IGNORED

Introduce Yourself- Part 3

samurai_sarah

Hello all! Long time reader and first time poster. I was raised Catholic until about thirteen, when my half brother was born. My mom shopped religions until finding a nondenominational/ evangelical church; while my dad stayed loosely Catholic. I am adopted, while my half brother is not (he was a fun surprise and is now a teen). I'm  Christian but do not identify with a certain church and have very liberal views of religion. I have a Jewish SO, who is amazing and three beautiful furry babies. :-) 

• Upvote 4

Hello to all! I am the Wonder Wizard of Quivers!  For quite some time,  I have sought out FJ as a source to help satiate my interest in all things culty, fundie, and snarkish. Though my quiet shady perch in the kingdom of lurkdom is comfortable, I thought perhaps it was time to attempt a little social interaction (my doctor said it would be good for my therapy.) 
I am grad student from Northern Ca.  and was raised secularly Jewish. Despite this nonreligious upbringing I have always harbored an interest in belief systems, particularly those on the fringe. I remember reading Under the Banner of Heaven by John Krakauer when I was quite young and being simultaneously fascinated and repulsed by the FLDS. I suppose you could call them my starter cult, and it was all down hill from there!
Anyhow, I'm happy to have taken the plunge to become and active FJ member and  look forward to the interesting if not slightly insane conversations that lie ahead!

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, been lurking since before Joshgate, and I finally made an account. Browsing this forum is what I tend to do at work!

I'm a college student one semester away from graduation. I was raised fundie (Calvinists and fundamentalist Baptists for the most part) and most of my family still is very religious. I just exist :)

• Upvote 1

hi, I am in my early 50s, married w one child, who was born when I was 40. Raised Catholic but now agnostic, liberal northeasterner. One sibling became born again & believes dinosaur fossils were put here by Satan to trick us into thinking the earth is older than the Bible says.

Everything I know about patriarchy I learned from lurking here. It horrifies me that women are treated like brood mares. I found being a SAHM to be boring & think my mom was depressed because she never worked. My parents wanted us to be educated. My dad told us girls that we should be able to take care of ourselves because you never know what might happen. We can change tires & do household repairs thanks to him.

• Upvote 1

I guess I will introduce myself. I'm a stay at home mom of two little boys. I am a Midwest mom in my 30s with not much else going on so I enjoy following all things fundie. I have followed a lot of the fundie families for awhile. I have some fundies in my extended family and grew up baptist. I am now a closet agnostic. I don't want to break all the Christian hearts in my family by coming out as agnostic :my_sad:

• Upvote 5

@JermajestyDuggar I want to be your friend because I love your name. This gorilla can only imagine adolescence with so cool and dreamy a name as, Jermagesty! Would it even be possible to have a personality bourgeois-enough to live up to such a name? 

• Upvote 1

Hi, I'm new here and was a short-term lurker.  Live in New England, proud product of Massachusetts public schools and a Jesuit university, though I dumped all the religion years ago.  I'm semi-retired at 58 but if a decent IT contract came along I'd think about taking it.  I became obsessed with the Duggar hypocrisy when the scandals hit, then got sucked into the various rabbit holes of the Rodrigues and Anderson families. 

Have lived and worked internationally but am glad to be back in NE.  This is a great community and am glad to be involved. 

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I've been a lurker for a very, very, very long time (as in just after the Rapture), and I figured I should just sign up already and be less of a creepy lurker. I don't really have much to add to the topics, but I like reading them. I'm Canadian, raised Catholic, but I consider myself Pagan, and everything fundie is pretty foreign to me. A lot of the quiverfull stuff flabbers my ghast especially. I've never actually seen any of the Duggar shows and I'm not about to start if I can help it. I can't even remember how I ended up here in the first place. 

• Upvote 4

Hello! I'm a long-time lurker but finally decided to get an account to hopefully dig a bit deeper into Lori Alexander. I first fell down the Duggar rabbit hole in 2009 and the again during Joshgate. I'm a SAHM and currently live in the Northeast, but I grew up in the south in a town that proudly proclaims itself the Buckle of the Bible Belt. Most of the people I grew up with could be considered fundie lite and I know several homeschooling anti-vaxxers with full arsenals who are just foaming at the mouth for an apocalypse. I think I need FJ in my life right now to cope with their internet presence in my life.

• Upvote 2

A hearty welcome to the new people!  Looking forward to reading your posts!

• Upvote 1

Hi all! Whilst I've been a member now for about half a year and before that had been lurking since just before all the joshley drama. I don't tend to post much but follow the Bates, Maxwells and Nauglers despite having started off with the Duggar's.

I'm 19 and currently attend university over here in the UK! I'm not that religious but was raised in a loosely Christian family though we didn't really go to church or anything other than Christmas and Easter. Having never met anyone extremely religious I was shocked when I first learnt of the Duggar's and then again when I stumbled across FJ. To me it had always seemed that some sectors of other religions had those with more extreme views on matters such as clothing and relationships. :my_cry: It's been great though learning about fundamentalism within Christianity though I've still yet to come across anyone in my daily life who's even fundy-lite.

• Upvote 2

Hello. I've been following this forum off and on for something like 9 or 10 years, no idea if I have that right, only it was sometime after the Hizzy began at TWoP, and I had a friend there who shared my Duggar fascination who told me about it. Sometimes I haven't followed it when it was a little on the shouty side, but then I'd miss it and find it again. I learn a lot here, about people, and what goes on in the world.

I'm 51, my youngest of six kids just turned 18, and I live a fairly banal domestic life, but mostly because of an eccentric spirit rather than a helpmeet one. I'm married but permanently separated. We're friends. I love to garden, sew, paint and cook, read, and write. I am in no way religious, but spent my first 33 years in a variety of church settings, from Catholic to Vineyard and lots in between, and once worked for an evangelist, a job I got through knowing the "right" people.

I'm into tao, not as a religous practice, just as an "is." I'm not very tao about winter, but getting better.

I enjoy Mormon Mommy blogs, and also reading about people who've left the peculiar folds in which they grew up.

Edited by backyard sylph
spelling error

Just thought I would take a minute to say hello & introduce myself.  

I am 29 years old, from Canada & engaged to be married next September.  No kids and currently no future plans to have any.  Our cat is our only child.  I spend my time on FJ to pass my free time at my day job.  So far it's been great and I have had many laughs. 

I find Sierra Jo Dominguez & Priscilla Waller to be the biggest train wrecks to me.  Those wide eyes have provided me with more amusement then they should.  I look forward to much more entertainment here :)

• Upvote 3

Hello! I've been on this site for a while but i only recently became allowed to create an account (just turned the legal age :pb_biggrin:). I'm in my first year at university. I live in New Zealand, and here it is hard to meet people who also follow the fundies (well for me, anyway). I love cats!! And have a fluffy ginger kitty. 

This is exciting! My first post on FJ. Hurrah!

• Upvote 4

Hi all! I've been lurking for a while because I find cults weirdly and horrifyingly fascinating and it's good to know I'm not the only one.  The FLDS, fundamentalist Islam, and North Korea were my gateways to learning about cults but I started lurking because the Duggars make me passionately angry.  Josh getting away with what he did, this family getting away with sweeping child molestation under the rug, and the fact that they were rewarded with more TV time makes me ragey.

I have gay relatives and am tired of seeing them (as part of the overall LGBTQIA+ community) maligned by fundies.  I hate the influence fundies have in our society and politics.  I feel alienated in the political process in our country because the fundigelicals have taken over the Republican party while the Democrats seem blinded to the damage caused by Islamic fundamentalism.

I'm from the Chicago area so I'm usually either freezing my ass off or baking to death. 

• Upvote 3

Hi all,

Thanks to FJ I've fallen down many rabbit holes but the Naugler saga is what pushed me to join and post.  I'm a liberal NYer living in the sunshine state.  My ex's family is Fundie-lite. I never could describe them until I started reading here! Thank you for giving me perspective, vocabulary  and an education on all things fundie.  

• Upvote 3

I don't know if this is for newbies or not. But I'll introduce myself. 

I was a long time luker  and found FJ through America's favorite family (Duggars) I thought they were weird as fuck. I was right. I actually looked up to them when I first discovered them. Actually told people to be like them. Lets send our kids to JTTH. Stupid clueless me. FJ also introduce me to the Maxwells. I thought fundies can't get any worse. I was wrong.

To make it short and sweet:

I'm a working married mom/ wife. 

Love traveling, reading, shopping. 

Love crime shows and animals

I consider myself a semi strict parent. 

And my biggest passion and heart calling is being a foster parent and adopting from foster care. 

I also grew up in a strict religious no sex before marriage christian family and went to catholic school.  But they weren't that damn crazy like some fundies. 

I'm not good at intros. 

Edited by Toothfairy
  • Upvote 3

Yes, the Nauglers have been a major draw for me too. I want to homeschool my kids and folks like them make it very hard to defend that decision to the many detractors I've run into both within and outside my family.  Simply put, I want to homeschool to provide *more* academic rigor, not less.

• Upvote 2

On Tuesday, July 12, 2016 at 9:22 PM, Arwen said:

Yes, the Nauglers have been a major draw for me too. I want to homeschool my kids and folks like them make it very hard to defend that decision to the many detractors I've run into both within and outside my family.  Simply put, I want to homeschool to provide *more* academic rigor, not less.

I homeschool too. Only two. My homeschool standards are more rigorous than a lot of public schools

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone :-)

I'm a 29 years old mom from Germany, my husband's Italian.

I signed up just a few days ago and I already love this site :-)

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hey There. Mid-twenties from the southern portion of the United States. Grew up Baptist in a church where the pastor said Jesus didn't turn water to wine but water to grape juice. I am a conservative Christian and a bleeding heart (I don't think these things have to be mutually exclusive). Mostly, I focus on trying to live like Jesus. I wear pants, don't drink, am in graduate school and work full-time. I also travel without my husband or a chaperone so my fundie level is about 18%.

I show my knees about 4 days out of the week :-)

• Upvote 4

Hello! I've been lurking since Joshgate broke, and decided to make an account but have mainly continued lurking. Found the Nauglers after the Duggars went off the air and things seemed to quiet down, and I've been looking at some other threads since they've dropped off a bit, trying to make sure I know how the community works before I dive in! I live in the Midwest and am currently going to grad school while working full-time, so obviously I need lots of distractions ;)

• Upvote 2