• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
samurai_sarah

Introduce yourself- Part 3

Sia

Hello there.  There's not a lot to tell because I stumbled upon this site searching for a sims 3 challenge based on Quiverfull-type beliefs. 

So a bit about me:

I'm English and am therefore technically registered as CoE due to some interesting legal quirks.  But paperwork doesn't always line up with reality so agnostic atheist as far as actual beliefs go but I don't care enough to do all the necessary paperwork.     But yeah, late 20s and started learning to knit about three months prior to Easter.    I'm making progress slowly but surely.   I've made a little rabbit and I'm currently working on some baby booties.

Oh, and I really don't, at the moment, understand the difference between BEC and Snark so yeah...I'm gonna ask there.   

Willowfer

Hi there. First post from a longtime lurker, etc.

I developed an interest in fringe religious beliefs, cults, and the like in the mid-2000s, around the same time my high school friends got hooked on TLC shows. I happened across Homeschoolers Anonymous in late college and started following some folks' personal blogs. Cynthia Jeub's writing and research in particular drew me in. (Gawd, it's hard to phrase things without sounding like I view real people's lives the same way a bored zoo visitor looks at tide pools.) And seeing as she posts here on occasion along with some other lovely folks, I figured I'd commit and join.

As for personal background, I was raised Catholic in an intensely conservative, Protestant Reformed area of the Midwest. Now, I consider myself culturally Catholic and functionally agnostic. I have a degree in English and far more interest in effective communication than following the rules (translation: I am hiding my intellectual insecurities with my writing style beneath personal philosophy and attempts at humor).

Chamomile

Hello! I’ve lurked awhile and decided to join, though I imagine I'll be more of a reader than a poster. I was a once a teenage sister-mom in denim jumpers. My family started leaning “fundie” in the late-90’s. They were (still are) Christians from chaotic homes that were searching for a simpler, more idyllic, structured, family-oriented lifestyle. We never settled truly comfortably into any niche and generally took the more extreme lines of thought with a grain of salt, but we did bounce around a lot looking for “THE WAY” and finding this site was like stumbling upon a play-by-play of my childhood. ATI/IBLP. Vision Forum. The Pearls. We did all that. My mom used Teri Maxwell’s scheduling book. It was bizzare to find this site and at first I felt so uncomfortable. It felt indirectly a little humiliating --- all these principles that we sacrificed for and took so seriously were actually viewed as harmful and/or ridiculous?

Now that I have a daughter of my own, of course I want the best life and future for her possible. I have to struggle against not defaulting to old thought patterns just because that is what is comfortable and familiar. Reading FJ has been part of a journey, giving different perspectives, so thank you for that and thank you for reading! 

Babysitter
Posted (edited)

Hello! I've read here a lot and often find myself wanting to say something, so I thought I'd finally make an account. I'll probably still read more than post, but who knows.

I don't think I knew fundies existed until I saw and early Duggar special in high school and have been fascinated ever since. I was baffled by the matching frumps and very clearly recall going to my Mom and being like, Mom, look at these people. WTF. (the wtf was in my head, because teenagers cursing around parents was aah) I grew up in a Presbyterian church, but a relatively liberal one in a very liberal family/town/state so religion has never been particular big to me. I've worked a lot with kids. I like guessing baby names, baking, and reading books that have nothing to with religion or finding a man. 

Edited by Babysitter
typo

LaParisienne

Hello. 

I rarely participate but love to read all of you so I decided to introduce myself a little bit. 

So, my surname is Lil, I'm 23 years old and a mom to a beautiful cat named Misfit ! I have been studying for 3 years and I'm now officially a social worker (a specialized educator, for real) aha. I use to work with autistic adults and deaf children. Now I'm working with french CPS. 

As for the religion, i have been raised catholic (Portuguese heritage ..) and only went to catholic schools. At 17-18, I rejected it all. I thought it was all hyprocrite. Now, I might believe in the man Jesus, not the religion but I don't know. Lol  

FullOfGravy
Posted (edited)

I think I'm pretty well introduced, just wanted a place to test-post.  I'm trying to reply to the latest JRod thread, and my post keeps getting eaten.

ETA: OK, so that worked.

Edited by FullOfGravy

Bassett Lady

Hello, 

I was raised hardcore fundie, as measured by the standards of this site. I grew up as a Missionary Kid and English is not my first language. 

I understand the criticisms of Missions, as I watched my parents fight, tirelessly, for the culture, language, and dignity of the people we served. I am proud of the medical clinic my parents built and the school they facilitated. Missions can be a blessing, but far too often it was Colonialism and Racism on steroids. 

I think watching my parents struggle to challenge other missionaries and mission organizations to be ethical, loving, kind, patient, generous and empowering allowed me to develop critical thinking and evaluation tools about my religious beliefs. 

I think most FJ members would call me fundie-light. 

I live in the middle of the United States, now. Religiously,  I am a follower of Christ, but I find myself befuddled, and often times at odds, with what passes for Christianity in many circles. 

I have three biological kids and a herd of kids I have fostered. We have adopted four kiddos. With so many kids in Foster Care, I felt our family should grow by loving others as Christ loves me. 

I homeschooled most our kids, but my foster kids are in our public school. It is a decent school, and we have a good working relationship, but most of my foster kids come to us so far behind in school that it is always a challenge. I end up teaching them each evening and most Saturdays for an hour or two as we try to play catch up. 

My permanent kids homeschool year round, four days a week. At 16 they transition to concurrent enrollment at our Community college😊. All of the older kids have gone on to University. One has a Master’s Degree, one is in grad school, one is an engineer, one graduates in May with an Education Degree, two more graduate the next May in Graphic Design and Elementary Ed. 

One is slugging through Algebra 1 at the SOTDRT as I write this. 

Education brought me to Free Jinger. For years I FOUGHT the influences of the “homeschool” monsters who didn’t want their kids fully educated. I watched a beloved co-op dissolve under the cancer of Stay at Home Daughters and sons being denied  a chance for college. It made my blood boil 😡 and for the life of me I cannot figure out how they justified this intellectual abuse under the guise of my loving faith. 

My husband and I both hold advanced degrees from fully accredited colleges. Our kids all attend public universities. None of them has left their faith. (Because it is their faith, not something we shove onto them.) All our kids know our Love and Support is unconditional. If one of them left the faith I would be sad, but NOTHING could ever make me stop loving my kids. 

I live my life in dresses 👗 because I like them. I homeschool because I enjoy it and I do it well. I live a quiet life and I live a modest life. I try to think twice before I speak, walk a mile in someone’s shoes, and do unto everyone the way I want them to treat me. 

I believe prayer changes things, but most of the time what it changes is me. 

I rescue dogs, and have a permanent Basset Hound on hand at all times to remind me what really matters, and I  try to love my fellow humans in word and deed.

I struggle with wrath once in a while because I would really like to kick Doug Phillips someplace squishy.  

Vivi_music

Hello everyone, I decided to re-introduce myself on here.

Last time I posted on here was (according to my account) late 2015. So almost 3 years now. For some reasons, I had stopped following the Fundies and recently, I've been back into the rabbit hole. And of course, watching the Fundies without FJ snark was no fun so I started lurking the forum again, until I decided to create myself an new account. But turns out my old one is still here. I had no idea my account still existed on the forum but I am happy it does.

As for me, I'm a 27 YO, I studied history, finished college 2 years ago. I am actually now back in college for some night classes while having a full time job. (!) Which means I'll try to be active on here but life will probably get in the way. I am from Québec, Canada. As a lot of Québécois, I was raised Catholic. I might add though, my family was ''very very laid back'' Catholic. So probably a very different experience than some members on here.

I discovered the Fundie world through the Duggars like a good majority of people. I was not familiar with it until I saw it on TV (considering it is not common where I am from). I hope to be able to exchange with people on the forum here on tons of different subjects. Happy to be part (once again) of the FJ community.

Edited by Vivi_music
Typo

pook
28 minutes ago, Vivi_music said:

Hello everyone, I decided to re-introduce myself on here.

Last time I posted on here was (according to my account) late 2015. So almost 3 years now. For some reasons, I had stopped following the Fundies and recently, I've been back into the rabbit hole. And of course, watching the Fundies without FJ snark was no fun so I started lurking the forum again, until I decided to create myself an new account. But turns out my old one is still here. I had no idea my account still existed on the forum but I am happy it does.

As for me, I'm a 27 YO, I studied history, finished college 2 years ago. I am actually now back in college for some night classes while having a full time job. (!) Which means I'll try to be active on here but life will probably get in the way. I am from Québec, Canada. As a lot of Québécois, I was raised Catholic. I might add though, my family was ''very very laid back'' Catholic. So probably a very different experience than some members on here.

I discovered the Fundie world through the Duggars like a good majority of people. I was not familiar with it until I saw it on TV (considering it is not common where I am from). I hope to be able to exchange with people on the forum here on tons of different subjects. Happy to be part (once again) of the FJ community.

Hello and welcome!  I am not Catholic but rather an agnostic who just happened to be born in Montreal (my Anglo parents were living there due to Dad's job in the 1970s) and I attended an all French school until we moved to Toronto in 1980, at which time I transitioned easily into the French Immersion stream.  As such, I am bilingual in French and my parents barely speak a word.  I hold a bilingual RN nursing job in telehealth.  Although I was not born Francophone or Parisian (my teachers were both) I consider French culture to be a very big part of my identity if that makes any sense.  I too discovered FJ via the Duggars but what initially brought me here was someone posted a link to FJ via a MckMama (there's a rabbit hole) snark thread.  Also I was looking for a place to heal after a failed marriage to a patriarchal headship under the usual umbrella of religion.  I am now healed and also happy to meet you.

Vivi_music
On 9/23/2018 at 5:17 PM, pook said:

Hello and welcome!  I am not Catholic but rather an agnostic who just happened to be born in Montreal (my Anglo parents were living there due to Dad's job in the 1970s) and I attended an all French school until we moved to Toronto in 1980, at which time I transitioned easily into the French Immersion stream.  As such, I am bilingual in French and my parents barely speak a word.  I hold a bilingual RN nursing job in telehealth.  Although I was not born Francophone or Parisian (my teachers were both) I consider French culture to be a very big part of my identity if that makes any sense.  I too discovered FJ via the Duggars but what initially brought me here was someone posted a link to FJ via a MckMama (there's a rabbit hole) snark thread.  Also I was looking for a place to heal after a failed marriage to a patriarchal headship under the usual umbrella of religion.  I am now healed and also happy to meet you.

Bonjour Pook!

Enchantée as well. I can totally see how French would be important part of your identity. I'm glad you were able to keep that little part of Montreal with you after you moved. Especially finding a job where you can use your bilinguism, that's awesome. Maybe you should create a French club on here to discuss! :) 

I am glad you found a place on FJ to heal and are feeling better now. Happy to meet you as well.

pook
17 hours ago, Vivi_music said:

Bonjour Pook!

Enchantée as well. I can totally see how French would be important part of your identity. I'm glad you were able to keep that little part of Montreal with you after you moved. Especially finding a job where you can use your bilinguism, that's awesome. Maybe you should create a French club on here to discuss! :) 

I am glad you found a place on FJ to heal and are feeling better now. Happy to meet you as well.

Thank you so very much for your kind words!