IGNORED

Counting on- Part 7: Counting on Cancellation

samurai_sarah

1 hour ago, FreeJana said:

I know you didn't mean your comment in a creepy way but I have to say, the one thing that makes me uncomfortable in this show (for some reason) is their relationship. The way she built him up in the interview, the way she acted all nervous around him when explaining the tree fort idea, the way the twin boys explained that all girls cut hair but JD would only go to Jana? Did anyone else pick up something strange or am I losing my mind? 

I think Jana at the very least has the more outside contact. Between Pinterest, people pointing out that she doesn't shove her family's  pro-life or anti-gay ways down anyone's throat, the words she uses now vs how she used to speak and how the others speak i.e. "Not a fan of.…" as one of the most recent. She always seems to have this "I know something you don't know" look about her. I'm hoping she flies away soon.

Again, maybe watching this show is causing me to lose my mind but just a few thoughts/observations. 

I don't find their relationship creepy at all really. Especially since they are twins. It makes sense that they would have a close bond.

I'm sure if Jana was allowed to be on Instagram or Twitter, we'd hear her spouting the same anti-gay and pro-life stuff as the rest of the Duggar clan.

I'd like to think some of the kids may break away and be different. But I don't really think it's going to happen. At least not in the next decade or so.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FreeJana said:

I know you didn't mean your comment in a creepy way but I have to say, the one thing that makes me uncomfortable in this show (for some reason) is their relationship. The way she built him up in the interview, the way she acted all nervous around him when explaining the tree fort idea, the way the twin boys explained that all girls cut hair but JD would only go to Jana? Did anyone else pick up something strange or am I losing my mind? 

I think Jana at the very least has the more outside contact. Between Pinterest, people pointing out that she doesn't shove her family's  pro-life or anti-gay ways down anyone's throat, the words she uses now vs how she used to speak and how the others speak i.e. "Not a fan of.…" as one of the most recent. She always seems to have this "I know something you don't know" look about her. I'm hoping she flies away soon.

Again, maybe watching this show is causing me to lose my mind but just a few thoughts/observations. 

Hon, I think we're all in for a big surprise and rude awakening when she finds her "ideal hardworking man." And with her specifically (in my opinion she's not a koolaid drinker but a CHUGGER), it's probably going to be the worst out of the married Duggar sisters for their stance on issues like abortion and homosexuality. 

39 minutes ago, boston2495 said:

Seriously! The whole time I was watching this, I kept thinking, four of the five girls on this trip share a bedroom, and the fifth one never seems far off anyway. All their talk about not getting to spend as much time together as they would like made zero sense. They share. A bedroom. I didn't think it's literally possible for them to spend any *more* time together, or to "miss" each other's company for that matter...

TLC either has no sense of irony or they just don't care what they throw at the audience.

In the bear cabin, everyone but Jessa had a ton more individual space than they do at home. That was probably the best part of the fake vacation for them. 

6 hours ago, albanuadh_1 said:

damn post got lost in the transfer. About Jana and husband: 1) perhaps she doesn't believe she could have a life of her own outside of the marriage; 2) she is like Jill and wants hubby around 24/7 although she doesn't strike me that way; 3) she enjoys outdoor work and is tired of being Cinderella; 4) she prefers someone like JD ( I don't mean that in a creepy way!) and 4) she wants someone polar opposite to Josh!

Jana wanting an outdoor guy or guy to work beside. This is the only way she can run a business or have a job or do anything except childcare and housework. And, honestly? A lot of people run businesses together--some may not seem important, but  look at it this way--if hubby was a lawyer out on his own and she wanted to become his paralegal she could. If he was a dentist and she ran the office no one would find it odd. Michelle, for all that i loathe her and the green shirt that won't die, did go out and tow cars, sometimes with kids along. I think she's just saying she knows there'll be a family business in there and she's all for it. She's a country girl and wants that too. I don't see anything weird about that. Now Jinger supposedly wanting to live in a city--Go for it girl, but if it's not for you don't be ashamed, just move somewhere smaller.

13 minutes ago, AnnaRuk09 said:

No, I think it's just their "culture." Look at their rules--Always Give a Good Report on someone. He's her twin. I think that IS a special thing. He IS hardworking. While I don't get into practical jokes and that side of him, I think he is a good man. Not an educated man, but I think he's good. I think his anger at Josh is real. I think the rest of it is crap for tv. Jana doesn't seem to like on tv. The hair cut thing. Let's face it, some of us CAN cut hair and some really, really, really shouldn't. It's like going to Great Clips and just knowing not to take that one stylist.

This family is artificial in almost every possible way because they are not allowed to have real feelings (except the men ARE allowed to have lust for their wives.)  So you have an artificial family with no introspection or inquisitiveness and then TLC ciomes along and adds ANOTHER level of artificialness on top.  No wonder the show is deadly dull.  It's like starting with Tatertot casserole-- a food that is already bland and chock full of fake food-- and taking out everything that makes it taste good, all of the salt and fat, and replacing them with cardboard and pine mulch.  You would be left with a senseless, tasteless mush-- just like the Counting On show.

My own theory as to who is watching: Nursing Homes for the elderly.  The staff turns it on and the poor blind and deaf old folks with short term memory loss just keep watching because they aren't allowed to touch the remotes.  Also prisons.  Especially prisons for the Criminally Insane.  Counting On is shown on continuous loop as punishment.  "All right, Edgar, throw your food on the floor one more time and you get the Counting On treatment for 24 hours!"

4 minutes ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

My own theory as to who is watching: Nursing Homes for the elderly.  The staff turns it on and the poor blind and deaf old folks with short term memory loss just keep watching because they aren't allowed to touch the remotes.  Also prisons.  Especially prisons for the Criminally Insane.  Counting On is shown on continuous loop as punishment.  "All right, Edgar, throw your food on the floor one more time and you get the Counting On treatment for 24 hours!"

No--they made fun of them in prison I hear from someone who got out last year. Big time making fun of all of it.

They share a bedroom with 6 year olds. Maybe they wanted some "adult" time away from their kids.

53 minutes ago, AnnaRuk09 said:

Hon, I think we're all in for a big surprise and rude awakening when she finds her "ideal hardworking man." And with her specifically (in my opinion she's not a koolaid drinker but a CHUGGER), it's probably going to be the worst out of the married Duggar sisters for their stance on issues like abortion and homosexuality. 

This. This. This. 

I've mentioned it before but I honestly see Jana staying in Gothardism the most out of all the adult J'kids. Jessa and Jill will make some adaptations to their lifestyles, maybe even going fundie-lite (Jessa more than Jill). I mean we can see it happening already. Jessa letting music that has a *gasp* beat into her household and Jill/Derick mentioning Izzy will become Pistol Pete one day....meaning they will let him attend a legitimate university. Didn't Derick/Jill attend a secular wedding after they got married? I  know they believe their husbands are the headships and whatever they say goes but THEY chose to court guys who weren't fundamentalists. Jana  will be marry a guy who grew up fundamentalist, I almost guarantee it.  

Jana still won't get a lot of hate though because many of us have a soft spot for her. We will always see her as CinderJana. Hell, Jessa can turn into a mainstream Christian and get more backlash than Major Fundie Jana.

2 hours ago, snickerz said:

I thought it was funny that Jana said something like how she would love to spend more sister time in the future, but NOT a whole weekend - more like going out for coffee! LOL, in other words, she was NOT enjoying being stuck with them for a whole weekend. And I can NOT see her on a farm. Farm work is sun up to sun down, exhausting, dirty work. Jana likes to look nice, and have things "just so" Perhaps a "gentleman farmer" who has some acreage with a few cows grazing and horses to ride, but has another income source.   Also, I think JD might be the next to court. He's talked several times recently about his future family.

Oh god, I just had a vision....Jana is going to be portrayed as the next Pioneer Woman! 

A lot of people have commented that most of the girls share a bedroom and they are together all the time...

But there are oodles of young kids still in the house. And these are the sister moms we are talking about. Maybe this is one of the only ways they can spend REAL time together without having to chase around little ones. 

Not defending them.. because I'd think it would be sad if that's the only time they can get together.

3 hours ago, JenniferJuniper said:

Agree. She doesn't know any guys who work in normal accounting or law offices.  Her perception has been shaped by those she knows from Gothardism with David Waller being the poster boy for the ATI princes.   Effete, self-absorbed, never actually gets anything accomplished.  And then there is lazy-ass Josh, who weaseled his way into a 6 figure no-heavy-lifting position only to find himself with plenty of time on his hands to do bad things.

This!  And Jana also said something to the effect that she wanted someone who "works hard", in the context of 'people who work in offices DON'T work hard'.  I wish I could remember the exact quote, but that was the takeaway.
I was offended.  I work in an office, and I work hard.  Maybe not physically, but the stress is killer.  My Dad supported our family doing an office job, that I still believe drove him to an early grave.
These girls, whether it was something that was taught by JB, or their observations of people like their brother, have come to the conclusion that if you work at a desk, it's not hard.  Very telling I thought, and many conclusions could be derived by that.  For instance:  Does JB disparage office-workers to his children to make himself look better and harder-working?

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

They share a bedroom with 6 year olds. Maybe they wanted some "adult" time away from their kids.

This is a legitimate argument, and even if they're parroting the same ol' ratings bait they always are, it must be nice for them to get away from the howlers and lost girls even for a few days. It always makes me so sad that they can't just be typical 18-30 year olds. 

21 minutes ago, Tim-Tom Biblethumper said:

This!  And Jana also said something to the effect that she wanted someone who "works hard", in the context of 'people who work in offices DON'T work hard'.  I wish I could remember the exact quote, but that was the takeaway.
I was offended.  I work in an office, and I work hard.  Maybe not physically, but the stress is killer.  My Dad supported our family doing an office job, that I still believe drove him to an early grave.
These girls, whether it was something that was taught by JB, or their observations of people like their brother, have come to the conclusion that if you work at a desk, it's not hard.  Very telling I thought, and many conclusions could be derived by that.  For instance:  Does JB disparage office-workers to his children to make himself look better and harder-working?

It's funny because people like the Duggars and Bateseseses seem to be all about doing as little work as possible. They are so freaking delusional.

8 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

It's funny because people like the Duggars and Bateseseses seem to be all about doing as little work as possible. They are so freaking delusional.

Converting the heathens is hard work, what a blessing they are. ;) 

'Walking through' is the new 'Season of Life.'

Is 'Walking through a new Season of Life' a post count or thread title yet? I think it should be.

I think part of her criteria for working hard was "dirt under his nails".  My husband often has dirt under his nails as a result of his slaving away in the asphalt jungle writing computer code.:pb_biggrin:

9 hours ago, albanuadh_1 said:

damn post got lost in the transfer. About Jana and husband: 1) perhaps she doesn't believe she could have a life of her own outside of the marriage; 2) she is like Jill and wants hubby around 24/7 although she doesn't strike me that way; 3) she enjoys outdoor work and is tired of being Cinderella; 4) she prefers someone like JD ( I don't mean that in a creepy way!) and 4) she wants someone polar opposite to Josh!

Didn't watch the show, but-

#4 and #4 are my vote. Maybe she sees JD as a down-to-earth kind of person, which would be the polar opposite of Josh and JB.

4 hours ago, FreeJana said:

Honestly, I think it's a twin thing. I'm a twin and my relationship with my sister is a lot closer than my other friends and their siblings. It's kind of like you're one person sometimes, in two bodies. Judging from the Talking Heads, Jana and JD seem a lot quieter than their crazy, loud, chaotic family. I can see why they would be closer with each other than with Jill or Jessa (who would irritate the crap out of me). I think in a family where all of the other sibling relationships seem strained and weird, Jana and JD's close relationship seems creepy by comparison.

2 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

No, I think it's just their "culture." Look at their rules--Always Give a Good Report on someone. He's her twin. I think that IS a special thing. He IS hardworking. While I don't get into practical jokes and that side of him, I think he is a good man. Not an educated man, but I think he's good. I think his anger at Josh is real. I think the rest of it is crap for tv. Jana doesn't seem to like on tv. The hair cut thing. Let's face it, some of us CAN cut hair and some really, really, really shouldn't. It's like going to Great Clips and just knowing not to take that one stylist.

Sorry I didn't intend to hint at some weird, incestuous going-on between Jana and John David, I think what I'm picking up on is just the awkwardness of not being allowed to have a normal sibling-relationship with your brother. I feel brothers and sisters are really divided up in the Duggar family after a certain age and their interactions are probably monitored as well.

My 2 cents on the episode:

1. The babies are so frikkin cute! Spurgeon's cheeks!

2. Anna was choking up when talking about Josh. But she didn't just start talking about him - she was asked by Jessa. But I agree it's really weird to think about their relationship when the sisters he abused are right there in the room.

3. These girls are beautiful, but Joy is a real stunner!

4. Can they SHUT UP about relationships and babies and marriages already?! STAWP! Joy is 18, thats just creepy and crazy to think she "could be married" in 6 months. I love Anna, but I feel she really wants to prove herself to be 110% devoted christian and in the process putting a lot of pressure on these girls. It's really over the top to the point that she doesn't even seem happy about the girls "being ready for marriage" but almost kind of frantic about it.

5. I also wonder why Joy was visibly upset during dinner? She wasn't crying with laughter, she was clearly upset about something.

6. This must be the most boring girl's weekend I've ever witnessed. I'd love to treat the duggar sisters to a girl's night out with me and my sister, although I'm sure it would ruin their wholesome image forever. Last time we discussed ugly penises and the very real possibility that both me and my sister were results of one-night stands (we have different fathers and none of us have any real contact with them).

7. I totally agree about the level of "fakeness"  (is that even a word? English isn't my 1st language :/) in the production. Very few things don't seem scripted or ingenuine. They're like talking parrots sometimes with the phrases they're blabbering on about. It's a totally different take on the religious theme than "Breaking amish" for example. I wonder why TLC can't include more of a critical stance on the girls lives? Or not even critical, just a bit more non-fundie in their interview-questions. But I'm guessing it has to do with the girls' safety and they are always responsible about whay they say and saying something wrong will have repercussions. I just hope the mere presence of the TV-team is benefiting these girls socially anyway.

7 minutes ago, MargaretElliott said:

Honestly, I think it's a twin thing. I'm a twin and my relationship with my sister is a lot closer than my other friends and their siblings. It's kind of like you're one person sometimes, in two bodies. Judging from the Talking Heads, Jana and JD seem a lot quieter than their crazy, loud, chaotic family. I can see why they would be closer with each other than with Jill or Jessa (who would irritate the crap out of me). I think in a family where all of the other sibling relationships seem strained and weird, Jana and JD's close relationship seems creepy by comparison.

Well put. 

My thoughts on the latest episode:

Anna, again with the "do the next right thing" - it's clear that she has been heavily instilled with this. To Anna, the "right" thing is always right by God, even if she really wants to run away from the situation, she HAS to do the "right" thing and stay.

I hate the scenes with the Dillards. I couldn't care less about seeing what they're up to or what their mini JB baby is doing, and I love babies.

Joy took several digs about their fashion. The prairie bags - I mean - dresses, then moving on to more "normal" ish clothes, not liking to wear dresses. Give that girl a pair of jeans and call it a day!

Jana and her hard working man. Jana wants a Chad Paine. She wants a relationship like Erin and Chad have, not one like David and Priscilla have.

I do predict she will end up with a Brandon Keilen though.

I had to laugh at Jess eating all of that food. Good for her!

I'm actually really liking JD in this series, I think he's a good guy and works hard. He also has a sense of humour.

30 minutes ago, MargaretElliott said:

I don't know whether their relationship is creepy. But it is, at least, surprising to see Jana and JD actually seated together on several occasions, talking about the same topics in response to questioning. We've seldom, if ever, seen that in the past. Perhaps that's why some people are disturbed by it.

If i had to guess, I'd speculate that after Josh's molestations, Jana and JD were kept rather strictly separate from each other--despite being twins.

40 minutes ago, actuallyjessica said:

Jana and her hard working man. Jana wants a Chad Paine. She wants a relationship like Erin and Chad have, not one like David and Priscilla have.

Oh man, you're probably right. Erin hit the fundie lottery. That's what she wants.

28 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Oh man, you're probably right. Erin hit the fundie lottery. That's what she wants.

Some people have speculated that Jana set her cap on Chad or felt attracted to him, but he went with Erin.  However, I don't know that there is much to suggest that Jana even knew Chad before he and Erin got married.   

In a different line, as for Joy and dresses, I think it's partially a fit thing.  All the oldest 4 Duggar girls share a build, and therefore were always able to share clothes.  This became the norm.  Joy, however, has a very different build than her sisters.  The eldest 4 are all incredibly petite.  Not just thin, but petitely built.  Joy is not petite.  She's not overweight by any means, she's just not built as daintily as her sisters.  

I think it's probably easier for her to share shirts and skirts with her sisters, but not dresses.  It's the same for my sis and I.  She is very petite, and we can share shirts and skirts, but there is no way we can fit into each other's dresses!

2 hours ago, Georgiana said:

In a different line, as for Joy and dresses, I think it's partially a fit thing.  All the oldest 4 Duggar girls share a build, and therefore were always able to share clothes.  This became the norm.  Joy, however, has a very different build than her sisters.  The eldest 4 are all incredibly petite.  Not just thin, but petitely built.  Joy is not petite.  She's not overweight by any means, she's just not built as daintily as her sisters.  

I think it's probably easier for her to share shirts and skirts with her sisters, but not dresses.  It's the same for my sis and I.  She is very petite, and we can share shirts and skirts, but there is no way we can fit into each other's dresses!

While that may be somewhat true (my sister and I look drastically different as well, in height and build), I think it could be partially because Joy was always a tomboy growing up and was never allowed to experiment with her clothes and wear what makes her personally comfortable, and that's a damn shame.  There's nothing inherently wrong with skirts and dresses, but I think it would be awful to be forced to wear them all the time.  My sister was always a tomboy, with short hair and pants and I was girly, my mum never stopped us from dressing how we were comfortable, when I watch this show I realize just how lucky I am. 

• SpoonfulOSugar pinned this topic

Archived