IGNORED

Kim C. of LiaS pregnant again

Hisey

Perry's facebook for March 31 shows him with a t-shirt reading "Be Nice to Me, My Wife is Pregnant". The hashtag is "#baker's dozen".

Does that mean this is their 13th kid? I can't even keep track anymore.

I guess it is 13, since his facebook Intro says "Father of 13."

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Diana said:

Wow i am not sure if they can still be considered fundie anymore, but they are definetely still quiverfull!

Now that their eldest daughter is living out of wedlock with a man and posting cleavage pics on Facebook, they can't be quite as smug and obnoxious about their beliefs as they once were, since it didn't seem to work out so well for them. But I have absolutely no doubt that the VF Kool-Aid is still running through their veins. 

ETA: Hmm... Make that "WAS living with a man"; Seth Pharris now describes himself as "single."

https://www.facebook.com/seth.pharris.1?_rdr=p

On 11/4/2016 at 3:19 AM, DomWackTroll said:

Now that their eldest daughter is living out of wedlock with a man and posting cleavage pics on Facebook, they can't be quite as smug and obnoxious about their beliefs as they once were, since it didn't seem to work out so well for them. But I have absolutely no doubt that the VF Kool-Aid is still running through their veins. 

ETA: Hmm... Make that "WAS living with a man"; Seth Pharris now describes himself as "single."

https://www.facebook.com/seth.pharris.1?_rdr=p

But how can they be considered fundies if they allow their daughters still living at home to work as waitresses, wear pants, have social media and dye their hair green? not to mention that one of them(not the oldest, another one) has a boyfriend! thats not very VF approved... 

I just looked up her blog and I have to say, I love how the girl second from the right in the header image is throwing shade. Such side-eye! Is that the rebel daughter who lived in sin that @DomWackTroll mentioned?

31 minutes ago, bertnee said:

I just looked up her blog and I have to say, I love how the girl second from the right in the header image is throwing shade. Such side-eye! Is that the rebel daughter who lived in sin that @DomWackTroll mentioned?

No, that's not Deanna. I think it's third-born Lydia.

The Coghlans are interesting because the "kids" are third generation fundies and I think we get to actually see how that plays out. To some degree, Kim and Perry loosened the reins because they had no choice. Gender roles break down a little when you have seven girls in a row. Some "modesty" standards have to be relaxed when you live in a shack in south Texas. When your provider's company goes under in a wave of scandal, any kids who are old enough might have to work. 

I think they hope that by letting the little things slide, their kids will cling more tightly to the important parts of conservative christianity. It might actually work too, although I don't think they'll have 100% success. If I were those kids, but especially the oldest girls, I'd want to rebel against the poverty I grew up in if nothing else :pb_neutral:

I agree, they have loosened the reins out of financial necessity, but I still consider them fundy. They still don't believe in secular education or any sort of higher education. And they very much believe in wifely submission--no matter how fiesty Kim C seems to be.

14 hours ago, Diana said:

But how can they be considered fundies if they allow their daughters still living at home to work as waitresses, wear pants, have social media and dye their hair green? not to mention that one of them(not the oldest, another one) has a boyfriend! thats not very VF approved... 

Well, they were always different from the VF-ers who forced their little girls into matchy-matchy flowered jumpers and all that stuff. Hell, it was a miracle if the Coghlan kids were all fully dressed at the same time. 

Perry and Kim are the type of fundies who-- for whatever reason-- truly believe the theology but also have this need to prove that they're hip to worldly culture, especially music. Tim Bayly and RC Sproul Jr. are also this way, which alarms some of their followers. And Doug Wilson leads a hipster-coffee-house cult and has a really bad "dad rock band." But they are definitely all fundies. 

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

I agree, they have loosened the reins out of financial necessity, but I still consider them fundy. They still don't believe in secular education or any sort of higher education. And they very much believe in wifely submission--no matter how fiesty Kim C seems to be.

I think they are still obviously conservative closed minded people, but sometimes i wonder if the image they sold of themselves in their blog was just a lie all along, or a exageration. And i think the only reason they dont go to collegue is because they cant afford it.

1 hour ago, DomWackTroll said:

Well, they were always different from the VF-ers who forced their little girls into matchy-matchy flowered jumpers and all that stuff. Hell, it was a miracle if the Coghlan kids were all fully dressed at the same time. 

Perry and Kim are the type of fundies who-- for whatever reason-- truly believe the theology but also have this need to prove that they're hip to worldly culture, especially music. Tim Bayly and RC Sproul Jr. are also this way, which alarms some of their followers. And Doug Wilson leads a hipster-coffee-house cult and has a really bad "dad rock band." But they are definitely all fundies. 

Its funny because the teory i have of them is the oposite. I think they never believed the theology.  They stoped to be fundy the moment they could not win money with it, when the husband lost his job. So i am happy that the daughters can live now a regular life, travelling, having normal friends, working, dating etc, and obviously they are not going to end married to fundies (can you imagine lol) but on the other i think its a bit sad that the parents were so obviously in the cult for money alone, i think i respect more the ones that are brainwashed, because if you are damaging your kids this way at least be for a good reason...

1 minute ago, Diana said:

Its funny because the teory i have of them is the oposite. I think they never believed the theology.  They stoped to be fundy the moment they could not win money with it, when the husband lost his job. So i am happy that the daughters can live now a regular life, travelling, having normal friends, working, dating etc, and obviously they are not going to end married to fundies (can you imagine lol) but on the other i think its a bit sad that the parents were so obviously in the cult for money alone, i think i respect more the ones that are brainwashed, because if you are damaging your kids this way at least be for a good reason...

Except that Lydia is dating a fundie. Bradley Hinrichs, who is a homeschool grad who works at Samaritan Ministries. And Perry is a pastor at this church: http://www.christcovenantkirk.com/ , which is an offshoot of http://www.gcov.org/, (the church where daughter Deanna's ill-fated marriage took place, ) which is decidedly fundie.  

28 minutes ago, ladyamylynn said:

Except that Lydia is dating a fundie. Bradley Hinrichs, who is a homeschool grad who works at Samaritan Ministries. And Perry is a pastor at this churchhttp://www.christcovenantkirk.com/ , which is an offshoot of http://www.gcov.org/, (the church where daughter Deanna's ill-fated marriage took place, ) which is decidedly fundie.  

Re: bolded. Yet another fundie male who calls himself a "pastor" with absolutely no quals or training.

Unless, of course, to be a fundie pastor is to excel in lying, cheating, grifting, stealing & extorting money from your congregation. If so, Perry got the equivalent of at least a Master's from Doug Phillips Is A Rapist while working for VF.

2 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

You mean like Mark Driscoll?  Look how cool and hip I am wearing jeans and Mickey Mouse tshirt to preach.  Never mind the fundie theology I plagiarize.

2 hours ago, ladyamylynn said:

Except that Lydia is dating a fundie. Bradley Hinrichs, who is a homeschool grad who works at Samaritan Ministries. And Perry is a pastor at this church: http://www.christcovenantkirk.com/ , which is an offshoot of http://www.gcov.org/, (the church where daughter Deanna's ill-fated marriage took place, ) which is decidedly fundie.  

wow surprised that fundies now date! i thought they only courted and that hanging out with males was a no no for single girls. I guess there are diferent type of fundies, not all the same grade of conservative. If you see Lydia instagram without knowing about her family i would think her as a regular tumblr hipster girl! And sure i understand one can be fundie and still wear cool clothes and have not stereotypical interests , but a Nirvana tshirt its just too anti-fundie like if you are a real fundie that is just so against your ideals that makes no sense.

46 minutes ago, Diana said:

wow surprised that fundies now date! i thought they only courted and that hanging out with males was a no no for single girls. I guess there are diferent type of fundies, not all the same grade of conservative. If you see Lydia instagram without knowing about her family i would think her as a regular tumblr hipster girl! And sure i understand one can be fundie and still wear cool clothes and have not stereotypical interests , but a Nirvana tshirt its just too anti-fundie like if you are a real fundie that is just so against your ideals that makes no sense.

I don't know what to tell you. They've always been into secular entertainment. If you're really curious I would suggest reading the old blog and not just judging from their instagram accounts. 

11 minutes ago, ladyamylynn said:

I don't know what to tell you. They've always been into secular entertainment. If you're really curious I would suggest reading the old blog and not just judging from their instagram accounts. 

Thanks but i already know their blog, i used to read it back in the day, they were like one of the first fundie family blogs i found. But even if then they werent as stric as other fundies and more charismatic, they still have changed a lot.

Like they were against divorce, dating, women working outside the home, the girls couldn't dye their hair until marriage and only if their husbands would give them permission, they always wore skirts in public, and where all about dressing femenine, all the girls had long hair, they preached about how good it was living isolated in the country away from the dangers of the world.. as soon as the husband lost the job they went to live in the city, the girls started all to work outside home, as baristas and at a gym not only as nannies or for their families like most fundies do. They started to wear inmodest clothing  and pants all the time, cut off their hair, dyed it, started dating guys, their oldest daughter divorced her fundie husband, then went to live with a bf for a time, now is renting a room alone, but her parents had not disown her despite she living against all their alleged believes. They all have social media, their own phones, they drive, they have a freedom i dont see other fundie girls having. 

So either they changed some of their believes in an eye blink or they just didnt believe in some of that for real and just pretended to be more fundie to be cool in VF.

I'm a big lurker (this might be my 2nd or 3rd post ever....I digress), and I've been following the Coghlan's for years, back since the early "4 moms, 35 kids" days. The church Perry is a pastor in has to be hardcore fundie. Joe Rosales went to Greyfriars Hall (the pastoral training program of Doug Wilson/Christ Church in Moscow, ID). I was at Joe and Rachel's wedding (Rachel was my neighbor, Joe liked to hang out in the garage with my husband) and watched them both nod exuberantly as Doug Wilson explained that Eve's original sin was not in eating the apple and disobeying god, but in making the decision to eat the apple, because she didn't have the authority to decide that for herself. And then he admonished Rachel that she too was strong-willed and would have to be sure to always be submissive. I was basically too shocked at what I was hearing to move. His plan was to be a "church planter", so I suspect that aside from just being "reformed" that this church is somewhat under Christ Church's umbrella and guidance. 

By "hardcore fundie" I definitely mean beliefs, not that they all wear frumpers. I think the reformed movement is far more dangerous, in that people think they act "normally" and look like everyone else, but they are just as dogmatic and damaging. 

Kim has an old blog entry from 2013 on why they wear shorts/pants. Even though she claims they always wore them sometimes, the post has a fair bit of hand-wringing about the blurring of gender lines and how hard it is to find appropriately modest pants. 

http://inashoe.com/2013/10/4-moms-why-we-dont-always-wear-skirts/

I don't think Kim and Perry have changed at all, I just don't think the kids are as into the life as their parents are. If that's the case, the parents have a choice in how they react. Mocking and shunning them can lead to a Jeub-like backlash. Trying to insist that their adult children follow the rules while the kids blatantly ignore them invites accusations of hypocrisy and damages their image. Without a blog (and without the connection to VF), Kim just doesn't have to talk about their religious beliefs or child-raising theories anymore. And to give them some credit, acceptance of their children's choices allows them all to maintain a relationship, which I'm assuming Kim and Perry would want. 

21 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

Or numbs some of their followers to the cultishness of it all. I remember hearing rumors that our church was referred to as a cult by people outside the church (maybe even a pastor or two, of other churches?) but it was easily dismissed by our pastor and elders as envy, on the part of the other pastors, and also as ridiculous, because our pastor had a really bad "dad garage rock band" and was buds with pseudo hipsters like Bayly, Sproul Jr., and Wilson, just to name a few. Yup, our church was in the thick of "reformed" (yeah, we were going to reclaim lost xtianity) "celebrity" (because, outside our circles, I bet there aren't a whole lot who would recognize those names) xtianity.

It's frustrating that people sounding warnings can be dismissed as "persecution" -- something to be proud of (it's biblical!) and a sign that you're right, and they're wrong, and so you need to double down on your efforts.

20 hours ago, Diana said:

I think they are still obviously conservative closed minded people, but sometimes i wonder if the image they sold of themselves in their blog was just a lie all along, or a exageration. And i think the only reason they dont go to collegue is because they cant afford it.

All the better to tithe, my dear.

When I add up the tithes we paid to our former church over two decades, well, it would have been enough, if invested in a college fund, to send all our kids to college.

ETA: Wish we could sue the church for spiritual malpractice and get our tithe money back. The only benefit we got was to be able to claim it as a tax deduction. It wasn't worth it.

19 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Re: bolded. Yet another fundie male who calls himself a "pastor" with absolutely no quals or training.

Unless, of course, to be a fundie pastor is to excel in lying, cheating, grifting, stealing & extorting money from your congregation. If so, Perry got the equivalent of at least a Master's from Doug Phillips Is A Rapist while working for VF.

Not to mention: life lesson learned. Beware any church that styles itself as a "kirk". Except perhaps if it's physically located in Scotland.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/12/2016 at 5:51 PM, Diana said:

Thanks but i already know their blog, i used to read it back in the day, they were like one of the first fundie family blogs i found. But even if then they werent as stric as other fundies and more charismatic, they still have changed a lot.

Like they were against divorce, dating, women working outside the home, the girls couldn't dye their hair until marriage and only if their husbands would give them permission, they always wore skirts in public, and where all about dressing femenine, all the girls had long hair, they preached about how good it was living isolated in the country away from the dangers of the world.. as soon as the husband lost the job they went to live in the city, the girls started all to work outside home, as baristas and at a gym not only as nannies or for their families like most fundies do. They started to wear inmodest clothing  and pants all the time, cut off their hair, dyed it, started dating guys, their oldest daughter divorced her fundie husband, then went to live with a bf for a time, now is renting a room alone, but her parents had not disown her despite she living against all their alleged believes. They all have social media, their own phones, they drive, they have a freedom i dont see other fundie girls having. 

So either they changed some of their believes in an eye blink or they just didnt believe in some of that for real and just pretended to be more fundie to be cool in VF.

Well, you're wrong about one thing. They totally disowned me lol. And I'm excommunicated (for living with said bf).

My family hasn't changed any of their core beliefs at all. They are just no longer being peer pressured by all those legalistic hypocrites into pretending that they have a problem with pop entertainment, normal clothes, or pretty hairstyles. 

Hi guys! Just by the way haha

Deanna

22 minutes ago, Denonner said:

Well, you're wrong about one thing. They totally disowned me lol. And I'm excommunicated (for living with said bf).

My family hasn't changed any of their core beliefs at all. They are just no longer being peer pressured by all those legalistic hypocrites into pretending that they have a problem with pop entertainment, normal clothes, or pretty hairstyles. 

Deanna

Welcome to Free Jinger, Deanna.   I'm sorry to hear that your parents have taken that route :(   I hope you are happy with your CHOSEN lifestyle and are able to move on with your life.

I hope you stick around and post more (not necessarily dishing dirt on your family) of your own views on the topics here.   It's always nice to have the perspective of people who have lived or been forced to live in the lifestyles we discuss here.

30 minutes ago, Denonner said:

Deanna

Hi Deanna! I also want to extend a welcome. I've been following your family since before Perry was born. I'm sorry to hear that you've gone through this. Like Curious said, anything you'd like to chime in on, we'd be interested in hearing.

Oh, welcome, Deanna! I think you're brave and amazing. Was so happy when you got out of that marriage and seemed to find your wings. I hope you're able to find peace with your family, yon were so close with your siblings. 

Archived