IGNORED

Amy Jordan Duggar Jordan Duggar King Duggar Wedding Part 4 AKA Amy and Dillon King

samurai_sarah

20 minutes ago, smallestneal said:

How and if people choose to share their trauma is up to them, and I obviously have no idea how much of what Amy said was true, but (and with this I admit my deepest shame--that I have been watching this show out of morbid curiosity, HA) one thing that Amy said that really, really bothered me was "The one thing I NEVER want to be compared to is someone with clinical depression" or words to that effect. Like, ok, if it's true that her mom was suicidal I can understand this to a point and perhaps she misspoke or clumsily worded what she was saying, but at face value that makes me...really upset. I have major depression (along with/due to a couple other psychiatrist-assigned acronyms) and, I dunno, it just made me feel really bad. Is this how some people think of me? Again, I don't know exactly what she meant by that or if all of her story was even true (according to Amy's mom it wasn't, but who knows), but still. :(

Plenty of people struggle with depression, there is nothing wrong with saying that you need help. I am happy that you know that you can get help. I hate that Amy made you feel bad about it because I don't think she has a clue about what she's saying. She has offended people a couple of times already. Domestic abuse victims because she would never be that girl and people with depression because of what you pointed out. 

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amy said those things on a reality show. Things her mother denied before the episode aired. So, which one is telling the truth? My guess is that the truth is somewhere in the middle. That whole family (all of the Duggars) is fucked up and desperately needs therapy.

On 1/28/2017 at 1:02 PM, grandmadugger said:

Amy and Dillon are getting more airtime today than in the past. Amy was worried that another gal was going to stab the other women in the kitchen because the gal had a knife and was getting upset. Dillon said he gets a little excited about the call to the therapy room. They are going to talk about their parents with someone besides their partner. 

Dillon's mom left his dad. It was the only time he saw his dad cry. He's being very matter of fact no emotion. Amy is already crying or trying too. Her parents fought a lot. In a TH she said her mom wasn't capable of doing a lot of things people take for granted. The last thing she wants to do is be compared to someone with severe depression. There were times she would write notes saying I can't be your mom anymore. It traumatized Amy. It would be so loud and crazy in the house she would sleep on the trampoline. She would go to Amy land and be super positive. It makes her feel like she had no childhood at all. 

Neither were shown talking about their dads. 

Part in bold.....

That really makes Amy a bitch in my eyes. What a disgusting thing to say.

I haven't watched any of this so I haven't seen Amy's facial expressions or heard her tone...but maybe she is in denial? I suffer from chronic low grade depression...probably had major depression in there for a few years but for the most part it lays low, but is always there. Anyway, it took me 10 years to finally admit to myself that I had actual depression and needed help. 10 years to finally see a doctor and tell them what I was dealing with. Granted, part of those 10 years I was a minor and I blame my parents for not getting me the help I needed then, but at least half of that time I was an adult. It can be very scary to admit that you have depression out loud. 

1 hour ago, JesSky03 said:

I haven't watched any of this so I haven't seen Amy's facial expressions or heard her tone...but maybe she is in denial? I suffer from chronic low grade depression...probably had major depression in there for a few years but for the most part it lays low, but is always there. Anyway, it took me 10 years to finally admit to myself that I had actual depression and needed help. 10 years to finally see a doctor and tell them what I was dealing with. Granted, part of those 10 years I was a minor and I blame my parents for not getting me the help I needed then, but at least half of that time I was an adult. It can be very scary to admit that you have depression out loud. 

I'm in a somewhat similar boat. I'm being treated for both GAD and severe depression and the latter is way harder for me to admit, even to the medical staff who know most of my history. When I'm fine, I'm in denial.

I haven't watched this show though, all my information is coming from FJ. So I'm probably missing a lot in context and tone.

22 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

Amy never said she was abused.  I don't think hearing your parents fight is abuse.  Her mom did post that not everything that was aired Friday was true.  Her mom has never denied the fights between her and Terry so that leads me to believe she was talking about the suicide notes. 

There is something very off with Amy on this show. All of the other women cried when talking about their childhood and many of the guys did too Amy fake cried. There was no sign of tears even though her voice suggested it. It was either bad acting or she can't show emotion. I lean towards bad acting. 

She actually did address that and said she hides her hurt by overacting "happiness" and "cheeriness." I don't know if that's true, but I have a flat affect when talking about my trauma. Others laugh and smile seemingly inappropriately; other people talk in baby voices or act "cool" or indifferent. I don't deny that Amy could be lying but the way a person tells their story about something traumatic and hurtful isn't a good way to discern that. Sometimes crying is used to manipulate as much as smiling is. 

I don't necessarily blame Amy for saying she doesn't want to be compared to a depressed person. There is a major stigma against depression and mental illness everywhere and it's not like Amy is brilliant and deeply political and understands all of that. She also claims to have experienced deep pain when her mother was depressed and suicidal. So that would color someone's opinion of mental illness and what it means. 

19 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I agree. None of us know what really happened, and as was said by others, there are multiple perceptions of everything that happened or didn't happen. I do think that Famy, along with many others, would do better if she had competent mental health therapy in a private setting. That setting can involve family members, if necessary. A long run of therapy helped me so much, and my mother attended several sessions, so we could work through some of our issues. I've talked publicly about some of the issues, but most remain between me, the Psychologist, and my mother. I can't imagine going on a "reality show" to air my dirty laundry. I'd rather work three crummy jobs than do that.

I agree that would be better, but there seems to be a lot of denial and toxicity and not a lot of self awareness in all aspects of their family. Her parents hate each other, she obviously has major issues, and either she or her mom is lying about a suicidal past. And that's not even counting her cousins... It's also extremely fortunate to have a family member even agree to go in the first place to talk about a hurtful past. Many families would never agree to help in that way. 

19 minutes ago, SweetFellowshipper said:

I don't necessarily blame Amy for saying she doesn't want to be compared to a depressed person. There is a major stigma against depression and mental illness everywhere and it's not like Amy is brilliant and deeply political and understands all of that. She also claims to have experienced deep pain when her mother was depressed and suicidal. So that would color someone's opinion of mental illness and what it means. 

I tried to give Amy a LOT of the benefit of the doubt on this one because I don't know her story and it was definitely personal for me (stigma has affected my life in some pretty heinous ways in the past), but. I don't really think you need to be "brilliant" or "deeply political" to understand that stigma exists. If we start pretending that you need to be those things in order to understand that stigma exists and how it affects people, then I don't know how the stigma would ever end. I think you need to think for five seconds before you speak if you've got a platform, but this is Amy we're talking about, sooooooooo....:my_rolleyes: 

At some point, though, you're responsible for educating yourself a bit and learning the nuance of situations. However, it's also true that when you haven't dealt with trauma that it's almost impossible to do that. I just hope Amy (and others on this show) get some help for whatever it is that's happened/happening with them. 

2 hours ago, smallestneal said:

I tried to give Amy a LOT of the benefit of the doubt on this one because I don't know her story and it was definitely personal for me (stigma has affected my life in some pretty heinous ways in the past), but. I don't really think you need to be "brilliant" or "deeply political" to understand that stigma exists. If we start pretending that you need to be those things in order to understand that stigma exists and how it affects people, then I don't know how the stigma would ever end. I think you need to think for five seconds before you speak if you've got a platform, but this is Amy we're talking about, sooooooooo....:my_rolleyes: 

At some point, though, you're responsible for educating yourself a bit and learning the nuance of situations. However, it's also true that when you haven't dealt with trauma that it's almost impossible to do that. I just hope Amy (and others on this show) get some help for whatever it is that's happened/happening with them. 

Well, yes, lol. I was being "nice"/ironically understating. I meant that Amy is not very bright or aware at all. 

6 hours ago, SweetFellowshipper said:

She actually did address that and said she hides her hurt by overacting "happiness" and "cheeriness." I don't know if that's true, but I have a flat affect when talking about my trauma. Others laugh and smile seemingly inappropriately; other people talk in baby voices or act "cool" or indifferent. I don't deny that Amy could be lying but the way a person tells their story about something traumatic and hurtful isn't a good way to discern that. Sometimes crying is used to manipulate as much as smiling is. 

I agree that would be better, but there seems to be a lot of denial and toxicity and not a lot of self awareness in all aspects of their family. Her parents hate each other, she obviously has major issues, and either she or her mom is lying about a suicidal past. And that's not even counting her cousins... It's also extremely fortunate to have a family member even agree to go in the first place to talk about a hurtful past. Many families would never agree to help in that way. 

I get that she says she uses happiness to mask her issues but there was something very unauthentic about the delivery of her story. Dillon and JP didn't show a lot of emotion when they told their story about their parents (still have issues with the therapist over those but that's another story) but it felt authentic. Amy didn't feel authentic to me it felt like she was putting on a show. Amy is coming across more like her cousins than I thought she would. I'm placing the blame for her views on depression squarely on her uncle's shoulders. 

13 hours ago, SweetFellowshipper said:

Well, yes, lol. I was being "nice"/ironically understating. I meant that Amy is not very bright or aware at all. 

OOPS, don't I look a fool. Damn the lack of a sarcasm font. :my_biggrin:

29 minutes ago, smallestneal said:

OOPS, don't I look a fool. Damn the lack of a sarcasm font. :my_biggrin:

Nah, it's nearly impossible to tell on the interwebz. 

Looks like Amy launched her new online shop on the 29th. All the pictures are photoshopped because they didn't take real product photos. But I don't understand how everything is sold out? Amy isn't that popular, and the stuff she is selling isn't anything special. I'm guessing she only had one or two of a size...

link to the shop if anyone is interested: https://shopsweetrachelle.com/

1 hour ago, wikinggirl said:

Looks like Amy launched her new online shop on the 29th. All the pictures are photoshopped because they didn't take real product photos. But I don't understand how everything is sold out? Amy isn't that popular, and the stuff she is selling isn't anything special. I'm guessing she only had one or two of a size...

link to the shop if anyone is interested: https://shopsweetrachelle.com/

i had a look, and yes, literally everything is sold out.  how does that happen in a week?  and who is buying all those $40 water bottles?

I just found out my favorite Survivor contestant was on Marriage Bootcamp a season or two ago. It makes me kind of sad. 

He ended up proposing to his girlfriend the last episode and they're still together now, but really? Do you really want to tell your kids that you proposed on a couples therapy show on tv? If that were me, I'd be embarrassed. 

2 hours ago, catlady said:

i had a look, and yes, literally everything is sold out.  how does that happen in a week?  and who is buying all those $40 water bottles?

They same people who are buying Sierra's $10 cupcakes in a jar? :P

6 hours ago, Gillyweed said:

I just found out my favorite Survivor contestant was on Marriage Bootcamp a season or two ago. It makes me kind of sad. 

He ended up proposing to his girlfriend the last episode and they're still together now, but really? Do you really want to tell your kids that you proposed on a couples therapy show on tv? If that were me, I'd be embarrassed. 

Do you mean Tyson? He was an ass to Rachel. Many of the other "boot campers" were telling her she deserved better. The sex episode was especially bad. The counselor sighed and said, "once again, Tyson shows how selfish he is and Rachel just gives in." At that point, they had been together something like seven years and he was just stringing her along. I was shocked when the end credits indicated they actually got married and she was pregnant. By the way, that was the second season of MBC:RS. I was still watching it then, because it seemed interesting and I actually knew of some of the participants. This season, the only couple I had ever heard of was Famy and Dillon.

BTW, I am not impressed by Dillon on MBC. He acts pretty high and mighty. Last week, they had child actors come in and play younger versions of the campers. Dillon Junior was talking about how great his life was and he had the nicest clothes and a fancy watch. "Adult" Dillon didn't understand why that puts people off.

That shop site doesn't work for me. So is she selling like LulaRoe crap or some other MLM product or is this some kind of off-shoot of Dillion's business and she's 'customizing' things?

OK I'm late but here's the recap for Friday's episode. 

And we start with Amy and Dillon.

They are in their room and Amy is telling him about how he talks to her and it makes her feel like a child. She tells him if that's how he is going to be she doesn't know if its going to work. 

Therapist are watching she says that the condescending happens in front of them. 

They are playing the blame game. They are going to pick plates with their most serious issues on them and have a fight. If someone accepts the blame then they get to break the plate if no one accepts blame the two therapists will assign fault.  This is supposed to show them that assigning blame isn't healthy.  Then they have to pick up the mess  

Communication - Dillon plate he gets called out for his tone when accepting blame by Dr. I

Commercials need to be longer lol

Dillon says he realizes that since they got there and open to working on that he broke it 

Responsibility - Amy's plate Dillon says if there are responsibilities she tends not to do them said she went shopping instead of taking care of setting up her online banking. Amy takes the plate and says she takes care of the cat and she isn't some loser who sits and waits until he comes home. Dillon takes the plate back and says the cat has an automatic feeder. Amy breaks the plate. 

Voice from someone says Amy has devil eyes and Joe (another contestant) says Dillon talks to her like an employee. They clean up. 

They have to eat lunch on the plate that is their biggest problem. Since it is broke they have to work together and talk about the issue when putting it back together. D&A picked communication. Dillon says he is sorry and tries to kiss her. Amy asks him for what and wants to know what he did out there. He says what do you mean? He's continually talking to her like a child. He says it is a subconscious thing. Others say that is worse than yelling. 

Now the other couples get say who is to blame and that person gets a pie to the face. (This is going to get ugly I think)

So after they vote they have to tell why. 

Dillon gets the pie everyone votes Dillon.  The pie doesn't hit him so Amy shoves it in his face. He says he doesn't know what to do to change it. Dr. V says he will get the tools. 

Now we we move on to the evaluations. She tells Dillon everyone is after him because it's a very specific thing he does that they don't like. She tells him to that a minute before he speaks. She tells Amy he loves her but it's annoying when she's at the mall and she's supposed to be taking care of business at the bank. She basically tells Amy it's time to grow up. 

Amy and Dillon go back to their room and she brings up being treated like a child. He tells her to stop she's insulting. She tells him when he does that she feels like she is being raped by an older man.  She tells him if he treats her like a child they won't have sex. 

2 minutes ago, grandmadugger said:

She tells him when he does that she feels like she is being raped by an older man.  She tells him if he treats her like a child they won't have sex. 

Woah, that's some harsh crap for her to be spewing out. Dillon ain't a winner either, but...geesh.

Just now, choralcrusader8613 said:

Woah, that's some harsh crap for her to be spewing out. Dillon ain't a winner either, but...geesh.

Yeah I was floored when that came out and even rewound it a couple of times to make sure I was getting it right. 

Many of us have claimed that Amy was exceedingly immature.  Even we may have underestimated the lack of maturity.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived