IGNORED

Arndt Man Boys & Mary-Elizabeth living out their own unique stories

0 kids n not countin

1 hour ago, Elegant Mess said:

If, indeed, they've taken a look around at the options available to them and really do want to remain "safe at home", then I'll sit back and shut up.  In the meantime, statistically speaking, I have a hard time believing this is true of all of the ones who have already reached adulthood.  

Come on Arndt guys!  Who wants to be the first to impress me by climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro!  Or, better yet, who can help Rick finally finish Vine Valley this year!

I don't disagree with you. I'm not sure which is more sad: them choosing the life they have or them not having any other options. 

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ScreamingIzzy said:

I don't disagree with you. I'm not sure which is more sad: them choosing the life they have or them not having any other options. 

No worries - that same question has occurred to me as well, but the whole family situation is just.so.bizzare, it's tough to know what to think.  :my_confused:

2 hours ago, Elegant Mess said:

If, indeed, they've taken a look around at the options available to them and really do want to remain "safe at home", then I'll sit back and shut up.  

But the thing is, there are really no options for them. The "safe at home" idea pretty much squashes any options. All they know is home. None of them were raised to leave home, attend college, pursue individual goals, date, or move out. Not one of the what, 11 adult children, has gone off on his or her own. No one has an apartment or saved money and bought a house. They all stayed home! That many children all "choosing" the same thing, without any deviation from being safe at home is telling me there are no other options. in their world.

Court reporting isn't a badly paid job.  They are certainly privy to some seamy stuff in that line of work too. They do socialize more than many of our snarkees, travel independently, and have those open to the public FamTeam softball games.

My own theory is that either Cathy and Rick put something in the water or some combination of:

- they are happy where they are because personal responsibility, meals and laundry are taken off their hands.

- they enjoy the frat boy (minus sex) mentality of the dorms.

- they have no idea how to talk to women.

- most women of suitable age for them to marry eschew frosted lipstick and short shorts so they are considered unattractive and unGodly

Last, but not least, any women they might have tried to date has run for the hills at the very sight of Cathy, Rick and Hometeam.  I mean, seriously.  Why would any sane woman want to take on that mess as in-laws?

I suspect that Cathy and Ric rely on the boys for income to support the home and family.  I also suspect that the boys do not have their own savings but all income goes into the family pot.  I believe there is no escape for the boys as they would not want to deprive the family.

I've been watching old FamTeam videos and Luke is kind of hot.

Out of all the wackos we follow here, they're the family I least "understand".

Screen Shot 2016-05-06 at 10.24.10 PM.png

2 hours ago, usedbicycle said:

I've been watching old FamTeam videos and Luke is kind of hot.

Out of all the wackos we follow here, they're the family I least "understand".

Screen Shot 2016-05-06 at 10.24.10 PM.png

He is a very good looking guy!

I'd love to hear from the guys' co-workers and get their take on them and their situation. While I'm sure they don't have any juicy gossip, it would be interesting to hear from someone who interacts with them on a daily basis. They truly baffle me. 

13 hours ago, ScreamingIzzy said:

@Palimpsest--what would they put in the water? 

During WWI it was widely rumored in the British army that potassium bromide* and/or potassium nitrate (saltpeter) was added to the soldiers' water supplies to suppress libido.  "Putting something in the water" became a joke.  It is probably really old fashioned one!

*Don't try this at home!  PB is a sedative that was also used to treat epileptic seizures in humans when it was believed that they were caused by excessive sexual "indulgence."  It does work to control seizures (and can make people impotent) but another major side effect is that it induces psychosis.  They stopped prescribing it for humans but it is still often used to treat seizures in dogs.  My dog went psychotic on it too so we had to switch to the much more expensive Keppra.  He thinks he's human ...

I don't understand the grumbling. It is very fascinating to follow how they live out their unique stories: this is their unique, only life and here's how daddy and mommy want them to waste it.

As a group, they are certainly unique. As individuals within the group, unique might mean cotton versus flannel, or maybe wanting to play shortstop next season rather than pitcher. 

Some people really do feel comfortable and happy living in their bubbles. You'd think at least one out of a whole family might break out, but hey.

7 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

During WWI it was widely rumored in the British army that potassium bromide* and/or potassium nitrate (saltpeter) was added to the soldiers' water supplies to suppress libido.  "Putting something in the water" became a joke.  It is probably really old fashioned one!

*Don't try this at home!  PB is a sedative that was also used to treat epileptic seizures in humans when it was believed that they were caused by excessive sexual "indulgence."  It does work to control seizures (and can make people impotent) but another major side effect is that it induces psychosis.  They stopped prescribing it for humans but it is still often used to treat seizures in dogs.  My dog went psychotic on it too so we had to switch to the much more expensive Keppra.  He thinks he's human ...

Wow. I had no idea! Thanks!

22 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Court reporting isn't a badly paid job.  They are certainly privy to some seamy stuff in that line of work too. They do socialize more than many of our snarkees, travel independently, and have those open to the public FamTeam softball games.

My own theory is that either Cathy and Rick put something in the water or some combination of:

- they are happy where they are because personal responsibility, meals and laundry are taken off their hands.

- they enjoy the frat boy (minus sex) mentality of the dorms.

- they have no idea how to talk to women.

- most women of suitable age for them to marry eschew frosted lipstick and short shorts so they are considered unattractive and unGodly

Last, but not least, any women they might have tried to date has run for the hills at the very sight of Cathy, Rick and Hometeam.  I mean, seriously.  Why would any sane woman want to take on that mess as in-laws?

Maybe those Seven Sisters or farm girls or what ever they call themselves could take the Arndt boys on as a team. Well, except for the shorts. Sorry, I'm new at these families.

On 5/5/2016 at 9:16 PM, EscapedCardinal said:

Hope you didn't get any ideas about Sarah Maxwell getting married either!

I did check the Maxwell blog a couple of times so I knew she hadn't. 

I still hope. Maybe she could elope with one of the manboys. It would displease all the parents but it would please me.  

As bizarre as their family is, i do appreciate that Cathy does not go on and on (rather immodestly!) about her cycles, birth stories, etc like another hyper fertile mother we know....

I wonder what all the man boys will do for Cathy for Mother's Day...offerings of stuffed penguins at her feet?

A photo taken in the parental bedroom with each of the manboy's + Mary Elizabeth's hands on her tummy??

13 hours ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

Maybe those Seven Sisters or farm girls or what ever they call themselves could take the Arndt boys on as a team. Well, except for the shorts. Sorry, I'm new at these families.

Hey, you fit right in.  I have a soft spot for the kidults in both families and this is a long-held hope for many FJers.  Cathy could dress the sisters in white shorts and the sisters would bring the Arndts out of their shells and teach them about raising ducks.

However, I've come to the conclusion that the Seven Farm Girls are too nice and much too outgoing for the Arndts - but they would all have so much FUN if they got together. :)

On 5/6/2016 at 0:44 AM, OodOnTheLoo said:

I corresponded with one of the older boys, encouraging him to get out and meet lots of women.  His reply was basically that he is resigned to bachelorhood and okay with it.  Crushing.  At least these guys seem to be gentlemen and kind.  For the most part they seem to enjoy the young kids.  It's not right they didn't get a chance to have their wives and children (lives).

They may not want wives, but that would be the only acceptable choice. Well, that, and eternal damnation.

3 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Hey, you fit right in.  I have a soft spot for the kidults in both families and this is a long-held hope for many FJers.  Cathy could dress the sisters in white shorts and the sisters would bring the Arndts out of their shells and teach them about raising ducks.

However, I've come to the conclusion that the Seven Farm Girls are too nice and much too outgoing for the Arndts - but they would all have so much FUN if they got together. :)

I picture the seven girls and Cathy in white shorts, maybe short white boots, sort of an Arndt drum majorette team. Film that happy valley!

The human biological urge to procreate (or just to have sex) is not a minor thing that can just be suppressed with the right mentality-- just look at all of those young men who try and come up short.  Look at the sexual scandals among the Catholic priests.  Look at all of the writings and angst among young Mormon men who usually end up marrying early because they are not supposed to masturbate. Look at how "Abstinence Only" sex ed has been  proven to fail.  Everywhere you look, every religion, every culture that attempts to suppress this natural urge has a massive failure rate.  So either the guys are allowed some kind of release (solo, paid, incestuous) or there is something else at work here.  Possibly a genetic fault, possibly medication, or perhaps the Arndt Parents have accidentally discovered a brainwashing technique that is 100% effective-- if so they should write a book because there are millions of people out there that would be interested.

Man! Was hoping something interesting happened in the land of the Arndt...checking out a few of the son's fb pages, they seem like interesting, decent guys. I also noticed on fb their photography business is advertised in The Knot Magazine! Sure seems like their business does really well and gets great reviews too. I've been tempted to reach out and get quotes, and see how they compare.

It blows my mind that the types of folk they are exposed to at weddings and locales as well, none appear to want something more out of life.

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

The human biological urge to procreate (or just to have sex) is not a minor thing that can just be suppressed with the right mentality-- just look at all of those young men who try and come up short.  Look at the sexual scandals among the Catholic priests.  Look at all of the writings and angst among young Mormon men who usually end up marrying early because they are not supposed to masturbate. Look at how "Abstinence Only" sex ed has been  proven to fail.  Everywhere you look, every religion, every culture that attempts to suppress this natural urge has a massive failure rate.  So either the guys are allowed some kind of release (solo, paid, incestuous) or there is something else at work here.  Possibly a genetic fault, possibly medication, or perhaps the Arndt Parents have accidentally discovered a brainwashing technique that is 100% effective-- if so they should write a book because there are millions of people out there that would be interested.

Thank you. I have not been able to get the right words for what bothers me about this family.Something is up, saltpeter in the chili?  

So, is anyone bold enough to text them and ask if they're REALLY happy? :)

I guess my fascination with them stems from the fact that they AREN'T sheltered. They travel, they hear court testimony, they work outside the home, they interact with society. Their homeschooling appears to be high-quality. Mom and Dad don't seem to feel the need to filter everything for their kids, or talk about how much better they are than everyone else. They seem confident that making pizza with Mom and going for rides with Dad and eating birthday cake in their parent's bed is what their sons will choose. And so far: THEY'RE RIGHT. 

And that just blows my mind. 

Wow, that bottom photo in their Knot ad is really beautiful. 

And @ScreamingIzzy I feel exactly the same way. It just does not compute. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived