Have you seen it?

Favorite Song? 

Thoughts?

I have a theory I'd love to get opinions on. 

My theory is that telling the story is Aaron Burr's Punishment for Killing Alexander. He is forever having to tell what he did wrong while the others move on, I don't know if this is what Lin intended but it makes sense in my crazy mind. 

I haven't seen it but it's all the rage among the musical theater/drama kids that my daughter is a part of. She loveloveloves it and listens to the soundtrack pretty much non-stop.

I've listened to a few things, and so far really like "Alexander Hamilton," "Helpless," and "You'll Be Back" (out of the ones I've heard so far. I'm not sure if I've heard the entire soundtrack, though).

The show is going to be performed on-tour in San Francisco next spring, so we're hoping to go then.

She would probably like the Book, It has the whole show in it and explains how he came up with certain things. 

14 minutes ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

She would probably like the Book, It has the whole show in it and explains how he came up with certain things. 

Ooooh. Good gift idea! Thanks!

I don't have the time or the cash to see it! I'd love to, though. I enjoy many of the songs and I'd like to see how it all plays out on the stage.

I would love to see it, but Kentucky isn't on tour schedules usually =/   Non-Stop, Satisfied and Alexander Hamilton are my fave songs but I love them all and listen to the soundtrack pretty often.

It should be at the TPAC in 2017-2018 if it follows the trend of other shows.

4 minutes ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

It should be at the TPAC in 2017-2018 if it follows the trend of other shows.

I would lose my ever-lovin mind.

I haven't heard any songs but it's on my want to see list.  Granted at some point this will probably be a broadway in Chicago bit because it will be a while before it hits KC or St Louis. 

My favorite songs are "The Schuyler Sisters", "My Shot", "Burn", "Guns and Ships" and "Who Lives Who Dies Who Tells Your Story"

I saw it in January. It is fantastic--not just a "hip-hop" musical, but encompassing all sorts of musical genres, from jazz to pop. It really does live up to the hype. 

My favorite song is Wait For It, sung by Leslie Odom Jr., who plays Aaron Burr. The show portrays Burr as in constant social and political competition with Hamilton, and always coming in second to him. He grows increasingly frustrated as the show progresses, and this song represents this. It's incredibly powerful--as in chill-bump-inducing--in the show. 

Lin Manuel said he gave two of his best songs, Wait For It and The Room Where It Happens to Odom.  Leslie Odom Jr. does have a gorgeous voice.

1 hour ago, violynn said:

Lin Manuel said he gave two of his best songs, Wait For It and The Room Where It Happens to Odom.  Leslie Odom Jr. does have a gorgeous voice.

I think Odom Jr. is really the stand-out in the current cast--not to take away from the others, mind you. He has an incredibly powerful stage presence, and is able make the audience feel sympathy for Burr, who comes off as a very unsympathetic character in most historical accounts of the era. Hoping he wins a Tony for his performance!

It's so amazing that Lin did it himself, It's sad Leslie is "stepping back" in the summer

14 hours ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

It's so amazing that Lin did it himself, It's sad Leslie is "stepping back" in the summer

Rumor is that many of the current cast will be leaving in July or so. I don't think it will really matter, though--the show itself is great, and it will be interesting to see how new actors interpret the characters.

yep, I see some coming back or launching the tour though 

Yall have to check out Hamilton's Easter Bonnet video! 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm seeing Hamilton in 120 days! I can't wait. I've always hated history and hip hop, but I absolutely love Hamilton. Go figure. I've yet to check out In The Heights, Lin's other musical, but I definitely need to give it a try.

• 1 month later...

I miss being able to hit up NYC twice a yr for dance and theater. I would to see it with its original cast. I reckon I must wait for the touring company.

I had no luck getting tix for the Chicago production but I think I can sniff out a pair.

Apparently Lin Miranda will be spending a good deal of time in Chicago the next few months - I work near the BoA Theater so I will be keeping my eyes open lol.

My fave songs of the moment are You'll Be Back, Say No To This, and Room Where It Happened, and Battle of Yorktown. It's like picking your favorite donut - they are all delicious, but some tickle your fancy more than others.

• 1 month later...

Found a bootleg on YT (I know, bad!) and holy shitnickels, I haven't cried at a musical like that since Les Mis came out as a film. I love Satisfied, Wait For It, and Stay Alive (Reprise) killed me as the mommy of a little boy, but my very favorite is the finale "Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story" where we basically see Eliza become the hero of the story. From what I've read, she was seriously tireless about continuing the legacy and telling his side of the story up until her dying day. Lived to be 97, too. The woman was incredible and tbh was way too good for him.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/22/2016 at 7:05 AM, drivingmishcrazy said:

Found a bootleg on YT (I know, bad!) and holy shitnickels, I haven't cried at a musical like that since Les Mis came out as a film. I love Satisfied, Wait For It, and Stay Alive (Reprise) killed me as the mommy of a little boy, but my very favorite is the finale "Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story" where we basically see Eliza become the hero of the story. From what I've read, she was seriously tireless about continuing the legacy and telling his side of the story up until her dying day. Lived to be 97, too. The woman was incredible and tbh was way too good for him.

I may or may not have watched it and Wow I can't wait to see it live some day 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to see it it in Chicago on the 28th and I fully expect to cry the whole time- Hamilton might be the best musical I've ever heard of.

Archived