IGNORED

Introduce Yourself- Part 3

samurai_sarah

Hello. I've been lurking on and off on FJ for a while now. Figured I'd jump into the discussion every now and then. I've been watching the Duggars since they had just 14 kids.

Edited by YeahWhatever007
  • Upvote 3

Hello. I've been lurking on and off on FJ for a while now. Figured I'd jump into the discussion every now and then. I've been watching the Duggars since they had just 14 kids.

New time model: Duggar time.

"How long have you been here?"
"Five kids ago."
  • Upvote 8

5 hours ago, THERetroGamerNY said:

New time model: Duggar time.

"How long have you been here?"
"Five kids ago."

Lol good one ;-)

• Upvote 1

Hello!

I joined Free Jinger back in May, but I haven't had the time to post much since then (I have enjoyed lurking though) :)

I'm a college student on the East Coast who was raised in a very conservative Christian home.  My family is not fundamentalist per se, but still holds to the ideas of restricted dress, relationships, parenting philosophies, and roles of women.  Growing up, I was taught that a woman's place was in the home, and women were under submission to men.  

I still live with my parents (for financial reasons), so it's been difficult trying to rebuild and stand up for my beliefs.

Y'all seem like smart, genuine people, and I hope to be challenged here!  

:tw_glasses:   :tw_heart:

(I've been lurking for about 2 years :D)

• Upvote 6

Hello FJ friends!

I've lurked around the site for a long time now and will probably continue to lurk more than post as many of my thoughts are better said by others! 

I grew up Independent Baptist (although not super fundie) and am now non-denominational with some charismatic leanings. I was homeschooled for several years but ultimately graduated from public school. 

I've learned more about my religious upbringing on FJ than I ever did in Sunday school or church! I appreciate reading everyone's experiences and opinions. 

• Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, I've been nervous to just jump in and start posting. We have a big family (because we like kids, not because of any religious mandates) and I'm hoping I can answer some of the questions I've seen about everyday life with lots of kids but at the same time I feel like an outsider because of it.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, pancakes said:

Thank you, I've been nervous to just jump in and start posting. We have a big family (because we like kids, not because of any religious mandates) and I'm hoping I can answer some of the questions I've seen about everyday life with lots of kids but at the same time I feel like an outsider because of it.

Hey, as long as you can financially and emotionally support your kids and don't try to purposely limit their choices and opportunities in life, I don't think anybody here will make you feel like an outsider just because of your family size.  Welcome aboard. I'd definitely be interested in how you manage life with a bunch of kids.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Playagirl said:

Hey, as long as you can financially and emotionally support your kids and don't try to purposely limit their choices and opportunities in life, I don't think anybody here will make you feel like an outsider just because of your family size.  Welcome aboard. I'd definitely be interested in how you manage life with a bunch of kids.

I won't pretend we're jetting off for ski vacations each winter but we pay our own way, not qualifying for let alone accepting assistance. Our kids are two to a room because there just aren't any nine bedroom houses available and we move fairly often for job reasons so it doesn't make sense to build something we might have trouble selling. We encourage and expect our kids to go to college unless they have a good plan that does not involve higher education. We did homeschool for a couple years when we were living where the local schools weren't great and we found, after one school year, that the nearby private school was not fitting our needs. Our oldest ended up being allowed to skip ahead a grade since our self style curriculum was ahead of the public schools. I myself am college educated and my husband has a masters as well. We got married when I was 20 and we were still in college. We didn't have much money then but have done well since. I've never worked outside the home since we got married but I do 'work' in the form of reviewing products for companies. I don't get a paycheck but we've received everything from vacuum cleaners to laptops to car seats for free in exchange for my time evaluating the products.

It's a real challenge to keep this from running into a novel, so please bear with me. I am pretty much an open book, but as I've pointed different family members here, and know one of my relatives is a member (altho I think she's been inactive for years), I want to be mindful of them and their feelings. 

That said, if you're going to publish your life, that material is fair game. And if you're going to misrepresent who I am and what I stand for to THE ENTIRE INTERWEBS, regardless of how small your following, eventually, be prepared for some sort of response. 

When I found this place, complete with resource links for recovering from religious abuse, I lurked and laughed and cried. It was wonderful to hear others mock fundyspeak! 

I finally joined because I couldn't believe my mother wasn't already here and I wanted to start a thread! After her description of me on her Standing Rock post, I realized our relationship will never be salvaged unless she changes. 20 yrs in, it's seeming unlikely.

I admit I'm a little freaked out by board culture; for example, the way folks in this thread welcome the newbies. It feels like a church response, and immediately feel my pulse rate increase. Lol. A little gun shy, even tho I know it's intended as genuinely kind. 

I was raised in rebellion to Gothard's teachings, but was always what you might call a 'seeker'. I have extensively studied many religions and history, and frequently hopped the "poor kid" buses on Sundays to see what was out there. I was terrified of hell.

Right before my 18th bday, my mother decided to become a preacher lady, and I opted for sex, drugs, and rock'n'roll.

Now I'm 40, and I just want a community that gets how messed up it is to be judged as ETERNALLY punished by your parents! I know I'm too old for these mommy issues, but the scars run deep when it comes to legalistic righteousness.

Bam. 

• Upvote 3

Thanks for the introduction, and yes, you will find we are a pleasant group :)  Looking forward to your posts.

• Upvote 1

Hi all. EX Catholic and former nun hopeful here. Once I was old enough to defy madre and drop Catholicism, I began trying on a variety religions. Thanks to the sanctimony and sheer lunacy of them all to one degree or another, I set out to reaffirm my faith via copious amounts of study. My efforts lead me to read several versions of the bible cover to cover making notes as I went.  No matter which church I went to, nobody could give a logical sensible answer to the copious contradictions and outright inaccuracies it contained.  "Just have faith", "You're taking it out of context", and "Don't take that so literally" in one breath while insisting other parts were meant to be taken literally (the commandments for instance) just didn't fly with me. Especially considering not a single bible has margin notes saying *Take this literally, *Strictly a matter of faith so just trust this  part or,*Only a figure of speech and nobody can even agree on which is which. My ability to comprehend what I read is more than adequate so, some man trying to convince me that words have flexible meanings beyond common acceptable definition is pretty darned offensive.  Don't try to tell me that "Thou Shalt not" only means 'you shouldn't unless you can make up a good story that circumvents the rule'. Take your bible, your pretzel logic, weak excuses, pitiful justifications for infanticide and dozens of other horrors, along with your bastardization of words and context, and the rest of your fuckery as far away from me as possible thanks.

Once I began to seriously consider how god apparently answers prayers for parking spots, sports wins, and divine guidance on every day decisions while simultaneously ignoring the desperate pleas of the ten thousand or so people who die every single day from a combination of dehydration and starvation, I was beyond done. I mean, how arrogant do you have to be to believe a loving god would supply you with just enough sugar for the church social cookies you're, while cruelly ignoring the pleas for a piece of bread or thimble full of water from a small hungry child?  After much pondering on these things, short story long, I'm an Atheist now. People ask me about my eternal soul but as far as I'm concerned, if there is a god, he/she owes one hell of an explanation to an awful lot of people, myself included. Despite my firm belief that religion is a sham (prosperity gospel anyone?) and a tool used to control the masses, I try to be respectful about it. If you try to shove your bible down my throat though, expect me to shove something down yours. Otherwise, peace be with you. Amen.  :my_angel: I could go on but I've rambled enough for now. I'm sure you agree. ;)

I've been lurking for a couple of months and reading threads like I'm getting paid for it. So much good information here and some hilarious commentary as well!. Once I read the thread about Steve aka PP I felt convicted to post. :my_biggrin::my_biggrin:  Wow, writing that without laughing wasn't possible. I've started using words/phrases like "Convicted",  "Purposed", and "THE LORD" pretty regularly now, the last one said in my very best charismatic preacher voice. Thanks to the influence of FJ, my husband and friends who already thought I was rowing with one oar, are convinced my boat is truly up the creek with no paddles.  Thankfully they wouldn't have me any other way. So....nice to meet you all.

• Upvote 5

@WendigoAgogo, that is an interesting background in religion.  I look forward to your contributions here.   The Pissing Pastor is a very good place to start out on FJ.  

I think many of us have had the odd lapse into Fundie-speak and have had people look at us sideways.  My husband has become quite used to it but I surprised him with "rescue ferret" recently.  So let us know if you need a couple loaded up with sustenance when you fall down other rabbit holes on FJ.:)

• Upvote 3

Hi I'm newish I joined and posted and then forgot the forum existed. So now I'm back. I'm a Jewish person who is raising two minions in a very very findie part of the country. We have Pentecostals on every street corner trying to save our 'Christ killing' souls. At first I was a bit afraid of posting here because we are religious but I'm not a shove it down your throat or it take precedent over my kids learning or enjoying things. Kids wear tank tops and shorts and are learning Klingon right now thanks to elders star trek fascination. Honestly I think she does it because she can go out and speak Hebrew and throw in Klingon and most people don't have a clue. She's kind of a troll like that.

• Upvote 5

Hi all!  I am a 30 year old married mama of 4!   I was raised as a baptist, but not really religious anymore.  I've been following the Duggars for quite some time, as I was just amazed at how such a big family could function.  Now that I am aware of the more sinister side, I have come to realize they aren't the perfect family they portray.  I have enjoyed reading the boards here, looks like there is a lot to catch up on!

• Upvote 4

Hi FJers! I have been lurking since the Yuku days and have been a member for a long time, but have rarely posted. I am not experienced with message boards, so I'm still somewhat hesitant about posting. I discovered FJ because I was reading a college message board some years ago when my kiddos were going through the application process and a poster mentioned the term "courtship." I googled it, Cap'n Bret somehow popped up, and there I went, down the S'Morton rabbit hole! Fast forward, kiddos are out of college AND grad school and I am still following the S'Mortons, along with some of the other fundies that I have discovered here. Yikes! 

A bit about me: late 50s, married, retired, Christian (Episcopalian), with deep roots in the South. My darling headship is an agnostic, as is one of the kids. Works fine for us. I have always been fascinated with religions in general, and particularly with Christian fundamentalism. 

Thanks all!

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I'm Kangaroo, and you can have 3 guesses where I'm from!  I recently had my 23rd birthday, and I'm currently studying at university and working part time.

I've been lurking for a while, thought it might be nice to actually join in on the conversations.

Lovely to finally get involved and chat with everyone!

• Upvote 3

Hi, everyone!  Long time lurker.  This site has been a great resource for learning more about the fundie families.  I have been married for 17 years to a great guy, no kids (by choice, which I'm sure J'chelle would have a field day with).  I live in the mid-Atlantic and am a huge sports fan.  And I'm a slave to my two cats....

Anyway, I have spent a lot of time lurking, reading and getting a feel for the community and now I'm ready to tread lightly and begin contributing!

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I've been lurking here since Jill's courtship, and finally decided to register. 

Better late that never.

• Upvote 3

Hello, everyone.

I'm a 50 year old working single mum (Lori would hate me), who lives in the UK.  I'm not religious, other than a brief fling with born again Christianity as a teen, but have nothing against those who are as long as they aren't extreme.  I studied theology at Uni and have always been interested in religion, the Duggars were my gateway fundies but FJ has introduced me to many more. As I don't know anyone in real life who shares my fundie obsession I thought I'd stop lurking and join.

• Upvote 4

Nice to see so many new members with varied backgrounds.  Welcome and please start posting.   :)

@Teaistheway, your screen name gave me a big chuckle.  Heistheway is the worst Fundie name ever!  You might be interested in the Missionary to Scotland thread as we are covering several IFB missionaries to other places in the UK and Europe there too. 

• Upvote 3

I just realized I've been posting here for several month, yet never made an introduction. So...

I am 33 years old and live in the Midwest. My hobbies/interests include reading, watching TV, cats, fashion and music (especially classical, but I like most genres).

My DH and I have been married for four years. We are currently making  plans to build a house, and have also been TTC since March. The house thing is going a lot better than the TTC thing right now.

I grew up United Methodist and went to a Catholic school for several years (even though I myself am not Catholic, I have a lot of family members who are, so I am pretty familiar with that denomination). I returned to public school in 9th grade. Ironically, public school was really my first exposure to the fundie lite/fundie version of Christianity. I remember "I Kissed Dating Goodbye" being a big thing, and it seemed  like most of my classmates attended non-denominational mega-churches. I never bought into it myself, and still don't.

As an adult, I have been active in a few mainline Protestant churches (Presbyterian and UMC) up until a few years ago. There wasn't any really big thing that drove me away from the church-it was more like just the demands of my career, and not wanting one more thing in my life I felt like I "had" to do. DH's religious background is similar to mine, and once we get our housing situation settled we are open to finding a new church to attend together. Part of my fascination with fundies is because of how removed their lifestyle is from my experiences. I graduated from college, have a career and have been working since I was 15. DH and I have had complete control over our relationship since Day 1...basically, my experiences have been the complete opposite of everything fundies stand for. And I can't imagine it being any other way.

I've met a lot of cool people here so far, and look forward to getting to know all of you better!

• Upvote 4