• Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
devoe364

The Flanders Family

devoe364

I just found this family on youtube!

Flanders Video

I am not sure how to snark on this family. Mom has a math degree. Dad is an Doctor. one of their daughters has a degree in Biology. Their children are actually worldly. they've volunteered overseas. One son has been a member of the military. Her kids are homeschooled, but seem like they are actually educated and aren't protected from the big bad world. One of their daughter in laws studied ballet (dance *gasp*) in College, and they don't hide that, and in fact seem pretty normal.

Except most of their kids finished high school early, finished University or College early and have spent time teaching or volunteering. The go to the local junior college and then go on to 

The girls and women wear pants. Modesty doesn't seem to matter. They swim, the girls wear shorts and pants. Sleeveless tops. 

Their 14 year old is in Community College. They are allowed to use computers.They have a child who is a vegeterian.

They do homeschool and believe slightly in the patriarchy, however it doesn't appear to be nearly as severe as other quiverful families.

They do homeschool for control reasons however. they acurately point out that no education is without bias, which as a former teacher, I can say is definitely true. On their website, the books they use are not hardcore Christian. That said, their science is still very Christian, and it makes me wonder how their kids in Dental College and Medical School manage.

Thoughts?

Flanders Family Website

19 cats and counting

I'm sorry, forgive me for seeing the name and thinking of another fundamentalist Christian family with the same name

Simpsons-Mobile-Wallpaper-Flanders-Family.jpg

Edited by 19 cats and counting
replace image URL with image

Ungodly Grandma
36 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I'm sorry, forgive me for seeing the name and thinking of another fundamentalist Christian family with the same name

That's what I expected!

19 cats and counting
12 minutes ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

That's what I expected!

I wonder if the character were developed today if Ned and Maude would be a Quiverfull family with eleventy homeschooled children and popping out 1 right after another.

When the show first took off, Josh Duggar was an only child.

HereticHick
1 hour ago, 19 cats and counting said:

Me--diddly-too.

And don't forget the Christian amusement park that Ned built: Praiseland

Wenny

David is 6'7 and the same age as me....nvm married. 

Waffle Time
Palimpsest

I very quickly checked out the Flanders' website and their books on Amazon.  Yuck.  Scratch the surface and - patriarchy and submission by the shovelful.  Have we discussed them before?

They have also ripped off the Maxwells and are selling their very own chore chart!

Check out her abortion posts here:  http://lovinglifeathome.com/category/culture/abortion/

I have no words about her stalking the friend's girlfriend to the clinic (against friend's wishes) and lying her way into the waiting room to try to prevent her from having an abortion. 

Not all dyed in the wool Fundies are obvious.  They are not all skirts only and some actually do believe in education for their children.  

The Flanders family is dangerous. IMO, of course.

Shiny

Checked out their site. The curricula they use/recommend is pretty solid. Some of it is quite rigorous and complete-- Sequential Spelling, Story of World, Saxon math, etc. I use a lot of the same stuff and I'm as far away from fundie as a person can be.   Apologia science is young earth (I believe) but it's rigorous and thorough.  The kids will get some scientific exposure, which is more than a lot of these fundie families. 

6 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I agree. It's the families like this that make their views so toxic. We can look at so many of these other families and chalk it up to being crazy, misguided, or brain washed. Families like the Flanders (and the bates now really) make it seem fun and welcoming.

Edited by Shiny

19 cats and counting

What really got me is that their blog had a parody of "Let It Go" (yes they're a dime a dozen) about being born again/saved.  Completely missed the context of the original song, which is about letting go of an oppressive childhood.  Oh yeah and the song also uses the evil magic.

devoe364
1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

I very quickly checked out the Flanders' website and their books on Amazon.  Yuck.  Scratch the surface and - patriarchy and submission by the shovelful.  Have we discussed them before?

They have also ripped off the Maxwells and are selling their very own chore chart!

Check out her abortion posts here:  http://lovinglifeathome.com/category/culture/abortion/

I have no words about her stalking the friend's girlfriend to the clinic (against friend's wishes) and lying her way into the waiting room to try to prevent her from having an abortion. 

Not all dyed in the wool Fundies are obvious.  They are not all skirts only and some actually do believe in education for their children.  

I didn't read the blogs. No time for that worm hole today! (Tonight however is a different story - this and The Marriage Bed are on my to do list) 

I was worried about the patriarchy and submission stuff.

That said, I agree that they are dangerous. They do make it look nice for someone like myself. Educated, but I have faith, and having taught myself, I am not a fan of public education especially for any children I might have had, until they were in Grade 5 or 6 (ADHD, OCD, Anxiety, ASD, and Dyslexia run in the family) because most of my siblings fell through the cracks and I just got lucky - I have a memory like an elephant, so I forget nothing. 

These are the most dangerous fundies of all IMHO. 

Miss M
3 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

I stopped reading it after this line, which is really the first line in the blog...

Baby #1: Inconvenient

“I’m getting an abortion, and nothing you say is going to talk me out of it.”

That’s what a friend of ours was told by his girlfriend when he accidentally got her pregnant, twenty-some-odd years ago.

I fucking hate the line "accidentally got her pregnant", hate it with a passion, an accident is when you fall off your bike or trip over your own feet, his penis didn't accidentally fall into her vagina!!

EmainMacha

Oh this is dangerous! I channeled my younger self and found I was nodding along with a lot of the pro-life stuff. It would be easy to ignore the dodgier elements and the fact that they're just anecdotes with nothing to back them up. I wonder how many times the story of the magically appearing lungs has been brought out for those struggling with bad news from an anatomy scan.

Also on the website their oldest daughter's bio is eye opening. She's going to be a dentist! But when Daddy told her to come back from the missions she did, even though she wanted to stay - she's obedient to her headship! It's like an advert for 'court my daughter'. Also younger girls reading it may be thinking that they to can be professionals and also godly daughters and mothers. But the daughters -in-law have no jobs listed,  Mum stayed home and one wonders if Bethany's presumably expensive dentistry degree is going to be worth the paper it's written on once Mr.Right shows up. 

devoe364
57 minutes ago, EmainMacha said:

Also on the website their oldest daughter's bio is eye opening. She's going to be a dentist! But when Daddy told her to come back from the missions she did, even though she wanted to stay - she's obedient to her headship! It's like an advert for 'court my daughter'. Also younger girls reading it may be thinking that they to can be professionals and also godly daughters and mothers. But the daughters -in-law have no jobs listed,  Mum stayed home and one wonders if Bethany's presumably expensive dentistry degree is going to be worth the paper it's written on once Mr.Right shows up

Well they all attend the University of Texas (maybe they need accountability partners when they are away at school?) but I would assume that might be the case. 

Coy Koi
20 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Oh, but she didn't lie! She just told them that her period was late and she heard they offered free pregnancy tests, which she is careful to point out was technically true. :my_rolleyes:  I hate when people play that game. How is intentionally deceiving someone with "technical truths" any different than just flat out lying?