IGNORED

#Big Sandy 2016

picklepizzas

The Big Sandy  thread is one of the funniest I've read in a long time. The Duggars are downright boring any more. We need a new scandal or something. Jeer looks good though.

• Upvote 11

1 hour ago, Sundaymorning said:

I wish they would have the same showers which offer privacy around here everywhere. Not that I've been to many campgrounds, but the ones I know only have showers where you have to get undressed in front of everyone. Many even don't offer separate shower cabins at all.

Are you sure you weren't staying at a "nature retreat"? ;) 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kittikatz said:

Given the other topics, maybe they are advocating golden showers??

:omg:

That was my first thought. I bet Pecan Thief will make it to this presentation, sans umbrella. 

• Upvote 8

I just hope that FJ realizes how many times this thread is sending me to Urban Dictionary.

• Upvote 20

1 hour ago, quiversR4hunting said:

I agree @Coconut Flan - actual campgrounds in the US usually have a bath house with privacy. Now if you are going to backpacking in the wilderness (not Naugler wilderness) there won't be a bath house (think Isle Royale national park)

But this is often what the bath houses look like with little privacy:
http://www.pinevalleyrv.com/Amenities/BathHouses.aspx

I went hiking for three days a couple of weeks ago, with 5 female friends.  The "campgrounds" we pitched our tents in (lol, nothing happening that way) were just flat areas in valleys.  Not a single bath house to be seen for three days. Not even a tree to go behind, since we were up above the tree line (Kosciusko National Park).  There was one toilet - at nearly the end of the third day, and some convenient big rocks.  My group is all late 40s, early 50s, and we've all got less prudish as we've got older.   Those communal change rooms freaked me out when I was young.

• Upvote 8

7 minutes ago, Karma said:

Are you sure you weren't staying at a "nature retreat"? ;) 

Pretty sure. Although, honestly, in some places, some Europeans aren't all that concerned about nudity and privacy. For example, I've seen women take off their bikini tops while sunbathing.

• Upvote 3

I've also gotten less prudish as I've gotten older.  When I was younger, it was related to insecurity.  Pregnancy, related exams and childbirth helped cure me of caring about my privacy.  Now that I'm middle-aged and overweight, I could care less if anyone sees my body.

• Upvote 17

1 minute ago, crawfishgirl said:

I've also gotten less prudish as I've gotten older.  When I was younger, it was related to insecurity.  Pregnancy, related exams and childbirth helped cure me of caring about my privacy.  Now that I'm middle-aged and overweight, I could care less if anyone sees my body.

Same here, to a tee

• Upvote 4

34 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I just hope that FJ realizes how many times this thread is sending me to Urban Dictionary.

Always be learning!

• Upvote 4

Just now, Crocoduck said:

Always be learning!

Unfortunately there's some things that you can't unlearn.  Maybe I'm a bit prudish, but I didn't need to know what a golden shower is.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I haven't been camping since I was a child.

Communal dressing rooms--- I remember some stores had them when I was a teen (90s) and it was a pain in the ass to try clothes on knowing other customers and employees can see you strip down to your skivvies.  I believe they saw this as a way to prevent theft.

Today, many locker rooms have them.  I'm personally not comfortable changing out in the open.  My gym has this, but they also have two stalls for private changing (which I use).  I'd change in a bathroom stall before out in the open.  There seems to be a generation gap when it comes to the people who change in the open vs using the stalls.  50+ change in the open and the younger women use the stalls.

Not in my world.  My master's swim group is ages 20 through who knows (old). Everyone showers and changes out in the open, in the locker room assigned to their sex. I've also need a lot of people changing trailside or in parking lots. It's not tied to any age group. 

I do not understand what the big deal is. People have bodies. People need to shower and change. Might as well do so. I think it's good for people of all ages to see other people of all ages naked. It's especially good for younger people to see and understand some the aging things. Other cultures are not so prudish. It's weird, IMO how uptight some people can be about "being seen." 

• Upvote 11

5 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Don't think the rains will delay Big Sandy.

Who is this hip young swain with his defrauding skinny jeans and de riguer Converse and scanty t-shirt?

• Upvote 4

The campgrounds we have stayed at have had shower stalls with curtains for privacy while getting undressed. There was a state park in SC that had private stalls but no curtains, but it also had giant bugs, so the lack of curtains was the least of my problems. 

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

<snip>

If this is the speaker, how did he get so deep into ATI? Duke (Methodist history) for undergrad and UofM (secular) law school? He is speaking for ATI yet he has a real, bona fide law degree!

Unfortunately, there are lots of these guys--who have legit educations and present as "normal" people, but who are deep into fundamentalism and dominionist crap and are trying to take the culture over from the inside.

Read the threads on Stephen Hammer (Rhodes Scholar!!111111eleventy) and be afraid. Be very afraid. :pb_surprised: (Although I think he's Vision Forum, but they're two sides of the same coin and seek the same ends).

Edited by EyeQueue
S-v agreement is nice.
  • Upvote 6

2 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

God is fundie, of course, only more so.

Yes, all things. Beard AND frumper.

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

The Big Sandy  thread is one of the funniest I've read in a long time. The Duggars are downright boring any more. We need a new scandal or something. Jeer looks good though.

We do need a new scandal. We may need to branch out a bit, find someone else awful.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

Yes, all things. Beard AND frumper.

We do need a new scandal. We may need to branch out a bit, find someone else awful.

There's an entire forum full of them on this forum called Free Jinger. ;)

• Upvote 7

8 hours ago, jas said:

I am being sucked down the rabbit hole of Jobe Martin,  who is speaking at the conference on "Creation Evangelism". He has a lot of stuff on youtube about how he became a creationist (having been a dentist) and how animals that are well adapted to their environments are proof that god made them that way. 

He is now a creationist but was formerly a dentist?

...Is that mutually exclusive? Can you make a living at being a professional creationist? Is it a requirement for dental practice that you must be a godless heathen?

I fear I may fall down this rabbit hole too now. :pb_eek:

Edited by Mercer
  • Upvote 8

I wonder what the other fundies who attend this brainwashing event really think about the Duggars?

Do they truly believe that poor J'Chelle, Boob and Joshley are the innocent victims of an ebil gay liberal media conspiracy? Or do they actually hold them accountable for their behaviour?

And will some fundies shun them openly? Or act like they are delighted to see them but then thrash them behind their backs?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Sundaymorning said:

Pretty sure. Although, honestly, in some places, some Europeans aren't all that concerned about nudity and privacy. For example, I've seen women take off their bikini tops while sunbathing.

Being topless in a beach is not considered nudity actually. Not like I would do it, but it's pretty standard

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Sundaymorning said:

I wonder what the other fundies who attend this brainwashing event really think about the Duggars?

Do they truly believe that poor J'Chelle, Boob and Joshley are the innocent victims of an ebil gay liberal media conspiracy? Or do they actually hold them accountable for their behaviour?

And will some fundies shun them openly? Or act like they are delighted to see them but then thrash them behind their backs?

Well, since they are attending an event hosted by an organization who has spent years covering up abuse and whose BoD(and main speaker, Gil Bates) is currently embroiled in a lawsuit about covering up abuse, I'm guessing what the Duggar parents did probably isn't a big deal to most folks there and Anna will get praised for standing by her man. People probably won't look at Josh the same, but it will be about the cheating, not molesting his sisters. 

• Upvote 14

1.  Jeer looks adorable in that Alert picture.

2.  The Other Man's Rain. My take on this is that it will have to do with not judging the problems another Christian is going through or it might refer to not feeling sorry for yourself but help someone who is facing difficulty.  The word rain, in Protestant circles, could refer to cleansing but it might also apply to gloom or a bad situation that happened to someone seemingly undeserving of it.

3.  I take an old sheet and clamps with me to camp showers to create my own privacy area.  It's not a moral issue with me.  I just don't want to be the reason someone's retinas melted off their eyeballs.

• Upvote 12

20 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Well, since they are attending an event hosted by an organization who has spent years covering up abuse and whose BoD(and main speaker, Gil Bates) is currently embroiled in a lawsuit about covering up abuse, I'm guessing what the Duggar parents did probably isn't a big deal to most folks there and Anna will get praised for standing by her man. People probably won't look at Josh the same, but it will be about the cheating, not molesting his sisters. 

The thing is though: the crimes of Bill Gothard (and likes) were covered up, and the current BoD members deny that they had anything to do with it. And I guess many fundies are delusional enough to actually believe them. The Duggar scandals however are out in the open, and, unless you believe it's an ebil liberal media conspiracy, pretty much undeniable.

Edited by Sundaymorning
spelling
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Mercer said:

He is now a creationist but was formerly a dentist?

...Is that mutually exclusive? Can you make a living at being a professional creationist? Is it a requirement for dental practice that you must be a godless heathen?

I fear I may fall down this rabbit hole too now. :pb_eek:

I figure he doesn't need to be a dentist now that he makes money selling DVDs. http://www.evolutionofacreationist.com/

• Upvote 4