IGNORED

#Big Sandy 2016

picklepizzas

15 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

I am posting before reading the thread -image.jpegin case you didn't know.

:pb_eek:  :pb_eek:  :pb_eek:  :pb_confused:

• Upvote 9

I think it could use some better/alliterative names. Forsaken Flesh? Faithful Flesh? Gargantuan Green? Wondrous White? Wrathful White?

• Upvote 9

I've been lurking here for a long time, and had to register today when I saw that Peter Magnuson is a speaker at the Big Sandy conference. I know him--not well, but he was classmate of mine. When he got married, I noticed that his wife's family seemed very Duggar-esque: a ton of kids (I want to say 14?), and the women only wear skirts and have long, curly hair. For some reason though, I was under the impression that they weren't involved in ATI. Very disappointing that I was wrong! 

Seeing his picture right after Gil & Kelly Bates and right before David Waller's was rather shocking! And the link that @quiversR4hunting posted is definitely him. 

• Upvote 34

@19 cats and counting, Loehmann's was famous for their communal changing rooms as well as their great deals on women's clothes.  The late Erma Bombeck wrote All I Know About Animal Behavior, I Learned in the Loehmann's Dressing Room.

Erma was a newspaperwoman who became a SAHM when she and her husband adopted a little girl but then she began to write humor columns for the Dayton, Ohio shoppers. Her column grew and began to be carried by more and more papers.  My aunt in  Cincinnati was/is a big fan.  Erma was next-door neighbors to Phil Donahue when they both lived in the Dayton area.

Erma Bombeck

Edited by PennySycamore
  • Upvote 5

I guess I'm too young to remember Loehmann's.  

I can remember a store called Annie Sez (located in the town I was born, not sure if it's still there or not) was one of those stores that had communal dressing rooms.  Guess where my mom took me to buy my first bra?  

(There's two 19 cats and counting on this board-- my username has spaces in it so if you want to tag me, be sure to put the spaces).

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

Unfortunately there's some things that you can't unlearn.  Maybe I'm a bit prudish, but I didn't need to know what a golden shower is.

LMAO... Better you find out here than at a friend's house when you are helping her drag shopping into her room, and you sit down on the edge of her bed to watch her model purchases, and finding it oddly crinkly, cluelesly ask her why she has a plastic sheet on her bed... 

I like to think I'm pretty well unshockable, but having her explain what it is and give waaaaay too many details was unnerving..... All I could think of was I'm sitting on a pee sheet.... :my_cry: ewwwwww....

Life lesson from me: unless your intersts align, if you see or feel rubber sheets on a bed, turn around and walk away or sit very, very still and pretend as hard as you possibly can not to notice...

• Upvote 18

5 minutes ago, Kittikatz said:

LMAO... Better you find out here than at a friend's house when you are helping her drag shopping into her room, and you sit down on the edge of her bed to watch her model purchases, and finding it oddly crinkly, cluelesly ask her why she has a plastic sheet on her bed... 

I like to think I'm pretty well unshockable, but having her explain what it is and give waaaaay too many details was unnerving..... All I could think of was I'm sitting on a pee sheet.... :my_cry: ewwwwww....

Life lesson from me: unless your intersts align, if you see or feel rubber sheets on a bed, turn around and walk away or sit very, very still and pretend as hard as you possibly can not to notice...

In all honesty I would probably just assume the person had an issue with bedwetting at night and would try to avoid calling attention to what I thought was their difficulty. Apparently I'm naive.

• Upvote 6

@Grimalkin the stupidity encapsulated in that cartoon makes me stabby. Wow.

I'm not normally prone to violence, but that level of ignorance makes me want to introduce the fingers of whoever drew that to a blunt object. At force. Repeatedly.

Jesus riding a dinosaur. I cannot begin to fathom the amount of education needed to begin to explain how wrong that is. There truly is no hope for some of these people...

@MercerMerc

Sorry - quote box not behaving... I would normally not ask, but I had roomed with this woman for years. We occasionally shared a bed when her dad came to visit us. I knew there were no bed wetting issues, and was expecting a horrific/funny cat story. Instead: scared for life.

To be fair, I've almost certainly returned the favour :kitty-wink:

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Kittikatz said:

@MercerMerc

Sorry - quote box not behaving... I would normally not ask, but I had roomed with this woman for years. We occasionally shared a bed when her dad came to visit us. I knew there were no bed wetting issues, and was expecting a horrific/funny cat story. Instead: scared for life.

Oh, I didn't mean you shouldn't have asked - that totally depends on the relationship dynamic.

I just meant I wouldn't even think to do so.

12 minutes ago, Kittikatz said:

@Grimalkin@MercerMerc

I guess if I was into that and a (platonic) friend came over and I had a pet, I'd definitely blame it on the pet (child, leaky roof, etc) before a TMI conversation.  

I've seen rubber mattress pads, and typically they're sold to parents of young children (I used to work at a store that sold them).

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

I am posting before reading the thread -image.jpegin case you didn't know.

OK, what color is "Flesh of Christ"?

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, EyeQueue said:

Unfortunately, there are lots of these guys--who have legit educations and present as "normal" people, but who are deep into fundamentalism and dominionist crap and are trying to take the culture over from the inside.

Read the threads on Stephen Hammer (Rhodes Scholar!!111111eleventy) and be afraid. Be very afraid. :pb_surprised: (Although I think he's Vision Forum, but they're two sides of the same coin and seek the same ends).

<shudder> a read a few pages of one of the threads about Hammer. <shudder>

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

OK, what color is "Flesh of Christ"?

And my mind just went into the gutter (this thread's been good for that).  Flesh of Christ could be marketed as an 'enhancement' for Christian marriages.

I'll see myself to the prayer closet.

• Upvote 12

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

So you apparently can be a professional creationist. I had no idea!

Can "Professional Creationist" be a post title, @happy atheist?

• Upvote 8

3 hours ago, Sundaymorning said:

I wonder what the other fundies who attend this brainwashing event really think about the Duggars?

Do they truly believe that poor J'Chelle, Boob and Joshley are the innocent victims of an ebil gay liberal media conspiracy? Or do they actually hold them accountable for their behaviour?

And will some fundies shun them openly? Or act like they are delighted to see them but then thrash them behind their backs?

Two former ATI families of my acquaintance defend the Duggars to the hilt.

• Upvote 2

@Kittikatz sorry to be the cause of your distress! I thought I would add some levity for you

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This may be from the creation museum.

• Upvote 15

Does "Flesh of Christ" take AA or AAA batteries?

• Upvote 41

@Grimalkin noooooooo¡!!!!!!

Please consider my mind officially blown. So many people whose fingers need to encounter my Grandpa's 'persuader' (AKA a ten pound sledge hammer used to persuade bits of machinery to bloody well fit where they were supposed to!)

I cannot believe that Jesus riding dinosaurs is an actual thing with this faction of people.

Vodka. Vodka is the answer. Or, it will, at least, obliterate the question...

:content:

• Upvote 7

4 hours ago, crawfishgirl said:

I've also gotten less prudish as I've gotten older.  When I was younger, it was related to insecurity.  Pregnancy, related exams and childbirth helped cure me of caring about my privacy.  Now that I'm middle-aged and overweight, I could care less if anyone sees my body.

Me too!  Older I get, less I care.  A benefit of growing older.  Along with wisdom.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, FloraKitty35 said:

Does "Flesh of Christ" take AA or AAA batteries?

I believe it's a plug in.

• Upvote 7

31 minutes ago, Kittikatz said:

@Grimalkin noooooooo¡!!!!!!

Please consider my mind officially blown. So many people whose fingers need to encounter my Grandpa's 'persuader' (AKA a ten pound sledge hammer used to persuade bits of machinery to bloody well fit where they were supposed to!)

I cannot believe that Jesus riding dinosaurs is an actual thing with this faction of people.

Vodka. Vodka is the answer. Or, it will, at least, obliterate the question...

:content:

Sorry for the thread drift. There is all sorts of WTF Jesus art out there. Like this man who does not look amused.image.jpeg

someone injecting heroin into Jesus' arm.image.jpeg

jesus interfering with a dentist trying to do his job.image.jpeg

i can go on and on.

• Upvote 22