IGNORED

David Botkin is *glad* life is short!

Marian the Librarian

From David Botkin's public Facebook page:

At 70-80 years, life is short, and I'm thankful that it's so short. 
For a non-believer, that's plenty long to repent and believe in - and plenty of time to store up wrath for eternity. Can you imagine how much sin and guilt a person could pile up if they lived 200 years? <shudder>
For a believer, that's plenty long to have to wait to see Christ and to deal with our sin nature. 
So, life is short and I'm thankful for that.

These people are such a barrel of laughs...:pb_rollseyes:

Self-assured,smug arsehole doesn't even begin to cover it. Good thing David's one of the Elect& that Perseverance of the Saints is a thing.  I'm pretty sure even God doesn't have the patience to deal with that sort of crap for a whole 3 score & 10.

I almost downvoted, then remembered that it won't affect David :P

@Koala, what you said!  I want to live to be 100 at least, like Beverly Cleary, Norman Lloyd and my neighbor.  I would still see my neighbor out in her yard up until she moved into a retirement home just before she turned 100.  Norman Lloyd played tennis several times a week past his hundredth birthday.  I want to be like those people -vital in old age.

What the hell is he doing and not sharing if he thinks that 200 years would be too much a burden of guilt and that 70-80 years is long enough to build up enough sins to need to go deal with them with God?

12 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

OMG, I almost did the same thing, too! :lol:

I agree with David but I think 65 is a fine age to die. I think this, in large part, because I have a diagnosis of clinical depression. 

Thus, my immediate response upon reading this topic's title was, "Well, sure he does--even if he wasn't born with depression, living in that family has driven him to it."

I will go so far as to bet that the whole "years of wickedness" stuff is just window-dressing and a chance to gain points with Papa by bringing "sin" into it. 

Again, how the Botkins call themselves "Christian" and yet never mention Jesus' redeeming work, nor even Christians' chances to serve others in response to God's mercy -- it never fails to impress me. Negatively 

13 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Koala, what you said!  I want to live to be 100 at least, like Beverly Cleary, Norman Lloyd and my neighbor.  I would still see my neighbor out in her yard up until she moved into a retirement home just before she turned 100.  Norman Lloyd played tennis several times a week past his hundredth birthday.  I want to be like those people -vital in old age.

My grandmother lived to be 100, and was in pretty good health until her last couple of years. I've also got several other women in my family tree who lived to be in their 80s and 90s, so I really hope I inherited that longevity gene, too!

And Beverly Cleary. I'm in awe that an author who wrote books that so influenced me when I was a child (fifty years ago!) is still very much alive and well at 100.

Not sure what David is blathering about here since his own grandmother lived to be 94 after a full & satisfying life, according to David's mother:

And through the years that followed, she continued to choose life. In time, the Lord turned her heart to Him and she grew in grace. For the last thirteen years, though she has been unable to read, through losing her vision to macular degeneration, has been pretty nearly deaf without her hearing aids and has been unable to walk more than a few steps, I never heard her complain. She was always upbeat, always encouraged.

Even these last two years. as her body's deterioration accelerated, whenever I asked her how she was feeling she always said the same thing, "Oh, I'm feeling fine; just fine." She chose to focus on life, and all the interesting and wonderful things that filled it, rather than on her declining health, her weaknesses and infirmities, She had pluck

For a much more mature view of the old (I REFUSE to the Maxhell term of "elderly") read Katie Botkin's loving remembrance of this woman who was undoubtedly a bigger person than her son or grandson.

I don't know if I believe David Botkin when he says he is glad life is short. I wonder if he would say the same if he/a close relative were facing a terminal illness. I have no studies to back this up but in my experience - fundies are the most likely to insist on all life preserving measures even if those measures have essentially zero chance of success or if the measures are almost certain to cause more (and sometimes much much more) harm than good. I haven't often seen a fundie choose palliative care - even when it seems inhumane to not choose palliative care. 

For length of days and long life And peace they will add to you.
Proverbs 3:2 NKJV
With long life I will satisfy him, And show him My salvation.
Psalms 91:16 NKJV

Read your Bible, David!

22 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

You can only downvote if you're predestined to downvote. 

Archived