IGNORED

#Big Sandy 2016

picklepizzas

6 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

He looks about 11 years old but is probably in his mid-twenties.

*snort*

7 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

His session this year is called "The Power of the Tongue."

They really don't get double entendres, do they? :)

*double snort*

• Upvote 22

19 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

They really don't get double entendres, do they? :)

I am SOOOO LOLing at this!

No, @Palimpsest, they really don't!

(We really shouldn't be so hard on them.)

Edited by Gimme a Free RV
  • Upvote 25

24 minutes ago, JillyO said:

*snort*

*double snort*

Personally, that's the kind of thing I learned in Middle school, another disadvantage to the homeskooled!

• Upvote 5

"What is God really like."

Hmmm really, how would ANYONE BE able to speak to this?!?!?!

• Upvote 21

I googled and searched FJ for Peter Magnuson. What is up with him?  Seems like a single (Jana or Maxwell match? ;) )

I wonder if Big Sandy will be canceled because of the creek flooding? I know 1 person has died and where I am at in tx is under flash flood warning. 

I definitely read it as "beware getting a hard on for sodom". American boys pitch tents too. 

• Upvote 18

From Dinosaurs to Dung Beetles: The Creator’s Universal Sanitary Engineers - first, they admit dinosaurs existed? second, how the heck does this topic fit in with all the other stuff?

The Other Man’s Rain - what does that mean?

• Upvote 11

20 minutes ago, happy atheist said:

From Dinosaurs to Dung Beetles: The Creator’s Universal Sanitary Engineers - first, they admit dinosaurs existed? second, how the heck does this topic fit in with all the other stuff?

Dinosaurs are in the Bible, at least according to them. They died off after the flood. 

I don't know what the Other Man's Rain is for sure,  but it probably is a lecture on wanting what others have and not being happy for what you have. 

Bob Newhouse isn't dead! For some reason I thought he was. I think he taught bread making at EXCEL. I'm not sure why or what spiritual lesson we were supposed to get from it, but in my mind I connect him with bread making. 

I see Gil and Kelly talk about "the amazing family God used" or, as I like to call it, "how we had lots of babies that we exploited so we didn't have to work!" 

Edited by formergothardite
  • Upvote 16

12 hours ago, picklepizzas said:

are the bates on the schedule that much bc they are popular or bc ati is scraping the bottom of the barrel for speakers?

We'll know they are scraping the bottom of the barrel when David Rodrigues preaches and the Rodrugui "perform."

• Upvote 31

12 hours ago, picklepizzas said:

Big sandy starts tomorrow! Fj faves lead the way with sessions such as David Waller's "who are you?" and Gil and Kelly bates' "beware of pitching your tent towards sodom".  Interesting to see that the duggars are excluded from the schedule entirely but the bates are presenting multiple sessions each day. (And I wonder - are the bates on the schedule that much bc they are popular or bc ati is scraping the bottom of the barrel for speakers?)

http://familyconferences.org/events/family-conference/big-sandy-2016/

Or in normal person language, ''don't get horny for penises, boys, boobies are for you''

• Upvote 15

7 hours ago, Gertie said:

Yes, it has the same meaning in Canada, anyway! Does it have some *other* meaning in Fundy-world? 

Yes. Yes it does.

6 hours ago, OnceUponATime said:

Pitching tents is mentioned a bit in the old testament. I'm guessing in this case it is a very clear reference to Genesis 13:12 (KJV)

I had never heard the UK interpretation of that phrase, so it's my guess that the vast majority (if not all -- and wouldn't that be an interesting speculation?) of the people going to that conference would be thinking of Abram and Lot's different choices.

When they came to the area near S & G, their flocks were too humongous for them to be able to live in the same area -- not enough grazing. So Abram told his nephew Lot to take first pick of the land he wanted. Lot looked around and seeing the green, well-watered land around S & G, chose that way, and Abram and all his thousands of critters went the opposite way.

Lot ended up bedazzled by the city scene, and instead of living a pure, clean, separated nomadic shepherding life, he and his family settled in Sodom. Somewhere in the bible it says Lot was troubled by the horribleness of the urban culture, but not enough to go back to sheepherding, obviously.

So to pitch your tent towards Sodom, in fundie-speak, means to (let me mix my metaphors and bring in a bit of ancient Greek) heed the siren call of corrupting culture, and not keep yourself and your family separate and pure.

It grieves me that I know this reference.

(not a gothardite, but formerly surrounded by gothard-influenced families and mentors)

• Upvote 39

2 hours ago, Granwych said:

Maybe the mower man speaks in tones audible to only those with a penis?  (Like a whistle to a dog?)

I will guess that the mower man has never had something so powerful between his legs, nor been on top of something so responsive, than a Cub Cadet, etc.  (Thank you, LA Law, for that phrase)

Stephen King's Lawnmower Man.  Not what they were going for, right? :pb_biggrin:

3 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

So in other words Ben Seewald is onto something?  That's why he's his FIL's lawn boy.

And now I have an image of Ben crawling behind a lawnmower, naked, eating grass and worshipping Pan.  Thanks for the diet aid. :pb_razz:

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Wenny said:

I wonder if Big Sandy will be canceled because of the creek flooding? I know 1 person has died and where I am at in tx is under flash flood warning. 

Stay safe. Saw some video of the flooding. I used to have family in Houston. (They're probably still there, we just lost touch years ago.)

36 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Dinosaurs are in the Bible, at least according to them. They died off after the flood. 

I don't know what the Other Man's Rain is for sure,  but it probably is a lecture on wanting what others have and not being happy for what you have. 

Bob Newhouse isn't dead! For some reason I thought he was. I think he taught bread making at EXCEL. I'm not sure why or what spiritual lesson we were supposed to get from it, but in my mind I connect him with bread making. 

I see Gil and Kelly talk about "the amazing family God used" or, as I like to call it, "how we had lots of babies that we exploited so we didn't have to work!" 

The qualities of yeast, perhaps?

I always thought it was interesting that yeast's powers were connected with sin, rather than an illustration about spreading the gospel. Seems like yeast is way i

As to the Other Man's Rain -- I wonder if it has anything to do with gothard's umbrella of authority?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, quiversR4hunting said:

I googled and searched FJ for Peter Magnuson. What is up with him?  Seems like a single (Jana or Maxwell match? ;) )

He is married and has children

Edited by AnnaRuk09
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, happy atheist said:

I've seen pictures of Adam and Eve in the garden with all sots of animals, including friendly dinosaurs. And a picture of the ark with dinosaurs marching up or down the ramp, I forget which.

Ken Ham liked to say that most dino species went extinct after the Flood. However, a few lingered into the Middle Ages, at least. Remember St. George slaying the dragon?

And one of our kids was quite entranced by wacko books that claimed that dinosaurs are still to be found in scattered places. The kid excitedly read me anecdotal stories from this book they bought at a Creation Conference (probably not Answers in Genesis -- there were several flavors of creationist conferences that came to town). One in particular that I remember was some guy in the 1800s West (Oregon? Washington? California?) being carried off by a pterodactyl and never seen again.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, refugee said:

As to the Other Man's Rain -- I wonder if it has anything to do with gothard's umbrella of authority?

Refugee you are a better person than I.  I went straight to thought of, shall we say, emanations when I read that one.

• Upvote 14

3 minutes ago, docmom said:

Refugee you are a better person than I.  I went straight to thought of, shall we say, emanations when I read that one.

Let's just say I am extremely literal and concrete, and many double-meanings are lost on me, except when I'm alert and aware and actively looking for them. (Which is not going to happen until after the second cup of coffee, at the very least.)

Edited by refugee
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, refugee said:

I've seen pictures of Adam and Eve in the garden with all sots of animals, including friendly dinosaurs. And a picture of the ark with dinosaurs marching up or down the ramp, I forget which.

Ken Ham liked to say that most dino species went extinct after the Flood. However, a few lingered into the Middle Ages, at least. Remember St. George slaying the dragon?

And one of our kids was quite entranced by wacko books that claimed that dinosaurs are still to be found in scattered places. The kid excitedly read me anecdotal stories from this book they bought at a Creation Conference (probably not Answers in Genesis -- there were several flavors of creationist conferences that came to town). One in particular that I remember was some guy in the 1800s West (Oregon? Washington? California?) being carried off by a pterodactyl and never seen again.

I think I've seen a picture of the Ark with dinosaurs.  Uh, but pterodactyls in the 19th century?  Okay ...

Did you ever come across Joe Taylor who applies "scientific" thought to fossils.  He has a fossil of a human girl's footprint in a dinosaur track.  Honest to God!   http://mtblanco.com/

Joe Taylor was famously almost bankrupted by Doug Phillips over Raising the Allosaur.   

• Upvote 4

34 minutes ago, refugee said:

Maybe fire and brimstone, as in Sodom and Gomorrah?

It'll be interesting to see whether any Duggars show.  I suppose, if they do, that people will be asking about Josh right and left...and neither the Duggars nor the powers-that-be would want that.

From the family conference website:

David Waller, father of two and fifth sibling of ten, is grateful for an upbringing that challenged him to combine a Scripturally-founded faith with real life situations. David serves as director of ATI.

So he's director of ATI now.  As far as the rest of the description - what kind of upbringing doesn't involve real life situations?

• Upvote 15

52 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Did you ever come across Joe Taylor who applies "scientific" thought to fossils.  He has a fossil of a human girl's footprint in a dinosaur track.  Honest to God!   http://mtblanco.com/

i've tried, but i can't see the uman footprint anywhere

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, AnnaRuk09 said:
2 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

I googled and searched FJ for Peter Magnuson. What is up with him?  Seems like a single (Jana or Maxwell match?  

He is married and has children

Interesting that his marriage status wasn't shouted loud and proud on all the sites I went too. Usually these people preach marriage from the rooftops and how many children and how godly they are to be sheparding new arrows in this awful liberal mean world.

In case it isn't the same guy- link is in spoiler. To me it seems like the same picture.

If this is the speaker, how did he get so deep into ATI? Duke (Methodist history) for undergrad and UofM (secular) law school? He is speaking for ATI yet he has a real, bona fide law degree!