IGNORED

RIP Prince (Merged)

47of74

Rest in peace Prince. You were legend, and your legacy will live on.

• Upvote 1

I've always loved Prince. When the Four were little, I'd play his music blasting while they were at school... I just didn't want to explain Mommy singing "Sexy Muthafucka" when they couldn't say bad words.... This year is sucky with death. No more, please.

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Like @Fundie Bunny said, there were some blind items about a popular African American celebrity (not Magic Johnson) suffering from full blown AIDS. Assuming Prince was the subject and the BI is true, I wonder if that's why he became a Jehovah's Witness, as some sort of way to make up for a crazy sexual history that he came to regret.

I had always thought he was raised JW until I just did a quick Google search. Apparently he was brought up SDA.

I remember hearing a few years ago that he had a lot of hip issues (and there are several photos of him walking with a cane, and not a fancy accessory one, but an actual medical type cane) but he allegedly wouldn't get a hip replacement because he couldn't have a blood transfusion. 

Added: This is an interesting/entertaining video of Kevin Smith talking about his experience with Prince and his religion. I think it gives some insight into Prince and his life in his later days.

Edited by nausicaa
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, roddma said:

I'm still dumbfounded. He put the 8 in the 80's. He grew up  SDA, but did he convert?

The SDA and the JWs are sort of like "cousins" in that they both grew out of the Millerite movement, so I can see why Prince would be interested in the JWs, which began as a reform movement within the larger Adventist movement:

http://www.patheos.com/Library/Lenses/Side-By-Side?path1=x1574&path2=x1853&path3=

• Upvote 2

The title indicates this is a merged thread, I have searched and searched, I can't find the merged threads.

So very sad, Prince was a true musical genius.

Another childhood icon gone.  :my_cry: Delirious, Baby I'm A Star, & Raspberry Beret are my favorite Prince songs.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ALM7 said:

The title indicates this is a merged thread, I have searched and searched, I can't find the merged threads.

I'm sorry, the italicized comment is confusing to me.

If you mean you can't pick out which post is from where - at least FIVE different threads were started about this.  For the most part, helpmeets saw them before they got more than one or two posts long and so no "separate but merged" can be identified.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, ALM7 said:

You can't find them because they are all merged into this one thread.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

I'm sorry, the italicized comment is confusing to me.

If you mean you can't pick out which post is from where - at least FIVE different threads were started about this.  For the most part, helpmeets saw them before they got more than one or two posts long and so no "separate but merged" can be identified.

Ahh, now I see, a merge is a merge of all the matter of subject. I thought maybe there were other related merged threads I wasn't finding.  You would think after 11 months I would have the logistics figured out lol, I'm new to everything on forums, slowly but surely I'm figuring it out.  Thank you for the reply @SpoonfulOSugar, and have a great day!

• Upvote 2

This was posted earlier and it resonated a bit with me and I thought people might want to discuss it. It can be moved to it's own thread if need be. 

This has been a tough year for celebrity deaths — and a sad week for fans of Prince, who died Thursday at age 57. But as flashes of purple filled my social media feeds from friends mourning Prince's death, I just felt numb — and like an outsider, watching a ritual I couldn't fully join.

That's because I grew up in a conservative evangelical home in the Midwest in the 1980s and '90s, with pop culture kept carefully at arm's length. We were told — at my charismatic church where the faithful "spoke in tongues" and believed in miracles, and at my strict Christian school where girls wore skirts below the knees every day — that rock 'n' roll was "the devil's music."

After a decade-plus of adult life on my own, I've learned to blend in, to laugh off the references I don't get, to shake off the embarrassment about not really knowing much about evolution or falling silent when friends swap prom stories (no dancing at my high school). But this week brought back some of the old feelings of isolation that I first felt in the workplace and around peers from outside my evangelical cocoon — a sense of being out of place and maybe not quite right.

More at the source: NPR

• Upvote 2

The Broadway cast of The Color Purple did a poignant tribute. Cynthia Erivo & Jennifer Hudson went IN and took us to church.

https://youtu.be/W6KUTL0PXl0

Edited by Geechee Girl
inserting proper link
  • Upvote 3

23 hours ago, purple_summer said:

This was posted earlier and it resonated a bit with me and I thought people might want to discuss it. It can be moved to it's own thread if need be. 

More at the source: NPR

YES! That's exactly how I feel sometimes. I grew up in a culture very similar to that. I do know some of his songs because I had a little bit of freedom to listen to some pop  music in the 90's and married at 19. There are a lot of things I still feel like I'm catching up on. I never saw "Dirty Dancing" until a couple years ago! Haha

• Upvote 1

Google gives me this on cremation for JWs.

As Witnesses believe in spiritual rather than physical resurrection, the faith does not have any prohibitions against cremation.

The question regarding whether cremation is a permissible practice for Jehovah’s Witnesses (or for Christianity at large) was answered in the June 2014 edition of Watchtower Magazine as follows: “Scriptures do not present any basic objection to the practice of cremation…The Scriptural hope for the dead is the resurrection—God’s restoration of the person to life. Whether a dead person is cremated or not, Jehovah is not limited in his ability to restore the person to life with a new body.”

The article continued, “Christians do well to take into consideration social norms, local sentiments, and legal requirements regarding the disposition of dead bodies. (2 Cor. 6:3, 4) Then, whether the body of a deceased person is to be cremated or not is a personal or family decision.”

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Snarkylark said:

YES! That's exactly how I feel sometimes. I grew up in a culture very similar to that. I do know some of his songs because I had a little bit of freedom to listen to some pop  music in the 90's and married at 19. There are a lot of things I still feel like I'm catching up on. I never saw "Dirty Dancing" until a couple years ago! Haha

My parents listened to Prince but they thought it was too mature for me as a kid. By the time I was "old enough" we had gone fundie.

1 hour ago, purple_summer said:

My parents listened to Prince but they thought it was too mature for me as a kid. By the time I was "old enough" we had gone fundie.

Well, that were probably right, depending on how old you were.  Haha Some of his stuff is a little risqué!

Prince's Purple Rain soundtrack - specifically the song Darling Nikki is what helped bring about the PMRC (Parents Music Resource Council) seemingly led by one Tipper Gore.  This led to Senate hearings (hello Al Gore) and the record industry labeling explicit music.  (all because Tipper's daughter wanted the soundtrack and Tipper wasn't bright enough to vet the music first).  Among the acts attacked by the hearings/PMRC was.... John Denver (Rocky Mountain High you know).  

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty sure that rating system helped artists. I remember wanting anything with an M on it.

Still can't stand Tipper to do this day because of it. She originally wanted the ratings system to describe what exactly was explicit about the album, including a label for "occult." Still don't know what the hell that means...

And good for John Denver for standing up to it, even thought it wouldn't have affected his music. And I liked Dee Snider for telling them off when they implied things about his personal life. 

• Upvote 3