IGNORED

Counting On - Part 9: Even the Flashbacks Have Flashbacks

choralcrusader8613

I don't know why they keep harping on adoption. Ben and Jessa aren't even old enough to adopt in most cases. 

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

It will be interesting to see the numbers for this show. I'm thinking they might be quite high because people wanted to see the life changing moment.

Leghumpers on Lily and Ellie's blog were PISSED about being misled about the "life changing" announcement. One even figured out that TLC did it to pad ratings (of yet another clipshow TLC knew was bad).

27 minutes ago, PecanThief said:

So basically TLC is now just straight up lying for views saying there will be "a life changing announcement" and then there is none. WTF get these losers off tv!

God. Everytime I see your profile pic, @PecanThief, it looks like someone out of some very hairy 70s pr0n. :pb_lol::nanner-sex:

RE: all the flashback clips- somehow I missed the show with Jill & Derick skyping... With Boob & M eavesdropping, hanging on their every word. OMG!!! So creepy and gross!

No boundaries at all in that house. 

Every time Boob and M pop up on the screen it startles me and I jump a little. I can't stand to hear them talk anymore, especially Moochelle. I love it that they are not shown very much in the new footage and get very few 'lines'.  :) 

I'm confused and the comments in this thread have me more confused. Was there a "life changing event" or not? I know there's a Benessa interview during the LPBW epi but I haven't watched that yet. 

I'm confused and the comments in this thread have me more confused. Was there a "life changing event" or not? I know there's a Benessa interview during the LPBW epi but I haven't watched that yet. 

There was no such event.

2 minutes ago, Snarkylark said:

There was no life changing announcement at all tonight, even though TLC led us to believe there would be. Maybe this might give some leghumbers a reality check for their beloved show. If the molestation scandal didn't do the trick...

22 minutes ago, marmalade said:

Leghumpers on Lily and Ellie's blog were PISSED about being misled about the "life changing" announcement. One even figured out that TLC did it to pad ratings (of yet another clipshow TLC knew was bad).

Is this the Pickles and Hairspray Facebook, or something else? I am confused. 

No, I am referring to Lily and Ellie's Duggar Family Blog (by fans for fans). Pickles is not a fan page. 

52 minutes ago, Snarkylark said:

The "life-changing announcement" was that the Seewalds may, at some point in the future, be interested in considering adopting a child. (Or possibly that Jessa and Jill might, at some point in the future, become pregnant again.) There was apparently no actual news.

How will they get a second season of the show when it is obvious that they had so little material for one season, that they had to use old footage as a filler? I don't think there are any courtships/weddings or pregnancies in the immediate future or TLC would have taken full advantage of it. 

Basically they had more storylines (mostly manufactured) when it was 19Kids. The reality is that not only do they not have anything interesting going on, the Duggar women lack the charisma/personality to keep a viewer engaged in a boring episode. We snark about the Maxwells being beige but the Duggars are just a slightly tanner shade of beige. 

I thought the news was that Jill finally cleaned her goddamn house. 

Interesting how they are always just a step or two behind. "oh...Jill's house isn't clean? Let's fix that! Oh, people think Jana cares too much for the kids? Show her doing construction!" but they completely fail to grasp the actual larger critiques of the show. Like that it is boring and clickbait-y and they need to stop re-using old plot lines. (Avoiding the obvious they shouldn't be on TV at all, but we know TLC doesn't care about those objections). So in about three weeks they're going to try to do damage control on this announcement thing but they'll fuck something else up, because they just don't quite get what people want to see of the Duggars. They lost their wholesome charm that made people willing to watch them make homemade pickles, but they won't show the good stuff either.

9 minutes ago, socalrules said:

How will they get a second season of the show when it is obvious that they had so little material for one season, that they had to use old footage as a filler? I don't think there are any courtships/weddings or pregnancies in the immediate future or TLC would have taken full advantage of it. 

Basically they had more storylines (mostly manufactured) when it was 19Kids. The reality is that not only do they not have anything interesting going on, the Duggar women lack the charisma/personality to keep a viewer engaged in a boring episode. We snark about the Maxwells being beige but the Duggars are just a slightly tanner shade of beige. 

It is hard to believe that they didn't have more footage from the mission trip. This just goes to show they are not doing real mission work. If they were doing real mission work and living a non-American lifestyle there would have been plenty of interest to film. So in between the flashbacks, all they could show was a soccer game and a visit to an orphanage? I can't believe they could not fake an episode of Jill at a local market learning about new foods and cooking them for her siblings?

I think that Jill may be moving away from the Quiverfill philosophy. She was still nursing Izzy after he turned one. Gothard encourages mothers to wean their fruit early so that they can start on their next blessing. I think that Derick may be leading her away and Ma and Pa may be pissed. I hope that they stay in CA for at least another 5 months. It seems that time away from the parental units is giving her time rethink the coolaid that she has been drinking.

Christian adoption agencies do not operate the way legal ones do. My daughter who is now a conservative Christian and her husband decided to put their anti-abortion beliefs to the test and decided to foster a child. At the time they had two boys. They were given a newborn to foster. The baby was the daughter of a developmentally delayed young woman.  She decided that she wanted my daughter and her family to adopt her baby. The adoption process took about two years before the adoption became official.

5 minutes ago, Lillybee said:

I think that Jill may be moving away from the Quiverfill philosophy. She was still nursing Izzy after he turned one. Gothard encourages mothers to wean their fruit early so that they can start on their next blessing. I think that Derick may be leading her away and Ma and Pa may be pissed. I hope that they stay in CA for at least another 5 months. It seems that time away from the parental units is giving her time rethink the coolaid that she has been drinking.

Christian adoption agencies do not operate the way legal ones do. My daughter who is now a conservative Christian and her husband decided to put their anti-abortion beliefs to the test and decided to foster a child. At the time they had two boys. They were given a newborn to foster. The baby was the daughter of a developmentally delayed young woman.  She decided that she wanted my daughter and her family to adopt her baby. The adoption process took about two years before the adoption became official.

I have thought all along that Derrick picking up and getting out of dodge like he did w/ Jill & Izzy was to get her away from her crazy family. 

The Duggars simply are not individually interesting enough to sustain an entertaining reality show. Their primary appeal has always been their freakishly large family size. Separately, there just isn't much there - they don't do a whole lot or say much of value. 

I'm sure the show will keep puttering on for a little while because there are people who like it for some reason, but if they couldn't even come up with enough interesting footage for eight-or-so hours without massively padding with flashbacks, they have to eventually run out of juice.

Who but the Duggars could make the experience of living in another country and learning about a completely different culture look boring? That part at least should have been an automatic success, but they still couldn't manage to pull it off.

7 hours ago, Purrl said:

I watched tonight, but was also washing dishes so I thought I might have missed the "life-changing" moment.  Guess I didn't miss it afterall....

Maybe cancellation will be the real life changer!

6 hours ago, GreenTea said:

Yeah, That was very odd. When asked a simple question Jill & Derick lied saying they didn't know when they would be back and twisted their words around to the producers/viewing public. Asked the same question by Jessa and Jill answered it truthfully and clearly. About 5 months. Why can't they just be honest. Asked a question. Answer a question. It's the same thing with Jinger courting. She is clearly "getting to know" a boy or courting, but she dodges answering simple yes/no questions about it. We are not fools. If they are so scared of letting people know the truth then they should not have a reality TV show. You can't have your cake and eat it too.    

Nope. Another boring rerun show. Maybe there was some "life changing event" that was going to be announced but the plans fell through or somebody got cold feet and told the producers to cut it out of the show? 

I hate to say it, b/c it suggests another show, but maybe, A Duggar Got Dumped?

The treehouse was finished a few weeks ago and the girls kinda sorta fleshed out the meaning of the term "scallopini"; either one could qualify as lifechanging in their world. I guess.

9 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Got it. Izzy and Spurgie met, realized they were cousins, and their lives have changed because of it. No?

Only momentarily.  In about 20 years they'll run into each other amongst a few hundred other Duggar first cousins at a wedding and Izzy will say, "Hey, you're Sperling, right?  Or is it Sturgeon?  Stirling?"   And Spurge will say, "Call me Steve."

The fact that they still cannot converse in Spanish with the locals tells us they don't spend much time communicating with them. Derick may preach at them, but they ain't talking to them.  My guess is Jill will be begging to go home soon.  God will whisper to her that there are tons of Mary-worshiping papists living in places like New York, Southern California, Chicago....

9 hours ago, EyeQueue said:

Word. Go "love on" some pets at the animal shelter. These are fragile human beings who need more than just a damned photo op.

I actually kept thinking that their reaction to the Little Brown Orphans was like mine when I go to an animal shelter. Maybe someone else can offer a perspective, because I don't like kids or want any. Have other people been to an orphanage or school or event or any other place where large groups of potentially adoptable kids are gathered and thought "I want ALL OF THEM"? Because my instinct is to think this is a Duggar child-collector mentality, but maybe it's more typical than I think.

39 minutes ago, JenniferJuniper said:

The fact that they still cannot converse in Spanish with the locals tells us they don't spend much time communicating with them. Derick may preach at them, but they ain't talking to them.

I actually thought Jill sounded fairly decent when she actually did speak to them. She has a reasonable vocabulary and her diction is not terrible. But if she expects fluency in a period of months, she really should have been learning foreign languages since childhood. Obviously there's no end to the ways JB&M have failed their kids, but considering that they've made many trips to Central America as a family and Jill had a passion for one day moving there, it's too bad she couldn't have been learning Spanish for years at this point. And too bad she couldn't have taken any of her own initiative in that area. Even if she never left the US, learning Spanish within the context of a midwifery education could be extremely useful. 

what made me laugh the hardest and I can't figure out why is the group of sisters being trotted up on stage to sing. 

and seems that Jill has a little spit fire in SCA

overall - they should have included Jill more in the series - I can't believe that I said that 

Good news:  Jill is still breastfeeding Izzy.  So, she's doing that differently than her mom.  I think she is using it as a quasi-natual planning.  Hope so anyway.

Granted, this is passed through the Duggar Truth Filter, so who knows, but Michelle always said her babies started self-weaning because she was already pregnant again and her milk changed. Lactational amenorrhea doesn't work for everyone, but hopefully it works for Jill. Families with the size and spacing of the Duggars and Bateses are rare, even among QFers.

9 hours ago, Shiny said:

I don't know why they keep harping on adoption. Ben and Jessa aren't even old enough to adopt in most cases. 

Plus there's the part where the youngest existing child must be at least 9 months old. I'm sure they went to the shadiest christian agency they could find, and even that agency gave them a child-spacing guideline. If Jessa has anything approaching her mother's fertility and they continue to not use BC, they're not likely to ever go 9-12 months without a new pregnancy.

That was such a yawn worthy show. Really TLC? Shame on them for airing it. Blah. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • Curious unpinned this topic

Archived