Jump to content
IGNORED

Upcoming book about an anti-woman dystopian world--with rules taken from current fundamentalists


Rachel333
 Share

Recommended Posts

This seems pretty interesting to me, and relevant to what we discuss here. Like the author, it bothers me to see young women distancing themselves from feminism, so I hope this does help to shine light on abusive, misogynist practices that are happening right now.

http://nytlive.nytimes.com/womenintheworld/2016/04/19/novelist-creates-a-dystopian-world-for-girls-inspired-by-homegrown-fundamentalism/

  • Upvote 15
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On my goodreads list now.

I can't wait to read this. It sounds like a YA slightly-different version of The Handmaid's Tale. Atwood took all of her ideas from what was taking place in the culture at the time, and just extrapolated out. And I think Atwood was trying to draw attention to precisely what this author is talking about: despite what people think, the US is totally vulnerable to this kind of right-wing takeover.

We've been seeing it for at least the last 20 years as dominionists and fundamentalists try to take over school boards, local governments, wings of the federal government, etc.

  • Upvote 14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the recommendation! Just finished this book. It was full of interesting concepts, but could have been stronger in terms of character development and world building. Maybe the sequels will pull that into better focus. That said, I'm donating it to a jr. High school library - hopefully it will be illuminating to some of the students.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2016 at 9:14 PM, EyeQueue said:

On my goodreads list now.

I can't wait to read this. It sounds like a YA slightly-different version of The Handmaid's Tale. Atwood took all of her ideas from what was taking place in the culture at the time, and just extrapolated out. And I think Atwood was trying to draw attention to precisely what this author is talking about: despite what people think, the US is totally vulnerable to this kind of right-wing takeover.

We've been seeing it for at least the last 20 years as dominionists and fundamentalists try to take over school boards, local governments, wings of the federal government, etc.

 

I have said it a dozen times recently:  I feel like The Handmaid's Tale is actually starting to come true.  I fully expect Donald Trump to advocate packing all the old crones like me off to "the colonies" and exchanging all the women left in America with Eastern European models.  

  • Upvote 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/6/2016 at 11:57 AM, QuiverDance said:

I have said it a dozen times recently:  I feel like The Handmaid's Tale is actually starting to come true.  I fully expect Donald Trump to advocate packing all the old crones like me off to "the colonies" and exchanging all the women left in America with Eastern European models.  

Yep. Sadly.

When Atwood wrote it, she based everything off of things that were happening in the world at the time, only turned the volume up on it. If I remember correctly, she kept a scrapbook of news clippings.

It's so sad that however many years down the line (20+, I think), we haven't advanced from that and if anything freedoms relating to women are being walked back or eroded.

  • Upvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I read this book thanks to this thread.  I enjoyed it, but agree with a previous poster that it could have been stronger on character development and word building.  However, I'm eager for the sequels.

 

I too fear the The Handmaid's Tale is coming soon to the U.S.A. and it scares me.  I'm past child-bearing age so I would be an Unwoman or a Betty, my oldest would be a Handmaid, my second may or may not be a Handmaid due to medical issues, my son would end up in the Angles or the Eye, and my baby girl at the tender age of 8 would be ripped away from be, because her father and I are divorced.  It scares me to no end.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gellhorn said:

Is it something like "The Gate to Women's Country" by Sheri S. Teper?

I've never met anyone else who has read this book! I accidentally stumbled upon it years ago and it's stayed with me, even more so than The Handmaid's Tale. I asked my husband to read it because I badly needed to discuss it with someone. He's a good egg.

It's as chilling as Atwood's book, but I appreciated how women used their wits to improve their living conditions within the confines of a patriarchal dystopian society. This book crosses my mind often, especially when I've spent some time reading various threads on FJ.

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Season of life... said:

I've never met anyone else who has read this book! I accidentally stumbled upon it years ago and it's stayed with me, even more so than The Handmaid's Tale. I asked my husband to read it because I badly needed to discuss it with someone. He's a good egg.

It's as chilling as Atwood's book, but I appreciated how women used their wits to improve their living conditions within the confines of a patriarchal dystopian society. This book crosses my mind often, especially when I've spent some time reading various threads on FJ.

 

It's stuck with me more than Atwood too.  I've read Atwood but mostly because I'm supposed to than because I relate to any of her characters or get any pleasure out of doing so.  With the exception of one book she wrote, The Robber Bride.  That one I do enjoy.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, ohSparkly1 said:

I read this book thanks to this thread.  I enjoyed it, but agree with a previous poster that it could have been stronger on character development and word building.  However, I'm eager for the sequels.

(snip)

I also read the book thanks to this thread. Agree with your criticisms. Quite a few things were badly explained, or given a "blink and you'll miss it" explanation. While the read kept me hooked, I got the feeling that it was too ambitious for its execution.

Granted, we are supposed to see the world as the protagonist experiences it, but that made for some rather shaky world-building. I would have liked a better explanation for what the faith is all about. It would have lent context. But I suppose the sequels will answer that.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On July 24, 2016 at 4:42 AM, samurai_sarah said:

I also read the book thanks to this thread. Agree with your criticisms. Quite a few things were badly explained, or given a "blink and you'll miss it" explanation. While the read kept me hooked, I got the feeling that it was too ambitious for its execution.

Granted, we are supposed to see the world as the protagonist experiences it, but that made for some rather shaky world-building. I would have liked a better explanation for what the faith is all about. It would have lent context. But I suppose the sequels will answer that.

 

I certainly hope they do.  I'm totally into dystopian novels right  now.  Any other recommendations would be greatly enjoyed!

On July 23, 2016 at 8:55 PM, Gellhorn said:

Is it something like "The Gate to Women's Country" by Sheri S. Teper?

I just downloaded this one. I guess I know what I'll be doing tonight! :) 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, ohSparkly1 said:

I just downloaded this one. I guess I know what I'll be doing tonight!

I hope you'll enjoy it.  If not, well, it's another book read and that is rarely a bad way to spend two hours or so.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Gellhorn said:

I hope you'll enjoy it.  If not, well, it's another book read and that is rarely a bad way to spend two hours or so.

I'm over half-way done right now.  Highly enjoyable.  I never have as much time to read as I want.

When I travel for work and it's a short overnight trip, I need 2-3 books. A week-long trip is 7-8.  I forgo sleep when I travel just so I can read.  The TV usually doesn't come on, except maybe for VERY soft background noise.  I love my books.  So very much. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/24/2016 at 0:00 AM, Season of life... said:

I've never met anyone else who has read this book! I accidentally stumbled upon it years ago and it's stayed with me, even more so than The Handmaid's Tale. I asked my husband to read it because I badly needed to discuss it with someone. He's a good egg.

It's as chilling as Atwood's book, but I appreciated how women used their wits to improve their living conditions within the confines of a patriarchal dystopian society. This book crosses my mind often, especially when I've spent some time reading various threads on FJ.

 

Someone gave me a copy of Tepper's book years ago, and it has stayed with me. It's been years since I last read it, so my memories may be a bit off, but one thing that reminds me of Free Jinger fundies is the names given to the religious folk: Retribution, Resolution, and Diligence for some of the men, for example. 

Another thing is how it seems years of SOTDRT has had an effect on the overall wisdom or intelligence of the group, ignorance passing on ignorance to further generations. 

 

And the genetic disorders from generations of incest...so many parallels to our FJ fundies. 

 

Sorry if these are spoilers...

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

FYI, the Kindle version of this book is 99 cents on Amazon. I can't wait to read it. I also requested The Gate Women's Country from the library.

I read The Handmaid's Tale as a teenager and several times since and it's just chilling. It scared the hell out of me when W was president and it seems like things have gotten even more vocal since then.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share



  • Recent Status Updates

    • Chocolate Lover

      Chocolate Lover

      Yes, it's oral thrush!  Treating it with miconazole gel 4 times a day.  Whoever decided to flavour it chocolate orange is a flipping genius!
      Also needing 1 litre of electrolyte solution per day because my steroid load is killing my levels.  Tomorrow's the last day of prednisolone, thank goodness.  Fingers crossed it's done the job, because I'm still having the occasional wobble with breathing. 
      I see the practice nurse on Monday. 
      · 0 replies
    • Destiny

      Destiny

      The fact that RTD is coming back to Doctor Who has made my day. Hell, it made my whole fucking week. I CAN'T WAIT TO LOVE MY SHOW AGAIN!
      · 0 replies
    • feministxtian

      feministxtian

      Ever been mansplained and it pissed you off so bad that you just want to bitchslap any poor man who might cross your path? 
      · 2 replies
    • Destiny

      Destiny

      I'm not able to update the logos to the fall ones today -- there's a bug that is solved in a recent update version to fix it, but I don't have the time to do that until next week. Until then, we are still living in an endless summer friends! 
      · 0 replies
    • feministxtian

      feministxtian

      Today is a "I ain't wearing pants" day. Yesterday was pretty shitty so today I'm doing as little as I can get away with. 
      · 0 replies
    • WannabeHistorian

      WannabeHistorian

      Second Covid vax is currently kicking my butt. Fever, chills, body aches, exhaustion, etc. 
      Miserable, but so so grateful to be vaccinated. Sure as hell beats actual Covid.
      · 6 replies
    • Bluebirdbluebell

      Bluebirdbluebell

      So very sad about Willie Garson. RIP
      · 0 replies
    • Chocolate Lover

      Chocolate Lover

      Started prednisolone tablets today because the asthma inhaler isn't enough. Now I have a sore throat and feel like I have a cold coming.  Need the tablets because breathing isn't an optional body function.  Really don't need the tablets if I have an infection brewing.   
      · 0 replies
    • Cartmann99

      Cartmann99

      My husband commented this morning about how nice the weather is after a cold front moved in last night. Before I could stop him, he asked out loud if I thought this meant an early fall for us.
      That's like when you live up north and start talking about an early spring...
      Be careful, the weather gods are always listening.
      · 3 replies
    • PinkGreyBrown

      PinkGreyBrown

      Grew up fundie-adjacent. My mother called herself a recovering fu**tamendalist, & she was not given to swearing. Thankfully she raised me as free of religious weirdness as she was capable. Her mother is all the regressive things -- racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, anti-semitic, ableist, fundamentalist Protestant nonsense, all of it, & longing for a golden past that never existed.
      I'm an atheist with a bit of an obsession about fundies, particularly of the Christian varieties cuz that's what I'm surrounded by. I've been reading this forum for well over a decade now & finally decided to make an account.
      Thanks for having me here.
      · 1 reply
  • Recent Blog Entries

×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.