IGNORED

Lesbian Grows Hair Out and Marries a Guy-Emily Thomes

DomWackTroll

...and is praised by ecstatic homophobes:

Do we know this young woman or her new husband? Their families? The name "Thomes" seems familiar somehow. I don't know what her maiden name was. 

The wedding video made me sad. She's still in there, somewhere.  

• Upvote 5

This came across my Facebook yesterday and I was saddened. If the girl loves her husband and is happy I am happy for her. I just feel devastated to think that she may have chosen this route in some emotional and desperate response to God/church/family/friends who may have done the whole "love the sinner but hate the sin" type of thing. How much anguish did she have to go through to outwardly change, to conform to what she came to believe was "right"? I really hope she is happy...but I fear someday the rush of religion will be over and she will find herself stuck in a position that she was never meant to occupy.

• Upvote 32

This somehow tells me she is not quite as convinced about this whole marriage thing as she would like others to believe....

• Upvote 25

Off topic, but whatever this "around the corner" thing is, it needs to go away-- along with barn doors and railroad tracks. 

Edited by DomWackTroll
  • Upvote 25

27 minutes ago, iheartchacos said:

Fundies are ablaze with this story! It means 'transgendered' was made up by the left to destroy them!!!!!!!

Wait...was she transgendered or a masculine lesbian who got the gay prayed away and married a guy?

If the fundies are automatically thinking lesbian = transgender, they're idiots.

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I hope they both remain happy, but more importantly, I hope they both remain true to themselves...

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, DomWackTroll said:

Off topic, but whatever this "around the corner" thing is, it needs to go away-- along with barn doors and railroad tracks. 

Though I don't have a problem with it, you still made me laugh.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, DomWackTroll said:

Haha, I like it.  If only because I think it is much nicer when the couple take pictures before the ceremony, and if you don't want to see the bride...I guess this is the only option.

Railroad tracks are stupid, but I can one up that...

My friends took their engagement photos

Wait for it

At the Gettysburg Battlefield.  

You know, ON THE FIELD OF THE MOST DEVASTATING CONFLICT IN AMERICAN HISTORY.  

Featured in their photos were various landmarks including the Confederate High Water Mark,  several memorials, and some cannons.  You know, stuff you want to think about when you look at your engagement photos.  

• Upvote 17

11 minutes ago, Soulhuntress said:

Confused.  she was lesbian or experimenting? 

From what I gather (I have insomnia bad right now and read farther down her fb than I really care to admit), in her opinion, she wasn't a lesbian because that's not a legitimate thing a person can be. They can just be sinners who aren't accepting God's role for them. You can feel attraction to people of the same sex, but basically just suck it up (not literally...) because this isn't about you.

But to people who aren't dumbass fundies, it sounds like she probably is actually a lesbian. Hopefully for her sake she's bisexual and can be happy with her husband, but it's not really the impression I got from what I read.

On a side note, from her page I somehow ended up on this woman's page https://www.facebook.com/leah.johnson.121?fref=ufi and my gosh, she's like the most negative, joyless, lecturey person ever. She makes John Shrader look like a ray of sunshine.

• Upvote 7

I know a few people who entered into relationships with members of the opposite sex after a same-sex relationship ended. In one case, the same-sex partner died, and a few years later my friend married someone of the opposite sex. None of them talked of being ex-gay or having some kind of epiphany that changed their orientation. They identify as bi, or may just say they dislike labels. They don't pretend the new relationship invalidates the previous one. It's not a big deal for their friends either.  Frankly, I was more floored when my daughter, who identifies as queer, started wearing dresses and skirts after an adolescence and early adulthood spent shopping in the Boys' department. (But I got over it.)

Only fundies need to make this a big freaking deal. And, sadly, their new relationships often seem inauthentic. 

• Upvote 20
  • Love 1

Sure hope this is the real thing -- whatever that is -- for Emily.  

Her account of when she came to Jesus does not make me optimistic, though:

I really had no idea what was going on at first that night but it makes my heart so happy reading this now. One second I hardly cared for what His word said; the next I couldn't overlook it or ignore it anymore. It rang true in my heart; my eyes were opened. This is the conversation I had that night with my aunt, Shelley:

Me: I can't be gay.
Like there's no way around that.
I've read every verse on it and it's clear as day. I can't.
One cannot really follow Christ and choose to act on anything.
I can't smoke weed.

Shelley: I know what the verses say and that is what I tried to tell u in the past but u were not ready to hear that then

Me: Shelley this is harsh on me right now. This just hit me like a ton of bricks.
I don't know how I didn't feel this before.
Can I really do this? Just stop?
Since last night it's made sense in my head to literally stop. Just don't. And it seems like there's no other way.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Mercer said:

My hope for her is that she is actually bisexual rather than a lesbian and ended up finding love with a male partner.

My fear for her is that she's hiding her true self because the people in her life didn't approve and she was afraid God didn't either.

I agree. If she is indeed a lesbian, and has no romantic/sexual attractio to men, her life must be horrible.

She of course could be bisexual (hopefully!), but did she indentify as lesbian in the first place?

• Upvote 4

It's possible she's bisexual or falls somewhere else along the continuum of sexuality. Or she could be one of those people who falls in love with a person regardless of gender.

I do think she looks happy in that picture with her husband -- I hope she is. 

• Upvote 12

4 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Sure hope this is the real thing -- whatever that is -- for Emily.  

Her account of when she came to Jesus does not make me optimistic, though:

Aw, this makes me sad for her. I hope she truly loves this man and didn't marry him because she thinks it's what Jesus wants. 

7 hours ago, Coy Koi said:

From what I gather (I have insomnia bad right now and read farther down her fb than I really care to admit), in her opinion, she wasn't a lesbian because that's not a legitimate thing a person can be. They can just be sinners who aren't accepting God's role for them. You can feel attraction to people of the same sex, but basically just suck it up (not literally...) because this isn't about you.

But to people who aren't dumbass fundies, it sounds like she probably is actually a lesbian. Hopefully for her sake she's bisexual and can be happy with her husband, but it's not really the impression I got from what I read.

On a side note, from her page I somehow ended up on this woman's page https://www.facebook.com/leah.johnson.121?fref=ufi and my gosh, she's like the most negative, joyless, lecturey person ever. She makes John Shrader look like a ray of sunshine.

Oh god, I know someone who has commented on her posts (the joyless lecturey person). It all makes sense now.... 

• Upvote 2

Why are fundies so obsessed with sex? Why should I care what people who aren't me do with their naughty bits? Why do I even get an opinion on other people's sex lives? 

Is it because the babeez won't come with same sex relationships?  

• Upvote 18
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Georgiana said:

Haha, I like it.  If only because I think it is much nicer when the couple take pictures before the ceremony, and if you don't want to see the bride...I guess this is the only option.

Wait for it

Featured in their photos were various landmarks including the Confederate High Water Mark,  several memorials, and some cannons.  You know, stuff you want to think about when you look at your engagement photos.  

I hope they shot a few pics at Devil's Den. And what about Little Round Top, where Colonel Chamberlain ordered a bayonet charge and they all went merrily down the hill skewering the opposition? It's got to be a place steeped in romance, dontcha think?

:?

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

In those two pictures she says the one on the left her eyes are dead and the one on the right her face is full of life or whatever. But I see it opposite. Just because she's smiling in one doesn't make the obviously light behind her "true self" disappear.

I hope the best for her, but she probably has a long, hard road ahead of her.

Edit to add: ALSO, I'm watching a wedding video of theirs now and im 2 minutes 30 seconds in and so far there was an awkward soliloquy from the groom, like two seconds of video of them taking awkward wedding photos, and the rest is just empty room shots and details of the church and decor. ???? it's so boring

Edit 2: I finished the video and it is bleak. First off, who ever was their videographer is terrible, but in the end I get a sense this wedding was quick, awkward, and not well attended. 

Emily's "testimony" in the video is heartbreaking. She wanes on and on about god and loving god and needing to be better at loving god, and how her husband Ben helps her be better everyday through his own commitment to god. 

He is "reformed". They got engaged "quickly, very quick". She got married on April 9th, the two year anniversary when she was saved :/

Edited by habert
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

9 hours ago, Georgiana said:

Wait for it

Hey now, I live in Gettysburg and I fully understand this.  The battlefield is beautiful- I spend a lot of time there and most of it isn't thinking about the battle.  You'll see tons of people riding bikes, jogging, walking dogs, having picnics and the like.

I went to college in Williamsburg and we have a few wedding pictures with cannon in them.  Thinking about it it might seem a bit weird, but when you live in a tourist town a lot of stuff sort of fades into the background.  We're used to having Lincoln or Lee walk by.

• Upvote 8

10 hours ago, Georgiana said:

Wait for it

Okay.  True confession time.  I hitched up the trailer and took my husband on horseback ride around Gettysburg for our wedding anniversary years ago.  We had a marvelous time.  He rode his favourite horse (28 yo & still in our backyard), I rode mine (who died last February at the age of 29).  Back when photos were only on film.  

Gettysburg is lovely and I wouldn't blink an eye at someone getting married or honeymooning there, or Antietam (even bloodier) or any of the other Civil War sites.  I mean, I donate more than enough money to Civil War Trust so that everybody can go and see these places.  More quiet and green is needed by everyone.

I'm not sympathetic to the Confederate cause though.  Not when there are members of my family who would be enslaved if the Union hadn't won.

I hope she and her husband are happy in the future too.  It doesn't appear to me that she's very happy though.  I wish them both well, regardless of how this plays out.  To me, it just rings hollow.

• Upvote 10