IGNORED

That Baby Voice... Michelle and Mary Kay

holierthanyou

I suspect the voice we hear from Michelle, Anna, and Priscilla is all part of the Gothard ideal, subservient woman.  Stuff those emotions down, put on a huge smile, open your eyes wide, and speak so not to challenge any men around you.   Make sure they know you are weak and unable to defend yourself in words or actions.  

I don't know if it's new for Anna but I would not be surprised to see more artificial speech coming out of her as days go by.  God forbid she says what she is really feeling.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, OodOnTheLoo said:

I suspect the voice we hear from Michelle, Anna, and Priscilla is all part of the Gothard ideal, subservient woman.  Stuff those emotions down, put on a huge smile, open your eyes wide, and speak so not to challenge any men around you.   Make sure they know you are weak and unable to defend yourself in words or actions.  

I don't know if it's new for Anna but I would not be surprised to see more artificial speech coming out of her as days go by.  God forbid she says what she is really feeling.

She doesn't have feelings. Not without the approval of her headship, and we all know Joshley won't allow her to feel anything but joy that he is home. 

On April 19, 2016 at 4:19 PM, FundamentallyShocked said:

My then-boyfriend, now husband, told me that if I acted that way, he'd laugh in my face. A real man isn't threatened by a strong woman. In fact, they benefit because they don't have to run from work home to kill random spiders. :my_biggrin:

Now listen here, you!  I'm about as strong and independent as they get (military wife, you get independent or you don't survive :-)  but I'll be gosh darned if I'mma kill my own giant-ass spiders (wolf spiders! in my laundry room! as big as freaking mac trucks!!!!!  AAAAAAAHHH!!!) when I have a perfectly good other half to call home from work to kill them!  :pb_lol:

The above is a Thing That Actually Happened.  Holy Shit was that a YUUUGE spider!  I'll kill anything up to spans-the-top-of-a-coffee-mug, but when they start competing with the dogs for floor space, I'm calling in the big guns!  Ugh!  It still makes my skin crawl just to think of it!  

13 minutes ago, Rubaiyat said:

I'll kill anything up to spans-the-top-of-a-coffee-mug, but when they start competing with the dogs for floor space, I'm calling in the big guns!  Ugh!  It still makes my skin crawl just to think of it!  

LOL....:ant:any spider that big means that I'm leaving. The "big strong man" can come kill it, but I'm not entering the house until the spider carcass is hanging outside from a tree! One nice thing about living in the great north is that bugs are small. I visited Florida for a few months and the size of the bugs that we encountered every day was SHOCKING!!!

I'm fine with spiders, insects, and snakes, but I don't do rodents, especially not rats. Seymour and I have a deal- I take care of the spiders, and he's on rodent duty!

54 minutes ago, FundamentallyShocked said:

LOL....:ant:any spider that big means that I'm leaving. The "big strong man" can come kill it, but I'm not entering the house until the spider carcass is hanging outside from a tree! One nice thing about living in the great north is that bugs are small. I visited Florida for a few months and the size of the bugs that we encountered every day was SHOCKING!!!

Yeah...we've lived in multiple tropical climate locales, and the six-to-eight legged wildlife will eat you for breakfast and carry off toddlers for an afternoon snack!  We're currently in the Great White North, and I'm absolutely loving that my biggest animal fears are bears and moose.  I can usually see those coming, and they don't squeeze under the doorframe!  

1 hour ago, Audrey2 said:

I'm fine with spiders, insects, and snakes, but I don't do rodents, especially not rats. Seymour and I have a deal- I take care of the spiders, and he's on rodent duty!

i'm almost the opposite--i can handle rats and snap-traps (one winter, a neighbor's messy yard led to a big nest, and i killed 21--yes, i kept count), but not spiders.  Mr. CL doesn't like spiders, but he's nice enough to squash them for me. snakes and other insects don't bother me.

10 hours ago, TeaGrannie said:

sorry - wrong forum.    I CANNOT figure out how to delete a post!   

Oh, gawd, no way am I doing insects, spiders, cockroaches (because they deserve their own category) or rodents.  Fuck that. With Great Penis comes Great Responsibility, including Gross Thing Removal From Home (alive, if possible). But I will take out the garbage.  

For me, I have cats who do a great job in controlling the rodent population as they're both great mousers. Now, one thing I find especially annoying is when one of them, Bert decides he's bored playing with the large flying cockroach he brought in. Someone had to sit there with a shoe to smash it when it finally came out from its hiding spot. Then, there was another time when Ahab brought in a live baby rat that he must have taken from the nest because this thing was still hairless. I put it back outside, where he eventually killed it.

On 4/17/2016 at 10:32 PM, holierthanyou said:

20/20 episode with Barbara Walters interviewing Mary Kay Letourneau.

Was this the ep where Baba Wawa interviewed MK and her child husband (I can't think of his name because I call him Milli Vanilli when I think about them). 

If so, I watched that a while back and was struck by how...fundiesque MK seemed in some regards.

I don't think her voice is fake soft because I have followed that case since it became a headline and watched several made for tv movies and the soft spoken thing seems to be her natural demeanor vs "keeping sweet."

During the BW interview, IIRC, she kept looking to whateverhisnameis before she answered and a couple times she answered and he didn't really interrupt her, but afterward said he wanted to correct something she said (or something like that).  It's been a while since I saw the ep.

I give them props for staying together this long and their children seemed as well adjusted as they could be given the situation.  It doesn't seem like something they dwell on, in the home, which I think is best for the kids.

I think MK is kind of miserable, in general, and it wouldn't matter what relationship she was in or wasn't in she'd be kind of a sad sack.

On 4/18/2016 at 0:22 AM, Cleopatra7 said:

MKL came off as really immature in that interview (actually, she does in all the ones I've seen her in). I think she must be emotionally stunted, which is the only reason why she would decide to have an affair with a sixth grader.

This.  I'm digging deep into the recesses of my brain at this point, but I seem to recall her saying stuff like child spouse (I should just look up his damn name) was the first person that really "got" her.  She felt safe with him and stuff like that.   Which a healthy adult would never even consider with a 12-13 year old.

On a snarky note, if you marry someone that is your mother's age (after she's spent a few years in jail) it's hard to end up with a quiverfull of kids, so small favors there.

I actually feel sorry for both of them mostly.  He was from a broken home and clearly found something in her that he was missing and vice versa.    If they hadn't, they surely would not have made it this long as a couple/stayed married.

I thought he came across pretty well in the interview, IIRC, other than those times when he wanted to correct her.   He seems to have a job and be a productive member of society despite the circumstances of his childhood.

On 4/20/2016 at 8:47 PM, EyeQueue said:

The "likes" are definitely a linguistic tic for a certain generation

I say like a lot and have since I was somewhere in my teens.  It used to drive my parents crazy and I have tried to stop for YEARS.   If I am really thinking about it, I can stop myself, but once I get engrossed in a conversation, it slips back in.

I use it in place of said a lot of time.   Instead of says "he said xxx"  I say "he was like xxxx."   I don't say things "like totally tublar"  or really uses it in phrases that I can think of, but even typing this out, I've mentally said like about 5-6 times.  It's easier for me to be conscious of it when typing.

Fortunately, I don't use a lot of other filler words like uh or umm, etc usually.

On 4/20/2016 at 0:58 PM, HarleyQuinn said:

I'm watching the Barbara Walters interview now. I actually think Barbara's voice is more annoying. lol

Her voice is incredibly grating!  I've never thought she was a great interviewer though and I think she should have retired a few years earlier.  I used to watch The View sometimes and the last couple seasons she was on there, she was awful. 

On 4/21/2016 at 6:14 PM, Rubaiyat said:

wolf spiders! i

Those damn things jump like olympic medalist, too.   For 2 years, we had them in our BATHTUB.   Fortunately, it was high/slippery enough that once they were in the tub, they could not get out, but I was SUPER paranoid if they were washed down the drain, they'd cling to hair in the drain, live and crawl back up.

If one got washed down the drain, I'd force my husband to put the plug in the drain for days, then I'd be sure the spider was going to be stuck to the bottom of the plug when it was pulled out and, of course it'd be pretty angry at that point and just jump at whoever pulled the plug (ok let's be realistic...jump at my husband because no fucking way was I touching that thing.)

I'm not sure what was going on for those 2 years, but we haven't have the problem since then *touching everything wood*   I am *still* paranoid about it and make a sweep of the tub and the bottom of my shower seat before every entry.

If one of them gout out in the house (which I'm sure they probably were, but I never saw any), we'd have to move cause I'm not living through arachnophobia in my own house with spiders that are the same size as my dogs!

On 4/21/2016 at 6:47 PM, Audrey2 said:

snakes,

We have snakes near our shed once in a while (because *ahem* someone leaves a pile of leaves there which makes a great snake hidey hole).  Snakes don't bother me so when that someone comes in panicking about a snake I say "did it rattle at you?"  No?  Probably won't kill you then.  Clean up the leaf pile if you don't want to be surprised by snakes.

I grew up in the country where snakes were just a face of life.  Spiders the size of dogs were not ;)

apparently I have a lot of thoughts when I have insomnia.  Sorry for the post spam on this thread.

Regarding spiders-small ones dont bother me, and I have no problem squashing.  We have, what are locally known as "dock" or "lake" spiders, don't know what their real name is but they are BIG.  Came home to find one in my kitchen sink, called my husband at work to come take care of the problem :)  Also found 1 black widow in the basement, just one, just once.  Scarey thing is this thing must've moved with us from our previous home--that  one was quickly stomped upon.  Problem solved.  We also have snakes, which as long as they are outside are ok, we once had a milk snake indoors--called a wildlife guy to get rid of that one.  Mice, well they drive me nuts!   I have 2 cats, you would think they would have the problem under control, but nope, not really...

• 3 weeks later...

Grandson came into our bedroom:

He:  Mawmaw, there's a snake in the living room.

Me:  Are you sure?

He: Yes and it's this big. (Stretches arms to about 3 feet wide)

Me: Get me the phone.

911 Operator:  What is your emergency ?

Nice police officer comes to house.  Cute little smirk on his face.  Says in the sweetest country drawl, "You folks aren't from around here are you?'   Takes care of snake and then says, "Glad to be of service."

I finally watched this last night. I walked away with the feeling that her husband was only there for his daughters. I did not see any body language that made them seem in love and when asked they didn't say love until Barbara pushed them. When asked to describe their relationship the phrases used were about fighting, how strict she was, there were nothing about love, fun times, happy moments.  He said he would not want his daughters to get involved young because later in life they might regret who they choose. Kind of telling.

Our subdivision has a large Samoan population (there is an entire LDS Samoan  ward in our subdivision). Family is so important in their culture. This boy obviously wanted a family and love that he did not have and saw around him. Once he got her pregnant he took it that he had no choice but to stay with her and be a family. It is kind of sad that his mom, grandma or extended family could not have raised those girls and let him have a normal life. I wish they had gone into more what happened when she was in jail for 8 years. he had from 14-22? without her. Could he have not gone to college or trade school or found some path for his life. They both seem kind of stopped emotionally as young teens. I guess this is the Duggar connection because I have always felt JB & Michelle are stuck as teens as well. JB is still playing grocery stock boy in the garage and they are still following the same seminars they heard at age 17.

On Monday, April 18, 2016 at 6:59 PM, FundamentallyShocked said:

"Oh Tiger, come quick! There's a spider and I don't know what to do. Oh, help!"

I gave the book back.

I think Michelle must have read that book. Remember the episode when she and JB were playing a guessing game? Apparently she calls him 'Tiger' sometimes (hey hey hey!)

:brainbleach::brainbleach:

4 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

I think Michelle must have read that book. Remember the episode when she and JB were playing a guessing game? Apparently she calls him 'Tiger' sometimes (hey hey hey!)

Yeah, he calls himself that, and every time I see that clip, i cringe.

Jim Bob is called "Tiger" by Michelle sometimes, isn't "weasel" a more apt animal name for him?

I don't want to think of J'chelle calling Boob "Tiger" I picture him asking this in the middle of sweet fellowship.

On 5/13/2016 at 2:01 PM, silverspoons said:

I finally watched this last night. I walked away with the feeling that her husband was only there for his daughters. I did not see any body language that made them seem in love and when asked they didn't say love until Barbara pushed them. When asked to describe their relationship the phrases used were about fighting, how strict she was, there were nothing about love, fun times, happy moments.  He said he would not want his daughters to get involved young because later in life they might regret who they choose. Kind of telling.

Our subdivision has a large Samoan population (there is an entire LDS Samoan  ward in our subdivision). Family is so important in their culture. This boy obviously wanted a family and love that he did not have and saw around him. Once he got her pregnant he took it that he had no choice but to stay with her and be a family. It is kind of sad that his mom, grandma or extended family could not have raised those girls and let him have a normal life. I wish they had gone into more what happened when she was in jail for 8 years. he had from 14-22? without her. Could he have not gone to college or trade school or found some path for his life. They both seem kind of stopped emotionally as young teens. I guess this is the Duggar connection because I have always felt JB & Michelle are stuck as teens as well. JB is still playing grocery stock boy in the garage and they are still following the same seminars they heard at age 17.

I'm pretty sure Vili's mother raised the girls while he fumbled through life. He said his father was in prison, so maybe he didn't have any other family members besides his mother. Vili himself doesn't have a record (the media certainly would have reported any skirmishes he had with the law) but I noticed he had a huge scar on his face, so it wouldn't surprise me if he's been in some rough/dangerous situations. Vili actually came off as more mature than MK in the interview, while she just seems "stuck" in whatever mental limbo she's been in for the bulk of her adult life. Since both came from dysfunctional homes and have mental illness, that alone would create a bond that might not have otherwise been there. Then there are the kids, which can also bring people together who might otherwise have left each other ages ago. Since both girls are about to be leaving the nest soon, I guess we'll see if Vili and MK stay when it's just the two of them.

On 5/14/2016 at 1:56 PM, FloraKitty35 said:

Jim Bob is called "Tiger" by Michelle sometimes, isn't "weasel" a more apt animal name for him?

"Rat" would also be in the more appropriate category as well. :my_cool:

Archived