IGNORED

Satanists Mock Killing of Unborn Children in Bizarre and Grotesque Protest

doggie

http://www.lifenews.com/2016/04/26/watch-satanists-mock-killing-of-unborn-children-in-bizarre-and-grotesque-protest/?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link

Pro-life protesters faced a disturbing scene this weekend in Michigan when a group of Satanists arrived to counter-protest wearing baby masks and carrying whips.

Citizens for a Pro-Life Society organized a protest outside of the Detroit Planned Parenthood abortion clinic on Saturday as part of a larger #ProtestPP movement to expose the abortion giant’s deadly trade of aborting unborn babies and trafficking their body parts.

During the pro-life event, a local Satanist group arrived and conducted a disturbingly grotesque counter-protest. Some of the Satanists dressed in masks and diapers to look like babies, while others dressed in black, carried whips and flailed the “babies.” Others dressed as mock priests and nuns. They marched around the pro-lifers and acted out the disturbing scene in front of the pro-life banners, crying and crawling and waving their arms in a perverted theatrical display.

“This says all that needs to be said about Planned Parenthood that Satanists come out to protest against us — and are in league with Planned Parenthood,” said Monica Miller of Citizens for a Pro-Life Society.  “If I was Planned Parenthood was would be horrified to be associated with them in any way.”

The Satanists issued the following statement about the recent counter-protest:

In response to the nationwide Planned Parenthood protest, members of The Satanic Temple of Detroit crashed the event dressed in bondage fetish wear, baby masks and diapers and engaged in group flagellation.  The performers were then painted gold by adoring fetal idolizers. The action was intended to expose fetal idolatry and the perpetuation of fictional, coercive propaganda against the reproductive health organization.

The Satanic Temple (TST) believes that the anti-choice movement’s obsession with, and mischaracterization of the fetus obscures medical reality and a woman’s constitutional right to choice.  Enlarged images of fetuses which are no larger than an inch and the personalization of mindless, senseless human embryos elevates the fetus to the status of a demigod.

This might not be a popular opinion, but I think you kind of lose the right to complain about one groups theatrics (the pro-lifers) while acting over the top yourself.

This isn't a joke or a theater piece. This is a very real issue of women losing their rights and access to health care.   It should be treated as the horror that it is, and taken very seriously.

I can't be bothered to find this "grotesque" compared to the kind of obscene shit I've seen on the streets outside of one of our local Planned Parenthoods. I've seen some of the vilest images and heard horrible things being screamed not just at women trying to get by (which is bad enough and bordering on harassment) but also at people who are simply driving by! Including me and my kids on one occasion, which left me having to explain why those people were holding up huge signs with bloody pictures of dead body parts and screaming such mean things at them about murdering people.

So no, a counterprotest cannot possibly rise to the level of "grotesque" in my mind. If anything, I'd say the baby costumes border on ridiculous, but the protesters are making a damned good point. These regular PP protesters DO worship fetuses.

While I don't think that what the Satanists did was any more grotesque than what the protesters outside my hospital do on a fairly regular basis (nice weather only!) and is certainly much less grotesque than interfering with a woman's right to medical care, I think this type of thing plays right into the hands of the anti-choicers.  We should be out there protesting the protests but focusing on government interference in what is a medical decision is likely to win us more converts than Satanists dressing up like fetuses.

8 minutes ago, docmom said:

While I don't think that what the Satanists did was any more grotesque than what the protesters outside my hospital do on a fairly regular basis (nice weather only!) and is certainly much less grotesque than interfering with a woman's right to medical care, I think this type of thing plays right into the hands of the anti-choicers.  We should be out there protesting the protests but focusing on government interference in what is a medical decision is likely to win us more converts than Satanists dressing up like fetuses.

This was my initial view, but I think that this desire to be the adult in the conversation is not helping the pro-choice side. We've gotten to a point where people waving signs with aborted fetuses is an acceptable form of discourse, and where propagating medically inaccurate information about pregnancy, abortion, and sex is considered just as "true" as medically accurate information. I hope some of our non-American FJers can answer whether there are American-style abortion protestors in their own countries, but I'm inclined to think it's a uniquely American phenomenon. There is a Planned Parenthood clinic right next to a supermarket where I live, and people just accept the anti-abortion protesters as a part of life, as something you have to endure if you want to go to that supermarket (the protestors will give you literature whether you go to PP or not; everyone who passes by is part of the audience). It's about time we did some agit-prop of our own, and if anti-abortion protestors don't like it, then tough cookies. The First Amendment goes both ways.

7 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I hope some of our non-American FJers can answer whether there are American-style abortion protestors in their own countries, but I'm inclined to think it's a uniquely American phenomenon.

I know that here in Italy there are some Catholic groups that organise prayers and vigils outside of hospitals. But they do just that: pray, sing hymns, hold signs with quotes from the Bible or the saints or the Pope, no shouting, no graphic pics, no addressing of passersby, no theatrics. Maybe it's different here because abortion is seen as a private event that affects only one's conscience and is in no way up for political discussion. As a nation we approved the law on abortion (approved by the Parliament in 1978) with a referendum in 1981.

8 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

This was my initial view, but I think that this desire to be the adult in the conversation is not helping the pro-choice side. We've gotten to a point where people waving signs with aborted fetuses is an acceptable form of discourse, and where propagating medically inaccurate information about pregnancy, abortion, and sex is considered just as "true" as medically accurate information. I hope some of our non-American FJers can answer whether there are American-style abortion protestors in their own countries, but I'm inclined to think it's a uniquely American phenomenon. There is a Planned Parenthood clinic right next to a supermarket where I live, and people just accept the anti-abortion protesters as a part of life, as something you have to endure if you want to go to that supermarket (the protestors will give you literature whether you go to PP or not; everyone who passes by is part of the audience). It's about time we did some agit-prop of our own, and if anti-abortion protestors don't like it, then tough cookies. The First Amendment goes both ways.

MSNBC just put up an article about exporting American-style anti-abortion imagery for protesters around the world.  

Pro-abortion activists, providers and seekers in Finland, Sweden, Slovakia, the Czech Republic, Ireland, England and beyond have been confronted with the same photos of dismembered fetuses as American women from Austin to Buffalo.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/abortion-europe-how-one-american-exports-war-strategy

13 minutes ago, Bethella said:

MSNBC just put up an article about exporting American-style anti-abortion imagery for protesters around the world.  

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/abortion-europe-how-one-american-exports-war-strategy

Quoting from the link:

"Graphic pictures of aborted fetuses, prayer vigils and protesters. It’s no coincidence that the anti-abortion movement looks the same from London to Dublin to Warsaw.

It’s mostly Gregg Cunningham. The California-based activist has been farming out his imagery and strategies to like-minded groups in Europe for more than five years."

I can't find a word to describe this guy. He just woke up one morning and decided to make the life of European women more difficult. What a detestable person.  

The Detroit TST can be kind of extra and cringe-inducing with their trolling sometimes, but those nasty protesters deserve all the annoyance in the world. They're seriously the worst kind of people.

I might see the purpose of a dramatic theatrical counter protest. But that was just stupid. Nobody could tell their purpose until they explained. If you're going to try to showcase how graphic and intrusive the PL protesters are, you could aim to be better at it than they are. At least nobody has to wait five minutes to figure out what the point is. And that guy dancing around in the blue diaper seems to be enjoying himself... a little... too... much. 

To me, their protest could also be seen as scary for women entering PP and frighten them even more, because there are even more loud protesters. And that in itself makes it seem like a bad idea. Showing their idiocy is a great idea, but why not do it by holding signs that say: We love you and support your choice! Or something along these lines. Doing an equally obnoxious and grotesque protest might not be actually supportive for the women entering the clinic. It just seems to be for attention. 

3 hours ago, Iamhispurity said:

To me, their protest could also be seen as scary for women entering PP and frighten them even more, because there are even more loud protesters. And that in itself makes it seem like a bad idea. Showing their idiocy is a great idea, but why not do it by holding signs that say: We love you and support your choice! Or something along these lines. Doing an equally obnoxious and grotesque protest might not be actually supportive for the women entering the clinic. It just seems to be for attention. 

Yeah, that's the problem I have with this. It ultimately seems not at all about the women getting healthcare, who need support and kindness and probably do not want to walk through any more of a circus than they are already forced to. Instead it's all about the Satanists and how clever they are.Take the counter-protest elsewhere. 

• 8 months later...

I don't know a whole lot about the 'Church of Satanism' (?) or what it's all about but I vaguely know it's not 'anti-Christian' in the sense of against love and compassion and for encouraging harm to other beings; it's more against certain elements of organised religion so it's a 'secularist' or rather 'anti-religious religion'. 

As I've said on another forum, I think the new 'buffer zone' laws enacted in some US states would help as it would mean women could go for abortions without harassment i.e. protests could only protest in certain areas so as not to disrupt other people and also the areas would be significantly far away so as not to offend people who don't wan to listen: freedom of expression doesn't mean other people have to listen to you if they don't want to. 

Archived