IGNORED

Now Scheduling for Summer: Erika Shupe (pt. 7)

SpoonfulOSugar

32 minutes ago, pnwgypsy said:

Does the fafsa apply for cosmetology school? Maybe if only at a community college?

Edit to add, Everett community college which would be commutable for Karen offers cosmetology. If they make $70k or less a year, cost after grants & scholarships is $500.

Wait. These freaks live in the seattle metro area? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, seattlechic said:

Wait. These freaks live in the seattle metro area? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

They are in the Mt. Vernon area. It's always so funny to me, because I already perceive mt. Vernon to be really conservative and that's one reason we didn't move there. That was before I learned about the Shupes. 

FAFSA could apply, it depends. Sone cosmetology schools are accredited and can receive federal funds, others are not. However with all those kids and only one income she probably would be Pell eligible.

7 minutes ago, Shiny said:

They are in the Mt. Vernon area. It's always so funny to me, because I already perceive mt. Vernon to be really conservative and that's one reason we didn't move there. That was before I learned about the Shupes. 

Damn! I like going to the Coop in Mt. Vernon but OMG it is indeed super white. Both yours truly and Mr. Chic are brown peoples, so we feel observed there. 

Okay, I got side tracked into Erika's drop box from her summer scheduling post. In it, she has her point rewards system thing for when they go out.

I don't know if it's identical to the one of the blog but it includes, as a reward, a roll of scotch tape. Also, pencils. 

She has also taken the liberty of writing a list of all the items that are available for sale at the Dollar Tree. Just...not for the rewards or anything. Just a list of stuff you can buy at a dollar store. 

A card from the wonderful Bob Shupe (in case we forgot his last name). Sweet gesture but what a boring message. I find it interesting how Erika doesn't let her daughters read/watch love stories because it will give them false expectations about love. It's pretty clear the emotionless Bob disappointed her in that area.

On a side note, why do the fundies always say "investing in" someone? The Duggars say that too, it drives me nuts! It implies some kind of return on investment. 

Screen Shot 2016-04-21 at 6.21.31 PM.png

Eh, I'm not reading into her not allowing romances and things for her children. That seems pretty standard for fundies from what I've seen. I remember Jill Duggar/Dillard saying that romances are bad for the soul at that poor kid's birthday party.  

I'll admit to being really curious about their marriage though. It seems like it's not as strong as she'd like to portray. I doubt she sent that to herself though. She seems more like the type who would loudly flip through a newspaper and exclaim to herself (loudly enough so that Bob could hear), "Wow, Michael's is having a sale on weird looking love note things. What a great deal!" *paper shuffle, glare* "Ooh, the florist has roses 20% off next week. I do love the scent of roses..." *shuffle, cackle*

I have run in circles in fundie-lite megachurches where it was trendy to not allow one's daughters to watch Disney movies because they promoted bad morals and unrealistic ideas of romance. Read: disobeying one's parents and not letting them choose who you date/marry. A double-whammy of sinfulness, if you will. 

While I resent the hell out of my mother for forcing me to attend those churches and exposing me to the toxic bullshit therein, she at least never tried to exert that level of control over my life. 

Ok...I'm even more ragey at this dumb bitch! 1LB of pasta feeds me and the mister for a couple of meals. So, like for two adults, 1lb of pasta goes 2 meals each. Its usually served with something else, some sort of meat dish or meat/sausage in the sauce. BUT...when my kids were small, we used at least 2lb of pasta for 7 people. 

And yes, hubs and I like salads...that was lunch today. Green stuff, chicken or turkey, cheese, other veggies and a healthy dose of salad dressing. Great meal when its hotter than hell here in the high desert. BUT...if its as a main dish, it's a loaded salad of rather large proportions. 

No wonder the boys in particular look grey, washed out and just so small. I don't remember how old her boys are but mine started with the appetites from hell at around 11-12. 

42 minutes ago, JesusCampSongs said:

I have run in circles in fundie-lite megachurches where it was trendy to not allow one's daughters to watch Disney movies because they promoted bad morals and unrealistic ideas of romance. Read: disobeying one's parents and not letting them choose who you date/marry. A double-whammy of sinfulness, if you will. 

While I resent the hell out of my mother for forcing me to attend those churches and exposing me to the toxic bullshit therein, she at least never tried to exert that level of control over my life. 

I've run into secular people who don't allow their daughters to watch Disney movies because they give a narrow model of womanhood, and have unrealistic  "happily ever after" endings. Personally, I think that as long as you're having regular talks with your kids about real life vs. fiction, it doesn't matter.

42 minutes ago, JesusCampSongs said:

Here's what she wrote in her post about books (which she has since deleted, but I found a cached version). It it just me, or does this seem really extreme? It goes further than just banning sinful or lustful love stories.

"Genera Caution:

Another genre of reading material parents should be highly cautioned against are romance novels.  Even Christian authored romance novels are poison for girls, young ladies, and even women.  They set up expectations for girls women of any age as to what life should be like, and then lead them down paths of discontentment and disappointment with real life.  It actually sets their future husbands up for failure from the very beginning as he could never compare with the idealistic men in novels, and he could not even be aware of all of his wife's expectations of him (and she may not be either as most of the expectations are set up subconsciously).  Romance novels set up an obsession and focus on the romantic life, which is not Biblical."

5 minutes ago, 16strong said:

I've run into secular people who don't allow their daughters to watch Disney movies because they give a narrow model of womanhood, and have unrealistic  "happily ever after" endings. Personally, I think that as long as you're having regular talks with your kids about real life vs. fiction, it doesn't matter.

Have you ever read Cinderella Ate my Daughter? It'a about a progressive woman's (futile) goal to shield her daughter from Princess Culture, and the rabbithole she wound up going down when her daughter started preschool and wound up in the thick of it. I thought it was really awesome.

18 minutes ago, usedbicycle said:

Here's what she wrote in her post about books (which she has since deleted, but I found a cached version). It it just me, or does this seem really extreme? It goes further than just banning sinful or lustful love stories.

"Genera Caution:

Another genre of reading material parents should be highly cautioned against are romance novels.  Even Christian authored romance novels are poison for girls, young ladies, and even women.  They set up expectations for girls women of any age as to what life should be like, and then lead them down paths of discontentment and disappointment with real life.  It actually sets their future husbands up for failure from the very beginning as he could never compare with the idealistic men in novels, and he could not even be aware of all of his wife's expectations of him (and she may not be either as most of the expectations are set up subconsciously).  Romance novels set up an obsession and focus on the romantic life, which is not Biblical."

Oh good grief. You'd have to be an idiot if you can't separate fiction from reality. 

She seems to have deleted a few posts recently. Their one about celebrating Easter was up a couple of days ago, now gone. She shared the books post only relatively recently too. Just clicked on the "closely spaced pregnancies- blessed efficiency" link from the FB page a few weeks ago, that's gone too. Also her thing about how she has personal Bible time. She only linked these fairly recently... is she really paring it down to just being an organisation/homeschool blog, or what??

She doesn't teach her children to critically think though. She teaches them that they should just believe everything they read. In that context, her children may not be able to separate what a real relationship looks like and what a bodice ripper tells you a relationship should look like. A normal person is totally able to read romance novels and be able to have healthy, normal relationships. A Shupe, or other fundie, girl might not. 

51 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Oh good grief. You'd have to be an idiot if you can't separate fiction from reality. 

She seems to have deleted a few posts recently. Their one about celebrating Easter was up a couple of days ago, now gone. She shared the books post only relatively recently too. Just clicked on the "closely spaced pregnancies- blessed efficiency" link from the FB page a few weeks ago, that's gone too. Also her thing about how she has personal Bible time. She only linked these fairly recently... is she really paring it down to just being an organisation/homeschool blog, or what??

Oh my God, @mango_fandango what you discovered is kind of huge!! I just looked and she deleted SO MANY of the personal posts- posts about marriage and their attitudes towards family planning, etc.. 

What if they are moving away from Quiverfull?? I don't know- the deletion of so many of her most snarkworthy articles is highly suspicious. Something totally isn't right.

Edit: Including the whispy short hair one. Nooooooo. 

I was not allowed to watch Beauty and the Beast as a child but it was a very, very secular feminist household. Other Disney films were okay'd but I don't recall loving any of them. I did, however, adore The Paper Bag Princess and the good side of princess culture in opinion is the stuff like The Royal Diaries (historical fiction, supposed diaries of Marie Antoinette, Anastasia, Cleopatra). I could read those again, I think. Maybe in the summer. 

As for unrealistic expectations, I dunno. It sounds more like she thinks women have to settle. It's a part of their culture they they must but you really, really, really don't. My boyfriend makes me feel way more pampered and taken care of than any dime romance but hey, that's what you get when a man cleans up your cat's vomit from the floor before you can even get to it! :tw_love:

25 minutes ago, defraudingjezebel said:

Oh my God, @mango_fandango what you discovered is kind of huge!! I just looked and she deleted SO MANY of the personal posts- posts about marriage and their attitudes towards family planning, etc.. 

What if they are moving away from Quiverfull?? I don't know- the deletion of so many of her most snarkworthy articles is highly suspicious. Something totally isn't right.

I was on the blog yesterday, there were 70 posts in the "How Do We Do That" section. It's now down to 50. 

23 minutes ago, defraudingjezebel said:

Whatever it is, it's bizarre. Lisa Pennington has also done some blog cleanup recently- she ditched her entire modesty section. Not sure what else, if anything, she deleted. Grace has a boyfriend now, though.

I'm too cynical. I guess she has either received criticism for oversharing... Or maybe she is just cleaning house on the blog? Hard to say.

If she was making a shift in beliefs, or away from QF ideas I'd rather assume the entire blog would be deleted, since it basically serves as a ministry on her part.

12 minutes ago, THERetroGamerNY said:

I'm too cynical. I guess she has either received criticism for oversharing... Or maybe she is just cleaning house on the blog? Hard to say.

If she was making a shift in beliefs, or away from QF ideas I'd rather assume the entire blog would be deleted, since it basically serves as a ministry on her part.

Yeah, it definitely might be a matter of oversharing but my question would then be- why now, after oversharing for many years? Then again, that would explain the long-missing schedules they deleted. 

Its just strange because it seems like she's deleted almost every blog entry that was overtly religious. That seems extremely unErika-like and unFundie-like, in general. 

8 minutes ago, THERetroGamerNY said:

@defraudingjezebel I know, right?!

Quite the mystery...

I know I'm definitely being overoptimistic but maybe since Karen and Melanie are reaching adulthood, they've begun to rethink their values? I feel like letting a 17/18 year old girl work outside of the house and in a coed gym seems pretty out there by most fundie standards. I could see Erika and Bob relaxing their standards for pragmatic reasons and Erika deleting all of the blogs that might contradict what they're doing now. 

The plot thickens...

blog posts removed. Karen is allowed to get a job (gasp).

maybe we will see the girls in jeans......

or enrolled in public school.

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

Archived