IGNORED

RIP Prince (Merged)

47of74

RIP Prince.

nydailynews.com/entertainment/prince-dead-57-music-legend-found-estate-article-1.2610011

Prince, the multi-talented musical genius who emerged from Minneapolis to become a controversial chart-topping singer/songwriter and movie star, died Thursday.

The 57-year-old Prince was hospitalized last week with the flu, sparking rumors about his health. But the iconic musician appeared at a Paisley Park dance party last Saturday to quiet the speculation.

His death was first reported by TMZ.

“Wait a few days before you waste any prayers,” Prince told the fans at his Minnesapolis estate.

Holy shit!!! I just heard about this. :(

Looks like I'll be blasting Purple Rain when I get home.

I was taking a nap and suddenly got a bunch of texts from different people telling me this. It is known I am a fan. I was hoping it was a hoax, but nope. So sad :( 

• Upvote 2

I just heard this when the news broke in on a TV program the headship was watching. :(:(:(

So damned sad. He was way too young to leave us.

• Upvote 2

I am in absolute shock.  His music is what kept me sane through my teenage years.  They're playing "7" at my daughter's wedding because it symbolizes for my daughters and I our bond.  I don't even know how to process this.  :my_cry:

• Upvote 3

It's just so sad. I've recently heard some roumors that he might have had aids, and the reports just seem to confirm this. It's terrible to hear someone dies of a condition apparently as simple as it is the flu

• SpoonfulOSugar pinned this topic

Crying purple tears here. Damn. Too many deaths lately. Prince is part of the soundtrack of my college days.

The Current out of Mpls has got a tribute going on, you can listen online: http://www.thecurrent.org/  They are playing his albums in chronological order. Crying and dancing at the same time.

Edited by Florita
Correction albums not hits
  • Upvote 1

Quite crushed from hearing this news. It is slowly settling in that it is real, I was determined to believe at first it was one of those awful stupid internet hoax things. So many favourite songs.

I have not listened to music much since going deaf in last few years (took a lot of coming to terms with emotionally and adjusting to hearing aids etc) but I think tonight I will be playing a few of my much loved faves of his. Purple Rain is one of my all time faves ever of anyone. Others like Diamonds and Pearls, Kiss ... actually I can't think of them,  I'm blank, my mind is too frazzled.

I am not a Sinead O Connor fan, but the song Nothing Compares 2 U is something special, the lyrics so beautiful. I believe Prince was the one who wrote this ( I hope I am not wrong stating this).

• Upvote 1

I couldn't believe it when I got the news alert while on my run today.  So freaking sad.

• Upvote 2

I remember reading about how people in Minneapolis would be evangelized by Prince. Even though he was Prince, he was also a Jehovah's Witness and continued to go door to door like a normal person. 

Other than that, I had no idea so many of my facebook friend were such big fans. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

It's just so sad. I've recently heard some roumors that he might have had aids, and the reports just seem to confirm this. It's terrible to hear someone dies of a condition apparently as simple as it is the flu

You'd be surprised how many people die from the flu, even in supposedly industrialized nations. In the US, it's 36,000 people every year. It's the number eight leading cause of death (it's grouped along with pneumonia):

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

My first thought when I heard Prince had died was that perhaps his Jehovah's Witness faith had caused him to make some questionable health-related decisions. I guess we'll find out when the coroner's report comes out.

• Upvote 3

Rest in peace.  

2016 has been a terrible year for loss in the music industry.

• Upvote 2

This is so sad. I don't think people realize the full impact Prince had on popular music. Seems like he wrote almost every hit song in the 80s  

I doubt we will see another like him. I'm wondering what's hidden in his vault. Apparently there's a lot of songs and music videos he'd record for fun and then put away. There's probably enough to sustain generations. 

• Upvote 2

RIP PRINCE.
I started listening to his music when I was 10 or 11 years old. I LOVED the music from Purple Rain. I was so shocked to read that he died. 

He was one of those artists who I never especially liked, but I could recognize and appreciate his talent in spite of that. I did get to see him in 83 or 84 at Radio City and he certainly put on an unforgettable show. He influenced many and will be missed. RIP

Like @Fundie Bunny said, there were some blind items about a popular African American celebrity (not Magic Johnson) suffering from full blown AIDS. Assuming Prince was the subject and the BI is true, I wonder if that's why he became a Jehovah's Witness, as some sort of way to make up for a crazy sexual history that he came to regret.

• Upvote 2

Niagara Falls is awash in purple lights tonight, pre-planned to honour of the Queen's birthday.  It has now become a salute to Prince also.  Touching sight.  

image.jpeg

• Upvote 16

February 3rd may be the day the music died but 2016 is shaping up to be the year the music died. :tw_bawling:

FB_IMG_1461306295314.jpg

• Upvote 10