IGNORED

That Baby Voice... Michelle and Mary Kay

holierthanyou

11 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

In my trip down memory lane

When this first came out, Mary Kay gave some lame explanation that she recognized a soulmate (from a past life?) in Vili and that they were two old souls reaching out, blah blah blah.  Later she looked very uncomfortable when asked if she thought behavior like this was appropriate in the case of her own son.  I don't remember her response, but it was again something along the lines of "Vili and I are a special circumstance, because soulmates, etc."   There was a lot of discussion about what if this had been a male teacher and female student.  It's all bad.  Vili looks pretty unhappy now, and Mary Kay seems to be trying too hard to put up a happy front.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just shocked they actually got married after it all. I was in grade school myself when this happened and I still remember it being all over the news. It's shocking to me that they're still together, though I suppose severe grooming will do that to you.

I don't blame her ex husband for changing his name and moving away. 

34 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

When this first came out, Mary Kay gave some lame explanation that she recognized a soulmate (from a past life?) in Vili and that they were two old souls reaching out, blah blah blah.  Later she looked very uncomfortable when asked if she thought behavior like this was appropriate in the case of her own son.  I don't remember her response, but it was again something along the lines of "Vili and I are a special circumstance, because soulmates, etc."   There was a lot of discussion about what if this had been a male teacher and female student.  It's all bad.  Vili looks pretty unhappy now, and Mary Kay seems to be trying too hard to put up a happy front.

I used to teach and one of the most uncomfortable things I experience in dating (especially since I tend to date younger men) is that they push the "Hot for Teacher" thing and want to role play a student-teacher relationship. This makes me EXTREMELY uncomfortable and has actually ended a relationship for me. 

I think Vili (who is 2 years younger than I am, although I was in Grade 10 when this happened...) at 32 (almost 33), is realizing that he is married to a middle aged woman (she's 54 - my MOM is 56), and he has two teenaged daughters. He also never finished high school (how Mary Kay, as a former teacher can even be with someone who dropped out is beyond  me - though my ex didn't finish high school I was always on his case to just finish his Grade 12), and he likely knows people who are just having their first kids, who have degrees and better paying jobs.

He's probably questioning the choices he's made, though I am sure he loves his daughters. 

2 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I'm just shocked they actually got married after it all. I was in grade school myself when this happened and I still remember it being all over the news. It's shocking to me that they're still together, though I suppose severe grooming will do that to you.

I don't blame her ex husband for changing his name and moving away. 

I was in high school when it happened, but being only a couple of years older than Vili (although years ahead in school - he was 13 and in Grade 7, I was 15 and in Grade 10 when the trial happened), it actually didn't surprise me that they married. He comes from a family that seems to have a very strong sense of family, even if they were somehow unaware that their 13 year old was having sex with his teacher until a relative of her HUSBAND filed a complaint.

I definitely don't blame her ex for changing his name and moving away. If I were one of her children from her first marriage (and she has 4, who are in my age range) I would do the same. 

2 hours ago, devoe364 said:

I used to teach and one of the most uncomfortable things I experience in dating (especially since I tend to date younger men) is that they push the "Hot for Teacher" thing and want to role play a student-teacher relationship. This makes me EXTREMELY uncomfortable and has actually ended a relationship for me. 

It seems like almost every female associated profession or role has been fetishized to some extent (E.g., "sexy" nurse, "sexy" secretary, "sexy" nun, "naughty" Catholic schoolgirl, "hot for teacher"). The only one that seems exempt is the Girl Scouts, and I'm sure there is probably a sub-culture devoted to that, although I have no desire to find out for myself. 

On topic, MKL and Vili both seem to be in the " we're going to be together no matter who gets hurt" camp, which works in movies, but rather less so in real life. I have no idea if they're "really happy" or not, simply because we haven't been shown much of their lives and the fact that they seem to live in their own reality. They both seem to have mental issues and come from chaotic homes, so maybe they see each other as a rock of stability.

It reminds me of that episode of South Park where all the dads see a picture of the hot teacher and go: "niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice."

Just now, Cleopatra7 said:

It seems like almost every female associated profession or role has been fetishized to some extent (E.g., "sexy" nurse, "sexy" secretary, "sexy" nun, "naughty" Catholic schoolgirl, "hot for teacher"). The only one that seems exempt is the Girl Scouts, and I'm sure there is probably a sub-culture devoted to that, although I have no desire to find out for myself. 

On topic, MKL and Vili both seem to be in the " we're going to be together no matter who gets hurt" camp, which works in movies, but rather less so in real life. I have no idea if they're "really happy" or not, simply because we haven't been shown much of their lives and the fact that they seem to live in their own reality. They both seem to have mental issues and come from chaotic homes, so maybe they see each other as a rock of stability.

SOOOOO much this.

Vili is uneducated and makes little money most likely. He probably relies on her to a very heavy degree. She probably handles all of the adult things for him - I know I did for my ex, so paying bills, buying groceries ect. are probably things that she handles, and because of how young he was when they got together, he likely doesn't know how to handle it. At least my ex was in his 20s when we met (still is lol) and he had lived on his own and paid his own bills before.

My ex and I felt trapped in our relationship, like we couldn't do it without each other. He relied on me for financial support and I relied on him for emotional support. Our relationship was extremely volitile and was more of a parent-child relationship then an actual partnership. It would not surprise me if their relationship is the same.

Which makes me think about Michelle and Jim Bob. While her affectation may be because he finds it sexy, it could also be because their relationship is also more of a parent-child relationship emotionally - just the way Jim Bob gave advice to Josh on his wedding night speaks volumes to the fact that he does not view Michelle as an equal partner.

This parent-child relationship is definitely financial. Jim Bob handles it all. Michelle then (and lets be honest, they may make it sound good on TV, she has no relationship with her family) Jim Bob likely fills a void left for her there. 

2 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

It reminds me of that episode of South Park where all the dads see a picture of the hot teacher and go: "niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice."

That doesn't just happen on TV. It happened to me a few times - rumours in town were that the new teacher was hot... Got a lot of unsolicited help setting up my classroom from that. 

My thoughts on J'Chelle's baby voice is that back when she did the first specials she did the sweet, soft, patient act and the humpers ate it up, so she tried to continue that facade and in trying to ramp it up, she morphed it into the baby-babble.  I won't disagree that there are not other underlying reasons for it.  I'm surprised none of the other girls, especially Anna, haven't started mimicking her.

^I kind of expected Jill to after she had her own kid.

Still in the Letourneau rabbit hole...this crazy actually sends her teenager daughters to school in the same district she used to teach in. W.T.F

23 minutes ago, MatthewDuggar said:

My thoughts on J'Chelle's baby voice is that back when she did the first specials she did the sweet, soft, patient act and the humpers ate it up, so she tried to continue that facade and in trying to ramp it up, she morphed it into the baby-babble.  I won't disagree that there are not other underlying reasons for it.  I'm surprised none of the other girls, especially Anna, haven't started mimicking her.

I thought according to sources within the family, Anna has begun to imitate Michelle's soft way of speaking... 

1 minute ago, HarleyQuinn said:

^I kind of expected Jill to after she had her own kid.

Still in the Letourneau rabbit hole...this crazy actually sends her teenager daughters to school in the same district she used to teach in. W.T.F

WTF? Does this woman not have a brain in her head at all? I mean, I've known some GREAT Elementary Educators, but I once watched a Grade 1 teacher have an hour long argument with HERSELF about whether or not a cage was a THING or a PLACE. I kid you not. She then engaged me in the same debate about a street.

I lived with her for a month and a half, It was horrible. 

58 minutes ago, MatthewDuggar said:

I noticed that too. Her voice was a lot less irritating in the earlier episodes. Six pregnancies later, I'm surprised she's not screaming.

@Hollywood Your avatar!  priceless!  For a second I thought it was Blessa as a younger version, then I noticed half the face of an up and coming (cough) rap star.

Also I need to tell you this thread has haunted me, intrigued me and educated me for 2 days now.  Baby voice psychology, vocal fry, Kardashians and sex fetishes to name a few...my brain is having trouble concentrating on the stuff I should be.

3 hours ago, hollywood said:

Anna DOES do the annoying baby voice, both in the talking heads as well as when talking to others.

Yes, she does. I don't know that she got it from Michelle, because how would that account for how her sister, Priscilla, speaks? She has a baby voice, too.

16 hours ago, Eatingintheprayercloset said:

This is why I try not to bash the J'slaves Ummms, Yeahs, Likes. I had this problem in high school. I don't like to think  it was because I was dumb (graduated top 5% of my class, AP classes, accepted to multiple colleges) but I didn't take an oral language or debating class. Naturally, most people will use filler words when they talk in public settings. Good public speaking is truly an art form! I've taken communication classes in college and got so much better at speaking. Maybe it's something you grow out of eventually? I'm 21 but I notice a lot of my older friends don't really use filler words.

The "likes" are definitely a linguistic tic for a certain generation (although it has bled up into some older people I know, and I catch myself slipping into it sometimes, though not nearly to the extent that younger people--especially teens--use it).

My daughter (17) uses like *so damned much* to the point where I call her on it. But, she also seems to be able to *not* do it when she needs to. For example, when she's public speaking, I don't recall her using "like" at all, and very few "ums." She goes to a HS that emphasizes public speaking and went to the feeder junior high that also emphasizes this, so she's been taught from a pretty young age that those types of verbal fillers are not appropriate.

So, she definitely seems able to switch registers based on the social context, which it sounds like you have done.

7 hours ago, devoe364 said:

SOOOOO much this.

Vili is uneducated and makes little money most likely. He probably relies on her to a very heavy degree. She probably handles all of the adult things for him - I know I did for my ex, so paying bills, buying groceries ect. are probably things that she handles, and because of how young he was when they got together, he likely doesn't know how to handle it. 

Yep. I actually know a couple who got together when the woman was 21 and the man (then boy) was 14. (I met them long after this, when he was a legal adult, FTR). Anywho, they definitely have a very unhealthy relationship but are still together thirteen years later. Mostly because she is insecure of ever finding anyone else (which probably made her attracted to an impressionable teen in the first place) and he really has no idea of how to exist as an adult without her or take care of himself.

He was also robbed of all the teenage/YA markers that help build one's adult self. Never went to prom (couldn't take his GF after all), never went on dates in college, didn't go away to school since he had to be near where she worked and lived, never lived on his own or shared a shitty apartment with a bunch of friends. Thank God this couple doesn't have any kids at least. 

Mary Kay is so many buckets of crazy!

She abused her position as a teacher which is abhorrent. 

She and Vili keep trying to justify something that just makes no sense...

Their teenage daughters seem to be wise though...

11 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Yep. I actually know a couple who got together when the woman was 21 and the man (then boy) was 14. (I met them long after this, when he was a legal adult, FTR). Anywho, they definitely have a very unhealthy relationship but are still together thirteen years later. Mostly because she is insecure of ever finding anyone else (which probably made her attracted to an impressionable teen in the first place) and he really has no idea of how to exist as an adult without her or take care of himself.

That is why I stayed with my ex for a year and a half. Eventhough he told me all the time that I was beautiful and could do better than him (at least once I lost 60-70lbs - again a marker of an unhealthy relationship). We were co-dependent which was not and is never a good thing. 

Her older kids still seem to be in their lives too. That surprised me, I thought they'd be estranged. 

3 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Her older kids still seem to be in their lives too. That surprised me, I thought they'd be estranged. 

They probably were for a long time when they were young, but as adults probably took the view that if they wanted their mother and their two half sisters in their lives, that they'd just have to accept the situation as it was.

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

According to Radar Online (and we know how accurate that can be!) 

Today, the source said, “Contact with her children is close to non-existent. Over the last few years they have spoken to her a couple of times. She’s made little attempt to heal things with her kids.”

Radar Mary Kay Article

1 hour ago, devoe364 said:

Radar Mary Kay Article

I saw that at first, but then I saw pictures of her with her two older children and one of the son's newborn babies.

ETA: Though i suppose that could've been before the interview.

I'm watching the Barbara Walters interview now. I actually think Barbara's voice is more annoying. lol

16 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I saw that at first, but then I saw pictures of her with her two older children and one of the son's newborn babies.

ETA: Though i suppose that could've been before the interview.

I'm watching the Barbara Walters interview now. I actually think Barbara's voice is more annoying. lol

I keep forgetting to fall down some of these wrom holes (watching videos and the marriage bed and such) when I am not at work. I need Free Jinger at home too... 

On 4/19/2016 at 10:27 AM, CTRLZero said:

That was an old interview, wasn't it? Isn't Barbara Walters retired? Ok it's 2015.

4 hours ago, devoe364 said:

Radar Mary Kay Article

This is all old stuff, did anything new happen?

1 hour ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

That was an old interview, wasn't it?

Yes, what I am recalling is so old I don't even remember who the interviewer was.  This story was a local one to me, so it may have been on a local channel.  It was obviously when Mary Kay was out of jail, and Vili must have been over 18, but that's all I recall.  Just an excursion down memory lane for me...

Archived