worried me. Both kitties seem to love string the normal cat amount. Though one time I was trying to get little miss kitty out from a hiding spot  where I couldn't reach her so I foolishly waved the drawstring of my pajama pants to entice her, which she grabbed onto. Then her claw got stuck and she tried to pull back, but couldn't because the string was attached to me and she wouldn't let me help her. This is the only time I've ever heard her hiss. I'm glad no one else was around because the only solution I could come up with was to take my pants off as fast as possible before she hurt herself.

There's one toy with shiny string type things she keeps chewing on, I need to remember to put that away somewhere.

Back in 2010 I went down to my sister and brother in law's place.  I was sitting in the living room when Maggie came over and saw the cord going from my laptop over to the wall.  She flopped down on it and began playing with it.  Once she moved to put it in her mouth that's when I said, "Hey you, stop that!"  My brother in law clapped his hands by her to get her to move away.  I asked if Maggie if she had ever seen Christmas vacation.

d.png

Archived